Who thought putting a dozen enemies in tiny arenas with shitty slow clunky player movement was a good design idea...

Who thought putting a dozen enemies in tiny arenas with shitty slow clunky player movement was a good design idea? 90% of the game consists of this brainfart.

you act like you thought Bethesda could develop a good game

why

DOOM

Good doom game

I didn't, I just checked it out for free.

nudoom isn't a bad game, but there's too many things about it that piss me off.

If that makes any sense.

This meme needs to die.

Because engine limitations.

Is that why there was no spear DLC?

It's better than I thought it would be. I wouldn't play it to the end, though. It's not worth my time, much less the money they're asking for.

How much would you say the game is worth? I thought it was rather enjoyable despite the high price of $60.00 Canadian Loonies.

if Holla Forums hates nudoom so much why do people keep making threads about it

Because they want to fit in or something.

$45 sounds about right. The game is short and essentially a bunch of arenas tied together with some corridors.
The movement feels like shit (inb4 b-but verticality! Quake does it better), the weapons feel anemic, the music is ok at best and actually makes it hard to hear what's going on at worst.
I haven't tried the multiplayer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just kind of there instead of thriving.

What really devalues the game for me is the lack of moddability and mapmaking tools compared to the original Doom. Snapmap is very basic, it only lets you place predesigned rooms instead of making your own and has an arbitrary limit to the amount of entities there can be in a map. For newbies it probably seems really cool, for Doom veterans it's like being downgraded from owning your very own workshop to a single workbench. It's incredibly limited and it honestly pisses me off that users can't create their own rooms. What the fuck.

I ended up buying it for $25, pretty happy with that price. Even if it's not up to what Holla Forums looks for, at least it's better than Doom 3.

you could just buy painkiller instead which is the exact same game that doesn't piggyback on their previous author's legacy and has modding capabilities

I actually like Doom 3, it's a solid FPS. It's a terrible Doom game, Painkiller captures the feeling and style of Doom much better.

I like Painkiller, but how does it represent Doom any better than nuDoom? Speed aside its still being locked into a room with a horde of enemies. I wouldnt even put the aesthetic in line; if anything its much closer to Quake.

Save for 'clones' and games on the same engine, I cant think of any real not-Doom games that attempt to mimic its style.

MOOM is a better Painkiller-like than Shadow Warrior 2013.
It's also currently the best FPS that tries to find a compromise between classic and modern gameplay mechanics, though you can count those on one hand.
If you like to shoot things, I recommend it for 20, maybe 30 bucks.

it's marginally worst than most shooters, and much worse with shooters that rely on speed

I got it for 40 or 50% off a while ago too.

It was fun, but even on one of the harder difficulties, I found myself purposely not using the chainsaw or the BFG.
Then I got the siege upgrade for the railgun and that broke the game.
I could increase the difficulty further, but I'd probably end up still not using the superweapons and just dying more often.

I'm not even good at shooters or anything, so if I have to purposely gimp myself to keep the game fun to play, they've fucked up somehow.

It's much faster, it has intricate level design with tons of secrets and it lacks pointless clutter like NuDooms upgrade system. The tarot card system is much closer to the rune system in NuDoom, but I actually like that one. It also has some pretty nice bossfights.

It's true that it's full of arenas, but the arenas are often much larger and I felt a lot less constrained. And you're right about the art style, I guess. But I love Quake as well so.

I thought it was pretty decent for speed in my opinion.
Keep in mind that I haven't really played an fps in years and don't have that much experience with them as an RPGfag.

git gud faggot

Is she okay?

yeah

Tis but a scratch

Sounds like a Bethesda action game.

nudood is okay. Not great, not shit.
It's worth considering what it did right, though. Consider previous bethid games like Wolfenstein the New Order which was poz as fuck - there's none of that Jewish bullshit in nudood, you just shoot stuff. Also, the engine is a proper PC game with cutting edge graphics, support for the portable API of the future, and no locked FPS like in previous games. Nightmare difficulty is at least somewhat challenging and will probably be very hard for gamers who have only played modern FPS games. And design-wise, it has less modern cancer than almost any other shooter that people actually play.

