Why do most new video games now suck so much?

I'm genuinely asking. Most western indie devs seem to mainly make artshit, early access survival game #whatever, or YouTube bait, and for some reason this seems to overshadow actually okay games like Betrayer or Shantae or Torchlight 2. Most western AAA games are basic TPS interactive movies, dumbed down reboots, or now apparently TF2 clones. Most big budget Japanese games seem to basically take inspiration from western shit like MGSV being a generic third person shooter now, Final Fantasy 15 barely looking like an RPG now, RE7 going the indie spooky horror route now, some Japanese games being weebshit, and as for the indie Japanese games I never really pay attention to them so I don't know if they're good or not

What happened to generations like the Dreamcast/PS2/GBA one? There were so many fun games everywhere even if they werent perfect ones everyone remembers, what the hell went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

meaningness.com/metablog/geeks-mops-sociopaths
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Higher budget to make anything and most gamers being retards

Low standards

Is this the reason for NuDoom getting high scores despite being okay? I mainly played the demo and it felt like a slower Serious Sam 3, I can only think people would like it if they only played Duke Nukem Forever or Half Life 2 before this.

When did gamers become retards though? Also, why do games need these massive budgets now? Uncharted 4 is high budget and it doesnt look at all different from its PS3 entries. Even games like Silent Hill 3 which don't seem to have any budget stated, but that can easily pass for a current gen game with how good it looks.

You see, user. when anything gets popular, the bigger companies always try to make more money. in doing so they sacrifice what makes it unique in order to attract those who dont like what they used to put out. combine that with people who genuinly like games casually getting lower and lower standards, and expecting such unrealistic sales expectations that even a game with a few mil sales will still be a failure and you have a recipe for a failing industry. and then those big companies have contempt for the people who got them that big by rebooting series for the casual video game hating audience so the more hardcore gamers leave. really its more contempt making vidya bad, the big companies genuinly hate us and just want to get the casuals to give them money.

in short, blame casuals.

Because they're not selling games anymore, they're selling hype

Because of you.
For shame!

This.

I'm not excited or interested for a single game coming out for this year or 2017.

what the fuck? seriously.

Because most devs nowadays are trying to make "art" or "unique experiences" instead of making something fun

I honestly cant believe thats possible with video games but now it is. Its honestly more fun to emulate older games and look for ones youve never heard of instead of hoping on new modern game will end up mediocre or decent.

Does Dark Souls 3 Expansion DLC count, or are you some kind of faggot?

I think one of the biggest problems is the focus on graphics while at the same time optimization is piss poor for these games. This industry is in dire need of some talented coders.

Have you noticed sequels for games are either just BAD or just disappointing to say the least?
The last good sequel (or I guess in this case reboot) I ever played that I somewhat enjoyed was XCOM 1&2, the only problem is that they didn't feel as good as the old ones, but they were still generally enjoyable. Killing Floor 2, despite having many flaws, felt like an okay FPS (again not as good as the original), and then they decided to put a fucking hipster into the character cast FOR NO REAL FUCKING REASON, still struggling to get themselves out of Early Access, microtransactions, etc. The there was Demon Souls and Dark Souls which I actually enjoyed alot, but then the rest of the series fucking killed itself by trying to add cool new features, but at the same time removing some and taking many steps back (Minus Bloodborne). Then there's NuDOOM, it's not even that horrible but a-fucking-gain, will never be anywhere as good as the original.
Then there was Fallout 3, which was just overall bad, Fallout:New Vegas that tried it's hardest to stick to the lore and add a bunch of new and interesting mechanics that Fallout 3 didn't making it a overall upgrade, and then comes Fallout 4 which tries to add things in but then removes anything related to "RPG" at the same time. You noticing a pattern here? GTA:San Andres, everyone's favorite chimp out simulator, then came GTA4, while it didn't have nearly as many features as San Andres, it still felt somewhat solid, and then enter GTA5 which tries to add alot, but at the same time removes alot and with a no-fun allowed Multiplayer.
Seriously i'm convinced that any sequels made for a game in *CURRENT YEAR* will simply be disappointing when comparing it to the original.

im only excited for persona 5 and looking forward to for honor just because its looks the least bad of all the western games besides the new south park.
so 3 games out of how many are released/going to be released. thats appalling , how can the industry get this bad?

Do you have any idea just how many utter dogshit games were released back then? And that, with more rigorous curation by publishers and localizers, keeping the out and out garbage away from your market.

You're looking back with nostalgia glasses while intentionally wading through a dumpster. Shit games have always been the norm and great games have always been rare.

Steam, consoles, mobile.

No opinion on 2017, but most hyped AAA games this year got forgotten in 1-2 days, though i must be missing some indie games.

"too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the sauce" or something like that. When something becomes a multibillion dollar production, something in the way of artistic vision is lost.

For me the biggest issue is that every time I buy a Western game there's a very high chance I'm giving money to SJWs. So I've stopped buying them.

Shadow Warrior 2 looks okay

Even some bad games back then are entertaining in their own way. I dont think theres ever been a single bad game recently, just mediocre ones which is even worse if you ask me because you dont feel shit while playing them.

EDF 4.1 was fun

Nier 2 and Persona 5 also look fun, despite the localization team probably fucking them up.

Vid related
casuals, noobs, plebs… they have many names

The industry just needs more talent in general. We need better designers with an auteur sense who actually know how to make a game fun yet deep design/mechanic wise, or else we'll get cinematic experiences/just plain shallow games. We need better programmers who can actually optimise a game well, or else we'll get glitchy, low fps messes that need the highest of power to even run at minimum graphics. We need better graphic designers so games can look aesthetically pleasing, and easy for the eyes to rest on/ add some visual flair.
But no, instead we have failed film directors who have no fucking clue how to design a video game, coders who can't optimise for shit, and graphic designers who either create worthless pixel art for indies, waste fuckloads of time to create a generic realistic style that'll suffer from an identity crisis, or create a bland as fuck, neo-Pixar/Disney/Anime style that's insulting to the eyes with just how plain it looks.
Having more competent coders won't magically solve the problems in the game industry.

