A plane-size asteroid buzzes by Earth undetected...

A plane-size asteroid buzzes by Earth undetected. A big space rock slipped right by us last week and was only spotted as it left our cosmic neighborhood
Astronomers first spotted an asteroid about as long as a 737 passenger jet on Sunday and analyzed its path to determine it had made a close pass by our planet three days earlier.

In other words, the big space rock slipped right by us without being detected and was only seen in our cosmic rear-view mirror.

While the asteroid, now named 2017 001, flew right on by without incident, it was a relatively close pass. It came within about one-third the distance between Earth and the moon, roughly 76,448 miles (123,031 km).

With an estimated size of between 82 and 256 feet (25 and 78 meters), it was around three times as big as the bolide that entered our atmosphere in 2013 and exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia, blowing out windows and causing numerous injuries on the ground. That house-size bit of cosmic debris also had been previously undetected.

archive.fo/MoIrl

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_event
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Had this fucker hit I hope some of you were ready to implement your DOTR plans

Proof that NASA is a money laundering operation and the moon landing never happened

So only 3.5x the distance to geosynchronous orbit. So not even remotely close or threatening. Gee.

Jet plane size is only a citykiller. It wouldn’t have done anything except send more of your tax dollars to niggers.

Reported. >>>/x/

Plane?

With luck it could have destroyed LA and triggered the fault line knocking california off the west coast. Two birds with one stone.

Literally the moment an iota of simultaneous international civil unrest is seen the action is fucking go

if there is a planetary impact you are going to see fault lines giving way and in all likelihood a dramatic increase in volcanic activity. The shockwave of a direct impact would travel through-out the planet.

These shits never hit Earth. The cosmos is a cocktease.

We've detonated plenty of city-killing sized nukes. No such volcano apocalypse.

No, you idiot.

woaaah
thats close

They knew but didnt say anything
Just like the last close one a few years ago

You have no idea. That's what my "Go" bag is for.

Not the same thing. Nukes explode in the air so that all of the energy is used wiping out a city. An impacting meteor transfers the majority of its energy to the ground.

the dumb is strong in you. A major impact event releases the energy of several million nuclear weapons detonating simultaneously, when an asteroid of only a few kilometers in diameter collides with a larger body such as the Earth

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_event

Checked asteroid trips

Please hit Africa next time.

Wow didn't know they were making planes this size of of an entire suburb.

Checked, hivemind bro.

Mind providing some numbers to back up your ass pulled claim? Lemme guess, geology and physics are kike scams, the true answer lies in some obscure 1000 year old prophecy.

Jesus, shit was unintelligible.

Reported for being a crazy, used up coal-burning slut.

That's too small to create an impact event. It would create an airburst and cause some property damage in the immediate area, but that's about it.

OP is a massive faggot and this is a slide thread.

how knowledgeable is Holla Forums on flat earth? It perfectly coincides with Hilters UFOs and his visits to the north pole, tibet, and the entrances to the center of the earth/ other earth.

Reported. >>>/x/

Sinead McCarthy go home.

Daily Reminder
Flat Earther's are a blight upon white nationalism and should always be discouraged.

forgot to sage. Probably why kek denied my get.

Cool. So about Bennu… who's going to weaponize it first?

Alternatively, you didn't get digits because you posted some retard shit picture that's simultaneously a shit normalfag meme and shilling disinformation.

That's actually tiny.

GOD LOVES OUR HATEFUL IGNORANT MALICIOUS ASSES, APPARENTLY

mass is more important, though

imagine that shit hitting the Kaaba

I don't know what is more terrifying.
The fact that people on Holla Forums believe this would be a world killer, or that they don't know/forgot about the Tunguska event.

Anyone else wishes it had fallen here?

even if it was made out of iron and nickel, a plane size asteroid isn't going to cause a global calamity.
Unless if it hit Yellowstone. Maybe.

What if it hits your mom

It would be extremely painful.

Yeah. i'd imagine an global economic destabilization + mass panic would be enough to encourage a few leaps off planet by the rich & famous.

BUT WHO IS GOING TO BENNU AND BACK Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

If you think that's bad just wait until Nibiru gets here. It collided with us once and that's where the mood came from. Plus if it doesn't collide with us then we all get enslaved by Annunaki. It's a lose/lose.