It's the classic arena style shooter that people think is what classic FPS are all about, but it was established by games like Serious Sam, and given how most engines are just for graphic display, they can't handle too many enemies at any given one time, so they have to spawn them in every few minutes, at least Serious Sam could hold more than 8 enemies at any given time, much much more, but engines nowadays are just for the eye candy.

This. Flying Wild Hog's games are prime example for this.

I don't think it was the problem. The speed was fine and the movement isn't clunky at all. The problem is the level design. Doom's level design is like a dumbed down Painkiller, and Painkiller was already shit to begin with. Meh, at least the guns and the enemies aren't as boring as Painkiller.

Not sure if shitposting or just a fucking dumbass.

It was a pretty good idea for making a profit. Regardless it was a solid execution of the modern style of FPS. Not up to the greatness of the original but about as good as I'd fairly expect from a AAA game. Solid 7/10 at the very least, probably 8.

shit/10

The speed is mehand is pretty typical for the slower paced modern shooters, he doesn't accelerate and the slight speed boost from jumping is a complete nerf of bunny hopping he also isn't fast enough for the Classic Doom level secrets before the devs had to actually change the levels to suit his slower speed (him being able to jump doesn't actually help him that much in this regard). The ledge climbing is purely because everything is put on a ledge to justify having a ledge grab and is basically pointless they could have just stripped out the ledge grabbing and the double jump you get later for one big jump instead.

Generally the whole package is overall bland even if the speed was better because it's a myriad of parts put together the vaguely resembles other games that do the same thing but better. Like Halo and it's multiplayer with a far superior map editor then anything you could do with nuDoom in fact this is one of it's more damning aspects because Bethesda had more or less developed a reputation of making games that doubled as Modding platforms and Doom fails to live up to that expectation.

It's made by Id Software though, not Beth. Imo it's all Carmack's fault for going absolute cuck and being Marky Kikerberg's goy bitch. I know that his non-Romero games are shit, but if Carmack was still in Id, at least Doom would probably have some mod support.

I have no idea why some people actually defend this game.
Even my casual "gurrl gaymer" sister thinks the game looks more like Halo than Doom.

and the worst part is, by modern standards it's 'fun' & 'good'

I like doom, doom 2 (with map wads) and nuDoom

you guys sound like you are just mad that fags like your game series

You're really shigging your diggys, aren't you?

Painkiller is even more boring than NuDoom from what I remember. The guns and enemies are more repetitive. You can run extremely fast if you tap space, but I rarely find a reason to do so. The bossfights are lame as fuck. The music was bland. Stopped playing halfway. 2004 had a lot of great games, and Painkiller isn't one of them.

I don't really like classic Doom to begin with. I hate the music and enemy design. So yeah, I'm okay with this game. Could be nice if longer and if the level design wasn't so stupid.

All doom games are shit tbh, superior FPS coming through.

Oh, so you have shit taste. Glad we cleared that up.

understandable I suppose
What do you hate about the enemy designs? You don't love an easily recognizable rogues gallery of fallen humans, hellish demons, and cybernetic monstrosities?

I bet you've never watched any Robert Bresson's film, bitch.

I don't know, I've been playing Doom and Doom 2 since I was like 11, around 9 or 10 years ago, when I installed my first internet downloaded game on my PC. Maybe I just got really bored of Doom and it's enemy design and behaviors, since for around 3 years I had nothing else to play.

So you basically played Doom for 3 years and nothing else? Makes sense you'd get burned out eventually. Did you at least have user WADs to help out with the monotony?

How the hell did you have literally no access to any other game?

There needs to be a balance between speed and slow enough for console players (because obviously consoles sell more). But I don't think it's possible

You can do moderately fast games by PC standard on console, look at TS.

Meh, it would make me puke.

I was only a kid, dad wouldn't let me buy or download new games while my other friends were playing their shiny gameboy and Xbox. They were right though, I turned into a video game addict when I got to HS.

Its probably possible if games like Timesplitters can try it. Granted games like Quake 3 cant be attempted due to poor controls unless the console has mouse + keyboard support like the Dreamcast.