Pic related: We need more of these guys working together.

This shit is more accurate now than it is back when it launched.

Let's answer this step by step.

Triple-A publishers are hellbent on finding more and more ways to monetize and control the use of their games. Gutting them for content to sell back to us for as much as the full price of the game itself, preorder and hype culture selling games based on paper-thin promises and bonuses to enforce a "have and have-nots" mindset, always online and other drm to enforce closed environments to play on, season passes so you can preorder more gutted content, etc. They're not looking to create a whole product to sell then move onto the next, they want to continuously dip from the same well and get as much money they can before everyone starts hating them (at which point they apologize, stop for a bit, then go right back to doing the same shit but in more subtle ways and with less resistance due to desensitization).

To these publishers, making some money isn't good enough - making all the money is what they want. This is why a game like Tomb Raider after being turned into r63!Uncharted with tacked on multiplayer can sell millions and still fail, and why EA held Dead Space for ransom at 5 million copies on top of the microtransactions they forced upon the game. They've become so obsessed with pushing for more and more profits that they'll destroy any brand name just to give in to a rising fad, pander to the lowest common denominator, take as much away from the base game to sell back as scraps, and say whatever words to the public that will net them the most hype. It's like Hollywood blockbusters taken up to eleven. One can only hope that the mad rush for cash will bring their bloated budgets and poor retention crashing down hard on the CEO's heads sometime soon.

I'll tackle the rest tomorrow if the thread is still up.

the cause of that can be traced back to the sharesholders that constantly keep demanding more and more money than before.

Please do, these are always interesting to hear.

The reality is these guys had a huge advantage. Expectations were lower. The field was more open. There was less competition.

First of all it's still incredibly difficult to get funding. Even with kickstarter money, even with a company backing you, it's super risky, and it's super easy to go over budget. People need to eat, the cost of living is going up constantly. Even in cheaper areas of the world.

Getting good isn't free. It takes thousands of hours of practice. Getting so many skilled guys together who can produce master works is super difficult too. First you have to find the guys, then you have to convince them to work together. Meanwhile they can probably get higher paying jobs working for EA where their talent will be wasted and squandered.

If you want things to change then

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE

the chace for graphics is also a contributing factor
I was fine with PS2 era graphics, but they just have to keep pushin and overbloating the budgets

could it be a chase for graphics anymore if we havent seen any big improvments in years?

It doesn't matter whether they are forgotten, so long as enough people buy it, and of course, so long as it keeps selling, the companies will continue this same practice until it stops working.

Don't own a next gen console and probably never will.

What're you talking ab-
EIGHT YEARS AGO
AND NOTHING'S CHANGED

It's gotten worse…
I don't know how you can be so optimist user

Even so, when people look back decades later, they'll always care more about what you made, rather than who you were. If you made a shit game, but was rich as fuck, no one will care about you, or your product. You'll leave no legacy behind, and will be another waste of life.
Conversely, if you were to make a shit game, and blame it on how poor you were, people still wouldn't really give a shit decades later. They might occasionally bring up your game as a sorta "what could've been" and pity you for a brief moment, but at the end of the day, they'll just go back to playing some fucking doom.
Competency should match compassion.
Jackie Chan was pretty much on point here.
I actually am in training right now to enter the industry and make a change. I don't even care if I live an utterly shit life, as long as I can help change this fucking joke we're in right now, and continue the legacy from the 90's/early 00's.

A lot has changed for the worst.

This is true to some extent, the gap between a good game and a bad one is much smaller now. However, in prior generations, gameplay concepts weren't as solidified as they are now. Devs didn't necessarily have more freedom from publishers, but it was difficult to nail down what worked, so had more room to experiment. That's no longer the case, with an indie scene that's built on QUIRKINESS or nostalgia tripping and the AAA scene dominated by committee by design types. So the result is that the floor is higher, the ceiling is lower and a large amount of games can be described as mediocre sludge.

And that's probably worse. Give me a pile of shit games mixed in with some truly exceptional ones rather than a pile full of noting but AssCreed.

There are plenty of great new games, do your own research.

Because you're living in the moment. A decade from now, you'll look back on this as a golden age and wonder why games are so shit then.

How well do you remember the Sanic clones of the 90s? The Doom knock offs? Or what about the quick cash grabs trying to make a buck off of Pac-man fever or Donkey Kong? Hell, remember when we'd complain about the shooter genre being dead because of CoD?

Time washes away the shit and leaves us the gems to enjoy.

but what games made this year or even last year can be considered good. ps2 had a lot of genuinly good games, but ps4 has yakuza, bloodborne, edf, and i cant remember alot else.

PS4 has nothing because Sony is dying. Like, legitimately dying, the only division that's made profits is the games department and this has been going on for years now.

For this year, Subnautica is supposed to come out this year, I think. Hawaiian Pokemon looks pretty fun. Stardew Valley came out a few months ago, was made by a single developer, and was a pretty good iteration of the Harvest Moon model even if it leaned more on Rune Factory than I would have liked. Personally, I'm excited for the next Civ game- even numbers have traditionally built up on what odd numbers pioneered. Bannerlord will hopefully be out this year.

Those are off the top of my head and I'd have to actually comb through my library to find the exact years they were made.

im talking genuinely good games like god hand and mgs 3, not just games youve enjoyed. games that can be classics in 10 years. this gen really has nothing. and this gen probably wont have nothing besides maybe neir 2.

*I'd have to actually comb through my library to find more games and the exact years they were made.

