Inventory space is regulated by a certain number of slots and max stacks for each item

Imagine if more games had a weight system, and the further you went over that the more 'overencumbered' you became.

But conversely, being 'overencumbered' only a little above your limit would build your strength, and doing that would allow you to carry more.

It would punish carrying too much in the short term, but present some really cool features in the long term.

More like punished for being a packrat klepto who doesn't even use the resources he hoards.

Just use your fucking grenades and sell/waste your surplus ammo

This fucking mechanic is awful and just makes things tedious, the only game where it really works is STALKER because creating a decent loadout adds to the immersion. Games like RE it just becomes a pain in the ass, especially because you can't just leave things on the floor and come back to grab them later, no, you need to use the magical fucking box, SH did it properly, you had unlimited space and the game just gave you less resources to compensate for it, all the SH games are far too easy but I really do feel that's the way it should be done, those item boxes only serve to artificially lengthen the game by forcing you to run back and force between them, which after you've cleared a path isn't dangerous but just tedious.

I fucking hate limited inventories, I shouldn't have to make fucking runs back and forth for a half hour to transfer my shit to a new place like in STALKER, I usually just cheat to get hueg carry capacity, move all my shit to the bar or whatever, then turn off the cheat. RE4 was even worse with the only option being to discard things and having to play fucking tetris for 5 minutes just so you can fit some extra shit in your inventory, just give me less shit or at least an item box fuck you.

A combination of Tetris inventory with weight limits is the dream.

I like it.

How about you pick up less shit then you packrat
Literally no self control

Unless you're on your second+ playthrough of RE4 you have no idea how much ammo or healing items you'll need for what's coming so naturally the best idea is to pick up everything, this could be alleviated if you could just buy the fucking ammo and herbs, but you can't

I think dragons dogma handled the weight system pretty well, I can't remember if leveling up increased the amount of stuff you can hold but it should anyways since your strength increases each level.

Am I the only one who finds inventory management in games like Diablo fun and comfy?

Please tell me I'm not the only one

Elona's weightlifting skill works just like that.

I love inventory management but then people like who wants to have a tiny black hole in his pocket and carry infinite shit.

I hated that in Deus Ex HR

Man, you must hate Bethesda games.
I bet you're one of those fags who cheats his carrying capacity to 9999.

Those games let you carry so much shit that the system isn't even worth being there.

If you're seriously whining that RE4 didn't let you pick up enough ammo and health, I think there's another website you should be posting on.

I never whined it didn't let me pick up enough, I whined that there was too much of it and they should have scrapped the retarded tetris system and just given you less shit.

Here's the argument, it all depends on the game, I haven't seen a game in which 2 keys can take as much room as a shotgun, and perhaps it's made that way because the thing about inventory management is that it's supposed to add another challenge to the game that is to carefully pick your resources and be thoughtful of what you pick up.

Bags have limited space though. It always bothered me how some games let you carry around whatever the fuck you want.
Dark Souls for example. You can carry every single armor in the game in your inventory with no problems, but as soon as you equip it, your weight is influenced.. Where do you get them from? Do you have a infinite magic bag? Is that part of the lore?

And it doesn't even matter because you can just head to a magic box whenever the fuck you feel like it.

So what are you complaining about?

RE is all about backtracking and passing through the same rooms, and that box is perfectly reasonable and as you said it, you can stash whatever the fuck you want in it.

Bag of Holding is about as old as Dungeons and Dragons m8. The whole point of it is to negate carry weight and let you focus on the more important shit at hand.

I wouldn't need to tediously run through the same empty hallways over and over if I could just carry more shit, maybe they could make the game longer than 3 hours too.

But you have to backtrack regardless, the game is all about backtracking for puzzles and what not, it's part of the core gameplay, it's as much as about managing your entire character as managing zombies, the game is all about long term decitions.

Nethack

Inventory management is fine on paper, it's all about how you handle it and what kind of game it is.

Don't tell me you've never had magpie syndrome in a game.

pick up less shit you fucking idiot

millenniaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaals!

Weight based inventory management is shit, but grid based inventories like in RE4 are great. I think one of my favorite moments in that game was a section in the castle where you find a Rocket Launcher, Herbs, ammo, grenades but you have no way of carrying all of it so it forces you to think about what the optimal items to take are.

Go play fucking Demon Souls, the inventory weight system was balls. Theres a reason why they scrapped it.

strange choice of words

I don't pick up every god damned fork, plate, cup, and vegetable in my vicinity when i play games that let me. If I end up with a stuffed back pack that's generally because the stuff is marginally useful, crafting ingredients, and explosives.

That's actually how the weight system in Jagged Alliance 2 worked. Wearing close or more than a merc's weight limit meant that they got tired way sooner and had less AP in general, but it would build their strength stat.

Being forced to make decisions and think about stuff is a punishment

No, you're getting punished for carrying more than you need. You're supposed to get good at actually playing the game, not grinding for extra potions to carry your dumb ass forwards.

