In light's of Nintendo's recent ignoring of Metroid's 30th birthday...

In light's of Nintendo's recent ignoring of Metroid's 30th birthday, what are some other series criminally overlooked by Nintendo?

starting off obvious

inb4 F-Zero

I suppose Earthbound, but does anyone really want another one of those games?
Does anyone want another Metroid? I'm really not bothered. I doubt Nintendo could get something out that lives up to all the hype unless they got their entire company working on it or made a deal with the devil.

Pretty much anything besides Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. I fucking miss Wario Land games.

I know it's not a series but still

They didn't ignore Metroid's 30th user, why they even shut down a Metroid fan game in celebration!

F-Zero, Game and Watch, Advance Wars…pretty much any series that isn't Mario, Kirby, Pokémon, Zelda, and the occasional Animal Crossing.

Why do faggots keep trying to shill their games before they come out? Do they want the kikes to SHUT IT DOWN?

the game did come out dumbass

Shut-down was a DMCA request against one site that hosted it in particular, game's still out in the wild and up for download on the developer blog where it first released. Literally anybody could've filed the DMCA request, Nintendo would've issued a C&D.

Shit, now I'm remembering all those G&W Gallery games for the gba.

Oh. I just thought it was another case of fans getting D&C'd by corps by attention-whoring before finishing and releasing it, like those Paper Mario autists or the horsefuckers who forced their shitty fighter into EVO even when the devs told them not to.

At least they're making another pikmin, right?

Are they?
Now that Iwata's gone I doubt anybody cares about Pikmin at nintendo anymore

It was supposedly close to completion this time last year. Guessing it will be an NX launch title now. I thought Pikmin was close to Miyamoto's heart anyway.

What was the last Kirby game? Was it good? Only Kirby I've played is Air Ride and the one with the girl with the paint brush.

I just played through Wario Land 1 and 2 for the first time last week. I've only played 4 before this. I already started 3, but I'm definitely gonna be doing 4, World, and Shake It after

I confused Myamoto with Iwata, oops

Planet Robobot.

It's pretty good. You probably want to play other games though so you can fully appreciate it.

Specifically Super Star Ultra and Triple Deluxe.

Look Holla Forums, i'm tired of your shit.
Let's have some real talk for a second.

Let's say i'm a Nintendo suit, i come on this board, and i tell you, i'm going to push foward a new F-zero, a new metroid, i'm going to bring back this shit that you like, but in exchange i'm going to need SALES.
You will have to BUY THESE VIDEOGAMES and we need enough sales to justify the time and money spent on these games.

I'm going to be completely blunt: i don't have faith in you, the Wii was our best selling console, the DS was our best selling handheld, in both cases we made money by ignoring you, and catering to casuals instead, we made a SHIT TON of money, every single time we tried even remotely catering to you and the core audience, we end up with disasters that don't sell jack shit, all the WiiU games you praise? They haven't sold SHIT, and the WiiU itself is one of our biggest failures of all time.

So tell me, Holla Forums, how can you reassure me?
Is there a single thing you can say that can actually convince me to release new games in the series that you love, and make them cater to you?
Is there a single piece of proof you can provide me that those games won't tank like shit deep underground and we would have, once again, wasted our time and money?
Holla Forums you bitch and moan about these series being dead all day, but where's your economic support?
Where's the fucking dosh for these games?
How can i possibly talk to my boss about releasing shit that you like when there's 10 of you and only 5 of you actually play and buy video games?

Work with me here, how in the everloving fuck can i ever convince nintendo that catering to you again is a winning strategy when in the last decade we've been crushed with the overwhelming evidence that it's the dumbest business decision we can possibly make and catering to a wide audience of casuals is instead immensely more profitable, and on top of that they also bitch far less and buy our shit?

I wish I could drop a bowling ball on your head.

Nigger, the Wii U's failure was because they didn't have anything to rope people in at the beginning besides Nintendo Land and Mario 3D World so it fell behind the other consoles. It didn't have a killer app like Splatoon or even Smash at launch and suffered for it.

Look at the 3DS. It had Kid Icarus Uprising around the start of its lifespan and lots of people got a 3DS for it and had a steady supply of decent games.

