Far Cry 2

Why isn't there a sequel to this standalone game?

Far Cry 1 was a well disguised linear shooter, that while good, it lost track during the second half.
Far Cry 3 and 4 are just the usual Ubisoft clusterfuck of side activities.

Other urls found in this thread:

imfdb.org/wiki/Far_Cry_2
moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod
twitter.com/AnonBabble

oh boy another casual crying about the mutants, i better you gaybois didnt even play on realistic difficulty

Far Cry 2 was only good because they tried to clone Crysis which had sold a lot. That garbage that 3 and 4 ended up being was always their goal.

Ubishoft is shit.

Because to imply that Africa is a war torn country would be racist.

And thus a good dame and it's potential squeal are swept under the rug.

*continent

Wait, there was going to be a potential sequel? I was under the impression they just did whatever they felt like and 3 just so happened to become a permanent formula.

Not that I know of, I'm just saying in todays environment I wouldn't get my hopes up

Game was pretty good, but needed to stop with the broken guns and forced malaria injections nonsense. That could have been left for a higher difficulty mode or something.

You could just simply walk to a gun store and pick up a fresh new weapon, and the Malaria, even in the highest difficulty rarely affects you.

Didn't the tranquilizer rifle, which was only silent with headshots, degrade in like 5 shots?

The game is both boring and tedious. I found the rocket launcher and the bolt action sniper rifle to be satisfying to use but that's the end of my enjoyment with the game.

I played through this for the first time not too long ago. Instead of doing anything interesting with the setting or characters, it was an endless mess of killing niggers. Which was amusing for the first hour or two, but by the end of the game I just wanted it to be over with. It's mediocre at best.

You're correct, the malaria wasn't the issue, it was the repetitive as fuck gameplay. It was just a boring game, it could've been done better.

A 100% silent 1 shot-kill rifle degrades fast? Probably to prevent you from spamming it to clear entire camps like you can in FC3 and actually giving a reason to pick a regular sniper rifle.
You're making this shit up. It's always silent. You probably killed a guard right in front of another guard.

This is also made up. I've been able to stealth missions during the daytime (although it heavily depends on map layout). Far cry 2 is one of my favorite games to do stealth in. There are like 4 first person games in existence where you can sneak around silence pistoling guards and it actually being practical but difficult as opposed to running and gunning or being completely forced.
Stalker, Postal 2, far cry 2 and i cant think of another one

Oh you wanted far cry 3 take downs.

Sounds like you just want to play far cry 3. The rules for stealth in FC3 are pretty ridiculous though.

required reading
imfdb.org/wiki/Far_Cry_2

Because Far Cry 2 was a shit game. Sure there's some fun to be had if you fuck with mods, force through the driving/checkpoints and play in a very specific style but why go to all that bother for what will still be a fairly bland shooter?

Far Cry 3 does open world crazyness better. STALKER does open world atmosphere better. FC2 does nothing well.

Or, come to think of it, Crysis. Unsurprising given their shared history.

The FC3 page is also funny, though not quite as much.

I wanted to be able to slice someone's throat instead of their tendons making them scream and alert the whole site. I never used silenced weapons cause I was disappointed by the time I unlocked them. I wanted to be mud Rambo.

The guard omniscience in FC3 is the same in FC2.

Now that I think of it this might be false, but whatever. It's not fun for me.

Pretty accurate in my experience. I've been seen through foliage in 2 and once one guard sees you they'll all know your exact spot. I do seem to remember one of the mods for FC2 claimed to have fixed it but I've never bothered playing one long enough to confirm that.

Guard takedowns are silence in fc3, and you can even move the bodies. I've always been a silenced pistol person thoguh which is probably why i prefer 2.

The rules for stealth in FC3 are pretty ridiculous though.
Just realized I made this typo. was suppose to be fc2. Also the snipers in fc2 have lasers which makes a HUGE difference in sneaking into a base

Do mods make FC2 any better? It seems if it got a proper sequel that improved on the open world aspect while keeping mechanics like Malaria and weapon jamming/breaking, we'd have probably a GOTY on our hands.