All the games I listed were from this year. I don't really "get hype" much anymore but will buy a game after the fact if there's enough good vibes about it.

user, god Hand is practically a meme game. It's "good" because IGN gave it such a negative review- it's a solid 6 or possibly 7 at best.

Plus, "this gen" is meaningless since gaming has moved to PCs or cellphones. The Xboners a non-issue, Sony's self destructing, and the only console maker still in the business of making games is Nintendo. And they're almost exclusively first party.

Good games are all about opinions and there's no way to objectively prove to you that there's a really good game coming out this year.

They forgot that video games were supposed to fun.

I think one of the main problems is they've started to stick to templates for what makes them money or not with the average consumer. Same shit as with most movies. Too many dumb idiots living on credit and buying their garbage.

have you played god hand, it is probably the best game on the ps2. i wish someone made a spiritual sequel.

look who's fucking talking

za keeng oh faitahs fohteen

Persona 5, Mother Russia Bleeds and some game from /agdg/

And hey maybe we get that necromancer game from hopoo.

Yes, I've fucking played it. It's stiff, unresponsive, and actually pretty slow for the most part. Enemies are spongier than they should be for a beat'em up and the controls need to be more fluid.

The gameplay tends to get repetitive since most of the enemies are so similar. The highlights are the bosses, since they require some timing and learning to get right, but they're not enough to make the game great as a whole. The game's voice acting is terrible, the writing is mediocre, and the humor was too Nipponese for my tastes.

I gave it a six or seven out of ten. That's above middle of the pack. For reference, that's about what I'd give Fallout 2 or Overlord.

Advancement of tech is to blame too. I'm so fucking sick of realism in games.

I want a clear seperation and I want games to look worse than real life and have a different aesthetic so I know I'm playing a game.

I just hate how people believe that better graphics means a better game. Literally no one is amazed at CGI anymore.

It's not about passion anymore. It's about publishers min/maxing quality to cost now. Gaming is essentially Hollywood 2.0 and it will be drained dry as standards decline with each 12 year old thinking microtransactions, preorders bonuses, and buggy releases are the norm/OK.

When did this shit start again?

and judging by how kiked out those two platforms are, it really shouldn't have.

MMOs. So probably early 2000s when Korean games started hitting the web.

I'm looking forward to SMT IV: Apocalypse.

Other than that, yeah. Modern vidya is pretty much shit.

It means easier distribution methods and that equals a larger cut of the market being available to independent developers. It means a boom in the number of games being made from excellent to dogshit and everything in between.

The profit motive eliminates any genuine care and interest a development team can have in a game.

Games are being made in a formulaic way that conforms to set standards that were built in the past thirty years, but those standards are like writing the same book every year, or releasing the same movie. This is also happening.

When people only make games to make money then they lose any reason to make them good. They just need to sell, and marketing can guarantee that over quality.

i honestly think my standards for video games are absurdly high

When gaming became more and more mainstream

Gaming began in the mainstream. It was a hobby. For kids. In arcades. For kids. Out in public. Filled with kids.

lolno

Pong was ridiculously popular with adults when it first came out and the lines were so long sometimes people camped outside new arcades.

You mean kids? My mom had a pong game, but she was twenty at the time.

You are the reason gaming is dying. It is your fault that the PS4, Xbone, Wii U, and 3DS all struggled to sell even half as many units as their predecessors. Your shit taste is why the games which you "like" will soon disappear from this plane of existence.

The original Pong prototype was installed in a bar (not a restaurant) to see how things would go. The next day it had been pumped so full of quarters that the slot actually overflowed (and the prototype didn't even need quarters to play, people just assumed it did).

There can be good dlc. Stuff like level packs, full on expansions, new weapons, stuff that doesnt warrent a new game, but would make the game more fun. But shit like what ea does with making day 1 dlc and cosmetics are shit.

Not a game for everyone and I don't mean that on a patrician sense, but it really sucks you in if you like it.

I enjoyed p3 so much i played it 4 times it was p3p so 2 times each on mc and femc

Because Western Civilization is dying from within, it is slowly becoming unable to sustain itself. It's not just video games, everything is shit now and it's only going to get worse.

get a ps2 you gigantic faggot

Honstly, i watched a streamer play it and the cutscenes didnt add alot to it, and the uncontrolled teammates looked annoying.

Some cunt posted this in a mech thread the other day and I reckon this is part of the problem, at least outside of the obvious and deliberate dumbing-down of videogames.

Stll waiting on Space Hulk Deathwing, but I know how you feel user.

Another faucet of that problem is Game programmers get paid peanuts today because there's so many retards looking to make games that publishers feel game programmers are expendable.

This is basically where I'm at as well.

On the plus side, old games are cheap, and since you have to buy them used now, you're not giving any money to the companies, so you're not indirectly supporting the current state of affairs.

That applies to all programmers, really. Hell, it applies to all STEM at the moment.

We have this thread every week. They all realized quantity over quality is the best formula if you care about making money and they could get away with shitting out some pretty awful things in quantity while still getting everybody to lap it up. Why would they care about making a good product if they can put in 1/20th of the effort and make just as much if not more money? It's really not their fault, it's the gamer's fault for being so fucking stupid that they're never willing to put their foot down when blatant anticonsumer corporations are beating them like money pinatas with practices like DLC and early access.

Not really. Only cheap consoles to buy games for that i can think of are Xbox/360, the first 3 playstations(2 is by far the cheapest, games that are like 80 bucks on other consoles are only 15-20 there) and the REALLY old shit, like atari.

I agree. If they used the greater resources they have now on gameplay or functionality instead of graphics, they could make some great stuff. Imagine if TES could actually handle large battles, for example.

Just because *we* realize we're at the point of diminishing returns doesn't mean the suits do.

you forgot about the part where Tripwire updated their EULA to outright remove your game for any sexist, racist, or bullying remarks in any of their games in any servers.

