Underrated games from popular franchises

Pic related, hardly ever see Sonic Advanced mentioned in discussions about the series.

Other urls found in this thread:

emuparadise.me/Nintendo_Gameboy_Advance_ROMs/Sonic_Advance_2_(J)(Eurasia)/44053
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sonic Rush Adventure

Fuck how you got the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic Advance 2.

I think the sprites and animations from Sonic Advance are fucking amazing and everyone looks cool in those games design wise.
But i also think they're just ok sonic games.
The gameplay isn't as good as the older games, in terms of simple fun factor they don't hold a candle to S3&K.

I sorta wish modern sonic games would just be a sort of evolved even more visually interesting sprites in the style of Sonic Advance, but with the gameplay of S3&K.

Instead w're getting just a slightly upgraded S3&K, wich is fine i guess, but it's not really the direction that i would've liked the series to head moving ahead.

Modern Sonic Team can't into classic formula, they have no idea how to make classic gameplay, that's why Advanced, Generations classic Sonic levels and episodes are different from classic games. Only guys in charge of Mania know how to handle things right.

I wouldn't say that Mania is slight upgrade though, it looks like Saturn title with incredible animation which you don't see that often in games, especially in modern games, just watch gameplay videos on YouTube in slow motion to see that. I think I saw such detailed animation only in that Sonic 2 HD game and PagodaWest, another devs who are behind of Mania, have the guys who worked on it IIRC.

Not going to lie, I would like to see something on the level of Sonic 2 HD, but Retro Engine just doesn't support HD and it's perfect Sonic engine gameplay-wise right now, maybe they'll make HD game in the future if Mania going to be successful. Perhaps my only concern is that they're using Sonic 2 style sprite for Sonic, I'd prefer something new or sprite from S3&K.

Sonic fags, what do you thing of this? Looks pretty fun and fast.

It has good gameplay, that alone makes it better than SR1 or 2.

Getting the Emeralds isn't hard - just get rings.
Getting a chance to try for the Emeralds is the problem. FUCK those 7 SP rings.

I actually went through the trouble of unlocking Amy. with a guide and emulator, but it was still a royal pain in the ass
The next time I played I used a 'force 7 SP Rings' gameshark code to get through.

I backed it.

I just found out that Spark had a Kickstarter…
fuck, too late to support

I find Spark's story a bit curious. The protagonist gets replaced in his job by a robot doppelganger. I'd say Lake himself is a robot doppelganger since he's a fucking game making machine. The 'Sequel' series was pretty good and I'm definitely supporting this when it comes out.

is this actually good or just a meme?

It's actually emulate that shit and try it out for yourself nigga
I did and enjoyed it

This is going to sound pathetic, but I don't think too many people on Holla Forums like Sonic Advance 2 all that much and a ghost fucking stole mine.

Is there any charitable user who would be willing to casually stick one they owned when they were younger and don't care about anymore in a little envelope and send it to an address in Lima, Ohio the next time they're in a really good mood?

Yes, I just asked for a free game from Holla Forums. I'm not scared.

emuparadise.me/Nintendo_Gameboy_Advance_ROMs/Sonic_Advance_2_(J)(Eurasia)/44053

Your welcome

Sent ;)

If by good you mean repeating the same shit with no variety, there's a game just for you coming out this Friday.

You mean "hold right to win"?
I cant believe people here like that game

It's really fun, try it.

I'd love to just emulate everything and make my tablets free libraries for all kinds of great games, but in my experience just playing something like Pokemon feels stiff and Mario is so damn unresponsive or hard to running jump with.

Sonic Advance 2 requires carefully timing jumps just to get through later stages let alone collect the Special Rings.

Thanks anyways. Can't just be ungrateful.

Just buy a Bluetooth controller that natively supports Android.

apparnetly sonic rush and sonic rush adventure games were good, I might bother to do some nds2wiiu injects

That exists? I had no idea.

Damn, I must be out of touch with technology.

Why do you think I posted that there?

It really says a lot about supposed Metal Slug "fans" when they dismiss this game so effortlessly just because it's handheld and low resolution. It is one of the best designed games in the series. Fun levels, an engaging scoring system, and tons of great bosses.