DON'T WANNA CLOSE MY EYES

oh shit, that's probably what the ship is called.
is The Fifth Element an over-dramatized version of this event? if so, well then.

It could have crashed into Tel Aviv with no survivors. What a waste.

Call me when they find that missing centaur.

When's the last time we had a cosmic impact happening?

For you.

what

We've detonated plenty of large nuclear warheads below ground and in the ocean (water is incompressible). Not all nuclear tests were atmospheric.

Are you stupid or something? Are you somehow under the impression that the only nukes ever detonated where those in Japan? Thousands of nuclear warheads have been detonated.

My comment is specifically in response to the idea of a city-killer impact:
Jet plane size is only a citykiller.
We've detonated plenty of city-killing sized nukes. No such volcano apocalypse.

A

Yes but at that size it will burn up. You need at least quarter mile long.

Are you fucking retarded

Imagine it hitting the Kaaba.

We'll just see about that. The situation is different this time around, and space kikes are going to get their shit pushed in by the tripartite souls that invaded this simulation if they try anything clever. I know this, because the Thule knows this

Fuck off to >>>/fringe/

To put some hard numbers to this, the Chelyabinsk meteor in Russia a few years was a 30km airburst of approximately 400-500 kilotons of TNT, less than half the maximum yield of a American B83 thermonuclear bomb. And a B83 certainly doesn't crack faultlines open around the planet.

Had it come in at a steeper angle and hit a city, that would qualify as a city killer.

Cheer up and rest assured this scenario happened in another time line.

ITT jew worshipping balltards brainwashed into believing they're monkeys

I figured someone would say that. The other difference between meteors and nuclear warheads is energy. A city-killing meteor does the same damage (or greater) than a nuke, despite impacting the ground, because it has much more energy.

Worth noting though that a city-killing impact is still not big enough to cause a volcanic apocalypse unless we get real shit luck and it hits yellowstone or something.

No numbnuts, Chelyabinsk had the energy of a city-killing nuke: The reason it didn't kill a city is because it didn't hit one.

The energy of that meteor was dwarfed by large nuclear warheads and other natural phenomena like Mt Saint Helens.

1995 SN55. It's 295 km in diameter and larger than Chariklo or Chiron and they fucking lost track of the damn thing. Which wouldn't be so bad except that centaurs are dynamically unstable. I'd just like them to find it again and any other such bodies before we end up with a second moon or worse.

Yeah? That's what I'm saying? Are you an idiot?
Chelyabinsk was not a city killing meteor because it was a kinetic impactor with only the energy of a city-killing nuke. It exploded into chunks midair and the vast majority of that energy was wasted. Nukes are vastly more efficient in regards to their energy vs. destructive potential than impact events. Do I really need to spell it out for you that superheating a shit ton of air into a massive shockwave is a more efficient way to demolish a city than smashing a rock into it?

No, Chelyabinsk wasn't a city killer because it came in at a shallow angle and missed a city.

That's precisely what happened to all the kinetic energy of Chelyabinsk you brainlet. The shock-wave it caused is what created all the damage, not falling rocks. Jesus christ you're thick.

immediately after the energy is transferred to the ground you see the giant dust clouds. think chicxulub impact.

is there any chance of it becoming another satellite to earth?

Posts like this are the reason I have a love/hate relationship with Holla Forums.

As a first-degree approximation, Newton's equations on this have the impact or losing all of its energy (picked up from falling into Earth's gravity well) when it has pushed aside or accelerated to its own velocity a mass of air equal to itself.

In other words, an impacting meteoroid will accelerate toward Earth through a near-vacuum at 10mps^2, slowing as it encounters the atmosphere. As it does is, its kinetic energy will transfer to the air around and in front of it. Some energy will be spent compressing (and therefore heating) the air in front, while the rest bleeds out from drag friction and incidental heating.

When the impact or has transferred to the air a volume of energy equal to its inertia, it will have nothing left to whack the ground with. Picture the column of air in front of a streaking meteor – if it's a little one, that column of air has enough mass to use up all its energy. If it's a biggie, no amount of air will be enough, and you've got a hit.

