Is shadow warrior any good Holla Forums ?

Is shadow warrior any good Holla Forums ?

i enjoyed it and found it fun

Couldn't play the reboot. Too much shaky cam and view bob. It gave me motion sickness.

It really isn't. Even basic stylistic choices are blunders. For example, he's no longer a gruff voiced Japanese caricature. He's a weasley sounding chinese man.

The shooting mechanics are not as fun as the original shadow warrior. And there's lots of superfluous shit like power ups and leveling skills that really hurt the experience in the name of slaving itself to modern conventions.

Please go play the original shadow warrior or blood. Eduke32 is really awesome as well.

It's really repetitive, the level design is terrible, the gimmicky mechanics are shit, the designs for pretty much everything are shit, the music is shit and the story is shit although with slightly more depth than you'd think.

I really hated the gunplay and the Katana felt like the only good weapon, except spamming the three/four attacks it had got old fast so I didn't finish it.

I agree

Its a game that I've found is pretty much a love it/hate it kind of thing. Its decent enough with some really satisfying swordplay and a meaty enough challenge, but the enemies all look the same, the weapons are pretty hit and miss outside of the sword, the game really suffers from having way too many upgrades (they seriously have 3 fucking different upgrade systems), and the story is pretty forgettable and ass, but its definitely got a lot of charm to it that shooters are seriously lacking these days. I've seen most people here either really like it or really hate it so its pretty much something you'll need to find out yourself. I found it pretty fun and was smiling most of the time, but it was definitely a flawed game. Hopefully the sequel fixes these problems.

Its closest to Serious Sam-esque shooters, fairly linear with gauntlets of monsters coming at you. The combat is fun enough since stuff like getting health in midfight is tied to doing special moves with the sword or magic stuff.

Is it super eastern inspired?

I never could get into those kinda games, but I usually don't deny that they're good games.

Not really. It kinda pokes fun at this in the beginning, but despite the environments being sorta Japanese, they're really interchangeable since you'd have to look really close in some areas to tell.

Maybe I'll check it out then

Nah, its not too heavy on being "eastern", at its most eastern you go around in cool looking temples at the top of mountains but thats pretty much it.

Can't say I liked it. Too much shit on top of the shootan and the shootan isn't that good anyway.

The biggest flaw is the upgrade system, because of it all guns feel really, really shitty until you upgrade them to the max(and you can only upgrade like 3 to the max per playthrough)
It'd have been way better if all guns were max upgraded from start.
The other upgrades(Katana and Passives) were also shitty, but they didn't detract much from the game, what really hurt it was the weapons.

I liked it a lot
It was basically Red Steel but an actual game

It's got a fair share of flaws and the enemy placement can be pretty dogshit at times, but it's still a fun, visceral, beautiful looking game.

It's got a weak chinese mythology basis, mostly as a way to justify Wang.

Anyway, the game is pretty rad

There is a focus on katana combos, so I hope you like melee based first person combat. Gunplay is alright as long as you upgrade and use the crossbow and rocket launcher ASAP, the other guns are peashooters, specially on higher difficulties.

The story is pretty well fucking done and most people criticising it either have shit taste or haven't seen the ending. Hoji and Lo Wang are fun have good chemistry together and are miles better than the awful original Wang.

Graphics are pretty good and can run on a toaster.

The negatives would be level design, shitty noob trap upgrades and weapons that can handicap you if you don't pick the right ones and an annoying feature where you get instakilled if you dash down any slope or stairs.

Nigger it's a 20 hour long FPS what the fuck do you expect. Go play Life is Strange if blasting demons is boring for you.

I think this really sums up the game. I played it and enjoyed it, but there are certainly flaws that make me never want to touch it again. It was tedious, level design was annoying as fuck, having big areas and long walkways with no payoff whatsoever, and like user said, a lot of superfluous crap that nobody would bother using.

It's a decent game at best, but it still has glaring flaws that make it one of the few game I refuse to replay.

As someone who's finished the game several times, the ending was pretty shitty. I will admit that Hoji and Wang are a pretty fun duo together but the ending kinda felt like a quick turn to edgy town.

I got to play shadow warrior 2 recently. Pretty fun

I kinda liked it, though the connection to the original Shadow Warrior is debatable at best - doubly so because, unlike in the original, the Sword is not so much an alternate mode opposed to the ranged weapon, but superior to them in almost all situations.

I'm also annoyed over the fact that they didn't do more stuff with the Whisperers. Really liked their design.

The game is gorgeous, the combat fast and variable, the progression a bit too slow but it never stops from being entertaining. The writing is comedy gold, you have everything from wang jokes to ancient mythological conspiracies, and it feels wholesome. Dat fucking ending.
10/10 best comeback, superb game, would fuck again.

[spoiler]Hard reset Redux any good?

Jedi Outcast is a much better sword-and-guns game.

I don't want to shill this game any further, but may I suggest that maybe not having much to do with the original is for the best? Noone liked the original back in the day, fags always mention Shadow Warrior along with Duke Nukem but almost noone played or was a fan of SW.

I think it rounded the story pretty nicely. The beginning of the game with the bad guy's speech was kind of already warning you of the game's hidden edge.

I really liked how it goes from being a buddy movie with Hoji being a total shitlord to something darker and more tragic, but to each their own.

Get both versions for 3 bucks and play the old one.

The story is edgy shit from beginning to end, the gunplay is pretty cool though, hope you liked SW giant armor bosses because Hard Reset is Bullet-Sponge: The Legend: The Game.

Don't expect anything like SW though. The only thing they have in common is an upgrade system designed as a giant noob trap to make you choose shitty upgrades to spend your points on.

There is no gore, only giant robots, but shooting rockets and rail-guns and watching the explosions can get you a similar high to SW.

The protagonist and his Hoji aren't particularly charismatic or memorable and are stuck in a story that doesn't make sense.

The remastered edition is the exactly the same game, much easier, more boring, with worse graphics.

It's alright. I liked it enough to 100% it, I would say for 3€ is totally worth it. Just have in mind SW is basically everything Hard Reset wish it would be.

the bad:

the good:
dunno, didn't find anything, play a good game instead.

yes I think theres got to be more discussion on this. The upgrade system was forced and acted as a shallow skinnerbox to bait the player into playing more and worked to the games detriment. The upgrades are also especially shitty +15% more damage tier upgrades and serves to make the upgrades incredibly uninteresting.

proof that only the mentally handicapped can enjoy this turd of a game

I cant even…