Hey Holla Forums! I wanted to discuss Everquest and why it doesnt get mentioned often here when talking about great...

Hey Holla Forums! I wanted to discuss Everquest and why it doesnt get mentioned often here when talking about great MMOs? To me, it's the closest to the perfect MMO we've ever gotten. Haven't played in years, is Project 99 still active? Was EQ 2 any good? Never got to play it for longer than a few mins.

I played p99 hardcore for awhile and quit about a year ago. I wasn't really interested in the choice between either farming to pay an epic guild for my epic or having to be on call (*literally on call they want your cell phone number) so that can log in if a boss spawns.

Never played Everquest anything.
The most important question - what kind of combat does it have?

I remember watching my dad while he played it when it was still new. He had a Necromancer and a Monk character and he made me do the boring bits like farming for items for his trade skills.

The best MMOs ever were Dark Age of Camelot and Star Wars Galaxies (jump to Lightspeed and earlier, none of that NGE bullshit).
City of Heroes gets an honorable mention for having one of the best communities an MMO has ever had, even if the game itself was rather simplistic.

Everquest, on the other hand, was basically the blueprint that was streamlined and distilled down to make the worst MMO ever to taint the internet - World of Warcraft.
I don't blame EQ for that, but the game itself was never that fun to begin with, and easily outshined by its competitors of the day. Even Vanguard Sage of Heroes was better.
I did fap relentlessly to that big titty Vannah White elf in your OP, though. That's probably the nicest thing I can really say about EQ.

The users here are far too young plus their brains associate MMO's with WoW instead of EQ/Meridian59/TheRealm.

People who are older than me will think I'm a pleb for starting with EQ/Meridian/TheRealm and not a MUD.

stop shilling

EQ was shit. WoW is an EQ Clone.

UO was the truest MMO to have ever existed.

EQ2 Is a WoWclone, because they wanted the WoW audience so its event Less EQ than WoW.

EQ isn't shit at all and WoW isn't exactly an EQ clone at all. In EQ you need to constantly respect the environment. Not so in WoW. This creates a completely different relationship with the world. No constant quests either.

That being said, UO is still the best and nobody has ever even come close to making a game that good.

World of Fishing is the best MMORPG of all time and you need to apologize to Ikatere for your heresy

EVE Online is better than EQ ever was.

Your a faggot, son.

WoW didn't orginally have many quests.
EQ2 is filled with quests mimicking WoW which now has a shit tonne of arbitrary mindless quests.

That's not exactly a man-jaw, but it is ugly.

Compared to EQ it was an ocean of quests. Orc starting area had at least 5 quests. Massive amount of quests in comparison. Colossal. And the ! pointing you to quest givers only made it feel less like a world if that was possible.

EQ2 is utter shit.

there used to be P99 threads but I'm gonna take a wager that the server turned into cult of personality with rules that are only enforced on those that don't suck admin cock.

Vanguard came out 8 years after EQ you dolt. even directed by the same lead developer.

I don't know, user. I think you have some creepy jaw fetish.

And it was a far better game, even though it failed miserably.
Everquest is overrated in every possible sense.

Remember Everquest Next? That was a good one.

The user base's first MMO was WoW.

EQ isn't discussed here because most anons were in diapers when it was at its peak.

It's a DikuMUD with graphics, that's the other reason.

I do miss the Enchanter class, other than City of Heroes (mentioned earlier) EQ was one of the only games where a dedicated crowd control class was fun to play.

I played on P99 for awhile. Got a shaman to 60 and joined Forsaken ( not Aftermath I think) but the end-game bored me to death. The two big guilds have the end-game dungeons (ToV, velious content) on lockdown.

The way the raiding works is you have one guy (FTE, first to engage) sit at the entrance of the zone, and a guy (usually a mage, for Call of the Hero) who sits and watches spawn point. Due to the variation in spawns (usually 16 hours) you have this dude sitting there waiting until it spawns, and when the mob spawns he COTH's the FTE to engage the target. Meanwhile, you have separate people grab all of the other mobs between the mob that just spawned and the entrance of the zone and drag them elsewhere. That way, the FTE guy can drag the mob to the entrance to be killed by himself without any adds.

In other words, you have dudes poopsocking 24/7 and you never have to fight your way to a mob, they just bring the mob to the entrance. Bam, done in 20 mins max.