Or in the case where you're using items instead of an automatically renewed resource, it's because you're an impatient little shit who can't handle not blindly charging forwards for ten fucking seconds while you charge up another heal/whatever

Whatever the "cost" of carrying more loot is, it should be universal to all builds, because the need for loot is universal to all builds.

On a similar note, if movement speed is tied to specific stats/abilities, then I'll just build around whatever gets the most use out of Agility or whatever, because screw sllloooowwww travel times in really big, long adventures with lots of backtracking. Exploring the first time is fine at any speed while you're taking in the sites for the first time, but the fifteenth walk through the same town CANNOT BE FAST ENOUGH no matter what class you're playing.

>It's physics based and uses Gamebryo

I like the idea that you have Strength for weight allowance and Agility for bulk encumbrance. Basically if you carry a large empty cardboard box, it would still be an awkward load. This would also allow for containers to have a maximum weight and maximum physical space (based on L/W/H)

you and people with the same tastes as you are what have done this to me you colossal faggot.

haven't played rpgs in a while, so when i hear 'inventory' i think zelda single use keys and survival games where items are limited anyway.

i think there was some minecraft video about actual carrying limit translated into reality

I swear there was a game where you could add weight into things and it would make it stronger or something like that, I think you could put shit in a chest and then throw the chest on enemies and it would damage them more the heavier it was

Neat und tidy. It's so satisfying to keep a neat briefcase.

Also, mods with cart to increase Inventory mngmnt makes me happy.

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING?

Merchant's Cart based attacks in ragnarok online did that

grid based inventories like in deus ex are the best

This.

How i can stop to be a jew and a hoarder Holla Forums?

Reddit thread?

Finally I can say this: I hate when people call le Skyrim a bad game! It's the best game of all time after undertale, I really wish idiots in Holla Forums would stop hating it.

It's a decent skill that helps you hoard shit later on and even trains your Constitution, pretty good.
It gets harder to train later on since you need to keep your inventory filled with crap.

There was also a mod for Oblivion, Realistic Fatigue, that changes your Fatigue burn when doing things based on your encumbrace but being encumbered trained your Strength-skills.

FUCK. NO.
Tetris inventory is dumb stupid shit that has no place today. There's a reason many games with that kind of stuff feature an "auto-sort" button\option, it's because almost nobody likes dealing with that shit and it doesn't matter to the point where an algorythm can do it for you as well.
Tetris Inventory only makes sense for 2 different things.

First, to limit combinations of large items. You might have enough squares to hold 3 miniguns, but you can't place them side by side, so you'll carry one and smaller shit around it.
Best example is EYE that had your inventory heavily sectioned. Some places could hold pistols and only pistols, your back could hold a few combinations of larger weapons and many slots were available only for grenades\ammo.

Second, to simulate space instead of just weight. Bigger things take more space after all.

However, neither of these really needs a grid inventory.
Castle of Winds was an RPG where you could take stuff with you on backpacks and other containers, each one having their own volume limit and the weight carried over to the container itself. You couldn't cram everything inside a single sack and if you tried to bring too many things, it would slow you down considerably.

Just have a list for an inventory where items take both space and weight. Have weight limited by your strength and space limited by the volume of the containers you are using. That's all you need for this, literally infinite space to display items since you just need to scroll down and suddendly Bags of Holding (a bag with infinite volume and fixed weight) actually become the powerfull artifacts they are supposed to be.

Kenshi

like said, Demon's Souls had "Item Burden", where every item/equip/etc. you picked up weighed you down and eventually you could reach the point where you're not allowed to pick anything else up. It was annoying as fuck and only served to add additional tedium because you had to keep ferrying shit back to the storage at the Nexus lest you get forced to skip picking something up.

It was irritating as hell and I'm glad From had the sense to drop it with every future game.

Only inventory limitation I like is in mission based strategy games like the old XCOM where you've got to choose what to bring thinking about what you'll face.

You get 20 slots (30 after upgrades), no item stacking, you loose everything you have if you don't make it out (including anything you brought with you)

Get on my level

Capitalism ho!

no game has removable back pack for the hording rouge to drop before combat allowing you to control your weight without having to drop all you loot on the floor individually.

no game that allows you to drag around a sled for maximum loot hoarding.

Checked

I never got to level 50 merchant

Will we ever get a sequel?

But I might need those resources for a boss
i've never used an elixir-tier item in any rpg
I can't stop, I don't want to stop, and I won't try to stop.

Resident Evil 4 literally gives you items and ammo right before a boss.

I pick up shit and drop and replace the more useless shit if I get something more useful.
You know, basic logic of someone who is not a packrat fuck.

Wurm unlimited lets you drag a cart around, but it becomes obsolete once you have animals to do it for you

Pretty sure Nethack and CDDA have bags you can store things in. CDDA has cars for Christ's sake. True that it's not a very common feature in games though.

Not sure how you'd make it fun though.

Daggerfall has a cart for storing loot but that is a shit game

Its lose, nigger. Get it right.

There's only one, peace by upon him.