That would be great if they pushed that feature more for consoles.

They could easily bait kids into getting a KB+M for their favourite annual shooter with a flashy advertisement saying that faster=better with blaring Brostep and celebrity appearance.

We've been over why DOOM is shit multiple times already.

It was nu-id but i'd imagine Bethesda would muck it up aswell.

There's an adapter that allows for that on most recent console, dunno how good it actually is though, then there's probably the odd game that supports M/KB..

At least now people can actually try and play the shit and discuss it without the mysterious posters doing their mysterious posting.

you don't like nuDoom, nobody really does, nobody plays it. died a week after release, never to be played again. a cynical off-season seat filler movie in game form. not B movie, but forgettable.
Doom 3 had a mixed reception, still has a small following and mods. Doom 4 is already history.

but i am playing it

EBEN COOK :DDD

It's not quite dead, but it clearly won't live long.

The only mod that looks remotely promising here is Project MSX. The rest look like shitty 90's classic FPS that I've played as a kid. Action Doom 2 looks more pretty than actually fun.

So were they.

yeah, it clearly won't go up in numbers. I haven't been following this game at all, is there DLC coming or planned?

I have never played Doom for multiplayer

this is the stats of every game ever unless it's some mmo grinding game, show me a good game with a good single player mode with better numbers

There's 3 DLC packs planned, one of which is released and has only multiplayer content. I don't know about the other two, but clearly they're at least trying to keep the game alive.

Whether or not you think they're good is irrelevant. The point is that there's a shit-ton of WADs out there without the "same old gameplay with stiff looking sprites." Shit, if you don't want "stiff looking sprites", then just play Smooth Doom.

Ugh, so nothing substantial then. Hope for the other two then.

I really want to know why they push only multiplayer maps as DLC when nobody likes it.

Heck the most I hear so far about recent id-reboots done by Bethesda is that people enjoy the single player for what they are.

Take your pick.

I know I really enjoyed Wolfenstein for that reason.

I'm guessing it's because Beth wanted the MP game bigger than it clearly turned out to be

I enjoyed the Wolfenstein they did as well, granted I still havent played Old Blood yet.

But I really hope this sends a message to big publishers that people would prefer a fun single player mode where they go "maybe I'll give it another playthrough someday" instead of focusing on another samey online mode.

Nu Doom is an ok game. Despite being called Doom it plays more like Piankiller or Serious Sam. But Nu Doom is closer to the original Doom than Doom 3

(Checked)
Looking at stats of one of bestest recent games makes me sad…

It's honestly just as great as the main game.

There is no reason to ever go back to playing NuDOOM unless you want to be a completion fag which shouldn't even take that long given the fact that all the secrets are easy as shit to find.
DOOM 1&2, hell even a little of 3 has all the reason to go back to simply because of the modding of all three games.
Funny enough DOOM 4 could have some reason with it's Snapmap, but because of the limitations, it gets old quickly.

They replaced the LKW with something worse in every possible way and added a few mandatory stealth sections.

I like the idea (more like logic) of how conventional bullets are like pea shooters to the alloy steel and titanium clad machines.

I can get down with the idea, but does it have the situational/emergency type weapons to handle things in a instant?

nudoom will be remembered for longer than Doom 3 just because there's nothing else this good at being a PC benchmark as no one else even tries anymore. It will be the Crysis of its era.

People still mod DOOM3 to this day though, Crysis pretty much live on life support from modding too.

The robots are all slow. You need to manage your strategy, covers, and distance, not reflexes. Spamable grenades and rocket launcher are available if you want to take down anything real quick though.

Just look at the Zelda games, the newest one is always shit and the second newest one is the best in the series. It's cool to hate on Skyward Sword now, but when Breath of the Wild is out people will say it's shit and SS was much better.

I remember Doom 3 as being one of the biggest vidya disappointments of my generation, actually. I'm 38. We were all anticipating a Doom game and we got go slow monster closets with science plot men and darkness. We made fun of it for years as being a huge piece of shit. I don't know where this "it was a great game!" shit came from.