In practice, this means that 25 meters across is the minimum size for something that may reach the ground. That's why our planet doesn't have any 100-foot-wide craters – the meteoroids small enough to do those all burn up on the way in. Over 25 meters, on the other hand, and you've got potential to hit. More likely, it would explode as the stress on it from braking became too severe. This usually happens at the tropopause, roughly 27,000 feet up, below which is half of the atmosphere Earth has. It's a rough transition, and most imp actors hit it like a body falling off a bridge into the water.

Reminder: kilometer-sized 99942Apophis is scheduled to impact Northern Europe in 2036 unless we divert it.
NASA is in official denial, and have falsified information to make sure no one cares. (((They))) will allow it to happen.
The Russians and Chinese are both taking this threat seriously.

Autocorrect has a Jewish sense of humor.

Go back to cuckchan.

I read more about it. 500 Kilotons was the equivalent blast yield of the explosion, 19 miles up. So, it would be inaccurate to say that it "missed." Also, I was under the impression that 500 kilotons was the energy of the meteor before it exploded, which isn't quite the same thing.

If you recall, my original post was directed at someone saying that a city-killing asteroid would cause very little seismic activity because "we've detonated plenty of city-killing nukes." To which you replied that "we've detonated plenty of nukes underground."

My point is that a meteor needs significantly more energy than a nuke to be classified as "city-killing." Partially because generating a shockwave by embedding itself into the earth is a much more lossy process than detonating a huge bomb a thousand feet or so in the air. Then, partially because you need a meteor of sufficient mass (a bit bigger than the Chelyabinsk one) for it to actually hit the ground, which means more impact energy. You could make the argument that if you had a meteor very slightly larger than Chelyabinsk or if it came down at a steeper angle and airbursted right over the town then it would definitely be a city-killer but that isn't really what this conversation is about since an airburst is definitely not going to cause as much geological activity as an impact.

So, regarding impacting meteors, one that manages to hit the ground is likely going to release at least a few megatons of energy directly into the earth. On the lower end, would this cause any significant geological activity? Maybe, but probably not. That wasn't my point though. My point was that the way the energy is transferred from the meteor versus a bomb is different enough that you shouldn't compare the two directly.

It's literally not, since there's no way for us to know the path of bodies with any accuracy that far out, you stupid fucking hoaxing faggot.

Please hit Swedenm 99942Apophis-chan.

Said the kikes, nervously chuckling as they moved their baggage back out of their underground bunkers.

It's a shame that we can't build a micronation on that plane-size asteroid.

Nah, hes a Dis-Info Shill. Nukes Fag pops up every once in awhile.

One that size is going to hit us in the lifetime of some of us. I'm oldfag, so probably not me.

Wake me when there's something that can wipe out Israel.

It's a matter of how much is left after burning up in the atmosphere.

Too bad it missed commiefornia

You may have misread the word as planet instead of plane.

Well, that's concerning.

Fucking space rock migrants trying to jump our space borders.

Dyslexia is a hell of a drug

If it hit europe the white race is fucked, if it hits israel id be so happy, if it hits africa europe is even more fucked.

please Kek let an asteroid hit israel.

same here

All of the most (((BASED))) right-wingers know that nukes are a Jewish hoax.

That will allow the whole world to mend the problems with in their countries.

I bet they detected it, they were just praying to their kike god that it would hit Europe.

Fucking this. There is not a measuring device in existence that can make such a precise claim with any degree of certainty. The gazillion perturbing objects don'y help either.

Techno-environmental benevolent fascism when? Otherwise our entire species will go extinct. Thanks kikes.

I am so ashamed that we missed it otherwise we would have keep the rock close in order to mine it or turn into a micronation.

You dun diddly goofed, nigger.
Most asteroids hitting earth do so in some manner of highly elliptical orbit, with relative velocities in the dozens of km/s. The earth contributes but not in the way you seem to think it does. Forget middle school physics and pick up an astrodynamics textbook, faggot. Look up the inverse square law first, though.

This. They knew but never alerted the populace because it wouldn't matter.

For me it matter a lot to me.

were the big one to hit I'd personally make certain the word of God was not lost.

nukes don't exist bro