Significantly so but still not enough to interest me. I can't remember the name of it now but there's one that is often recommended.

They made 3 more casual because people bitched constantly about 2. And Ubisoft wanted more franchise possibility with it

Far Cry 2 is legit the best game to me that used weapon degradation

Weapon degradation made perfect sense in Far Cry 2. You live in Africa where that's an actual thing. It's a fucking desert with constant amounts of dirt entering your guns. And it's visual degradation. You see your guns actually fall apart in your hands and eventually break. It wasn't just an abstract thing you see in a menu like in Fallout 3/STALKER. It also more encouraged using safehouses to store extra "kits" of weapons for different approaches. I loved the way I was constantly swapping out weapons instead of just taking along the same OP guns like in Far Cry 3/4.

With Malaria it made me feel really immersed in the world of the game. I legit felt like I was almost falling apart trying to stay alive. Especially on the hardest difficulty. Plus once you complete enough side missions it barely ever comes up.

Far Cry 2 legit has some of the most scenic things I've ever seen in any open world game.

You can avoid guards by crouching and walking around shrubbery. The reason they follow you is because you're in a really loud car. You can outrun them which I have done a lot.

No it isn't.

I've played through Far Cry 2 a huge amount and stealth is not non-existent. It's just not all encompassing.

The player's machete is loud, the only silent weapons are the silent makarov and the tranquilizer gun. There's no visible indication of where an enemy is looking. You can hide yourself almost completely in greenery as long as an enemy isn't walking towards you.

The game just doesn't tell you "YOU'RE STEALTHED" like in Far Cry 3. It's a perfectly viable strategy and combined with a sniper rifle one that you need to employ on the hardest difficulty.

Yeah because you just sliced a dude's torso apart. It's not exactly quiet to do

Pic related

It's a game you need way more patience to play. It doesn't hold your hand and immerses you in a world. It reminds me way more of STALKER than Far Cry 3/4.

Infact going into Far Cry 2 thinking about it as a more polished STALKER I found myself enjoying it a lot more. And I've completed it several times since it's released.

Far Cry 2 has a lot of good ideas in play but it's fucking repetitive and boring as shit. Aside from fucking around and shooting people there's really not much else to do in the open world, enemies soak up more bullets than they should, stealth doesn't work, the writing is bad, the faction system is nonexistent.

All in all, I'd have loved it if they took the good ideas from 2 and just refined it into a better experience. It could've been like STALKER in Africa. Instead it became ASSCREED with guns.

A quick google makes me think I probably tried this mod: moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod
It helps make the shooting a little less shitty and the stealth a little more consistent.

Thats one thing that bothers me in newer Ubisoft games, some of them just feel like variations on the Ass Creed formula.

Is Far Cry Blood Dragon any good?

Not quite as good as somen anons here will lead you to believe but it's worth getting on sale. You'll enjoy it unless you outright hated FC3.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever we never got

Seriously it has so many great throwbacks to 80s movies, both subtle and not so subtle. And I really liked how the OST for instance clearly was designed to mimic the OST to the Terminator. And how they replaced Far Cry 3's digital camera with Terminator 1 vision.

Ubisoft found a formula that worked and proceeded to apply it to every game they had. Far Cry 3 popped out before it got too stale, and thus did well, but judging from the mediocre reception of their latest big hit franchises I think we can assume that people are slowly losing interest in the 'open world full of useless shit to collect and towers to climb' formula.

Is it just me, or do older games that came out around 2006-2010 look as good if not better than games today? There is something missing with new games… perhaps it's art direction,

Devs develop for consoles instead of pcs now. They even have to artificially limit the game to the console version so the PC doesn't have an edge else the console companies get pissed.