People don't hate Skyward Sword because it's 'cool,' they hate it because it's bad. And since we're on the subject, Twilight Princess is also bad. Your theory doesn't hold up very well.

Will it? I think Crysis still looks better than nudoom.

Was more of a techdemo really, shouldn't have been called DOOM either to be honest it's a decent game on it's own probably would even have worked fine on it's own with a few modification to further it from DOOM
Perfected DOOM3 does make it more enjoyable though.

Doesn't work at all with Zelda because OoT, MM, ALttP and (arguably) LADX exist and those have more than enough vocal fans to outclass pretty much anything else in the Zelda franchise.

It wasn't great. I played it on release and everyone agreed that it really wasn't what they were expecting. We were left wondering what the fuck happened. I actually dropped it after just a couple of hours, and I didn't touch it again until many years later. It still wasn't great, but I managed to stick through it. It's a good game, but like said, it was more about the tech than about being a sequel to Doom (damn you Carmack, you daft genius).

Fuck off.

Kill yourself.

But that's wrong.

Put some effort into your shitty trolling.

no one play edf so it is shit don't you know

Doom was always a meme game

The worst thing about Doom 3 is that it killed Quake 4. Doom 3 should've been that from the start, instead Q4 got a bad rep because everyone regarded it as "doom 3 with aliums" even though it did everything better and actually had a shock factor behind it (you know, that scene). also had serviceable multiplayer but I haven't tried it

Retards.

Q4 is a horrible ai-ridden, cut-scene, turret section disaster. Worse than Doom 3, and Doom 3's pretty shit.

Doom 4 was alright, enjoyable enough for a playthrough. D4D does Doom 4 better, however.

iDtech4 games all had issues and Q4 isn't much better than D3 and both of those are totally dwarfed by Prey

it didn't look slow in a good players hands. OP should record himself to give a good example of what he means, right now this is just vague criticism with no clear reason behind it. It can mean anything. Clunky is such a poorly defined term, it should cease to be used.

Holla Forums has this tendency to look favorably on earlier iterations of a game if the current one is shit. Also we probably have lots of users who were still shitting their pants when Doom 3 came out.

quake 4 was also a bad game due to some really mediocre enemy design, lackluster weapons and a crippled movement speed. The enemies lack a flinch state so they truly feel like damage sponges, making for some absolutely horrendous combat.

The aesthetic is also garbage. Quake was best with the twisted medieval/runic/eldritch aesthetic, and it's a shame they've never revisited it. Fortunately, Q1SP maps are made to this day and are as good if not better than the base game.

Quake 4 being a good game is almost as bad as people who say Quake 2 was a good game.

I kind of feel like people who might praise Doom 3 are just looking back on it fondly. I used to quite like it, until I had a better grasp on its context in the industry. At the time, I hadn't played anything like it, but it's worse than even its contemporaries. Many of the weapons feel pathetic, and many enemies are too easily dispatched, making encounters less about smart prioritization and more about quick kills and cover. Not interesting in the slightest. I think people with a fondness for the game may want to replay it, they might find it's nothing special in any way shortly into the game and drop it then and there, and apart from some visually cool Hell levels, they'll have experienced everything the game has to offer pretty early on.

I do think the atmosphere is pretty good, there are some nice touches like how the base progressively gets worse.

True. If you ignore that it's supposed to be a Doom game it can be alright. And it still looks surprisingly good even today.

I spent every moment of this game on the hardest difficulty on my first playthrough. (Thought I can't remember if there's a harder since I haven't had the time to replay it.) constantly running, dodging, RIPPING AND TEARING EVERYONE WITH HUGE GUTS. It was fun, it was good. More importantly, it was fast. If you think it was slow, it's probably because you're shit and have no idea how to go fast.

I actually can't even think of a moment in that game that felt slow, or didn't require me to constantly move and dodge, because 2 fucking shots from a Revenant will kill you.

Try playing it on the harder difficulties like you're supposed to.

