How many games are there where the main characters all die/fail at their mission?

How many games are there where the main characters all die/fail at their mission?

Spartans don't die user… they only go MIA.

FAAAAAAG

I fucking loved Reach, even past its flaws. It just had a certain charm, you could tell Bungie really cared about it.

imo the fall of reach book was definitely better in terms of story.
Although, yeah, reach and ODST were the last good halo games.

Mass Effect 3. The indoctrination theory might be autistic, but it makes the most sense for the game and the trilogy as a whole. Bioware was retarded not to take credit for it.

I usually consider Reach the last good Halo game but when I first played it I remember hating parts of it and seeing some signs of deterioration in the multiplayer that I figured would lead to what it became. The campaign was alright but I hated the fact they retconned Reach because that was my favourite Halo book and the original battle would have been much better than what we got.

>The covenant had to stealth drop in ground armies to try and destroy the power source for the orbital stations or something similar, it's been a while
Plenty of room to fit in a game since they didn't expand too much on the battle outside of John's role. They could easily have battles on the ground range from massive armies to small skirmishes to elite squad infiltrates enemy lines, whatever they wanted really. They could have also had combat in space, both the actual space combat they wanted to shoehorn in and infantry action as both sides board enemy ships. Instead we get…

They had plenty of oppertunity to fit in whatever they wanted but they decided to not only squander their oppertunity but also retcon the original battle for no apparent reason. I will say the campaign was at least alright if nothing special and being able to customize your armour in singleplayer was a nice touch though.

literally autistic BW fanboys grasping at straws to make some excuse in their head for why the game's writing sucked huge benis

All the more reason why Bioware was retarded for not taking credit.

Gamers don't die, they respawn.

I remember reading that in an early script the Indoctrination Theory, or something similar was planned. Shepard was going to become Saren 2.0 but for whatever reason that idea was scrapped.

sauce please.
I remember the original scrapped script having something to do with dark energy but being more or less the same besides that

I hope 360 emulation comes soon. I wanna play Halo 3/Reach with a mouse and keyboard.

Not all of them die. The sniper is still alive.

everyone in mass effect 2 can die, although i'm not sure if sheppard dies too

He dies.

I remember, the lead writers changed in Mass Effect and the lead writer that planned the trilogy left before 3.

I had a fucking conniption when I started talking about the plot to someone who had only played the game and realized what they had done.

Noble Team didn't fail their mission. They were given a suicide mission.

What happens in ME3 if you're dead in ME2? Does Shepard just magically come back to life again or something? Or do they just not let you carry over that save?

The latter.

My thought exactly user.

I wish, and unfortunately it'll be no time in the near future… at a runnable state at least.
I'm not even sure if there's enough exclusive titles on the 360 to even warrant emulation (as that happened for the original xbox, not enough exclusives to emulate it).
Not to mention that the hardware requirements are higher than most consoles that are currently emulated. In addition is the point of the wrapper written to emulate essentially doubles the hardware requirements so it's going to be awhile before we could even run it well… even with a top notch emulator.

I absolutely loved Reach. Can't understand all the hate for it just because of writing considering it didn't do shit.

Fun fact: a Madoka thread back on t/u/mblr somehow went into briefly talking about this game and some asshurt Rebellionfag got mad at me for pointing out how only one shit on the canon, so the 2 were really incomparable.

Halo: Reach is confirmed a completely separate continuity.

Shepard will die at the end if you don't have a certain number of surviving squad members. (I think the required number is 2.)

Well now I feel old. I had dropped out of college at that time.

Technically, nothing is retconned. The limited edition of Reach came with a journal that explains most of the incossitencies between the game and the book, and the rest that weren't explained have been since then.

No it's not, the fuck are you talking about?

The multiplayer deterioration was going on since Halo 2 because the BR ruined everything. Power-ups and loadouts just accelerated it further so everyone notices it then.

As for the canon, I think it was mussed with because the books and the games existed in separate continuities if IRCC because they were written before the first game even came out and Bungie kinda just loosely followed them. That's why in 2 and onward the events of First Strike are basically totally ignored.

Then there's the canon fuckery of Halo Wars, but it wasn't even that bad when you realize they basically retconed their own lore on Harvest once already before that game was even out.

And all that said, none of that chicanery was even close to the shenanigans that 343 has been pulling, where they've basically been doing the HD remakes of the earlier Halo's not just as a cash-in but also to shoehorn in Halo-3-style terminals to the levels that legitimizes the fanfiction they came up with for Halo 4 and onward to new players.

Halo wars doesn't retcon anything through either

None of the lore added in those terminals are bad, though. Most of the lore 343 has put out in general is good, actually, it's just ironically that Halo 4 and Halo 5's stories are both shit. Most of the newer novels they've done are great.

Drakengard

real life

Yeah it did, the fuck are you talking about?

Wrong and irrelevant; Even if it wasn't fanfiction-tier Mass-Effect-backstory bullshit, it was non-canon lore being grafted onto canon source material by a third party. Fan. Fiction.
Quit sucking Karen Traviss's dick and end yourself, you hopeless fuckwit.

H I L A R I O U S A N D O R I G I N A L

It does explain why Johnson was alive in 2, and not a flood zombie though.

Brutes are the absolute worst thing they ever added to Halo. And them being shoehorned into Contact: Harvest made me lose interest in the book altogether.

Then again, the entire thing made sense and completely logically played into the story.

They made a comic about it, Breaking Quarantine, despite the fact that First Strike existed.

I don't wholly agree, but they were kinda push-overs in Halo 3 relative to the Elites they replaced. Too bad all the hate caused Bungie to overcompensate and we got the absolute buttfuckery that was Elites in Reach.
The thought of Elite Ultras doing a 180 in the middle of sneaking up on one and roundhouse kicking you through a building still makes me cringe.

Dynasty Warriors. It's a historical game(albeit loosely), and Shu, Wu, and Wei fail to last more than a full generation. Jin manages to last at least nearly two hundred though.

Halo Reach was so fucking bad I use it to mark the year my childhood ended and adult cynicism took its place. Retarded melodramatic story about characters I don't give a fuck about, set on a world I don't give a fuck about. Codified gameplay with armor abilities and stupid and pointless assassinations. Unmemorable music and fugly gray and brown environments, and some of the ugliest armor designs in games, only superseded by 343's new garbage trilogy. Bungie dropped the ball and 343 still can't pick it up.

I love the idea of brutes, just the execution was choppy. They should have been even bigger, but also slower and dumber.

I will hurt you.

Music was pretty good, but Bungie dropped the ball with Halo after 2. It has been bland nonsense after that.

Reach had some of the worst overdesigned garbage I've seen

Halo CE had best Mjolnir.

You mean a bunch of lines and bumps?

NWN2

Rocks fall

Everyone dies

Most have been for a decade now.

And most people who have issues with that are probably retards who think playing Half-Life as their first fps makes them better from CoD-millenials.

Among other things. Just plenty of useless detail.

rooty tooty point-n-shooty games aren't really that good to begin with imo

but you have to admit there's an awful lot of underage in this thread

mate it's fucking shit

Holograms in multiplayer are fucking awesome, though.

the mass effect 2 Failure ending is pretty awesome, and I consider it canon

Hilarious seeing as how Halo popularized it.