Wii U failed because of the lack of games, regardless of their appeal to casual or "core" audiences. To further cripple the already suffering library, most of the games that core audiences would care about were censored to hell and back in an attempt to not drive away the casual audience, but the casual audience left before the 3DS was even released, resulting in an effort that only drove away the core audience. Start making more games, stop censoring them, stop ignoring IPs that aren't part of the fucking Mario-Zelda-Pokemon trifecta.

I mean you're not wrong, but they're not making money from casuals, they tried, and they can't.
Every time they try to pander to "us" they do it badly. I mean look at the WiiU, the first party titles worth getting for it are less than a handful.

And let's be real, the Gamecube failed because the PS2 was just dominating the market. It wasn't anybody's fault, Gamecube sold as much as the other consoles during the same generation, which, let's not forget, was the only gen with 4 different home consoles.

So Nintendo can either decide to try and pander to a less casual audience and maybe get their trust back (by maybe also firing all the NoA execs), or they can keep trying to make stuff that casuals won't buy.

das it mane

Fucking this. I appreciate your bluntness, and it's true. Star Fox Zero sold like shit even though it was the closest to 64 in almost two decades. Even though people kept screaming for a new Star Fox. You got one and proceeded to ignore it, and your only excuse for ignoring it was the controls. Even though it's fun as fuck. How do you expect to get more series you like if you keep ignoring them?

I think the problem was that it was so close to StarFox 64
That game lasts like an hour and is entirely on rails, I mean I liked it knowing it came from a very limited system, but there was a lot more they could've done with it
Instead they just copied the old game and added a few questionable things

Oh you mean the main fucking aspect of the game? The entirety of what you do relies on controls and if you fail on that everything else is for naught.

Also like said I don't want to play 64 again, I did that shit already with good controls.

Are you retarded?

Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fire Emblem x SMT, Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water.
Those are games I would consider "core audience" material, they were censored, and they are the most recent to come to mind.

It's literally three games.

That's half of the wiiU library

I believe Itoi wants the mother series to stay a trillogy.

I want to say you're wrong, but it's quite frankly too true, my only problem with your post is that they aren't making money from the casuals either, as we can see from the complete and utter flop the Wii U has been, they've all moved on to the PS4 and or mobile, Nintendo is frantically trying to pander to anyway at this point, which is why they keep pouring money and time into games everyone has already played and is sick of in the hopes that someone will come along, recognize a simple tried and true formula and play it because of that

That's the real reason behind the "Nintendo just rehashes the same shit over and over again" meme, It's because its usually an extremely SAFE bet, they have absolutely nothing to worry about when they release this gen's Side Scrolling or 3D Mario Platformer, they know that's going to sell regardless of the quality or innovation, they know Pokemon will sell just the same each and every time because of how popular the show is with children, it's free advertising for both the games and the other misc merch, It's also the reason you don't see much Zelda or Metroid or F-Zero or what have you, those are very obvious hard sells to anyone outside of their guaranteed consumers which are pretty obviously children

Same reason there's such rampant censorship at NoA they WANT to branch out these niche JRPGs to an audience that they can sell to so they can bring over more of them, but they're frankly preaching to the choir by trying to sell something like FE to children with all of these ludicrous edits, the end result is the actual audience for these games is unhappy and the audience they were trying to sell it to with the changes is uninterested to begin with, it's a total lose/lose, and for that reason there's alot of stuff that will stay JP only.

Mother can rest

At leas until Treehouse "localizes" Mother 3

Doesn't matter, fan translation is already out.

The point you're making is absolutely correct, but only one part of the picture, if you ask me.
For example, the Wii U's failure can be attributed to much more than that. Horrible marketing, lack of features which are expected from a contemporary living room set-top device (e.g. multimedia playback, Blu-Ray support), failure to attain big-name third-party products (e.g. Call of Duty, Battlefield,…), to only name some.
Or, in Holla Forums's terms, they were not cancerous enough to compete.