DOOM 3 was an excellent game. It was just a poor DOOM game. It is one of the best atmospheric first person shooters in existence. The story is engaging. The environments are diverse and interesting. The descent into Hell feels real. Like you said, you watch the base slowly go from: oh shit, this part of the base just got fucked up by demons, to: HOLY FUCK THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE COMING IN FUCK FUCK FUCK. 2 HELL KNIGHTS, WHAT THE FUCK. I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MISSILES FOR THIS SHIT.

The lack of being able to hold a flashlight and gun at the same time was kind of shit, but if you figured out that shooting lights up an area, who gives a fuck, it was a well built horror, the node system was impressive for spawning and creating a constant pressure of threat, without having to throw the whole map at you, but they patched that with new versions, which allowed you to go fast. I spent 90% of DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil just running my ass off, spraying the shotgun like an absolute madman.

no, I don't care if it's a "doom" game. Doom games have almost always been diverse. Doom is nothing like Doom 2, Doom 2 is nothing like Doom 64. Doom fans are retarded and have this idiotic expectation of what muh tru doom is. Who cares, it's just a fucking name.

Independent of its name, it's not a good game. It's a boring, slow, flavorless shooter completely lacking in variety. 90% of the shooting scenarios will feel the same and the flash light swapping is a garbage idea. The game isn't worth wasting your time with.

the issue isn't gameplay but how limited and technically retarded it is compared to a classic game

there's more to Doom than ripping and tearing. you know, coop, multiplayer, mapping, modding, actual level design (opposed to monsters randomly spawning inside a huge empty room). stuff nuDoom doesn't have or in extremely limited way.

shut up you absurd retard. How was it excellent in any way?
sorry, have you ever heard of Doom 64? Quake? Much better. "atmospheric first person shooters." What a joke.
visually, yes, in terms of gameplay, no. It is mostly hallways, mild hub areas, and after the 4th stage, very, very similar metallic industrial interiors and sparse exteriors. Awful, boring, samey. Some early levels seemed to be slightly themed, but overall this was a failure because there are over a dozen levels that are entirely indistinguishable from one another. Diverse as in there's literally two different environments. 90% of the game is UAC base, 10% is hell. Hell looks nice, its a very animated locale, but it's the same game play given a different back drop. Trash.

"running your ass off" in doom 3 is moving slightly faster than walking speed and watching your pointless stamina bar drain and shooting the glowing monsters as they spawn in pathetically. You need to replay these games or get better context for shooters as a whole, because the way you talk about it makes me think it's one of the first shooters you've played in your life. That or you only play shooters because you have nothing else in your game library.

Did you by any chance do your first playthrough using the trent reznor sound pack?

The thing is that All the entries pre-3 play very similarly (yes-64/PSX DOOM are way more atmospheric and cinematic with that silky smooth 5fps) while 3 just goes full 2004 AAA shooter and uses plenty of things from other shooters from around that time especially HL2.

doom 3 predates hl2 and was its own thing at the time. I've played most of the major shooters of the time, HL2 is decent, Black is a great game, Halo 2 is far better and has far better enemy and level and weapon design than doom 3, Farcry has god awful enemy encounters and broken AI and unfun trigens that take the decent early game and make the entire experience just shit, painkiller is OK but gets boring half-way through any level, and there were far more interesting things being done with console focused third person shooters like psi-ops.

The pre-doom 3 entries play similarly but differ greatly on enemy placement, level design ideas (the ultimate doom's tightly knit, consistent levels blow the fuck out of doom 2's wide open spaces of nothing and seemingly randomly placed land marks. Doom 64 is a slower, more deliberately paced game with more quake influenced trap centric level design. This is how they differ and it is in very meaningful ways. The game have aesthetic similarities but the way they actually play is pretty significantly different.

never do that
never do that
yes
most definitely
you've never played doom 2 have you, kid?

Well that's one of the issues of playing a bunch of games at the same time and disregarding release order, still surprising how the two felt similar (movement, mechanics, problems that both game have etc) when I played them right after F.E.A.R which in retrospect wasn't a good idea at all, RoE just goes the extra mile in having the same things as hl2.

