Hotline Miami General

Hello, I posted a few weeks back, I am the same dude working on the hotline miami game, I am back to answer questions and take suggestions.

We have made a lot of progress since I last posted and a video of our techdemo will be released relatively soon, probably in about a week.

We are having trouble getting the music for our game, a big problem is that the artists we have asked for the music haven't even replied to our mail, despite receiving and viewing it. We have only commissioned two songs so far. If you know any good retrowave artist post him/her in this thread.

Hotline Miami general

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mBRnh0tkQtU
youtube.com/watch?v=Yrm_kb1d-Xc
youtube.com/watch?v=_sNFKnew7kc
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=678235230&searchtext=
lirias.kuleuven.be/bitstream/123456789/84600/1/20100708110945526.pdf
tumbleweave.bandcamp.com/album/demon-squeeze
soundcloud.com/victorloveofficial
soundcloud.com/kevinhanse
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

also, that sprite screen I posted is outdated. In this new one we actually finished Carl 100%

CAN YOU SEE HER IN YOUR MIND

Angel Dust>Sexualizer

I suggest VHS Dreams if you haven't emailed him already, embed related one of his hotline miami sounding tracks

Oh we're suggesting synthwave artists?

Suggesting Daniel Deluxe, VHS Glitch, GoST and Dynatron for Darksynth stuff. Waveshaper's also pretty good and he's done music for vidya(Furi). Also message Scattle, from what I know he talks to fans a lot on yt and the like.

we actually mailed him already, and requested this track. I am hopeful however since we mailed him recently.

We are actually cooperating with Daniel Deluxe, we got a song from him and might ask for two more in the future. I think we contacted Dynatron, and we are about to ask GosT for some stuff.

I need to check out Waveshaper.

We have! Multiple times! He hasn't replied at all sadly, although he has recieved our messages. I really really want his music in our game but he is just refusing to make contact. His music would be perfect, especially his new track.

Maybe he thinks we are not being serious and will warm up once we present him with a video of our work.

Tell me about the Octupus. What are his secrets?

we actually won't be including the octopus since he is just mask of that guy holding a chinese restaurant in the first game, it is just there since this used to be jacket's sprites and we edited them to Carl.

youtube.com/watch?v=mBRnh0tkQtU (Station Nova, might want to skip the first track)
youtube.com/watch?v=Yrm_kb1d-Xc (one f his tracks from Furi)

Also check out Dance Of The Dead(embed).
That's pretty sick, which song did you get from him?

We got Battle Ready from daniel deluxe, I think it would fit really well on a longish level like Tension.
youtube.com/watch?v=_sNFKnew7kc

we actually sent them a message, they are very good and I am hoping for a reply. We are sending emails and contacting via soundcloud, Any other places good for us to contact them?

Also, this will potentially be the logo for our studio, but we would need to polish it up a bit obviously and maybe change it a bit. What does Holla Forums think about it?

also, Waveshaper isn't really what we are looking for, so we probably won't contact them. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Even at risk of exposing myself as a disgusting normalfag - what about Pertubator and Kavinsky?

Or are these two too big as if that you could hope to get any response?

what? Are you reffering to Pertubator being normalfag tier because they triggered Holla Forums? And I don't think Kavisnky would fit.

Anyways, we have contacted pert and we are hoping he will grant us the one song we asked for. We are not too dependant on his work anyway since we only want one track.

I was under the impression that Pertubator was one artists in the scene that even people outside of it (i.e. normalfags, i.e. me) know.

I was unaware he made Holla Forums butthurt by one means or another.

he refused to let them use one of his songs in propaganda, and the thread exploded in a torrent of calling him a cuck and wishing that his entire female line get raped by muslims, I had a screencap but lost it sadly. It was hilarious, they were kissing his feet at one moment and calling him a deranged cuckold that should get beheaded by muz's the next.

Odd, I don't remember that at all. Honestly if I've got a beef with perturbator its how samey his albums got after I Am The Night

it was a dick move, though. His reasoning wasn't anything legal which would have made sense, like "I don't want you to violate my copyright". Instead it was "sorry I don't want to be connected to anything political". Which is a stupid excuse because you know if the propaganda had been extremely pro-refugee, he would have allowed it.

Luckily, a few days after perturbator did that, there was a terrorist attack in France. (I think pert is french) so karma works in ironic ways.

