I'm gonna go ahead and say something that might be complete fabrication from a very bad memory, but hear me out alright?

I'm gonna go ahead and say something that might be complete fabrication from a very bad memory, but hear me out alright?
In the early 2000s, maybe a few years after Pokemon Gold and Silver were released, my parents installed on their PC a game that was very similar to them and that I'm pretty sure wasn't an emulator.
Now I'm not sure when the first GB emulator was made, but I doubt my parents would be able to set it up for me, or that I had the knowledge to actually do this by myself.

Does anyone remember this weird unofficial port of Pokemon gold and silver on PC I'm talking about? Is there any possibility that a thing like this existed or am I just imagining things?

I'm pretty sure the game was broken or barely working, but then again I might be just making all this up and be completely wrong. Just thought I'd ask.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.telefang.net/Pokémon_Diamond_and_Jade
wiki.telefang.net/Telefang_2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Other than a few edutainment games, there's never been a pokemon release on PC.
It was most likely a bootleg or a fan made flash game.

No, of course I know it wasn't official, just wondering if anybody had ever played anything similar

It may have been an Emulator, I remember fiddling around with the japanese version of Pokemon Silver on PC before I played it on Gameboy a year later.

maybe it was just a dream OP

There were several GB emulators as early as 2001, such as PlayGuy, Gnuboy, CreamGBC, BasicBoy, and TGB Dual.
So it's entirely possible.

CERTAIN YOU NOT THIS OPPOSITION IMAGINE?

Have you tried asking your parents about it? They'd be the first to know.

I have, they don't remember and there isn't really any proof around since that pc and the house I lived in are long gone

I remember a straight up port of Pokemon Blue playable on a friends computer no later than 2000. His dad ran a computer store so he may have found a way to magic a bootleg on there.

I remember I had a CD related to Gold and Silver. I think it was called the "GS Disc", and I got it from Nintendo Power or something? The CD wore out years ago, but I saved some of the files from it. (Pics related.) It was just wallpapers and such though, so if you actually remember playing a game this wasn't it.

I remember a friend in elementary school having an executable rom of the red/blue games on his PC. It must have been some sort of custom emulator tailored around the games specifically. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of? Good luck finding it by the way I can't imagine that being easy.

I remember user.
I saw someone playing Pokemon gold on a floppy disk. it didn't look like an emulator but I never figured out how it worked

I still have a floppy of pokemon red

wut

Dump the contents, user. Humor us. Timestamps or GTFO as well.

Ok, ill see if I can dig out a working floppy reader and try. If I dont post within an hour than it wont be till 16hours from now.

I'l be waiting
godspeed

I'll be waiting right here you gigantor faggo

I also played pokemon red and gold from a floppy, but it was just an emulator with the game and a fucked-up translation with garbage text

EGG! DRUG BAG FUCK

I remember playing Pokemon V Crystal back when I was in school.

I saved the game to the school's primary drive along with a ton of snips I took of the game. I wonder if it's still there.

Got a Floppy reader buy not cables for it. Sorry, if I happen to get a chance to rip the content ill start a thread. But dont hold your breath

take a pic of that floppy
copy that floppy boy

Don't you dare listen to this user don't copy that floppy.

This is actually half true. there is a code of conduct.

Piracy is 100% okay if:

if you're just pirating your games because 'free shit :DDD' even though you have money and the devs are cool, you're a fucking faggot.

that opinion is like the general consensus on this board now. which is good. hate seeing "EBIN FREE SHITE :DD" everywhere.

Lies
Everyone has an excuse for everything, like devs retweeting someone they don't like, "not good enough of a game", Drm. etc

the only faggots i see doign that are people who claim to be special snowflakes that "pay for everything no matter what!" and have "morals".
nah m8

Was it this one?
wiki.telefang.net/Pokémon_Diamond_and_Jade

EBIN FREE SHITE :DD

Not OP, but I remember that game. I still have catridge. There was some group translating it from Japanese but I stopped following it some time ago.

I remember playing a DVD pokemon game, which was included with the first few episodes of the anime. You could walk in a square of grass and encounter a handful of pokemons.

This is some creepypasta shit, OP.

This.
I was amazed by these as a kid; a few years later emulators became huge. I guess Pokemon led to quicker development.

>wiki.telefang.net/Telefang_2
Holy shit, yess

You played an emulated version of the game user.

I was 14 around the time Red/Blue came out in North America and it took the country by storm. Pokemon was everywhere and tons of casuals were begging their parents to get them Gameboys just for that game. It was also around the time where owning a computer was starting to become a need instead of a luxury item. Lots of people were buying their first PC and getting internet access in the home for the first time.

By that point emulation was starting to become good enough to play and early fan-translations were begin distributed on the internet. Pokemon Green had been fully translated sometime in 1998 (or maybe before) and Pokemon Gold/Silver were translated into English before their official release outside of Japan.

Lots of us were around selling those games on floppies to kids who didn't own a Gameboy. The small fee was usually lunch money ($1.25 in those days). CDs were common too later on but in the early days burners were a bit of a rarity. Those didn't become common for another year or two when most people bought them simply because Napster/.mp3 audio took off.

My friend had Pokemon sapphire on PC on the same year as release, he could use save states.

I'm having a hard time believing 90s kids had access to cart readers. Unless if you just sold burned ROMs you downloaded, in which case you're lucky your teachers didn't find out.

ROMs were widely available on the web back then and on BBSs/usenet way before that. Everything was easy to obtain and find if you knew where to look. The hardware to dump you own cartridges were sold through the mail and advertised in the various gaming magazines of the day. Obtaining it was as easy as getting a money order and waiting 8 weeks for it to show up in the mail.

Teachers didn't give a shit about any of this stuff. They didn't understand it (save one or two) and any kid that was decent enough to use a computer without assistance was deemed a "smart kid" that made the school look good because it proved the money they'd just spent on computers for every class room was justified.

It wasn't the stone age. Just a couple of years later we were trading Dreamcast games the same day they were released (or the day after) in IRC channels. By 1999 DeCSS was in widespread use and groups were releasing "high quality" DVD rips using the DivX video codec. Trading/burning PSX games was common among those that owned CD burners and there were several easy methods for getting them to boot on the consoles. Saturn owners were playing imports/backups with mod-chips sourced from the back of magazines since support state side was awful in the later years.

I played it in english on a cartridge more than 7 years ago, m8.

Post a picture of it.