If there's one game I could never get into that would be the one, the rush everything or suffer through a shitty cover shooter thing just didn't click for me because neither way was any fun to me but one was at-least fast, I never got to play MP because I had a pirated version so I probably missed out

I totally disagree with everything in that statement, wouldn't surprise me that you got to play "that" version with the enemies shooting through walls and shit.

yes, this is the problem with version distributed, but I don't really care to experience an earlier version. Game on its own wasn't interesting enough to replay. I imagine a working intentionally version would be better, but not enough to interest me. I try to play meaningfully different games, cursor clicking on head games don't do much for me these days.

Halo 2 has an interesting flow in combat with highly varied and distinct enemies, and some pretty nice weapons design too. There's a great sense of flow in combat, breaking shields, taking out elites to have the grunts scatter, lots of great scenarios and although there is a sizable number of repeat environments, the enemy encounters are different in every single one giving way to unique game play scenarios.

Nigga, what?
D00T guy moves pretty fast, all things considered.

How is that different from original Doom? I don't recall it having different gameplay in hell.

each level had different game play ideas explored in it, different enemy layouts and elaborate enemy placement that provided meaningful and interesting challenges for the player. The game changed significantly as more demon types got introduced.

It also helps the game play itself was a lot more interesting than doom 3. So there was more possibilities to explore. What you said has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen posted so far.

Shame about FC1, it really is an acquired taste though if you "get it" it probably is amongst the best FPS because no other can make you feel that way (technically there's 2 that come close, Crysis which really is Far Cry with a dev sanctioned cheat mode or Chrome which is interesting to say the least not good but interesting) but if you don't it mostly becomes a cover shooter with broken stealth.

Yeah it it feels kinda wasted when most of the time grenades and melee are the only way you're not gonna get an extended cover firefight that's really not interesting (or in the case of legendary it's simply the only way to not die horribly unless snipers are involved.)
Same thing with weapon sure they're nice but 90% of the time I had two plasma rifles, not because I liked it but because that's what worked, at-least that's a change from CE where you ever only wanted a plasma pistol and something else that you're almost never gonna use.

I thought the campaign was great, it actually shocked me. Not perfect, but really enjoyed it. Multiplayer kind of sucks though. And sadly no proper mod support.

I don't care to talk about Farcry, but acknowledge you do have a point (the way I see it Farcry is a game where you are the prey, Crysis is a game where you make the enemies your prey. More interesting combat and set ups for that reason, more sandbox.)

You seem to have a misunderstanding of halo's base mechanics however, the energy weapons, shields, bullet weapons and flesh targets are what define the ebb and flow of combat. It's a really nice system that halo cd thought of, but halo 2 perfected. Gives combat a great flow once you understand the nuances, where bullets deal significantly more damage to flesh targets, which the majority of covenant are, the weaker enemies in particular. Elites throw a wrench into the situation and require you to prioritize on them, and they prioritize on you and practically hunt you with incredible precision and dedication. Great AI design there. You eliminate their shield and go in for the kill with a bullet weapon. The AI can also be stun locked with sequential fire, but you always need to be aware of your surroundings so you don't end up taking too much damage and getting yourself killed and wasting your resources.

There are other enemies too, which also play with this and provide interesting weak point oriented enemy design. Hunters are obvious, with their vulnerable backs, but jackals also have an energy shield or you can go for precise shots on the openings of the shield which have a very clearly defined hitbox. All these things combined with good enemy placement and some good level design makes for some tremendous game play, and Halo 2 is probably the peak of it in my experience. Dual wielding adds an entirely new and interesting dimension, combining lightly damaging energy weapons and light bullet weapons, or having two energy weapons to pound your enemies as hard as bullets would once the bullets are gone, all the better that the separate weapons rely on two different button presses to act, making it an integral part of combat to pick and choose which one to fight with.

There are problems and shortcomings with the games, absolutely, but there's a tremendous system at work here I never seen anyone discuss, and it gets ignored for cheap and boring, short-sighted criticisms of regenerating health and boring, over-discussed theories of how the games ruined muh games industry.