Though a fair amount of butthurt in that thread might've been Holla Forums, I think the main reason people got so upset is because he didn't like his songs being used for shit that didn't conform to his worldview, which is an incredibly juvenile excuse. It's something you should learn to deal with when you put your content out for the masses to consume, especially if you're a supporter of free speech.

dick move or not, Holla Forums was acting childish as fuck in it's reaction. And again, it is a free market, he should be free to discriminate.

But then again, Holla Forums isn't one person, so I couldn't really say the entirety of Holla Forums sperged out just because some of you were asshurt. If you want my honest opinion, you'd get a lot farther with your propaganda if you didn't sperg out on him, since he posted it all over the social media ridiculing you. Then again, most people don't immediately link Holla Forums with nationalist political movements.

that piece of propaganda got millions of views, both before with his original music and after when they changed it to something else. Pert's juvenile stick up his ass did nothing except turn a group of people on a website against him. Which is a shame, since most people liked his music but the majority of them will now refuse to ever support him. I guess that's what you get for being a retarded cuckold.

The thread for the video was mostly filled with people bummed out and trying to suggest a new song for Gex to use. I do remember a few people calling him a cuck, but "should be rapped by muslims" is pure bullshit.

I literally recall that specific shitpost, because it was hilarious as fuck. If I find the image I will post it.

you got the wrong person, it was carpenter brut who refused to have one of his songs in the video "with open gates", perturbator is pretty cool and dindu nuffin

ah okay, my mistake.

On the subject of Carpenter, we actually asked him for the song Disco Zombi Italia, I actually expect we will get it since a lot of his shit is free from what I saw.

Then again, the SS was a club for gay pagans.

Are you sure? Humans Are Such Easy Prey is a Peturbator song.

I don't believe in magic, but I think it's a funny, ironic twist of fate that a day after complaining about a piece of propaganda that is anti-refugee, 200+ people die from a terrorist attack initiated by a refugee. It's just beautiful irony and cruel justice.

I'm pretty sure, if I recall correctly the song that was removed is turbo killer, I remember there were a tons of hate comments below the video before they decided to "clean up"

I'm gonna go work on making levels, post any mechanics or ideas you'd like implemented, and what you would like to see in levels etc.
In the last thread you gave me a lot of good ideas, like an interactive environment.

I'll be back in a few hours.

Alright, get this:
Instead of fighting russian mobsters, you fight cute anime girls. You also play as a cute anime girl.
And by fight, I mean seduce and take home. So instead of killing anything you just have lesbian sex.

I like how you immediately assume we go to Holla Forums
Protip: I've been to that place maybe 3 or 4 times in my entire history with imageboards.

Just as free as people should be to use his content as long as it falls under fair use. People don't like hypocrites.

Not even an idea, more like an inkling of one, but do you think destructible cover could be feasible?

Maybe have a boss fight with an enemy wielding a machine gun, which you fight by darting from cover to cover, murdering mobsters for their guns in order to shoot back.

I know it wouldn't work, probably, but who knows.

Add more non-animal masks, those were cool

Wait, I'm a bit lost here.

You're making something with the HM level editor or what?

you mean more insect/squid masks?

no, we have our own engine. we are using HLM textures, gameplay and theme.

I actually have a level like that in mind.

How are insects and squids not animals? But more insect masks would be cool now that you mention it. A rhinoceros beetle mask that allows you to ram into your enemies, or a pistol shrimp mask that gives you twin revolvers or something.

I guess "non-animal masks" wasn't the best way to put it. I meant characters with techniques that severely differ from the masked ones, accompanied by accessories and the like. Think of The Son's glasses, bullets and knuckle-things.

perhaps a balaclava that allows you to enter the building through windows. I think that was originally supposed to be one of Corey's abilities.

He came to the backwoods freakshow of the internet, and then talked shit about the people within behind their back. So either he's an idiot for doing a random Q&A without paying any attention to his surroundings, or a fucking poser cunt for pretending he can hang loose with us when he really can't.
Either way fuck him, Uncanny Valley was terrible, James Kent is a faggy name.

we have a mask planned that will let you 'start' the level trough windows, but it will only be aquired at the end of the game. It will give some interesting alternative level starts as well as a way to unlock some eastereggs. We will only have one non-animal mask however, and that will be characters specific, he will have no correlation to 50 blessings.

well, true that. Can't argue with you there.

You should deffo check out insects and marine life though, there's some interesting stuff to be done with that shit.

Enemies that have to be executed, no matter what. Shooting them only knocks them down as if they were punched, as does hitting them with any melee weapon. You cannot knock them down with your fists, but you can do so by throwing anything at them.

