Super paper mario

remember this game? I remember thinking it was the worst thing that could ever happen to paper mario and refusing to play it for years, only to finally have a chance to play it a few years later and loving it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ofr1tYHdORo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I remember a time when this was the "worst" one and proof that the series was excellent across the board. Then Sticker Star happened… And Color Splash looks no better.

It was a good game, but wasnt really paper mario. I miss complaining about it though

Maybe combat wise but in every other way it was infinitely more Paper Mario than Sticker Star and Color Splash.

Yeah, it's a pretty decent game. It's not like the first ones, but it's still pretty fun.

I wish they didn't make the characters, (like the NPCs or partners), look so bland. Also, the 3D mechanic was sorta eh. But overall, it was a really enjoyable experience.

It also contains one of my favorite video game songs.
youtube.com/watch?v=ofr1tYHdORo

It was a lot of fun. I don't know why anyone ever complained. They should make a sequel.

Don't forget the final boss theme

I hate this when this happen when people first play the game and their expectations go down then revisit it years later and say its a god send. Fuck those people. Super paper Mario was great from the start of the adventure

I don't get why anyone liked it. It tried to mix being a platformer with being an RPG but wasn't good at either.

Super Paper Mario is pretty good as a game (and I honestly liked the take on a Mario game trying to have a darker than average story), but I can easily see why people that wanted and expected more of the TTYD style gameplay would be heavily disappointed in it.

I suppose it might help that a friend that was into the series and let me play it did tell me in advance that it was pretty different, so I went in with a better idea of what to expect.

>Play Super Paper Mario, absolutely love it, as do my friends

It was pretty fucking clear that it wouldn't be thousand year door style just looking at screenshots even back when it was still a gamecube game, people shouldn't have been surprised at all. Good Paper Mario post Super never ever

I was going to say just Holla Forums, but nah this applies to most idiots that open their mouths. But what else is new?

Everyone fucking hated GTA IV back in the day because it wasn't San Andreas, then V came out and people were sucking IV's dick like it was the greatest game ever. The difference is that IV still sucks.

what are you talking about
there was no paper mario after super
Series is great across the board, even at it's lowest.

Yep, pretty neat. I remember hating it when I rented it on release, bought it a few years later and liked it a lot more.

You don't get sent down to the underworld and fight your way back up to paradise with a Monster Quest parody along the way in normal Mario games.

i would a mimi, so hard

Heaven and Hell also aren't underwear jokes in normal Mario games

My childhood friend bought this in perfect condition and ultimately gave it to me for free because his eyes literally couldn't handle switching between 2D and 3D without straining.

Crazy how you wind up with a game sometimes, don't you think?

No user, I wasn't a retarded cunt like you and I didn't buy it "years later" but a few weeks after release.

Hindsight 20/20 I suppose. Looking back, it certainly wasn't a traditional paper mario game, but it had more of the essence of a Paper Mario game.

One of the best way to look at video game franchises is from the perspective of Accident and Essence. I would argue that having a franchise name or brand image is not of Essence, but of Accident.
The fact that sticker star, color splash and Super all have the character Paper Mario and take place in a paper world are accident and not essential to the game.
One could go even further and argue that the Paper Mario games contain the essence of Super Mario RPG, and this is the essence that makes them good.
But what is it that makes Super Mario RPG what it is?

meme magic

That's strange, doesn't the game stop to move the camera to switch back and forth? That bothered his eyes?

I forget many things but I still remember very clearly Mimi talking in the third person about how she deserved a spanking for screwing up while playing her maid charade. A series of lines and squares should not do that to my dick.

I still get sad thinking about the lead-up to Luvbi's death to give you that pure heart or whatever. The gameplay and environments were generally between shitty to eye-rollingly boring but the game overall had it's merits. Sticker Star fucked a good a lot up overall but it isn't even the gameplay that's the biggest problem, it's the loss of the magic in the storytelling and characters.

Sounds pretty straightforward to me. Still sucks for your friend though.

elaborate please. What does meme magic have to do with this?

you did steal the rubees instead of working for them, right user?

The brand does help pretty significantly though. People know Mario and actually want more Mario (at least back in the SNES/N64 days this was still largely true) but it's a love of the established characters already even is there's very little actual character to them. -but then Mario gets RPG games and these already liked characters become outright endearing when placing them within a narrative.

We all know Miyamoto is afraid of what people do to his baby (and afraid of big plots) and we all get upset with him for not realizing how Mario has grown too big to just be for his vision alone but at the same time let's compare Mario to his old competition Sonic. People have a mixed opinion of the gameplay of either the classic 2D or the Adventures games but what anyone can agree with is that Adventure 2's plot was a clusterfuck and the tone shifted to something rather over-the-top and dark and things got out of hand altogether. Sure Paper Mario is it's own thing, Mario and Sonic are very different in how they've been handled and there's other factors that make this all not so simple but I try not to blame him for his bullshit. -not that it's entirely his fault (probably), he produces this new series when I imagine nobody else was going to and Nintendo is pretty fucked nowadays overall. Still, Nintendo could probably do with less of his influence and bringing in new talent.

This was my first Paper Mario, I wasn't aware of the controversy of it's choices or much about the Paper Mario series at all and I loved it.

Years later when I played TTYD, I liked TTYD more though.

A favor?

favor? i want to plow a shapeshifting loli

Whatever happened to that fan Paper Mario game anons here proposed? (And that picture of "Peter Piper")
Or was that taken over by the Wario Bros idea?

I thoroughly enjoyed this game, although that may be simple nostalgia. The art style and soundtrack always bring back memories. Every level/world had a unique theme with their own anecdotes. The plot was surprisingly elaborate and grim for a Mario title, but somehow fit perfectly for me.

Is there a way to play this game, along with TTYD on pc?

There is no such thing as the Zelda cycle, just games that get worse each new sequel. It's also why girls always have a token ugly friend in the group. You end up comparing them to that friend so they look better than they really are.

There are many people here that would argue that it was one of the better attempt at creating a darker than average Sonic story. At least it wasn't as pretentious as 06 and Shadow. Goes to show that not a lot of people can agree about Sonic. Or at least they're giving some games (except for 06 and Shadow) too much harsh criticism just because of an unfamiliar factor.

Super Paper Mario didn't play like the other paper mario games,but I'll be damned if it didn't have the same charm that the original two did.

I played it the day it came out.
Moat of the people that didn't give it a chance were fat hipsters with faggy thick glasses and pony tails obsessing over how uncool they would look online.

I'm pretty sure stealing is the only way to get passed that part.
Otherwise the interest just keeps building up.

I thought this game was awful and sign of the beginning of the end. I bought it on release, played it from beginning to end and immediately sold it. One of the worst Mario games I've ever played.

I haven't touched sticker star or anything else, if any, that's followed.
Without

a paper mario fan game?
a paper fan? ahaha ahahahaha

Dolphin emulator is pretty popular.

I was like 16 when I played it at release.
I enjoyed it, but nothing about it was special or very entertaining.
The only thing I really liked was that challenge dungeon.
The characters and story were bland and not enjoyable, except for Francis.

Also, I never played any other Paper Mario games.

well that may explain the rest of your god awful taste