I apologize for ENB but it does make the jungles look incredibly lush.

Also Far Cry 2 has amazing water effects and the water has this mirror-like sheen that makes you want to dive in and let the cool current carry all the sweat and dirt off of you.

The heal animations always got me in that game, I think the one where your character cauterizes an arm wound by lighting a bundle of matches and jamming it in there is the best.

I don't think it's that, it's optimization. If you don't have the talent around to make a functioning engine you're not going to get graphics like that. Look at the Uncharted games, UC3 looks beautiful (and runs at 1080, ableit interlaced) when you consider what ND was working with.

Although there are cases of "we have to limit the PC version so MS and Sony don't get mad", I think that's more of an 8th gen thing.

In 2007 devs were designing for PCs which were way more powerful than anything on consoles until recently. I had dual 8800s with a combined 1tflop of vroom back then. The ps4 is a 1.8tflop box, not even twice as powerful despite being almost a decade older, and most of that goes to the increased rendering resolution.
Also, the art direction changed. Console-first art direction assumes you're playing on a HDTV with unbelievably shit contrast, blacks, color, and everything will be so upscaled and blurred anyway that they might as well blur it more with FXAA, motion blur, DoF blur, blur blur, etc.. Ambient lighting everywhere and blue is the new black.

Because it's a fun game with some undeniable flaws, and a lot of unfairly maligned design decisions, Ubisoft's formula made sense at the time, and some of the changes went hand in hand with the big engine redesign. In the end of the day, Far Cry 2 is a love it or hate it type of game, and publishers will always go for a safer bet.

Not really, I downloaded Dylan's Far Cry 2 Realism mod and I barely noticed a difference, there weren't many other mods out there either.

I pirated Blood Dragon a few months ago, sat down and played it in one night. It was pretty good not gonna lie.

you answered your own question on the first line faggot

One thing i'd love to see though is a game set in 1970s africa where you play as a rhodesian /k/ommando and run guerilla ops to fuck up the nignogs shit behind their lines

Had a great ending.

Could use mods to give it towns. More life.
Fucking good game.
What a fuckup that it wasn't made better looking using a lower res. Fuck you all.

terribly samey, poorly designed open world. Iron sight shooting. It's a good way to identify tasteless faggots who eat up the most boring shit for muh atmosphere.

Dialogue was authentic. It needed more.

Darwin would have suited it as a basic town/city. Old enough to match the colonian/african feeling.

Haven't been there in a while. There is a thing most people wouldn't have experienced.

Functioning world taken for granted. Social atamosphere. Hard living a fact of life. Guns nothing special either. Comfortable around them. No cops. Community (hippie) solitions such as opshops, day care centres, you name it. Government as a very old thing, a relic, government buildings dusty, bits of a museum were the workers there are on display as part of the show. Formal and simple.

A world without stupidity. I doubt many would beloeve that's possible.

The poofters begging for their turn would have had that worked out of their system. Lots of work, all physical. France and the rest of "europe" left there, visitors expected to nativise.

Game showing that being fucked up by external parties trying to set up government/stupidity would contrast well.

See the change from somewhere with good will to one so fucking pathetic they'd go along with anything. A bunch of cowards like all mobs. Ceased to be men. All about their image. Nothing done as individual pursuits, their own character on show. Enough to kill the invaders over and be thanked by the locals for it.

Complicate story by the poofs paid. They betray their country because they want the money they get for allying to invaders. Excuse themselves by saying to themselves if they don't everyone else will.

See the bastards take credit for everything and do things to convention, as formula. Shit then whatever it is. People paying for that fully sold out. Recieving money, furthering demand for worthlessness, increasing control of invaders.

Story more dramatic because saving the shit would have nothing on your side but the sentiment of what needs saving.

"The people" would much rather the money. Rather not do it hard. Give up everything and do so at a rate they don't know what they lose. Think they gain something giving their kids over to be made soulless slaves or products to sell. Nobody in posession of themselves. No common bond but betrayal.

