crawl.chaosforge.org/Ood
crawl.chaosforge.org/Monster_generation
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

guitar hero and smt are roguelikes?

The Battle for Wesnoth.

What do you have against roguelikes?

I like dwarf fortress.

Nice.

naw he's doing the usual bait thread because someone told him that roguelike applies to things that don't fit his specific definition in his head.
Pretty much people like him are the reason you never see roguelike generals and they focus on more specific games

One of these things is not like the other

both are procedurally generated RPGs following a seeded random number generator.
I don't see the difference, unless you want to argue that FPSes aren't TRUE FPSes unless you're allowed to carry 4 weapons and have a pistol when you start any map

So Persona 3 is a roguelike then?

0/10 poor bait

Wesnoth is the worst SRPG I have ever had the misfortune of playing. I'll eat crits to the face all day in Fire Emblem and X-Com and ask for more, but Wesnoth is just infuriating.

Eh you could make an argument, it'd be uphill because a vast majority of the game isn't randomly generated.

So you're a shitty casual, gotcha.

I love this game because it filters out retards like you.

Alternately, your game is garbage compared to any competently designed strategy game. But clearly you're just here to stir up shit anyway, given that Wesnoth isn't a fucking roguelike.
4/10, you got me a little bit.

The problem is like if everybody called FPS "doom clones" or if everybody called hack and slash RPGs "diablo clones", or every ASSFAGGOTS a "dota clone". It's less of an issue, sure, and there isn't a good name for the genre, but it's still a valid concern.

Kill your faggot self.

Wesnoth has plenty of dungeon-crawler and roguelike scenarios.

2/10 for making me reply.

How the blue fuck do you make an SRPG play like a roguelike?

Yes there is, Dungeon Crawler, it's been around for a while. Rouge and rougelikes are a sub-genre of dungeon crawlers.

Abstract kind of shit posting going on here.

It's how it developed. It's way too late to try to fly in the face of it now.
And remember how they were called dota clones for awhile? Then there was MOBA, CARPG, and like 20 other names that spawned and died off near instantly and you got left with moba, it's a natural growing cycle and evolution of the name.
Problem was especially with roguelikes that they had quite an elitist fanbase which caused a split between them and the majority of people, which caused this to start.

By just controlling 1 unit instead of an army?

In multiplayer co-op where each players has a role in the team?

It plays much better than XSHIT.

Just because casuals misuse a term doesn't change the definition of it.

Any Invisible Inc players here? Also you probably wanted to say rogue-lite and not roguelike.

You're right user, my bad.

Except it did.
You can't try to force the definition when it's so far gone. It just makes you derail threads and look like an autist.
It now means basically anything with a mainly RNG focused map. like how Spelunky or FTL both classify as such.
It's become too common and all it serves to do is spawn bait threads like these because other people don't want to follow the 17 point list that funnily enough, allows all of them to be considered roguelikes.

So FTL is a dungeon crawler? that makes even less sense.

FTL isn't a roguelike, and in fact because it has nothing in common with the dungeon crawler genre we can safely say it is not a roguelike.

Again you act like a causal talking about a genre you don't know and expecting people to take you seriously.

People please, it's just a silly genre name, nothing to fight about.

Isn't space like a huge dungeon??

dude

ba0070 is just a butthurt guy who sucks at video games.

Are you trying to pick a fight?

Hey, why don't you two faggots kiss and get a room and pozz yourselves in a different thread, huh?

well it abides by the standard definition of a randomly generated map, with damage numbers.
So even by the whateverthefuck definition it's a roguelike because for some arbitrary reason your "perfect definition" has a catch all of "they don't have to meet all the points on the list"

Chess is the best roguelike

Fuck, can't like Spelunky now

Yeah the "definition" is a horrible catch all, shit I can argue literally any game is a roguelike because of how horribly vague the "perfect" definition is.

But as I said that is not the standard definition, it is the new definition that casuals not familiar with the genre try and force.

I'm 100% serious, it meets 2/16 points, it's a roguelike by the stupid list definition

the "perfect" definition is pretty fucking specific you retard.

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

Wot the fok did ye just say 2 me m8? i dropped out of newcastle primary skool im the sickest bloke ull ever meet & ive nicked ova 300 chocolate globbernaughts frum tha corner shop. im trained in street fitin' & im the strongest foker in tha entire newcastle gym. yer nothin to me but a cheeky lil bellend w/ a fit mum & fakebling. ill waste u and smash a fokin bottle oer yer head bruv, i swer 2 christ. ya think u can fokin run ya gabber at me whilst sittin on yer arse behind a lil screen? think again wanka. im callin me homeboys rite now preparin for a proper scrap. A roomble thatll make ur nan sore jus hearin about it. yer a waste bruv. me crew be all over tha place & ill beat ya to a proper fokin pulp with me fists wanka. if i aint satisfied w/ that ill borrow me m8s cricket paddle & see if that gets u the fok out o' newcastle ya daft kunt. if ye had seen this bloody fokin mess commin ye might a' kept ya gabber from runnin. but it seems yea stupid lil twat, innit? ima ****e fury & ull drown in it m8. ur ina proper mess knob.