I sincerely wish you luck and hope you can do that.

I disagree, I think you can learn basic knowledge of game theory through playing games. It'll take longer, but everything leaves patterns.

it's an industry that is much larger than it used to be. For more money, it has been pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Gaming will never be good again.

They butchered since the e3 2015 video.
They took a game that had no HUD and fast-paced gameplay and gave it the most intrusive, annoying HUD ever and slowed it down.

I don't think that's necessarily true. It wasn't so much that concepts hadn't solidified; it was that they hadn't yet decided what concept would appeal most to the lowest common denominator and get the most profit for the least effort.

Personally, I think this is one of the most important reasons, if not *the* most important reasons, that things are the way they are now. In the past, a lot of the more creative, experimental, and unique stuff came from AA games. Since everything wasn't trying to be a blockbuster, they had the freedom to make games that were good but didn't need to appeal to everyone. Games didn't require the same amount of resources to make, either. This did mean that there was also a lot of shovelware or just plain bad games, but it was a small price to pay for having a greater variety of games to choose from.

Indeed. Things turned to shit when the game industry started wanting to be Hollywood.

With no incentive to do anything unless it makes money it was always going to happen that way

Jews.

and if you can't make the simple connection.. the jews put their hands on videogames when they realized the domain generates more profit than the movie industry and is as important culturally.

I can't fucking stand when people say that. There's nothing wrong with wanting good stories in games. I dislike the current state of the medium as much as anyone, but I don't think stories simply don't belong in games.

listen up you underage faggots, here is the real reason AAA games are garbage

It all starts with the death and rebirth of the B-movie

The B-movie was started with the double feature in Hollywood in the 1930s

The B-movie slowly began dying off by the 90s and early 2000s as audiences expected higher and higher budget films

So with the b-movie no longer financially making sense, where else can shitty hackjob low-budget writers and directors make quick bucks?

The answer: Video Games!

Because video games are an interactive media, the standard for game stories is incredibly low, so B-list writers can write for video games and get good scores and heafty paychecks on what would otherwise be a mediocre story in a Hollywood film.

Now we go to game reviewers, because they are indeed also at fault

Game reviewers, aside from being ayed off to shill, also fill an important roll; as the content aggregaters of the game industry, their job is to maliciously give mediocre or even poor video game stories a high score. This keeps the standard for writing in video games low, which is good for shitty writers. Hollywood critics don't tolerate bad stories, and bad writers know this, thats why they went for video games

So tl;dr The problem is between B-movie writers and tabloid critics

But hey its just a theory!

the best games I played had no story, but were innovative and attention to detail was paid.

There was an article (or was it just a cap) that explained how AAA games were taken over by VFX artists and other film school rejects that's why there were so many cinematic, super-realistic poorly optimized products.

On the other hand, making car chases, explosions, gunfights, and other action scenes are ridiculously expensive for films, but ridiculously cheap for games. (It's actually making believable, nuanced characters that don't break the uncanny valley that is hard for games).

I for one am so glad for the B-movie influence in games.

six reasons

1: anything AAA is generally trying to shoehorn in some political message or another
2: higher budget = less innovation (more to lose)
3: lower standards, since 90% of games are pandering to the lowest common denominator
4: DLC/day 1 patches are now the norm. show me the last game that was actually complete on launch
5: unbelievable marketing budgets = less money to actually make a good game
6: you're getting older and are harder to please than you once were

normalfags suck up garbage as long as it shines brightly enough, so there's no incentive to innovate.

I'm talking about you guys too. You claim to hate AAA games so much, but as soon as another comes out you're out there lining up to buy them.

Rule number one; as long as you pay for it and/or give it attention, the company doesn't give a fuck what you think about it.

You underage b&s just don't remember all garbage of times past.

Even these examples were somehow standing out to be remembered now. There's plenty of even worse garbage in history.

nice bait

you show me another game where i can sentence a fat person to four years in the cubes for being fat and i'll take your bait

also revenant's combat system was fun as hell

Things seem to have reversed from popular, well known franchises and games being good, to having to actively look for the good games underneath all of the trash releases nowadays.

Jesus fucking christ, you idiot, making cheap crap films and selling them is much easier than it has ever been.

A mix of focus groups, idiots accepting whatever falls on their lap because of brand loyalty/tribe mentality and devs beings told to appeal to a "wider audience".
Probably some other shit but those seems like the most egregious.

Bauman is a German name, not a Jewish one.

I honestly dont get this image, this wouldnt make the hobby itself die off just change the location you do it in, the hobby in this example hasn't changed just a bunch of nonces used it as an excuse to fuck about, they arnt even taking part in the hobby by the end. The only people who can have an actual effect on a hobby are the people who give money to it or at least who the producers think will buy it.
Take Nioh for example with the difference between the 1st and 2nd demo and when users complained about how hard it was, this wasnt outsiders who play games becuase its hip to be a nerd or whatever bullshit, these are people who are shit at games partially enjoyed a hard game so demanded it changed more to their liking (i.e. easier) there was a big enough outcry for this that the game was changed, the dev probably didn't want to but the producers see an opportunity to make more money, and what do you know it ends up working and the game sells more becuase of its wider appeal to more casual gamers, so the producers stick to this and makes games easier so more can play it.
This would be where independent developers save the day by being free to make whatever they like but most dont know how to make videogames and end up making wanky "experiences" that appeal to hipster casuals who think they are worth more because they ain't giving money to a big corporation when in reality all they are doing is giving money to an idiot

move to third world country like Australia Indonesia m8

I think you deliberately misinterpret the situation to support your own narrative.
DLC is a distribution scheme primarily, and a marketing scheme secondarily.
How these schemes are employed is up the publisher/developer. I agree that it feels like in most cases nowadays, it is used in a way that seems detrimental to the quality of the actual base product, as is the case with micro-transactions.
However, Fromsoft has proven with The Old Hunters, Artorias of the Abyss and the Crowns that they are capable of delivering a positively majestic expansion of the base content through this route, so I'm cautiously optimistic about DaS3's DLC.

ay fak u, cunt

wat? u wana fight cunt?