Yes I understand that but that doesn't stop grenades and melee from breaking both of those system with plasma grenade being instakills on anything short of a hunter and brutes(maybe even the top tier elites but I'm not sure) and melee being extremely powerful against absolutely everything
Also why I mentioned 1 having you carry a plasma pistol all the time it pretty much has only one purpose break shield and stun but in halo 2 grenades become more abundant and better allrounder weapons are available so you don't need a shield breaker as often since grenades do the job just fine and most of the other situation can be dealt dual plasma rifle which aren't the best against flesh but breaks shield fast and kill fast enough for that to not be a problem in some situations which allow you to manage your grenade usage and of course melee is as good as ever and with the sword it just gets absolutely ridiculous.

The system is neat but I can ignore it and get similar or better result with less efforts (yes it requires an higher basic FPS skills level but when you have that learning the meta just becomes bothersome for no real benefits) on my part so why bother?

A simple example, why isn't a plasma pistol + SMG dual wield more effective in any situation than just dual wielding plasma rifle, one plays off the system one totally and disregards it yet the later is simply more efficient and overall gives you more versatility.

And don't get me started on dual needlers the only reason it doesn't break the game even more is the lack of ammo and low versatility. but in levels where they ammo are abundant and the fight mostly close range there's pretty much nothing that can touch you

oh look another babby triggered with The Pit

you make fair criticisms at every point, and I don't really disagree with them. Although plasma grenades, apart from scenarios where you're attacking blind spots, most of the time, enemies will dodge grenades pretty well. I've only recently played the games on legendary, so my memory of them on that difficulty is clearer. Essentially enemies are far better and more consistent at dodging your grenades, and more often than not grenades serve to either take out emplacements, take out key targets, hope you can get a group of weaker enemies with a good grenade.

Mind you, I also played these games on the systems they were intended for, consoles, so there's firmer limitations on player performance and the game seems to be built more around this than the faster aiming you'd be getting on a PC.

I've often heard the intended difficulty, according to Bungie devs was Heroic, perhaps I should give it a try on that setting, and maybe you should too if you have not.

I think in the end, Halo 2's combat system has more interesting qualities going on in it that result in a more engaging and interesting flow of combat, something I find other shooters of the time (halo 2, doom 3, far cry) did not. While they all seemed to settle for a more stop-and-pop flow to combat, halo 2 had you popping out of cover, able to tank damage and give yourself opportunities to engage with a variety of interesting ways.

Also melee I didn't have a problem with it being powerful. I thought it was functional and was a pretty risky way to engage, so it was well balanced by being rather powerful.

Downtown is 100x worse. Not in terms of difficulty, but in terms of awful design.

circle of death and the crusher are pretty shitty too. They really toned down the interconnectivity of the levels in doom 2. I think this is where some people might get off on criticizing the ultimate doom as mazelike, you pass through the same areas a few times but briefly. The levels are also designed to have more distinct areas, although it's not perfect all the time.

I honestly feel like it wasn't worth the five dollars.

I'll get it when its 10 bucks.

I feel like the difficulty is buffed on PC because of that, at leat the jackal snipers lead me to believe there are subtle tweaks to reaction times.

Yeah that's what I played it on first, generally I just go for the highest unless I know it's a really bad idea and the explosive spam Halo CE gave you on Legendary was enough for me to decide against playing Halo2 on legendary to begin with.

But yeah looking back on it Halo 2 did a couple neat things like an asymmetrical PvE that doesn't rely on bullet sponges and a full dual wielding system that I haven't seen anywhere else since.

I don't know about that, they are absolutely absurd on consoles too. Another thing Bungie devs also commented on, saying something like "it had to be a one shot kill or else you weren't proving anything by beating legendary."

I do wonder if Halo 3/Reach flesh out the systems in 2. I do know they added new grenades, but I haven't played them yet, but I will once I get into the 360 scene.

Bethesda pretty much scrapped it because apparently the one by Id was actually another flavor of CoD.

