Beowulf (2007)

Why did people hate this movie again? The CGI was actually pretty fantastic at the time and has held up great and the plot was actually well-written. As far as Beowulf adaptions go, it might not be the most faithful but it was a really good movie in its own right.

Did normies and critics just not get it?

Other urls found in this thread:

mralbertsclass.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/beowulf-translation-by-seamus-heaney.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Never seen it but the cgi doesnt look like it's held up

It came out at the time when audiences were getting fed up with conspicuous CGI but hadn't yet become completely braindead.

Yeah, the CGI isn't the greatest but I do agree that the story is pretty good.

I would have prefered a more faithful adaptation.

It looks like a PS2 cutscene

It was good for the tits but a little plain and boring on itself.

The CGI looked like garbage even back then.

This. It was firmly nestled deep in the sweaty crack of the uncanny valley. People didn't like it because it was completely unnecessary and ruined the suspension of disbelief because every second of the film you were reminded that nothing on screen was real.

I didn't really find the CGI to be all that bad. The movie as a whole is a good take on the story, it is a loose adaptation but not that loose. The ending confused me though, what exactly was Wiglaf doing challenging Mrs. Smith to a staredown?

movie about white supremacist nazi mythology, aka. bullshit

It was the first 3d film in theaters and started the 3d film fad that lasted a little while. I remember the cg looking terrible. Seeing 3d cinema for the first time outside of disneyland was cool though.

It looked impressive 10 years ago

It was a pretty decent movie with an interesting idea or two. My only issues with it are that the CG approach was unnecessary and the Grendel design was total ass.

So did Beowulf really make his feats up or not? Why again did he just decided to settle in some random castle? It had like 50 people and like 5 houses right? Not really a kingdom imo.

in the movie he inherits the dane "kingdom" despite being a geat

in the book he goes back home and rules his entire home country

What's the best version of Beowulf to read and is it available for epub/pdf?

mralbertsclass.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/beowulf-translation-by-seamus-heaney.pdf

yes

My favorite Beowulf adaptation is "Beowulf & Grendel" from 2005.

Post the other girl with the big tits… I tried to look up that actress but I couldn't find nothing on her

Because Grendel looked like a faggot in that movie.

Because it sucked.

It wasn't accurate in the least to the original. Looks have nothing to do with it. For whatever reason, we've never seen an accurate adaptation of the Beowulf story. The closest I can remember is a Sci-Fi channel original that combined Grendel's Mother and the Dragon into one - and as you can clearly see, that's not exactly accurate.

Fuck Hollywood. I want a real Beowulf movie.

It's called The 13th Warrior and it came out in 1998.

so red pill me on Beowulf since I've never read the poem.

Honestly? Most audiences thought it was a live-action movie. Hell, that cgi looked so damn good back in 2007, that watchig the commercials, even I thought it was live-action. Once it was found to be cgi, audeinces felt duped.

It didnt help at all that the presentation is really cut and dry, which is pretty terrible for viking mythology. I personally also felt that it, while it looked pretty for its time, didnt really do much with the fact that it was a cgi movie. Most action scenes could of been done live-action with a bit of cgi and greenscreen.

Is this what it's like to be a retard?

The cgi wasnt the point. It was the very first movie in refular cinema outside amusement parks where you could wear 3d glasses.

I remember liking it but I didn't quite understand why Beowulf became depressed after finding out he fucked Angelina's monstersnatch.

The dragon and the dragon fight looked cool.

Also this song was fun.

Pretty sure meant the Lambert post-apocalypse Beowulf kino. 13th Warrior was based on a Crichton novel, I think.

Beowulf started hating himself because he felt like he betrayed his honor by fucking the Joliemonster. Killing his dragon monster son was his way of atoning for that sin.

An accurate adaption would be nothing but a 2 hour action-fest on par with Bayformers. You'd be bored out of your fucking mind.

I remember watching this. What a weird adaptation.

Do you mean the maid servant who was scrubbing the table while making sounds filled with innuendo? That one was played by the director's wife.

I liked Beowulf's own rendition of the "I AM VENGEANCE, I AM THE NIGHT…!" Batman speech after he kicks Grendel's ass. It's just so ridiculously over-the-top and cheesy yet Ray Winstone manages to sell it as totally badass. Then you have Alan Silvestri's music hitting macho overdrive every two minutes and it's some of the most enjoyable two hours of pure, undiluted action bullshit I've ever seen.

Neil Gaiman knew exactly what he was doing with this movie.

You can't adapt a long alliteration poem into a film accurately in any way, the structure is heavily based on written language.

I found it amusing that Hrothgar's son looked like an abortion while Beowulf's son looked Chad asf and was also a dragon.

/thread

The closest adaptation was Beowulf & Grendel, though even that strayed from the original. Plus Sarah Polley's accent was jarring.

Beowulf, greatest warrior of the Geats, sails to Scandanavia to help King Hrothgar. Ever since he built his swank drinking hall it's been attacked regularly by a monstrous figure called Grendel, who murders Hrothgar's men. Beowulf proves to be the only man who can take on Grendel in a fight. First he maims the beast by tearing its arm off; then he follows the blood trail to a murky lake. Beowulf dives in and faces Grendel's mom, who's also a heinous monster. After killing her, he returns to the surface where he's hailed as a hero before sailing home to become king of the Geats. Later in life, when he's an old man, Beowulf has to be a hero again when his land is threatened by a dragon, so he rides off to do battle with that monster.

Well yeah, it was adapted by Neil Gaiman and Roger Avery.

When I was in school, in some english class there was a lecture about writing about beowulf and his confrontation with the dragon. We didn't read about it so we had to write up our own version. So i wrote the whole thing, leading up to his battle then the battle itself with beowulf being on the backfoot. I wrote about this one golden opportunity for beowulf to kill the dragon. He went for it, but he failed. The dragon caught him, killed him and then killed everyone in his kingdom. I wrote it that way because I wanted to give a bad ending, since up to that point everyone, me included, would write a happy ending. The teacher corrected my work and the one remark she wrote was 'should write a happier ending'. Was annoyed at that since that was the one thing i didn't want to do, and I didn't see what was wrong in writing a totally bad ending like that.

/blogpost

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a bad ending, though in a serious writing project it should probably happen for some reason. You could say that one purpose of an epic like Beowulf is to inspire people and so the hero should triumph, but then I think of Gilgamesh and how that hero comes to realize that ultimately he's going to die just like everybody else, which is kind of a downer. "Should write a happier ending" isn't a helpful critique. Your teacher should've given you better feedback.

LOOK AT YOURSELF.
LOOK AT THE THINGS YOU ARE TYPING.

I think it was supposed to represent their respective characteristics - Hrothgar is a fat, drunken sloth while Beowulf is a strong, noble hero.

Teachers are pieces of shit who don't know anything.

Did they? I thought it was pretty good. One of the better CG films in a while. I think it had no real reason to be in CG, but it still worked out pretty well.

I think people are so inured to Disney/Pixar crap that they probably just assume anything fully animated has to be light-hearted.

That forced perspective on the spear edge just for the sake of threedee is pretty awful. I don't remember anything else that bad in the movie.

The one thing that annoyed me was the censorship of nudity. It felt comical and cartoony yet the film wants us to take it seriously.

I remember really enjoying this when it first came out, though the plot twist surprised me. Awesome action. It's probably due for a rewatch.

Your teacher sounded like a fucking bitch. Goddamn.