Whenever the target spawns, they send out a 'batphone' on twitter so people can log in at the entrance to kill the mob. You get awarded DKP type points for response( didn't get the engagement, the other guild did), kill, or attempt. The problem that I found is that in order to score the big points you need to be one of the dudes that sit there for hours watching for this mob to pop, or the FTE guy who waits at the entrance.

tl;dr: fuck the end-game raid system of everquest. The journey to max level is fun, but not the end-game. Same goes for WoW, thanks to fucking Tigole/fuhrer propagating this game model. DAoC had a way better end-game with realm VS realm.

Mine was actually 2moons.

EQ2 went through 5+ revisions to be playable for the first few minutes (that beginner island was revised, like, 9 times). The game still looks like an ugly mess even with the best graphics card.

im sure Runescape was most ppls first MMO

I play it on Project99 because it's the only MMO that runs alright on toasters and doesn't have a unskippable 18 hour tutorial.

Phinigel TLP server on live is pretty fun, if your bored of p99. I'm raiding there atm with all content cleared, waiting for luclin. If your not complete shit you won't have to pay either after first month using kronos.

Top Fucking Kekold

You haven't missed much, believe me. Text only environments suck ass.

I'm hoping Gloria Victis will be the new DAoC.

The game itself was pretty bad. It was held up entirely by the quality of its players.
Such a community will never exist again until we discover some way to reverse what happened in 2007.

i love the music in everquest. but im not much of an mmo person. i rememer the game boring me to tears, but i always enjoyed watching my cousins play it

Look ere' newfag.

MUDS took DnD from dice rolls and autistic table meetings at the local library and put it online for 24/7 consumption.

You can't even imagine (apparently) how big of an improvement that was.

sucking less doesnt mean its good

A lot was missed if you missed the days of dikumud, back when the mudding community was the best goddamn gaming community there was and before the social moo plague.
There was a lot I'm glad was left behind, though. Like raid bosses that could burn your inventory. It's hard to give you perspective on the level of risk involved with that, maybe imagine if all the top raiders on your WoW server got their characters deleted midway into an expansion. See also: corpse recovery.

Pls respond

Everquest combat is very simple.

Warriors stand close and type "Key" to turn on attack. After that they start mashing taunt and kick.Rogues and monks stand behind warriors and mash dps keys trying not to out taunt the warrior. Regular combat is auto, if your close enough and facing the mob you might hit it.

First and only. Still the best

EVE is completely focused on the social aspect, there is absolutely no fun to be had in this game if you dont engage with other people in some way or another.

This is the very reason you will never ever have a discussion on Holla Forums about it.

I wish I would have never started my corp. Now I have to keep two POSs running and deal with so much bullshit the game stopped being fun and became a job. :,(

I still detest NCSoft for joining the wow-killer hype train and killing CoX's pop back in i13. The success of wow drove most every Devon and publisher insane during that period. It was around the time that Age of Conan came out too. The FPS equivalent was the Halo-killer.

I still miss my Ice/Therm Corrupter. I tried logging on for its last day, but I was too late and will never get to see my characters again.

no faith in camelot unchained?

Aslo, EQ a shit

i miss that game so much…

I know its still up, but its not the same any more..

Problem of EVE that it's entirely PvP focused game but at the same time it's game where hard counters to everything exist, most people have alts, insanely rich and organised blocks exist and fair fights are discouraged so the PvP boils down to one side getting slaughtered without having any chance.
The autistic interface and combat system that revolves around reading a fucking spreadsheet combined with assfaggots levels of abilities micromanagement doesn't help, either.

Vanguard wasn't a wow clone, user, it was a sandbox MMO that had more in common with SWG.
The diplomacy gameplay was really damn fun, too. Basically a CCG where you level up by arguing with people by playing cards like "Ad Hominem Attack" and "Polite Entreaty" and so on, and tried to tip the balance. Really fun and interesting stuff that was sadly too complicated for the average player to comprehend.

I miss my spines/regen scrapper. That glorious bastard with his shiny white cape and his perpetual corny hero grin will never save another citizen.

i autistically dropped so many hours in that game before it was obvious they were revving up the pay to win

just because you shill doesn't mean you're getting your job back, SOE developer

I wish Anarchy Online wasn't dead

It isn't, it's just that Fuckcom is too busy milking it to update it.