Also the Berlin Interpretation is fucking garbage designed by people who didn't give it much thought.

Yup I can argue literally any game is a roguelike and it abides by the definition

It is but that's the one that's used as the holy grail definition by people who argue what is/isn't a roguelike usually so it's the funnest one to argue with.

A roguelike has to be procedurally generated, turn based, tile based, permadeath.
If ANY of these is not present is not a roguelike, no matter what retards may say, so all games in OP are ruled out.

so you just have an individual definition you're mad at people for not following?

Way to be a faggot.

Is the DLC any good?

I just replied to this thread, if all OP did was to make this thread to argue semantics then he is a faggot anyway and there is no point in bumping this further.

I've yet to beat Spelunky. That big head always kills me.

if you faggot were able to read, you would know that it also says meeting few points does not make the game roguelike.

Speaking of roguelites, Heart&Slash just left early access, and the price actually went down for the occasion. Like, a permanent cut from 25 to 15. I'm gonna give it a try as soon as they fix the bug with the soundtrack bundle price, because the soundtrack is aces.

also says not meeting them doesn't mean it's not a roguelike. So yes, literally any game by that definition is a roguelike

Really? I've always more trouble with the monsters that Olmec spawns. Especially the fire toads.

ah, I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were mentally retarded. carry on.

SURELY THIS MUST BE BAIT

Damn I really wonder sometimes where Holla Forums all went wrong where anyone saying anything that you disagree with is bait, a shill, a cuck, or any other buzzword of the month.

The definition is not flawed, its a game like rogue, a top down grid based, procedurally generated, turn based, role playing game with a lot of complexity. Go back to reddit you fucking cuckold and stay go.

the definition allows for any game to be a roguelike because of that line of text.

HUURRRR IMK A FUCKIN FAG PLEASE RAPE MY MOUTH DUUUUR - user

but that's wrong, retard

How do you rez your troops?

Very. The new augs have some cool shit going for them and having some daemons actually help you out or have a 50/50 effect is pretty cool. Also I feel it expanded lots on maps and difficulties 4 and 5 are very good and help you get more to the mindset of the actual omni mainframe instead of the difficulty spike it had.
However I feel like the secondary objective on days 4 and 5 completely break some mission types like the VIP suite type and the
I recommend it.

Get a pawn to the end of the board, get to revive it as a special unit that's not the queen(?)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah nah fuck "Roguelites" who the fuck told people permadeath was allowed to be raped in the mouth.

My favourite 'permadeath' game is Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode

My favourite Roguelike is Dwarf Fortress adventure mode

Fuck you cunts, learn to roll random chances against every body part a character has been programmed to have, multiplied by your weapon skills and natural kinetic ability.

What the fuck are you talking about, you asshole?

DF adventure mode is ass because its a hollow shell of a game.

Actually, it's the opposite. It's an amorphous blob of a clam with no shell.

Are you retarded?

Roguelike add-ons start each player with 1 unit.
You don't have an army. You RP as 1 guy.

Ok

Are you talking about custom maps made for the game?

Fortress mode is a complete game, Adventure doesn't even feel like its in the alpha stages.

This looks like it's shaping up to be a decent roguelite, noodle arms and rixels aside.

Not just maps, scenarios and even full-blown campaigns made by players.

Do you know what mods are?
Modifications that alter a game.

There are plenty of dungeon crawlers and roguelikes. It works because fog of war and claustrophobic caves.

You mean:

Don't get me wrong. It's a good game, but now and then I want to adventure in a world that someone took the time to design and write lore that isn't completely randomly generated, predictable and silly.

That's like recommending Warcraft 3 as an MMORPG. It'd be nice to specify you're talking about user-made mods and not the game itself. I've played Wesnoth. It's no roguelike.

rixels are unforgivable no matter what.

What if it's a game that uses it the way the SNES did?

In that case it's fine. I'm talking about a big chunky pixel in high res that turns around like a wheel. Do these people not understand what the fuck pixels even are and why they exist?

I wouldn't go that far. After all Legend of Mana had some minor use of rixels and assorted sprite deformation and that game was wonderful. But I agree it's not something that should be abused or overly relied on and it should be absolutely verboten if it's being done in an NESesque or earlier style game.
There's NO EXCUSE for mixels though. That shit is pure cancer.

what about something like Rain World?

Doom is the best roguelike. Oblige or RL, either one.