I also think your critcism about the "core" audience is too harsh. Sure, their numbers are small. Sure, the term evokes images of clammy NEETs throwing tantrums on anonymous imageboards. However, they have a tendency to stay with your product.
Take Gust's Atelier series, for example (please note: those figures concern Japan only, I couldn't find Western totals). During the Arland trilogy, sales moved between 50-70k. Around Dusk, figures between 120k were recorded. For Sophie, 170k copies were sold before its Western release, according to Tecmo Koei.

These may not seem like much, but consider this: the core audience values consistency more than the casual audience. By iterating in only small steps between different releases, you can keep project footprints small while at the same time pleasing your target audience. See EDF, Monster Hunter.
The casual audience mainly wants to be entertained, and approaches video games in a similar manner like visitors attend a theme park - they want to be entertained, maybe thrilled once or twice, but nothing too tense, and be done with it in a few hours without the feeling of having wasted time. Since they are the majority by far, it's only logical from a business point of view to tailor bigger projects towards this type of customer mindset.
I hope Nintendo takes this all into account for their next platform.

I am by no means qualified to make any of those statements above; these are mainly observations made by somebody who considers himself part of the core audience you addressed with your post.
By the way, I think the term "core" is misleading. In this industry, we lost the claim for that title some time ago.

what a faggy long winded post

use fewer words

no u

My point is simple: the core audience will stick with you, but it makes fuck all difference if there's so few of them.
You can run an entire console or handheld just on them as your main playerbase anymore.

You can run A GAME on such a playerbase, for example let's say that you can make a game made by a mid sized AA studio survive off exclusively core audience purchases (assuming Holla Forums fucking buys the damn thing, and we both know they fucking don't and will find a million excuses to justify themselves from shilling out that goddamn money), but the problem is that you can't make hardware survive off that audience alone.

You know how you can make hardware survive on that audience alone by making every single last one of them come out of the woodwork? By having an exploit and having your system being hackable and customizable, with emulators etc, then you'll see hardware sales go trough the roof.
But you'll also commit suicide at the same time because all software sales will crash and burn and all the companies working for the system will hate you forever.

So you basically can't fucking win.
You either go full casual, or die in this industry.

*can't

Kid Icarus Uprising wasn't the game that boosted 3ds sales. What made the 3ds a hit was releasing Fire Emblem Awakenings and quickly following up with Animal Crossing all before the new Pokemon game came out.

And the thing is Awakening was supposed to be the end of the series, they weren't selling anymore, let alone in the US but then Awakening was a hit and the series has seen two more games since.

Again, you are absolutely correct. It seems my point didn't get across in my last post; sorry about that, let me try it again, hopefully clearer this time:

Unlike the other two big players in the video game hardware industry, Nintendo is known for both their hardware and software products. This puts a lot of pressure on them, not only financially, but also (I guess) socio-economically - expectations are high and specific from every part of the gaming community.
Now, you can't please everybody. Appealing to the lcd is the modern way to go, but will bomb in the long run, and you will completely disregard the "core" market; as I suggested, there *is* money to be made there, and ignoring a market you can turn a profit from just seems stupid, economically speaking.
A company this big, with a product/ip portfolio so diverse and a reach so far, should take a multi-layered approach for their (software) product design regarding target audience - as this conversations suggests, there are at least two of those "expectation layers".

So, by saying that I hope Nintendo takes these things into account, I mean that, if the NX actually turns out to be high-performance mobile entertainment device people think it'll be, the company will further surprise everybody by making sensible decisions regarding their software product portfolio.
Address core gamers with smaller franchises like Metroid, Fire Emblem, Xeno*. Fans have a very specific idea of what they want, and it's nothing that hasn't been done before. Position Fire Emblem as a counter-franchise to Persona, because that's all it is nowadays. Make an actual sequel to Fusion, bonus points for retconning Other M. I'd also suggest giving 2 the Zero Mission treatment, but..
Address the casual audience with the three big franchises - Mario, Zelda, Pokemon.
Implement currently popular game play mechanics, like Breath of the Wild does. Make simple, mobile, free to play games with microtransactions, like they do with Pokemon Picross/Rumble and that other thingy on the 3DS. Put a lot of polish into those games, because those are the titles that will pull the most numbers. Release spin-offs for the core audience every now and then, like Hyrule Warriors. Whoever had the idea to put ZR on Zelda should get a medal.
Then, put reps from all of the franchises into the next Smash, so that the occasinal casual gamer will see a character he doesn't know and then say to himself: "Looks cool, I wonder where that one is from."