Go to bunnings, buy cement build a bridge get over it cunt

The Japanese doujin scene still seems to be doing somewhat ok. Good luck on actually getting your hands on those games, though. Some of them are only sold in physical form on otaku conventions. Those that break from the "doujin spirit" sometimes upload their stuff to online stores like DLsite, but good luck on finding that one specific game on warez sites if you're out of dosh. Even if you finally download it, you still need to bother with the language barrier, because good look finding a translation patch for your specific game.

Oh, and while we're talking about indie, sometimes, and I say sometimes, you can find some nice gems on sites like itch.io or Game Jolt. You have to wad through a lot of shitty art games and visual novels to find them.

There are also free/libre games, but… Those games are usually stuck in development hell, and sometimes take years of updates before they actually become really good. Then only to die unexpectedly - RIP Warsow.

I don't understand why they all don't just upload their doujin games somewhere eventually. Like, say, after a year or two. It's not like they're still making money off it and there's they can feel good that so many more people can enjoy their game. If it gets really popular, then they can copyright it and go full Natsujew.

literally
meaningness.com/metablog/geeks-mops-sociopaths

Dunno. I think they mostly do it for the craft. Most doujin folks already have stable jobs, either as typical salarymen or already working in the game biz, so they aren't as concerned about money and publicity.

You're correct but that's ancient knowledge. Even the goddam Bible is bringing up this point.

They could submit it anonymously for archival purposes. It makes me so sad when someone spends all their time creating what could possibly be a good game and they don't even share it with the world beyond selling it at a convention for 500 yen a pop. It's like losing the Library of Alexandria all over again.

The circles don't see it like that. If anything, they look down on Westerners sharing their content overseas. Somebody reported that he had to promise to the doujin at the booth that he wouldn't upload their stuff.
It's the same spiel every Reitaisai/Comiket again over at 4/jp/.

B-b-but why? Western hobbyist devs have no qualms about spamming Steam Greenlight with their Cockroach Simulators.

At least put it up somewhere, are they that anti-internet or xenophobic?

Just what in the fuck

WHY

I don't think it's xenophobia based on race, it seems more like a clubhouse mentality, and if you don't go to these conventions you're not part of the club and don't deserve to enjoy their works.
Purely speculation, though.

I think they're just a bit too archaic. Digital-only releases are frowned upon.
Also, only mentioned it in passing, but the "doujin spirit" does play a role in all this.
Direct contact between creator and fan is important, same as lack of "organisation" and middle-men (as in, no centralised publishing).

The people who tout shit phrases like that are the ones who ruined the industry in the first place. They are the ones that claim RTS like C&C are too old fashioned to be fun anymore and so games like C&C 4 got made. They are the ones who say you can't have a turn based final fantasy anymore. Etc. etc.

Video games are not a fucking science. Programming and some of the design aspects are, but what is "fun" or not can't be boiled down to a science. Gameplay doesn't become outdated. A game made 20 years ago isn't outdated. It hasn't "aged poorly". It hasn't changed at all. The perception of the audience can change, but the games do not.

The problem is the industry controls what is perceived as good or not. They have for a long while now been able to shape gamer perception about what is acceptable or needed. The "hype" is nothing but a form of brainwashing, convincing the majority (who parrot all the hype to each other) that X is what they want.

All of us here are just the culmination of this process. We are those who have become so jaded by the process that we see through it. Some of it is also having lived long enough to know what is quality and what isn't, and to suffer through repeatedly being told that what we want "isn't fun" and "can't be made anymore."

I'm so fucking sick of that excuse. Of the mentality that you improve on what came before by ripping out 90% of it and replacing it with shit.

What was bad about Revenant besides poor equipment variation and a forgettable story?

But Tekken 7…

I don't care about fighting games.

because games are now just a means to advertise hardware

It is fucking depressing isn't it. Even fucking Pyscho Circus living up to todays games.

Also fuck you Chasm had always been gud, it is literally a Quake clone with clowns and vikings.

Here a video that explains everything.

Filesize limits have changed to total filesize of all files so I can't post both anymore.

*Continued

Because the target audience changed.

A few large corporations have cornered the western video game market, and much like hollywood, the marketing is more important than the actual product. It's all about money instead of quality.

Japan has had a huge talentpool exodus. And they don't seem to have ever made a comfortable transition into the increased time and resources required for development cycles with more advanced technology.

A shame.

I share that sentiment but in this context i belive he meant that stories should not be the main focus of a game

The Last of Us got praised by everyone cus of its top notch presentation and it's well written story, but good luck trying to get any of those fanboys to talk about the gameplay cus they'll either immediatelly sperg out or try to change the subject to avoid mentioning that the gameplay consists of a broken monotonous stealth mechanic, generic cover based third person shotter, a watered down version of Uncharted's fighting sistem, anda poorly implemented bare bones scavenging and crafting system, not to mention the complete lack of exploration, puzzles or plataforming

The gameplay of TLOU falls on it's face but because it had a good story and presentation everybody held it as the second comming of Christ and those of us who actually expected challenging mechanics out of our vydia where labeled as contrarian haters and "everything wrong with video game fans" by the Mindless normalfags, Mainstream Goys, Bandwaggon Jumpers, Hype Chacers, Hivemind Consumer, Corporate Lapdogs, Brand Whores, Marketing Sheeple, Trend Followers, or whatever you want to call those Filthy Casuals fucking up our hobby

Im somewhat interested in SMT4:A to see how they fixed what was wrong with 4, but I heard the Friendship route is P4 tier cancer and all the DLC is putting me off even bothering pirating it with the SMT pandering why does Demi-Fiend look like an utter faggot now and fucking Beach DLC. Persona 5 looks pretty alright from what they have shown. Outside that, fucking nothing. Most modern gaymang companies have become different degrees of cancer but thanks to retarded casuals they will never die.