These are some of the best games in their series and they're ignored constantly just for being on the Wii.

Those three where incredible

So were these

As much fun as I had with advance 2 with its stellar, music, graphics, and FAST. I feel it's rather weak level design wise with instant pits becoming the absolute worst aspect of the game it's fucking EVERYWHERE. Also as good a concept as music plant was it didn't handle itself nearly as well as I hoped. Also special stages are cancer. And think it borrowing from in my opinion the worst special stage in sonic didn't help it at all. Those SP rings clash so hard with Advance 2's core concepts. It's about FAST not exploration. SP rings absolutely ruin it. Should have been based around fast or at least have a certain number of rings at the end of the level. ANYTHING but the SP ring shit.

Advance 3>Advance 2>>>>>Advance 1

The only game shittier than SR3 was GooH and at least GooH had that kickass flying thing to give it something worth coming back to.

Any recommendations for one for a Galaxy S7?

Do not do this. Android has severe input-lag purposely implemented at the kernel level because it makes touch input seem smoother. There is absolutely no way to bypass this whatsoever.

This will not solve your problem. You will have just as much trouble timing moves in Mario and Sonic. Anything with any action will suck and be unplayable. Pokemon will still be clunky.

I love Android as my phoneOS, and prefer it or tablets as well, but this inbuilt flaw makes it absolutely useless for traditional (aka real, not fruitninja trash) video gaming.

Now, IOS does not have this problem at all. I actually hate iPad and the whole locked own ecosystem, but it does not lag. If you must buy a tab just for gaming, get an iPad. A BT joystick is a great idea for Apple and Windows-powered tabs.

Best game in the Final Fantasy series ,prove me wrong

you can't

will, is not a coat

WEW

this is a black thing isn't it?

How DID it go down, Mr. Smith?

So, how bad is the lag, out of curiosity. In specifics.

It can be as high as 400 milliseconds, but it varies on task and OS version and device. It will not get in the way of enjoying most JRPGs, but anything action oriented, or requiring precision movement is not playable. It is usually in the 150-300 ms range.

Also, on topic, Gunstar Super Heroes is every bit as good as Gunstar Heroes (without a second player. The spritework is some of the best on the GBA, and the music is great and sounds like Mischief Makers. It is super fast-paced, with the screen often flooded with enemies while giant robot bosses abound. It is very visual striking in motion. Still shots do not do it justice. The gameplay is tight and refined and perfect in every way I could want. It is also almost as much a sequel to Alien Soldier as it is to GSH, which just means more awesome boss battles.

For some reason, it always looks like shit in screenshots, so I took some pics on my AGS-101. The last one is a web screenshot showing some action.

It very well may be the best action title on the extended GameBoy platform.

XDA is really the best resource for this sort of thing.

The topic comes up semi-frequently on their developer boards.

lol

Best game in the Kunio-Kun series IMO.

It's called a jailbreak, fuckwit. A laggy emulator is absolutely useless.

>On the Game Boy Advanced
>Getting the fucking name wrong when it's written under the fucking screen
This irritates me on a primal level. It bypasses any rational thought and just makes me rage. I know its a pointless and petty thing to rage about but I WISH IT WOULD FUCKING STOP

Do you declare victoly when you win at Samurai Shodown?

Of course not, that's fucking Engrish. There is no reason to parrot some slopes' shitty misunderstanding of our grand language.

Had any native-born English speaker been present when the was GBA was being named, it damn well would have been released as the 'Game Boy, Advanced'. The past-tense form fits far better here than the present or command form. Likewise, Sonic Advance is the old Sonic gameplay, advanced. You are not witnessing the game advance, nor are you commanding the game (or its character) to advance. The game was already "advanced" when you bought it. The devs "advanced" Sonic, and then released that advanced product on a Gameboy platform that had been advanced similarly.

So give OP a break. You have contributed nothing to this thread.

>I wouldn't say that Mania is slight upgrade though, it looks like Saturn title with incredible animation

Just thought I'd point out Taxman stated the main idea behind the game was "What if a 'normal' styled Sonic game had been made for the Saturn?"