If Ninty wasn't so fucking stupid we'd have Wario Land 5, 6, and 7 on 3DS, naturally continuing the series from the Gameboy series, with one entry being another go at the style of Wario Land 3, one being another go at the style of Wario Land 4, and one being a completely new and innovative entry. Only in my dreams.

Are you from here? Have you missed many a thread where people bought stuff?

But even then these three aren't the only games Nintendo is making though. You seem to be ignoring games like Kirby, Fire Emblem, or Animal Crossing which by all means have seen more major releases then Zelda as of late.

Another point to take into account is NoA who only want to bring over the big sellers. They more than anybody else don't want to take risks and will even sabotage games so they can keep up the idea that people only want Mario-Zelda-Pokemon.

The list wasn't exhaustive. I don't play Animal Crossing, so it didn't spring to mind when I wrote the post. The sales numbers talk for themselves, though.

It also not set in stone. I tried to point out with what kind of content target audiences could be addressed, not with which franchises specifically. I highly doubt any of those will surpass the new Zelda in sales figures, however, at this point it's only speculation.

I am not sure if NoA can be attributed as the source of all bad things in this world. Nintendo has a history of requesting the removal of Japanese culture-specific content during localisation so as to not be accused of "cultural invasion".
In any case, I don't think it's in the scope of this discussion. The question was, with you playing advocatus diaboli on our behalf, how you can convince your boss to pander to Holla Forums's taste. The answer is, only with something from which you can't make money from by addressing a bigger target audience.

If any other company had ignored a classic series anniversary and C&D'd a celebration fangame Holla Forums would pilejump all over it.
but then again It's Okay When Nintendo Does It

Wahtt a surprise.

Have YOU been here?

Whenever the generic weeb or Jp vidya that is regularly touted as the greatest shit of all time but is unfortunately bound to a consle finally gets a PC port there's magnet links, mega links, or whatever within a few hours of release, and then that same audience bitches and moans whnever they lament they'll never see a sequel/more ports to PC

See: Dragon's Dogma and Senran Kagura

There's so much shit that can be done with Wario and Waluigi, they're such interesting characters and so much of the lore they built around them is really interesting.
Pisses me off it's just ignored so much

But there are a lot of Warioware games user :^)

At DD's launch there were a number of anons that had pirated it in the threads, yes, but there were also a shit ton of people that bought the game and were awaiting the unlock or bought the game after release and were discussing how to migrate saves.

Dragon's Dogma sold very well on Steam, so maybe use another example. You're partially right.

What in the fuck?

DD maybe sold well for PC port, you think Capcom cares?

But I'll concede on that one

what about the other one I pointed out, Senran Kagura? Last I checked it had a pretty week first weak and has had nowhere to go but down since

The point you're making I understand.

This is why I pay for my games from the developers I like. I don't buy jewish-esque types of DLC, ala-CA or Paradox studios but I will buy some of CA's games because TW is my favorite niche. Thus I hope they continue making them as the base games, no matter how shitty they are, are still enjoyable to my "shit taste".

I've never cared for criticism of "shit taste" if you enjoy a video game play it, buy it if you want to support the devs into making more. If you don't, pirate it.

This question is going to give every Nintendo IP in the book. It's like asking "what is your favorite sonic game?" Everyone is going to like some different IP from Nintendo regardless of quality.

An user that knows more about niche jap games can interpret this in a more meaningful way, but this is what steam spy reports in terms of users that own the game.