Story would hardly need missions. See what good is there. When things come to reposess it in force fuck them off. Everyone an enemy who's bent by what they've read. Do things for their own good they oppose.

Make it too hard for the invaders, and they try to make an example of opposition which really makes the locals hate you.

Setting could retain some good characters which aren't corruptable. Good organisation. Good fighting. Constant professionalism. Through superiority there win over some locals that want to be men more than they want luxury. Women who want what their men make, needing love in the peices, demonstration of who they are and that they are something.

End with greed having won over the enemy, which go elsewhere where they will exploit easier.

I finished 1 on realistic and while it's fun, the mutants make boring gameplay after the first few initial levels. Besides, the levels themselves started relying more on boring concrete facilities and the jungles weren't as good.

What gets actually forgotten is Far Cry Instincts and its sequel Evolution. They were console-shooters but actually kinda neat.

The Uncharted games cut corners by prebaking a lot of effects into a very static level. They also keep levels very small while hinting at them being larger. A good way to work around the limitations of consoles, perhaps, but not the same as truly great looking games.

Bullshit, going through entire bases, one-by-one with the MP5SD, Suppressed Makarov, and the Tranq rifle at night was the best shit.

I felt like a special agents operative or some shit pulling that mission stealthily

Why exactly do soldiers in this game shoot you on sight anyways? They didn't shoot the car you were in at the beginning of the game.

The M79 grenade launcher was the bomb. Great firepower and range. The weapons, no matter what the video games firearm database says, felt great to use.

You really felt like taliban achmed when lying in wait for the smuggler convoys.

The very definition of being a hipster faggot folks.

because it was fucking trash, user

Be careful! It may look nice, but that's deadly Africanized water you're talking about - it'll kill you if you're careless.

yeah, that game was shit. too repetitive, respawning check points, grinding, enemy weapons which turned into rust-piles the second you touched them etc. etc.

the german voice-acting was fantastic though, you really felt like a human going on a nigger safari in a typical failed nigger country

Yeah, they did what they had to. Despite being a semi interactive Blu-Ray movie that you walk through, I think they did a good job.

All the VOs were excellent.

more like "waaah i don't like bullshit respawning outposts every time i turn my fucking car around"

2 & 3 were good, for different reasons.

Two had you feeling much more like a foreigner, with sides screwing you over, randos shooting at you at checkpoints (would be better if there was a timer on their respawn), malaria and the expat community. The stealth worked fine, some people in this thread just need to git gud, and as I remember it malaria would only affect you as a plot device, you were free to fuck around and bomb convoys and it wouldn't affect you. Some weapons degraded a bit quickly but I don't remember it being a big deal. One of my favourite moments in the game was the old colonial fort that I managed to sneak to the top of to get someone and decided to quitely fight my way down, but someone saw what I was up to, popped a flare and I quickly ran out of MP5SD ammo and had to start using battered old AKs to fight hordes of angry Africans.

The Heart of Darkness plot was pretty good too, Jackal dindu nuffin. He just wanted Africa to be free and rip it from the hands of the people that sent him.

Three was better, I'd say. The character was fucking ridiculous and the plot was absurd, but I think the whole thing had a much more Hollywood vibe. This didn't particularly bother me because reading the descriptions for one of the common herbs it said that the pollen was psychotropic, and the doctor and CIA both say you're a big guy that everyone but the natives have been going increasingly crazier due to it for years, like Blitzkrieg Becker and the guy who owns the compound. Vaas was just fucked on meth and shit. Favourite moment was getting high as fuck on 25i-nBome irl, playing it on a 3D TV and having a beautifully violent hallucinogenic death by being surrounded by dozens of pirates after crashing my jeep tripping balls and retreating into a mine shaft, only for them to get sick of trying to rout me and setting the whole fucking place on fire.

Also
Throat cutting animations are boring as fuck in first person, and the machete is just gore fun.