Those are awful ideas.

Actually, both of them pulled that shit.

Tony wants to have a word with you.

You'd be slowing down the entire pace of the game with that retarded idea. Might as well make every kill a QTE.

Are you fucking retarded? Do you know how fucking stupid you sound like? I can get a fucking tape recorder, record some fucking idiot read a bunch of words and play it the fuck back at you and you would fucking know how fucking stupid you are, jesus christ why in the FUCK would you be that fucking stupid, that's DOOD amount of stupid, slowing shit down like a fucking retard, the whole game would be fucking butchered to a point where you would have to be FUCKING INVINCIBLE to play the game if you designed levels straight 1:1 with duos of enemies in room. If you think I'm some kind of Tony asshat, you can fuck off because makes throwing guns at people as useful as shooting them, you fucking idiot.Fucking retarted piece of shit.

Have you played Hotline Miami 2? Because if you did and you still think your idea is good you're fucking retarded.

Holla Forums why don't you fuck off and go find proof of that instead of riddling me with this shit?
Or better yet why don't you go back to 4chan where you can be a dumbass nigger as much as you want? Sounds better for the both of us.

Pert said in that QnA that he was mad because he didn't agree with the political opinion of the video maker. He later addressed the maker (Gex?) himself and said that their political opinions were opposite and that's why he was mad. So what's the opposite of anti-refugee sentiments? I mean there's a chance Pert isn't a total retard about the rapefugee problem, but then why did he act out like a child then?

those prison guys that bash your head into the fucking concreteis pretty neat, tweak them abit into coked up mobs that can take more than one hit but flinches (add i-frame here) everytime they do
in fact, make the enemies that are able to take multiple hits (you said this in the last thread) to have flinching animations

Is Carl a cuck

wow user i'm amazed you didnt see this analogy

Here's the image you were probably mentioning. The guys a moron if he thinks that people who use his music are affiliated with his own political view.

Hotline miami fag here. I wanted to do a project too (If it wasn't for the fact the editor is not out yet for gogfags and I lost interest), so best of luck with your game and don't fuck up like Dennaton did

You gotta be honest the reaction is incredibly childish.

Both sides are childish. The difference is Perturbator isn't a random shitposter on Holla Forums.

To be honest if I was surrounded by regular normalfags and I got accidentally affiliated with Holla Forums, and I had said regular normalfags emailing me about Holla Forums views and the like I would be a little scared too. I think the correct move would've been to just distance yourself from the video and just leave it at that, though.

It would not slow the game down if implemented correctly. Every few chapters, there's one of these guys hanging around as a mini boss. Now, it would if you had 3 of them on the same floor.

I'de just have a copypasta to email back to people retarded enough to think that somebody who uses my music mean I'm affiliated with the political view of the person who uploads it.

Fuck that is pretty cringy
i mean fuck, what is wrong with refusing to align with someone else's political view? this is almost as if that Holla Forums can't stand when someone they like don't share the same views as them and they get fucking triggered because of it since someone disagrees with them
reminds you of a lefty clique don't you think

Getting the thread back in track, I have a question for OP.

Namely, how many "unique" weapons are you planning to include?

An user from the last thread here, OP mentioned unlockable weapons to replace carl's drill, and so far OP said that a hammer and a bigass wrench will be the unlockables

I remember, but that's not what I mean.

What I mean is, weapons that work differently from the "standard" or at least have unique execution animations, eg the katana, the bottle, the brick, the saucepan full of boiling water, etc.

vents.

Nice dubs, but I think vents would really mess with the flow of gameplay. Unless you do something like Clean Hit, I guess. Is that what you have in mind?

I will probably have an ant mask, need to add more animal masks but I am still considering which ones to put in.

No. As pointed out, it would slowdown the gameplay too much.

There are already bosses in plan, so there is no need to implement this.

there will be a character that cleans out crack dens and ghettos, so I could implement that kind of enemy there.
of course, a player needs to see his hit register.

ahh brilliant, thanks for giving me a laff.

how did they fuck up? By not releasing anything on time?

there will be environment based weapons, unique to the levels theme. You will be able to find various power tools and plain normal tools as well as shit like bleach bottles with which you can knock down and execute enemies by pouring bleach in their eyes, throwing weapons will be more common, but you will also have enemies that throw projectiles at you. You will be able to catch the projectiles if you click at the right second. In kitchen/restaurant environments you will be able to pick up knives and cleavers.