I sure hope you guys do not do this.

Remember there was a time DLCs where called addons.

There's nothing wrong with hype user
The moment i saw the first trailer of Ori and The Blind forest i picked my jaw of the floor, and when y heard about AM2R i jumped of joy

the problem is when people get blinded by hype, and mindlessly buy shit day one (or preorder) then once they realize it's shit they enter a state of perpetual denial and start perfoming mental gimnastics to deffed their purchace

I for one belive i've played enough shit to be able to determine the quality of games based on gameplay trailers, so i can tell right away if i will like a game or not, sometime i'm wrong but it doesn't usually happen, an before buying anything i always check user reviews or reviews of people i know like the particvular tipe of game (Ej: i use Razorfist for Sistem shock Thief style games and Britgamer for crazy action games) if not, i seek the most destructive review of a game i can find (usually Yatzee) and if the stuff they are shitting on doesn't bother me that much i give the game a try

I don't even know what the fuck has released this year, it feels so…empty. At least 2014 and below had shit going on, even if it was shit.

I haven't enjoyed any games this year besides Grim Dawn and the WWE 2K16 PC port if that even counts.

get the fuck out

Time wasted on hype could be spent finding older vidya to play and enjoy.

And then instead of watching faked pre-release footage and trying to extrapolate, you could wait until release day, flip on a stream for 5 minutes and see, "Oh yeah, that looks like ass".

The guy is funny, and knows his shit when he critics something, he can be a sperg but i wouldn't like it if he weren't one

Yeah maybe my definition of hype is little bit more vanilla than most, what i mean when i say "I'm Hyped" is "I keep it in my radar" for example, right now the game i'm hyped about is Iconoclast, what little i've seen of it and the demo they made looked nice and fun
i'm still waiting for the game and keeping my ears up for any news about it and i signal boost anything i like among my friends, but that's as far as my hype goes, if the game comes out and is Mighty Nº9 tier piece of crap, my hype instatnly turn to dissapointed hatred

crap, forgot the video

It's not just video games that are shit nowadays.
Western society is dying

also for some reason the target audience for video games isn't people who actually play video games anymore

user, what you're describing is "interest", not hype. There's a clear difference.

I don't agree with *that*, either. Story being the main focus doesn't preclude a game having decent gameplay, and even if the gameplay isn't great, a good story is still entertaining.

There's room for all kinds of games. Demanding that no game should ever focus on story first is just as bad as demanding that every game should focus on story first. In both cases, you're insisting that every game should cater to your particular tastes.

I've played games with great gameplay but almost no story and games with a good story but average gameplay. I like both.

I fucked up. That post was meant for .

user a game is not a book, it is not a movie. It is fundamentally a game. Half the story should come from actually playing the god damned game and never told to you like a book or movie. Even Kojima the man infamous for making those heavy movie with gameplay games goes out of his way to make game mechanics that represent the theme to make the player feel and experience what the character goes through. Or tries to anyways with varying success like Psycho mantis fucking with your controller and reading your saved games on the PS1 to prove he's a psychic asshole or fighting the bad guy yourself instead of seeing it in a cutscene. I'm not even going to go into detail how concentrating on story first results in a shit game unless you really, really thoroughly plan that out because you'll only consider the story instead of the gameplay elements. If the gameplay is good players will naturally gravitate towards forming their own narrative around those mechanics (aka a form of immersion) but if the mechanics are shit then it's distracting and you might as well not even bother.

As a dev it should always be gameplay first story second.

Well the answer is obvious. Consoles are no longer gaming-machines. Their primary focus is no longer games. The last consoles to be purely for gaming where the 6th gen consoles, before they became streaming/Netflix/Hulu what have you machines. The mass market no longer is us, we probably represent maybe 20% of the market? So why would they ever "pander" (for lack of a better word) to us? It doesn't make sense economically. Just start working on your backlog, chances are you'll never finish it before you die anyway, there's very few things of value coming out in this day and age and likely it will be worse in the years to come.

no matter how corrupt and jewish publishers become, and no matter how many reviewers they put in their pockets and no matter how many series they "Streamline" and dumb down. It's still the consumers fault first for fucking enabling them with their incredibly low standards

because they are made for sheeples.

that where the money is! But alos, thats why tghe game need to be dumbed down, muh-walking simulator in space.

i'm glad i will be dead before the last pillars fall

You're not looking hard enough. I never play modern AAAshit and I still have too many fucking games to play.

Grim Dawn is fucking awesome. Enter the Gungeon is basically more of Isaac, and Isaac is fucking awesome. AM2R dropped recently and I've barely been able to tear myself away from it. Momodora is fun, features cute girls and a heavy Metroid/Dark Souls influence. EDF is amazing to play with Holla Forums, as is Planetside 2. Darkest Dungeon is a lot of fun to play, it reminds me of FTL, which is another good one. I also have a huge collection of Doom wads that I'm maybe ~10% of the way through.

If you want to be happier, you need to learn to tolerate things you don't necessarily like. Maybe you're not a fan of a game's graphics: who cares, everything else is good. Maybe the story is assfuck retarded: Doesn't matter, it's fun to play. Maybe you don't like the combat: if everything else is good, then play it to appreciate those other things instead.