What an autistically obsessive thing to say.

That game was FUCKING SHIT

Everything has also become so streamlined I suppose. The atmosphere and world feel so unique in Far Cry 2, now even Final Fantasy looks like your run of the mill AAA game.

Because its not a good game. There is only so many times you can do the same shit over and over.

The world is nice, true. The idea is great, true. The game just gets fucking boring after ten hours and at that point, you have another thirty to go.

Especially the retarded malaria mechanic that forced you to grind sidemissions between the main missions.

It's by far the best one of the Cry-games. Even if doing the missions is tedious as fuck.

It's good but the problem is at its core it's still Far Cry 3. Sure you have faster sprints and higher jumps and cool weaponry but it's still Ubisoft's horrible recipe for "open world" games that they struck gold with Assassins Creed and Far Cry 3.

Weirdly enough, I thought the same thing about the STALKER feel to it. The pacing of the combat and way you have to approach each gun fight is very similar.

On a side note, are there any other good games like Far Cry 2?

Nothing about the game was hard, it was just annoying.

Go anywhere, do anything, or do nothing, and you'll be attack by the same half or full dozen of dudes who possess no threat. It doesn't matter if you're working for one of the factions (hurr I can't tell my men not to attack you for some reason), doesn't matter how many checkpoints or anything you clear out, doesn't matter how many patrols composed of two officially licenced Jeeps™ you destroy, doesn't matter what missions you do or don't do, if you are out in the wilderness and about 2 or 3 minutes pass, you're being shot at with shitty AKs shot by nameless obongos.

It's like playing any other open world game, except literally everything wants to kill you, there's no way to make them wanna kill you less often, nothing is ever even good at killing you, and while everything i trying to kill you, you have nothing interesting to do.

Also LOL at pointing to other Ubisoft games and crying about the collectathons, the diamonds are one of the worst examples of that shit. Boko Whatever has so many diamods just sitting around waiting for you to collect, in their magic homing signal equipped suitcases, that you could build your very own Jeep™ entirely out of diamond.

Did I mention how hilariously retarded the Jeep™ sponsorship is?

Only good idea in the game, note I said IDEA and not feature or mechanic, was the buddy system. Too bad it was put into a bad game in such a barebones way, and nothing else, because it's actually cool.

TLDR The game is just a shitty version of Stalker for faggot hipsters who wanna be shot at by niggers riding Jeeps™.

Welp, guess I can't be a speshul snowflake by having this as my "that game" anymore. At least more people are enjoying it now.

is there mod that removes the guarded waypoints???

It's because most modern games right now are either non existent, mediocre, or shit. So now people are going back to games they were too harsh to back then or flat out ignored to see if they were wrong.

Half of them are probably just stashed, and the other half are actually placed well in designed scenes

are you expierencing rectal ragnarok because people like far cry 2

pretty much this. New games have definitely made me appreciate what was considered mediocre up until around 2010. You begin to find that maybe we were a bit harsh with the older games now that everything has become a press "x" to win cinematic experience that uses the same art direction, formula, and graphics engine.

I haven't played FC2, but I doubt it can be as good as FC3.

The seeting just seems so shit compared to the Asian islands of 3.

I had a good time with this game until I ran into the bug where a buddy you're supposed to rescue doesn't spawn because you've already rescued them. That was almost 20 hours fucking gone, and I never wanted to pick it back up afterward.

relative to what exactly? Far Cry 1? 2?
nice face btw.

Farcry 3 is so fucking streamlined, they forgot that they were making a game and turned it into a fucking torpedo instead. A brown torpedo that ubisoft shat out and the fanboys loved because it was the same *GENERIC SAND BOX GAME* that everybody sucks their own dicks over.