I guess I should also state that it's not using full on rixels but rather tweening. It still bothers my autism but if I can put up with it in Terraria I can do the same in this game.

feels good I was right

where is that audio from

Original or HD? Because I can see hating the HD version.

why did you hate it?

Pick one.

what a shame. I really want a game that's like what Elona+ promised, but actually good.

whats that game?

It's called Moon Man.

NON OF THOSE GAMES ARE FUCKING ROGUELIKES YOU NIGGER

I refuse to participate in this shit thread about indie trash claiming to be roguelike. Rollan.

What the fuck are you rolling for?

let me see those dubs

got them on accident.

not roguelikes, pleb.

Ok I get what you're doing now. You're listing games that absolutely aren't roguelikes to trigger people.

Yeah, folks should have noticed by the fact that Guitar Hero was there.

kys

I didn't like it either, because it requires a certain level of expertise that i don't want to cultivate for a randomly generated bullshit game. The annoying angle that bats fly at, the way spiders jump, the fact that a thrown rock can fly back and smack you for damage, and all kind of other shit that i never got to don't make for a fun experience.

On the other hand, i try to differentiate between games i don't want to play and games that're shit, and i'd hesitate to call Spelunky shit even when i don't want to touch it again.

Very nice

fug I was off by 3, time to report myself

I've heard rumors of stuff like the full story finally being translated and implemented in the English version of the base game, but the wiki is such a mess I can't find anything. Is this true?

Any more rogue vidya without a steep initial curve? Hyper Rogue is fun, and you can click on enemies and areas if you don't know what they do. PonyRL is ok if you don't mind that it won't be finished.

Sounds like they wanted to improve what was supposed to be the Control playstyle, if her chance for good daemons were not as bad or could be further improved.

The high-level enemies feel easier than the omni guys, and the final level doesn't have the usual dead ends or sound bugs.

I've been trying this here new "Caveblazers"
It's pretty fun, and can be fairly difficult.
It's early access though, and it's pixels, so pls don't bully me

If you manage to pile up a lot of bombs from early on,
you can prepare a hole for Olmex to jump in without fighting much. Works 95%, low skill.
Seriously fuck toads, though

for rogue-lite, vagante is my favorite. its spelunky if spelunky was fun and had coop.

thkas hope you can get dubs some day 2

Reminds me of another game called Catacomb Kids. I should check on that and see how it's coming along.

I'm gay, Okay guys! You happy?

Sorry wrong thread.

Pretty well, the dev redid the ai and added a new class (Wanderer). Still waiting on the Necropolis update.

i love catacomb kids. both similar but catacomb kids is more unforgiveable. I like the items on vagante better though but love how you gotta get creative on catacomb kids to get though levels

Just like in ADoM and ZAngband. Why is that a problem?

for one thing I don't play ADoM and ZAngband, so I don't know if this is what i'm talking about. But it's just annoying. When I play roguelikes like DCSS or TOME, I like to explore an entire level and clear it out. It allows me to go slow and be strategic in my thinking.

Elona+ i'm pretty sure isn't turn-based, and since the monsters spawn continously it feels like you're always in a rush, you can't stay in one spot too long. It kinda kills the roguelike vibe to me and just ends up feeling like a mushy shitty rpg. I haven't gotten that far into it to really make a good point on the mechanics, but the game doesn't appeal to me enough to want to explore further.

Are Roguelikes just JRPGs made in the west?

diablo 3 on hardcore mode is my favorite roguelike. not having to put up with food is a huge relief

It is if you never revive anyone and delete your save if the MC falls in battle.

who says a roguelike cant have reviving

Classical roguelikes don't, but as long as you have permafailure and a significantly harsh penalty for dying I don't see why the reviving would disqualify a game from being a roguelike.

What the fuck is it then you retard?

You do a move and then the enemies do their moves. That's the fucking epitome of "turn based"

That's not rezzing, that's making a new unit.

Fag.

Only if you're one of those freaks that lets people turn multiple pawns into queens

Bump for rogues

Elona is 100% turn based.
Almost every roguelike does the exact same thing, user.
Not only does DCSS does it too, it makes the spawned monsters significantly more difficult as turns pass.

The one to the right has faggots and trannies.

The one to the left doesn't, because it isn't created by virtue signalling cucks and faggots.

I had forgotten that Elona was turn based, because it doesn't feel like it. But I was wrong.

But I know for a fact roguelikes such as ToME and DCSS do not spawn continuously, unless you're playing a version I'm not. You can clear a floor completely in ToME. In Elona+, if I move a few spaces and then back there will be another monster there, and it never ends. so there's no reason to stay on a floor because you can't clear it. you might as well just rush to the end

Factually false.
crawl.chaosforge.org/Ood
This mechanic has been in the game for a long, LONG time.
Believe me, I've played the game a shitload. I know how it works.