I should also add that an abundance of options and things on your mind will shorten your attention span and lower your enjoyment. If you want to really enjoy a game, set everything aside, dim the lights, sit down and fucking PLAY it. No distractions, nothing else on your mind, give it your fullest attention. Just you and the game.

Doom 4 was actually pretty good and AAA wise is definitely one of the better releases in the past few years. I've been having way more fun with Doom 4 than I have with playing Doom 3.

You're right, Doom 4 is actually very good by AAA standards. The keywords there are 'by AAA standards'. It's riddled with the same stupid bullshit most AAA games fall to, but if that doesn't bother you, don't let anyone stop you from enjoying it.

It's definitely better than 3, but it's important to level your expectations, it's far from the classic that Doom 1 and 2 were.

This is all subjective, so there isn't much more to say except that I disagree. I don't have a problem with cutscenes telling the story instead of "forming my own narrative", and I don't think Kojima's fourth-wall-breaking was all that great.

Less games are being made now, thats why.

What used to be many smaller studios making many small games has no been lumped together into few gigantic studios making a few very expensive games.

There's a lot of details this leads to. All the eggs are repeatedly in one basket now.

Checked.

SRW V

He didn't say there weren't bad games back then, he said there aren't good games now. Which is true.

sorry bruh, creator became Swede cuck and often retweets Maya nd other members of the problem crew

you can pirate if you want to tough

And the reason there were a lot of bad games back then was because it was easier to make console games, which is also the reason a lot of mid-size developers were able to make a variety of good games.

Holla Forums isn't one person, any game that gets praised will also get shit on
you're also assuming everyone is paying for the games they're playing

Persona 5, Yakuza 0, and Nier 2…that's it.

good thing i bought a paperweight4

I'm looking forward to 4 games in the next 6 months. I'll tell you the secret AAA publishers don't want you to know.
Build a decent PC, ignore half of Holla Forums and give early access games a go even if you just pirate them to see how they are doing.

Corporational inertia, low-risk approach, lack of talented developers with good ideas.

Yeah, getting a few games was kinda worth it.

what was it the ps3 that came with a blue ray player in it. shit another thing that happened back around 2008 and it was cheaper than going out and buying a blue ray player

I agree with this.

It was the same with the PS2 and regular DVD players. The difference there was that the PS2's ability to play DVD movies was more of a positive side effect of the fact that its games were on DVDs. It was a gaming machine first and foremost, unlike current consoles that want to be all-purpose multimedia centers.

The deal breaker for me is the difficulty. New games are way to easy, especially my favourite genre - FPS.

I hate when there's "press x" when youre close to something you can interact with, or when the said object is glowing.
I hate regenerating health
I hate the fact you can beat lots of new games without even dying once

Modern games want to do awesome things but not put any effort into it.

Press X something awesome happens

Because they try hard to endear the lower denominator, which is the american idiot.

the reason games are bad now, is because video games are "mainstream" and the "mainstream" are all casual players who play with their dorm buddies after throwing the pigskin around and crackin open a couple of beers. so they make games that appeal to this majority of people. the actual hardcore people are the minority now. they used to be the majority which is why game devs actually had to put work in to get their games to sell. which is where we got good games

I was interested in this until I played the last boss fight in the demo. dual controls in a short time window are a fucking pain in the ass. learning that the dev is a swecuck sjw dicklicker finally snuffed out whatever interest I had left in this shitty cuck game. the irony is the game's story is about fighting the establishment, yet the dev can't gobble up authoritarian cum fast enough.

That's not really irony, since sjdubs love that anti-establishment power fantasy. They just haven't noticed yet that they're the new establishment.

WRONG
The answer is no standards. People keep buying and never ask themselves what they won't buy or what are the repercussions of buying.
It's what squidwards says when he's on strike "no one cares about the fate of free labor when they can get their instant gratification"
Next time play this game when somebody post or shills a shitty AAA, flavor of the month game, ask them a what point or what the company won't they buy a game. If they don't dismiss you or put in meme arrows while posting and anime girl you will end up with something that either sets your computer on fire the moment you start it or it physically hurts you. They really never cared in the first place

*what the company will do so they won't buy a game

i feel you user, i loved Noitu Love 2, too bad i guess

When a civilization is well on the path to collapse one of the tells is a marked decline of the arts. The average lifespan of an empire is 250 years.

Good gameplay isn't rewarded with good sells.
Marketing is rewarded with good sells.

So instead of good gameplay you should now put in skinner box techniques into every game like a level up or loot system instead to get every last dime out of you.

man honestly we'll never get a good fallout ever again good thing I still haven't finished 1 and 2 yet

Regenerating health takes everything that is wrong with modern games and puts it into a mechanic.

Try wasteland 2. It is basically fallout 3 (by that I mean what a real fallout 3 would have been) with all of the names changed.

I'm only interested in NIOH and I hate how it seems designed with westerners in mind and how ugly the main character compared to concept art. FFXV looks like westernized garbage and Persona 5 will be butchered and burgerfized but I'm not big fan of atlus anyway. Hate how FF7R will be handled by the piece of shit nomura and will turned into westernized shit from what we saw of character models and they will go full politically correct .

I missed the announcement that's cool.

can we just make this a general thread now? Can you faggots just stop pretending like this is a new thread topic even though it's almost a daily occurence? At least make it a general thread.

am i the only one that understands that this is a circlejerk for redditors to showcase how much they're "pilled" about how shit things are, how this thread is just a way for people to point out the obvious and give an obvious explanation for shit? can you fuckers please at least make a thread that isn't as vague as "why is shit so fucked, yo"

I had a second thought to add, and I'm not scared of being alone in adding my two cents, faggot. Maybe get off the board you're this kind of person?

here

Because gaymers are retarded.

Look at the shit that's celebrated in this thread alone, dark souls and Nahtzee.

i mean it's the [current year] why can't a good game come out again?