The fucking hud is revolting and obtrusive, and everything nice about Farcry 2 (the immersion, the feeling of being outmanned, outnumbered and outgunned at every turn and barely getting away with your life) they replaced with 'HEY GOYS, get your RADIOACTIVE SUPER POWER TATTOOS HERE.. Oh and the protagonist starts off as a wuss but not really because he can soak bullets like a fucking sponge!! Lol!'

I thought farcry 2 was already a venture too far when I was checking it out pre-release, but I remained hopeful. When I played the game it really started to grow on me when I realised how many approaches there were to different situations..

The change was welcome, and even though I loved farcry 1, the approach that Farcry 2 had was incredible, and still feels like one of the most immersive games out there.

In comparison, Farcry 3 was an absolute cunt of a game that jizzed piss in everyone's faces and everyone still loved it.. Even after the trailers that showed Ubisoft straight up LIED to everyone at E3 (still going on to this day!).

I wanted to love it as a Farcry title, another installment to the franchise which I had known and loved throughout my childhood, but I couldn't even do that..

Vaas was one of the only cool things about that game, and the rest was turgid bollocks.. Why the fuck do you need to kill a shark to get a better wallet anyway? Just buy a fucking backpack you twat.

You must have hated the direction the games have taken with FC4 and Primal then.

Again, I liked the look of the charismatic villain in 4, but I knew better than to even sniff the shit sandwhich that they were baking after what happened with 3.

The best thing to do in FC4 is to just sit at the table in the beginning and wait for the villain to come back.

I prefer fc2 over the new ones, but to be honest fc2was not as good as it could have been.

Lol at this egregious Far Cry 2 apologia. I've played through the game to full completion twice, and even I can admit it's pretty flawed.

Yes, it has that cool, sandboxy Far Cry feel to it. Yes, the African setting is somewhat interesting. The graphics were good at the time. The Jackal was a fascinating character.

But…

It's like Far Cry 3/4 lite edition. You can easily see the direction they were headed in with the diamond collection, animals, and enemy checkpoints. They hadn't perfected the formula yet.

Now yes, the game did occasionally have a great 'Heart of Darkness' atmosphere to it. Yes, I really enjoyed having to kill my companion NPC when they got too wounded to be healed. Yes, the pre-ending where all your friends turn on you was fun. No, the real ending was not good, it was terrible.

Jackal tapes and companion NPC were the best parts of Far Cry 2. I wish they'd re-release it on the newest Dunia engine with actually dangerous African animals and some non-aggressive NPCs. That would be good.

It's still an Ubisoft game, and has all the major Ubisoft character flaws, but it wasn't awful. Not a masterpiece by any stretch, though.

You are looking at it the wrong way mate.

Don't sit here and judge the actual game but instead try to imagine how good it could have been if it was in the hand of good devs.

When people ask for a new version of X, they don't want the exact same game again with the same bugs and shit.

When I say that Saints Row 2 was my favorite and we should get a new one like that I don't mean that they should make another broken game like Saints Row 2 but a game that has the features of sr2 and improvements.

Same here. When op asked for a sequel to far cry 2 he probably wants a game with the general elements of fc2 but the bad things fixed.

Nobody said it was a masterpiece, it's just not a bumbling clusterfuck like it's successors were.

They had the chance to build upon what they already had, and they didn't take it.

Couldn't agree more.

The game was just as boring and tedious as 3 and 4.

OP here, and that's exactly what I asked for, I see Far Cry 2 as the closest thing to a STALKER game set in Africa.

Both are EXTREMELY rough around the edges, with relentless and deadly enemies, the side quests are all the same 3 - 4 activities repeated with only a cash reward, stealth while doable is pretty hard to get right, similar with main story missions but harder, yet STALKER gets all the praise and people just shit on Far Cry 2 like it's the cool thing to do.

*the side quests are all the same 3 - 4 activities repeated with only a cash reward, similar with main story missions but harder.

Stalker doesn't have 15 checkpoints of immediately respawning enemies every 3 feet

In my opinion without those respawning enemies the game would be rather boring.