Advance 3 was the best, i dont see why people say otherwise. Hell it even had a good sountrack

Is that shit similar to River City Ransom? Or is it entirely different?

Cause the only Kunio-Kun games are River City Ransom if that counts, Renegade, and the shit with the dodge-ball which in my opinion is pretty rad.

The lag is not that bad on most devices, but use a device with a 59-60hz screen.

Avoid most Chinese devices due they screen refresh can be between 50 - 58 hz most of the time. Only good Chinese devices are from Xiomi, Huwei and GPD

Note I use a MOGA controller regularly play genesis and arcade shooters & platformers on my phone

The lag was reduced in android marshmallow by a lot.

Also use retroarch on android for reduced lag experiences

They don't make bluetooth controllers for Windows and emulation scene on ios kinda sucks compared to android.

The only bluetooth controller that runs great on windows is an MOGA controller with the custom serial driver

Also android doesn't have input lag on purpose to make touch input smoother. Android use triple buffered interface with vsync since jellybean to attempt to get rid of launcher lag and also slowdown in touch events.

Input lag isn't that bad with an controller as long if you are not connected to multiple bluetooth devices at once.

Alright, since I'm a moron, with this shit, I've got a Galaxy S7 (new job so I figured I needed to get a phone). What controllers would you recommend me? Anything I need to know about Retroarch? I've heard its a bit hard to use.

Fallout Tactics.
It was the third Fallout game and lore rape aside it got a lot of hate at the time just for not being Fallout 3, plus some people confused it with the godawful Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (Tactics full title is Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel). Combat in Tactics is improved a lot from 1&2, with cover, stances, overwatch, vehicles and other stuff.

Now if need a controller for android, get a good ipega or an MOGA controller.

Great Android device from emulation is GPD XD or Modern android device from the last six months

I recommend an MOGA PRO Power. It has solid batterylife and feels nice in the hands.

It fits an Galaxy S6 with room to spare.

Use the retroarch wiki and also this wiki if help is needed and make sure in video settings to take threaded video off and adjust the screen hz to 60hz. The interface is simple but takes some time to get use to it.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

You forgot:
Excellent Multiplayer, Excellent Mods and Persistent RPG Servers (atleast in the first few years, I do not know if anyone plays it today)
I also think, that Tactics and even the Brotherhood of Steel XBOX Action thingies were better than Fallout 3;NV;4

An good underrated game that is on sale now on android from 99 cents is oddworld strangers wrath and it has decent controller support and it's an great port compared to the PC Version.

Thank you merchant.

Actually they do, it's just that most drivers aren't included.

Thanks, user. Been mostly using MyBoy and ePSXe for my emulation stuff but I'll give Retroarch a shot. Looking at the Moga pro power and it definitely looke nice. I'm gonna look into getting one sometime (probably sooner than later). Does the controller connect through bluetooth? Just out of curiosity.

God no.
SR1 was a 360 exclusive and no one cares about it.

SR2 was a good GTA clone with some weird zany shit hidden off in the corners, like Insurance Fraud, and it was a blast with tons and tons of content.

SR3 took the goofy stuff from SR2 and made it the entire game, including reducing the amount of content to practically nothing. Even the main story missions were almost all sidequests that you could do before the mission itself, meaning the "mission" became "drive to this place, watch cutscene, done." And they moved the setting to Steelport, which was smaller and had fewer unique areas and less differentiation between them.

SR4 gave superpowers, which were great even though they trivialized a lot of the remaining GTA clone pieces, like cars and cribs, and while the game was still set in Steelport, at least the Matrix-style stuff made it more fun to explore. Still not as good as SR2 but definitely a step in the right direction after SR3.

they managed to make the multiplayer an even bigger clusterfuck than Modern Warfare 2, especially with the revenge spawn system. The spec-ops and party missions were pretty good, however.

It uses bluetooth and can work as an extend battery in a pinch. It can also work on PC with bluetooth via the serial drivers.

Retroarch does take time to get use to, but it has various emulators available and best snes, gba, genesis, neogeo pocket color, mame, and more as cores to use.