I'd maybe include a vent in one or two levels, but having them common would slow shit down.

this shit made me wince so hard

they literally remind me of people who spoke in chanlinguo on social networks back in 2009

I would like Bicep's Carmine and maybe one of VHS Head's songs to make an appearance.

Yea, I was thinking they'd be like Clean Hit, not something that'd be featured in every level.

Honestly, the Holla Forums reaction is pretty exaggerated.
However, I'd be fucking mad too when I found out that, after this shitshow of a Q&A, 200+ were killed in France by mudslimes.
Hobbies and pasttimes are significantly less important than current events that affect the world.

Perhaps you could have a stealth-oriented level/character that uses vents as a mechanic to bypass unkillable guards. Of course, that probably isn't something you're looking to add into your game.

Ok, fuck it, I'm feeling adventurous. Give a list of some decent levels for HM2, preferably ones without shitty cutscenes.

Avoid long, vertical corridors. That's one of the things vanilla HM2 did bad. The game's forced into widescreen, so even with the zoom the player sees more of the horizontal space, turning vertical spaces into blind spots. At least that's how I feel about this stuff.

That's the worst drawing of the Son I have ever seen in my life, god damn.

Figures, I found it on Steam.

Please incorporate elements of both HM 1 and 2. HM 2 does some things very right, don't just ignore it completely.

I really like this campaign, barely any cutscenes just corey killing mafiyas
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=678235230&searchtext=

Not a bad song, we'll probably ask the artist for it.
We have already asked VHS and are waiting.

that is a very good idea, mechanically speaking. I will keep that in mind user, thank you.

Of course, I really liked HLM2 and will incorporate what I liked from the game, but I still think HLM has better overall gameplay, they dumbed it down in HLM2 by streamlining it, due to removing the extra weapons in the levels and there are no more level gimmicks like the van in that one level or the SWAT break-in in crackdown.

Are you telling me that they final took their fucking editor and finalized it a couple months ago and I'm hearing about it now? We need to bring back the level editor threads now that the editor sucks less.

And then the Paris attacks happened around a month afterwards where 130 of his countrymen where murdered you piece of human garbage.

We know that just like we know that the reason that you hate Holla Forums is because you disagree with it politically.

Don't try to pretend otherwise.

stay mad, being against mass immigration in europe does not mean I support your ideology, nor does it mean anyone has to support your ideology.
There are plenty of people who oppose this shit happening right now who would still react no different than pertubator.

That video was specifically against mass Muslim immigration and had nothing to do with the other shit that we believe in you dishonest piece of shit..

m8 I watched the video, a shit ton of footage from the video is actually irrelevant to the current immigrant crisis, a lot of the things the muz's say is falsely subtitled
Why not make a video about the economic implications of this shit?
How about how mass immigration policies in europe became popular in the first place? do you even know why this is?

the majority of muzzes that passed trough here passed with 2 to 5 children and were couples of 40+ years.
Not to mention the fact it is only the muslims with money that can find refuge in europe, as the poorfags in Syria couldn't afford to leave and had to stay and fight, this is the reason you see immigrants in nikes, with iphones and whatnot.

Horrifying! Truly the bane of the white race!

The thing that least concerns me is european nationality, what frightens me is the economic implications of these muslims staying in europe, because the influx of cheap labor will either lower pays or heighten work hours, as if you don't want to work for a shit pay there will always be somebody who will and you will be forced into a deadend job, and that is just one of the many factors.

sage for off-topic.

If economics is all that you care about then you're a fucking spiritual Jew.

Of course money is more important than your people, it's history, and it's culture. It's completely okay to grow up without a sense of belonging or community as long as I have my fucking shekels.

lirias.kuleuven.be/bitstream/123456789/84600/1/20100708110945526.pdf

Oh yeah and of course the collapse of social trust and cohesion have no important in relation to the almighty dollar.

you are triggered as fuck

Not an argument.

Also i'm going to bed

tumbleweave.bandcamp.com/album/demon-squeeze

You should ask these guys if you can use Rumbleweave off this album. I always thought that song would fit in a HM game.

If you need gimmicky audio cue stuff like that low hum that plays when you complete a level in Hotline Miami 1 check out II, IV, VII, IX, XI and XII off Raspberry BulbĀ“s Privacy.