Monsters can track you anywhere if they detect you, which can lead to them wandering clear across levels. Furthermore, they are just as vulnerable to teleport traps as anything else.
Also, they spawn more frequently if your speed is shit, since the "world" is effectively taking more turns.

Also this: crawl.chaosforge.org/Monster_generation

I have version 0.12, does that mean it's not in there? I just did a run of the first level and cleared the floor, and wandered around trying to see if mobs would respawn and wandered so much I starved to death.

That means the article was last updated then.
Try it with a mummy.

okay I will, but even if this is in here, that isn't what I'm talking about in Elona+. I'm talking about a constant stream of enemies in every room of every floor. Like walk in a room, kill two enemies, walk out and then walk back in, three enemies have taken their place. And you can do this as many times as you want until you realize it's all pointless. If it's the same system DCSS has, then it's on steroids because it was very stark whereas this system in DCSS I didn't know was there at all.

Are you playing a golem?
I can wipe a floor, wander around and find maybe 2-3 new monsters on the whole floor.
If you're killing things for loot, you're doing it oh-so-wrong. The loot is lying around in dungeons, but primarily is rewarded for defeating the boss at the bottom of a dungeon.
The monsters are an OBSTACLE, their spawning is to encourage you to get in, get your shit, and get out.

I love Rogue Legacy, and I don't give a fug whether you think it's a real roguelike or not :^)

Not killing for loot especially, but experience. At least those are habits I've picked up from games like ToME. Maybe I was playing it wrong then. I really actually wanna get into Elona+ because it sounds like my kinda game, so can you tell me how I should be playing it? So I'm supposed to avoid most monsters and grab loot and run to the boss?

looks like reddit the game

Entire pastebins have been written to try to explain Elona to newcomers, but the real best way is to just have a lot of experience. It's a very complex game, and giving you an answer to any question requires me to answer like three more. That said, I'll see if I can give you some advice.

To begin with, the only experience you get by killing things is experience for your weapons skills and maybe your dodge/armor, which is a fraction of your total skills.
The best way to improve skills is by exercising them while their potential (the %s) is high (for early game this is usually just at least 100%). You raise the potential for skill by spending platinum coins, and you get platinum coins by doing jobs in towns.
Your ATTRIBUTES are also important, and are trained by training skills covered by that attribute, but raising attribute potential is much harder; you need to drink blessed potions of potential. You get these by investing in Magic Shops to rank ~100 using the Investing skill and saving up enough money to use Invest 50. You then bless them by mixing in blessed bottles of water, made by dropping regular or cursed water on altars.
Don't worry too much if your attribute potentials fall to Bad or Hopeless, it happens to everyone early on.

Dungeon diving can be done in early game (though not right out of the gate), but usually comes in the mid-game when stuff there is easier to deal with. Dungeons are good because the end boss drops a chest with good loot and a LOT of money.

in terms of HARDCORE rouge games, the lego series has been really influential in bringing new perspectives to the genre

You're gonna have to explain this faggotry of a statement, because I don't see the Lego series having anything related to a roguelike. Or am I being baited.

Why did you post all that pleb shit, OP?

Here's a REAL roguelike.

you're taking the bait hard, user. Only true roguelikes mentioned ITT, good or bad, are: Rogue, ToME, DCSS, Elona, angband (and variants), ADoM, and Dorf Fort adventure mode (arguably).
faggots who want to get into the genre should play POWDER, it's easier than original roguelikes but it actually fits the genre and has a good learning curve. It's even on ios/android for the plebs

So here's something that looks like it has a 30/70 chance of being cool or being trash. It's called Streets of Rogue; each level has three random missions to finish before you can exit, which are usually along the lines of "kill this guy" or "steal this item" or whatever, and the main draw is how you can accomplish your goals however you want based on your skills.
For instance, if you need to take an item from someone, you can kill them to take it, or if you're a thief you can steal it from them. Or if you can somehow switch their alignment to you, they could just give it to you.
There's a sizeable character roster, and it's growing, so it could have a decent amount of content by the end.
Only real issue is, it's pretty clearly indie comedy styled, and I know folks take issue with that. There's a playable gorilla class, even. It only uses melee weapons and can't talk to people. Plus the art is lazy quote-unquote pixel art that shifts and resizes pixels.

Don't be like that. It's actually pretty alright.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup > NetHack > ADOM > Rest

Prove me wrong niggers.

Somebody needs to fork that game again

FUCKING FUCK YOU FAT NIGGER PIECE OF SHIT

Man, 90% of the thread is roguelite. Accept that people have shit taste and move on.

I like having an overworld map in addition to dungeon crawling. That made me prefer ADoM over NetHack.

fortress mode is shit too, just like this thread.