You don't even have to cader to Holla Forums you have to stop fucking up the games you already make with stupid decisions they could have easily prevented.
Stop censoring your games that are made for a niche audience, stop cutting off content with amiibos, putting memes in translations, And kick reggie in the cunt when he feels like not bringing over a game to the states so when a niche game can make sales (*cough*xenoblade*cough* which you retroactively fucked *cough* with censorship in XCX*cough*) you won't miss easy money.
unfuck games like Devils Third region locked online
unfuck bravely default 2 from it's censorship
put FE:Fates into one game
not make FE a waifusim
MAKE AN ACTUAL MAINLINE SEQUEL TO METROID WITHOUT RAPING AN IP FURTHER INTO THE GROUND
NEVER PULL AN #FE AGAIN
DON'T PULL A DARK PIT IN A SMASH ROSTER, COMPLAIN HOW IT'S HARD WORK TO MAKE CHARACTERS MUH ARM** THEN PUT IN RYU, CLOUD AND FUCKING BAYONETTA
ACTUALLY PUT IN NINTENDO CHARACTERS IN YOUR CROSSOVER
That would be a start for the Holla Forums audience to like and to not actively hope for Nintendo's death

Also the casual audience is a broad statement since it's "majority audience that gives me money"

40k for a game that has no advertisements and hat to wade through all the trash on Steam?

That's pretty good for a port too

Also they should actively DMCA AM2R,Nintendo Power magazines, and Project Melee when they are going to do jack shit with them

that is actively going to piss off most Holla Forums-goers

did they BLATANTLY ignore it?

not even a tweet? not even weaponizing it to shill on some digital marketing for their social media for federation farce?

Nothing.
Sonic Twitter said something though, I guess there's that

Does Nintendo own this IP? I've been playing it recently, and I gotta say it's much better written than Resident Evil ever could hope to be.

Got a screencap? Whoever runs the Sonic twitter's a pretty decent guy. Kind of sad someone at Sega would have better memory/care for fans of a rival product than the company that owns said product itself.

It's published by Nintendo and developed by Silicon Knights. I assume Nintendo owns the rights, but is unwilling to do anything with it (especially in [CURRENT YEAR]). I don't think it sold too well when it first came out.

I haven't found anything :/

Oh sorry it wasn't on twitter, it was in a facebook comment

It's not just the games. It's the fact that you have zero respect for your audience, and the games are just an extension of that.

There is no pride in your products for you. If it's not Mario or Zelda, you couldn't fucking care less if they bombed. And to the fans of these series that you ignore, it's a fucking slap in the face. I mean goddamn, when was the last time you celebrated F-Zero? Metroid? Pikmin? When was the last time you took the time to say "X years ago today, Fox McCloud and friends saved the Lylat System. Happy anniversary, Star Fox!"?

Fucking never, because you don't fucking care.

All I'm saying is that your audience grew up with more than just Mario and Zelda. Pretending like none of your other series exist because you don't want to put in the time and effort to acknowledge they exist is just disgusting.

Funny how he keeps on top of memes and shit about rival series/companies, while still showing respect for them.

Wouldn't suprise me if he lurked here instead of cuckchan to be honest, he's on top of his shitposting game

Fuck me

Custom Robo

To be fair, there was a pilotwings for 3DS and it wasn't terrible

It could have been better

man I loved Birdman Mode.. that theme alone

I would enjoy a new 1080 game.

holy shit /cow/boy confirmed

Your not going after casuals, at least not properly.
For one, the Wii U's name alone was a clear indication Nintendo has no fucking clue how marketing is done.

Wii 2 would have done far more in selling the console, even with the lack of launch titles.

Not only that, Nintendo has seemed to forget the most important aspect to this industry. Iwata taught it, that games should be fun.

Core audience, casuals, that's all we want. Nintendo is making it harder to deliver on said fun. Look at Splatoon, an insanely good game that was fun and brought Nintendo massive success. Keep making games like that, that's all you need to do.

You make fun titles, we'll pay you money. A simple transaction.

Got a giggle out of that. Seriously though, who is this guy?

You mean one more game that where the branches were sold as two games just to be kikes.

A memespouter of the best sort. Probably one of the best things to happen to Sonic, or Sega, in quite a while.

The guy called out that terrible trailer for Mighty Number 2 (hence that banner with Sonic running from a pizza explosion in the background), and is evidently quite aware of CWC (given a tweet he once did in regards to "blue arms").

Really wouldn't shock me.

They will lose the trademark this year if they don't do anything with it

Those were Mario games.

Until you created amiibos and said "fuck you guys I'm going full hookers and blow"

YOU MEAN MARIO & LUIGI WITH THOSE ANNOYING ASS TOADS? YEAH WE COULD DO MORE