People tried making good games but faggots wouldn't buy it.

So they made games that pandered players and were swamped with money.

Games got more expensive to make so developers/publishers are less likely to gamble. They'll always take the super safe casual game over the experimental ones just because they'll be (almost) guaranteed to make a profit. The industry is no longer about people who care about the product, it's about how to make the most appealing games in the least amount of time.

case in point

Let me be more clear.
1. You gave no explanation for why Dark Souls is bad, in your opinion. Therefore, it's a pointless statement.
2. While somewhat cringe-worthy, the statements made in the Nahtzee video are factually correct.

I'm a bit hyped for Titanfall 2, although not too much since I heard they've taken out some fast elements. Even then I'm hoping to enjoy it as much as I did with the first game.

No, they're his opinions on what games should be like, especially all that stuff about "If I want a story, I'll read a book" and how the sole purpose of games is to be challenging.

No, the he said the sole purpose of a game is to have good gameplay, and he's right. When you sacrifice any, any facet of the gameplay for the sake of story, you're compromised your product. If I want a cinematic experience, I'll go to the fucking cinema.
John Carmack said it best, "Story in a videogame is like story in a porno. You expect it to be there but it's not important."
If someone wants to make a good story for their game, good on them, so long as it doesn't detract from the gameplay in any way.

It's still just an opinion. I don't share it.

I hate how hard it is to find those few good games these days because it's literally waddling in a sea of liquid shit for them.

And then the devs who made that gem die off because lack of sales because their game just drowned in the shit to the point no-one found it until it was too late.

because making a good game that's fun to play with solid replay value isn't as effective a business model as one where shitty sequel after shitty sequel is pumped out monthly

Or even just because it sold well, but not well enough to compete with Call of Duty, and was therefore considered a failure.

It's a mixture of things.

Games used to be made by people who were knee deep in arcade culture, meaning the games they made held hard and fast to the rule "If the player wants to progress, you need to be good at this game or have very deep pockets, but at the same time the game needs to be good enough that the player will want to get good enough to progress or shell out the quarters".
Because of an upfront cost the deep pockets part was removed, and we just have "If you want to progress, you need to be good at this game, but at the same time the game needs to be good enough that the player wants to progress".

In the past gaming was new and nobody really understood what what they were doing, so we got a lot of innovation. This resulted in a lot of shit, yet original, games that most people have forgotten by now (and plenty of shit and copycat games).

While games were still sold using their graphics, the real selling point had to be gameplay because graphics hadn't progressed to a point where they could distract from bad, mediocre, or unoriginal gameplay.

Actually being good at a game is a unique kind of fun that can't be replicated with anything else. But modern games publishers realized that they can have a cheaper kind of fun in the form of spectacle. This has a couple of advantages over the fun you get by getting good at a game. And by "advantages" I mean it's more effective at making money.
1.) The gameplay just has to be good enough as to not distract from the spectacle. Even better if the game-play compliments and enhances the spectacle.
2.) More people will play more of the game and play it for longer because they don't need to get very good at it to progress and they don't get frustrated and quit. This means more word of mouth.
3.) It's easier to sell spectacle because you don't need to play a game to see how beautiful it is.
Note: Spectacle isn't inherently bad, and infarct it can be good if it compliments the gameplay (rather than the other way around). But Spectacle in the place of good gameplay does not provide the same kind or level of fun one gets one gets from becoming good at a game.

On a related note, appealing to the maximum number of people ends up appealing to casuals, and so if you aren't a casual you aren't going to be interested in the bigger games coming out.

Difficulty was replaced with tedium, making people feel like they are playing and beating a hard game just because they spent a lot of time on it, and not because they actually demonstrated any skill. There were still tedious games in the past, but those were usually viewed as bad games by most of the people who played them.

In order to fund these multi-million dollar projects, producers have to play it safe and frequently release the game before it is ready. This means lot's of sequels with little to no innovation or shoehorned features that are viewed as "necessary" even though they don't fit and the game would be better without them.

Nostalgia wideness the perceived gap in quality even more.

Shit bait, reported

The industry panders to the lowest common denominator, cause that's where the money is there is no room (or better yet need for depth) complexity or nuance cause those playing the the garbage likely wont even finish 1/5 of the entire game.

PC gamers are the worst offenders. They have hundreds of games on their accounts and only finished a handful. Tis pathetic. Makes me feel old.

There are actually people defending 10 hour long campaigns. All it needs to do is look pretty.

Agreed. When video games went from being made by a small team of neckbeards who had an autistic-like passion for it to kike-owned mega companies, it was over.

I second this.

But those passionate, autistic, socially awkward, baggy T-shirt wearing pizza eating devs all went bankrupt. Or worse: EA.

And many others.

Sonic Mania will save things.

>Pokemon Moon Pirate
>Xenoverse 2 Pirate
>Tyranny Pirate

There's good stuff coming, user.

welp, thats really shit, i was looking forward for that game.

You & I are no longer the target audience, that's why. Games began to be marketed to other people from 2007-2009. They're not made for us anymore.

How is it possible to have played God Hand & thought it was bad?

The way the game adjusts it's difficulty to fit the player on the fly. The way you can customize your entire move set. The boss fights, my god the boss fights.

There's nothing I can say. It's perfect in almost every way.

Higher percentage of population plays games now. Early gaming was made by and for people interested in computers and technology. What we would now consider a "hardcore gamer" but in those days was a nerd.

Now mouth breathing MBAs control the industry and their customers are mostly retarded numales and mattress girls.

there are plenty of great games getting made still. you just have to wade through miles of shit to find them.

Maybe don't punctuate statements with a question mark like a valley girl, you fucking faggot?

i think this is how the argument goes

Appeal to the lowest common denominator, fanbases making excuses for poor products, and the forever increasing cost of software development.