Hey OP, I was an user that posted about some of the interactive environments (specifically the breakable walls and electric fences) but I had another idea along those lines. Contextual executions. For example, say you knock an enemy up against a fridge/locker (or other object that has a door), instead of kicking them like you would normally to execute, you open the door and slam it against their heads. Or if you knock an enemy up against a lit stove, you pick them up and hold their head on the flame, burning their head. Maybe when you knock down an enemy near a toilet, instead of bashing their head or whatever, the player dunks the enemies head into it, you drown them in it or breaks the toilet seat over their head (which results in them drowning). Or if you knock an enemy into a desk with a TV on it, you slam their head through the TV, leaving their corpse hang limp from it.

You could get pretty creative depending on the environment/objects you design and program. Let's say you have a level in a saw mill (or other workshop type area) and it has a buzz saw that's running on a workbench. Assume again that you knock an enemy up against this workbench, instead of kicking the enemy to execute, you pick them up and hold their head/neck to the saw to decapitate them. Or you remember those acid baths from HM2 in the sewer? Say you knock an enemy into one of those, the execution could be holding their head/face in the acid then leaving it in once they die. Hell, you could even have the enemy fall right into the bath instead of going into the execution position at all.

I know something like this might require more programming or animating or designing or whatever since it's more elaborate (and ultimately more lengthy, thus potentially fucking with the flow of the game), but I'm basically sticking to the theme of "more ways to murder." I suppose one way you could streamline them to keep the flow going (and cut down on your own work) is have the player and enemy just snap to the necessary positions for execution, rather than animate the PC dragging/ifting the downed enemy into position then executing. (This also assumes my idea isn't shit and that you'd actually use it).

its pretty much the same tbh, just less buggy and all
plus the hayday of level editor has passed anyways

Sounds cool, but I think it'd disrupt the flow of gameplay too much.

Have you played Manhunt 2 and Sleeping Dogs, perchance?

This would be the coolest shit but it shouldn't be used too often. Maybe as a gimmick in some levels.

Hey OP, just curious. What were your favorite plotlines from the second game?

The Fans don't count. That'd be cheating ;^)

I have to admit, I dislike this music, but I will still give it to the rest of the team to check out and if they decide on it they can put it in the game. Thanks for the music either way.

Well firstly, these are good ideas and I will probably implement them but they will not be common, more a circumstantial thing on some levels, and will work only once so players don't bait endless rows of enemies to one death as it'd get stale. Expect to see this implement it but expect to see it on maybe 5-6 of the 30 or so levels that will be in game.

Why? Mostly because it'd fuck with the flow of the game, but it would certainly be great thematically.

Pardo was pretty interesting once you connected the dots, the fact that he possibly works for the russian mafia to cover up their criminal work, I also really loved Richter's plotline.

Also, our programmer is being a cunt so our artist will have to crop every single sprite frame, if anyone would like to volounteer to do the manual work of cropping that'd be cool. We couldn't really pay you since we do this for free ourselves but we could let you in on the project/storyline.

I remember that fucking thread, it was cringey as hell. Depressing too, because he came to /mu/ to do an AMA that ended up stretching out for a few days, and most of it devolved into Holla Forumsshit as soon as the video hit.

Alot of people in the thread were acting civilized too, it's just the retarded few who are the loudest in a thread

I wish they had gone that way instead of the moronic Miami Mutilator mess.

But pardo commited the murders to take attention away from the russian mob's dealings, you just have to look at the dates and dead ahead to notice it. He was literally paid to do it. That is what I think, anyway.

is this a fanmade hotline miami game or something?

try asking Victor Love, maybe he can release an instrumental for you

soundcloud.com/victorloveofficial

Yes, we are making a fan game based off the gameplay and storyline of hotline miami.

And I will consider asking the dude, thank you.

That's an actual theory people have brought up? Damn. I wish Hotline Miami's storyline was still up to discussion and interpretation, rather than everyone just settling with the "ITS ALL POINTLESS BRO, HM1 WAS JUST A FEVER DREAM BRO, BEARD WAS NEVER ALIVE, BRO."

Apple//Green doesn't do synth shit but he's exceptionally talented and has worked on Holla Forums projects before and tends to have a wide range. He might be able to poop something out that would sound similar to what you're looking for. Though last I heard he was busy with life. It might be worth asking him either way. He's a Freelance Composer after all. soundcloud.com/kevinhanse

Just let it go man, the second game is a total disappointment
They can't recapture the first game's feel and atmosphere even if they try

Yea, its why I just went with "HM2 is all just a movie made by beard based on the Jacket killings" theory.

I just cant erase the second game from my head, its set in stone now.

i feel ya user
sometimes sequels are a mistake from the get-go