Excellent! I'll probably play around with it in the other two first before diving into Retroarch, but thanks. You've been a lot of help, user.

day one

Man I fucking hate the GPD XD, the emulation is fine but the controls are so squishy and terrible. Recently got a nvidia shield and it feels much nicer even though its heavy as shit.

Bioshock 2 was the only good Bioshock if you turn off quest arrow and vita chambers, but all the normalfags just focus on the shallow spectacle of the massively overrated ones by Levine.

I think the character looks dumb but the gameplay seems alright.

Advance 1 was worse. I could never align sanic to fall through the rings because of how 2.5D worked in the special stages. And FUCK Dimps in the piss hole by making special stages accessible through only ONE special spring in one act per zone. If want me to explore for how to access special stages, do what S3&K did and put at least a couple of giant rings in each act.

A great underrated series is the Bit Generations series for GBA.

The game in the series are: Boundish, Dialhex, Coloris,Orbital, Soundvoyager, and Digidrive.

Headphone usage is necessary for Soundvoyager.

Some the games were remade for dsi and wiiware also as Art Style games.

Muh nigga. Has its flaws but it is a great spin off.

I have these but someone took my GBA so I can't play Soundvoyager.

I've actually memorized all of it from how much I played and loved that fucking game.

Only thing that brings it down is some shit like Chaos Angel Act 3 and those godsforsaken Special Stages. 2's were actually fun and possible while having a degree of challenge.

Pretty much what I think, too. I guess it's because Christian has been working with those sprites, and a s3&k android game hasn't been released yet.

Shame, because s3&k is a beautiful game, and imroving the animation would just be amazing.

Would have been nice to see a 32x style sonic, too.

Dang that sad, at least GBA's and Revo K1 are cheap at least.

Worst game in the series is Boundish. It still good, but too much pong for my taste.

DigiDrive is pretty hard in expert mode. Man I wish puzzle games were always this fun.

I like it. I also find it easier than most metal slug games, and for that reason it's the one I replay the most to get good at it.

Ralf and Clark, too. Come on.

Any idea how bad lag is with a wired controller?

Lag is low with wired controller. The disadvantage is that you can't use a charger at the same time .

Wired Controller that I have tested on Android to work are DS3, Logitech controllers, 360 controllers, and random directinput controllers. 360 and PS3 use hid wired mod.

Note most emulators support wired controlles, but most controller supported games use hid
Bluetooth is playable as long as you don't run too many bluetooth devices at a time.

Lag with bluetooth controllers on android is usually pretty low unless multiple bluetooth devices are running at the same time

The Problem is that many android controllers expect the moga and gamesir, have a bad deadzone.

Android controller lag isn't as bad as that guy describing or isn't noticeable at all, unless you have a bad screen refresh rate.

Android lag issue right now is audio latency, which is reduced by running marshmallow.

Android emulators don't really lag at all, unless your device is running slow or a bad screen with a werid refresh rate that is not 59.999 or 60 hz.

Now to get roms on ios emulators you either have to use a rom downloader or ftp into your device. This sucks to do. I prefer to just either use a file manger on my device or drag and drop using linux or windows.

Jailbreaking on current idevices works only on the 64 bit devices also.\

You need a bit more than that to guarantee a decent experience under android.
First is obviously having the most recent version possible, back 3 years ago half a second of delay between processing different parts was considered tolerable on some devices, now we're around 100-150ms which is about the same as windows on a bad day.
Like you said avoid wireless as much as possible, wireless is extra shit on android and adds way more delay for no good reason (on desktop you get 1-4ms + USB polling rate delay on, android you get anything between the same as desktop to 50+ms)
Third is avoid bloated ROMs (the device one), the absolute best device for emulation on android was the original Shield for that very reason (and Nvidia working with emudevs to make their drivers faster just for them, couple of them even got a free TK1 devboard iirc).
Fourth is way harder to guarantee but generally goes with the previous one and that's a screen that reports the correct refresh rate (Retroarch allows you to circumvent that partially though with it's integrated refresh rate detection, still need to set it manually though)

Catherine, if you consider it a Shin Megami Tensei game.