Personally I got to play it through steam sharing and I'll go ahead and land a few thoughts into this subject

Personally I'll always go back to the original doom map packs/mods etc etc because this one literally doesn't have the opening it needs to have such a thing going for it for being modded (literally thanks consoles)

Now that being said this game was merely passable as a doom game (not multiplayer) in of the fact that the enemies were well designed and such, by far it did a better job at monsters and such than the original doom, but there's one major flaw with this however, you yourself move like a fucking snail, the only time you felt like you were going fast is when you got a haste power up.

Replayability is somewhat there, it's not exactly perfect but there's collectibles and secrets that may have yet been discovered and all that jazz, at least they got that right

And then finally (wrapping up singleplayer that is) is that you have to do a finisher on every monster to get a bonus, you can't just finish them off via shotgun at a range or machine gun to get a health boost, to add to this is that it's boring after seeing it many times, it got boring just as fast as brutal doom's gore/fatalities did if not faster, it's like having to watch a fucking cutscene or reload a fucking weapon, it slows down the pace and gives you invulnerability while preforming said stunts.

Now to the multiplayer that is "Doom" the only thing I can give it is that it finally introduced new weapons into the Deathmatch/competitive aspect of doom by having weapons outside of SSG be worth using, at the cost of lazy loadouts being there, aside from that (and loadouts sucking) it's not really what Doom's deathmatch was all about having weapons spread out and having chaos ensue, but then what also killed the original Doom's deathmatch design came along the SSG being the (oh how much hate using this term) "meta," by far no fucking deathmatch server or map pack starts with anything else but the SSG, and it goes for only having the SSG around spawn and turned it into a boring one dimensional game, Doom I's weapons had balance to them, Doom II's had it as well, but then add in the map making community giving people a SSG on start and that's when it got to levels of SSG autism

But anyway, let's move onto Snapmap, it's literally as it says it is, literally you are given legos to create maps, no more freelancing this shit, you're stuck to a predefined method of making a map, never mind being able to create, decorate, and build your map from the ground up. So yea, the snapmap is literally designed for a typical console user at this point

TL;DR game is worth maybe 15 dollars, 20 at most.

what if i like to just run around shooting things until they glow, and then melee them again to watch a movie and fully heal?

Kek.

id software

Um no, it was, did you not notice the complete lack of air control? Jumping is just straight line bullshit and the ledgegrabbing is horseshit. Painkiller had better movement than that.

eh you might have a point for the enemies but you're full of shit about the guns, the weapon models and sound effects are shit in nudoom and the guns are pretty uninspired, painkiller had awesome guns, very unique and unlike most other guns players had seen prior to it.

Shut the fuck up, replacing all the sprites with models wouldn't work in Doom's engine and the smoothing out of the animations is an objectively good thing.

You need to do that in doom and quake too fucktard

You're a moron.

just fine

I am consistently amazed with how conpletely shit some of your tastes are. Painkiller (original and first expansion) were fucking amazing. Level design, character design, skilled movement etc. were all top notch and blew us away at release. If you aren't garbage (as I assume you are) you can run around at tribes-like speeds while air turning through the void as long for as long as your brain can manage it. There are very few better FPS games ever made. If you don't like it, do not share your opinion on anything else as it is worthless.

you move faster, you are in an arena where you can actually move and aren't obstructed by enviroment geometry all the time.

q4 was actually better than d3.

Standards have lowered

Doom 3 was shit 10 years ago, but it's a great game by contemporary standards.

And here's why I fucking hate RE5 so much.

sounds like you should fill the room with explosions and stop being a little bitch

as a person that just played Doom 3 for the first time before this "Doom" that is a fucking lie

Doom 3 is dog shit that tries so hard to be half life even with the shitty tram rides.

Go back to reddit, buyfags

I think the serious Sam engine is very underrated and the corresponding guys are always overlooked when people talk about the innovations in game coding, people like Carmack for example.

The first game was released in 2001 for only 20$. It can render more than 100 enemies at the same time. Huge levels with no loading and very lightweight, even for 2001, just check the specs. They also released a test build with one level for free in 2000 in order to test all possible configurations, as they had only handful of PCs.

My stupid phone changed Croteam to that…