/agdg/ + /vm/ Thread

Please, stop making OPs with blatant spelling mistakes edition

Last thread hit bump limit and is in page 13. Post your progress, ask any doubts you have about development, or ask for feedback for your game or mod.

Remember, there's #8/agdg/ in Rizon for discussion, we also have resources and FAQs in >>>/agdg/ and >>>/vm/

Other urls found in this thread:

superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/
sfbgames.com/chiptone/?s=eNpjYDJu9RViYLCcyQAG9Q1AQoHnjLERz5n6__b_GYyNIII-Z1DpyBnYxdXSoIawrwNqnQhkAA0Bi8BoIgQYUPkwM2F21v8HQfn_QD4AQa4xcA..
polycode.org
learnxinyminutes.com/
pragprog.com/
gamefromscratch.com/post/2016/07/24/raylib-game-lib-for-beginners.aspx
github.com/raysan5/raylib
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54384901/SCAD.obj
mediafire.com/download/d9983ddqtbcp7z8/SCAD.rar
mediafire.com/download/ff2v8s19ihildtz/SCAD.rar
mediafire.com/download/npi1ywncwz0e473/knife.rar
shlnyrlce.tumblr.com/post/148691983553/heres-a-taste-of-recently-introduced-elements
awesomebump.besaba.com/
forum.allegorithplease
github.com/pancirno/wormgame).
mediafire.com/download/m9dddqnt29310wy/export.rar
stackoverflow.com/questions/32426810/sfml-loadfromfile-undefined-reference
springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=578787&sid=3fce093a652483a7f3dc51a0cfb667af#p578787
godotengine.org/article/godot-reaches-2-1-stable
archive.is/mGHmk
my.mixtape.moe/csbbmv.mp4
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd)
d20srd.org/indexes/monsters.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does anyone know why rigged meshes imported in UE4 have different vertex weights than what Blender has? My rigs are all kinds of fucked up when animating, because vertexes that shouldn't move, do move.

Where do you guys go to get sound effects?

I'm finding myself editing/mixing a whole lot of laser sound effects, and I'm starting to run extremely dry on resources.

Here's some good links for simple to intermediate level procedural sounds.
Great for placeholders, or remixing:
superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/
sfbgames.com/chiptone/?s=eNpjYDJu9RViYLCcyQAG9Q1AQoHnjLERz5n6__b_GYyNIII-Z1DpyBnYxdXSoIawrwNqnQhkAA0Bi8BoIgQYUPkwM2F21v8HQfn_QD4AQa4xcA..

Freesound if you don't already know about it

I don't use UE + my blender experience is limited… so this is a shot in the dark, but it's more than likely the algorithm used to convert the bone weights/vertex groups to the UE standard.
Which could induce some discrepancy in weights (due to different units of measurement).
Also, vertex groups/bone hierarchy might require a specific setup when importing from blender (i.e. a specific hierarchy as to import into the UE format correctly).
So I'd look over the docs for importing from blender into UE for weights, and bone hierarchies; i.e. what is the required format to matches the template UE algorithm that converts from the blender format to UE format.

plural form is vertices btw

I figured it out. I just have to remove assigned vertices to the moving bone. Even though the weight is incredibly small, UE exaggerates it when importing it.

good job m8

I love that feel

opengameart.org
and jewtube, I download the videos then I edit them with Audacity so it is more suitable for gaems/mods.

Usually deleting parts and cutting is sufficient, I don't know much about sound editing.

Protip, you don't need to download videos from Youtube to record their audio, just enable Stereo Mix and select it as your recording input.

mhm might be possible, but I cannot try that since I am on loonix and no I don't have pulse audio either because it's fucking shit and constantly messes up with audio.

Some rendered images I made with 3D Coat and Ptex. I will be using 3D Coat only temporary in the hope that Blender finally adds the Ptex stuff, since I quite like the Blender interface actually compared to this program.

What is the top axis you use?

I already knew about opengameart and Freesound, but this ChipTone thing is new to me. I'm not going 8-bit aesthetic so it might sound slightly out of place, but they'll probably make a good basis when mixed.
Thanks very much, mates.

hum well that was unexcepted… I can import the dae mesh finely in Blender and even paint on it! Through the painting works slower then usuall, dunno if it's because due to 3D Coat running as it takes quite a power from my machine.

The problem here is through that I cannot reduce polygons because the UV map is fucking spread around.

Is there in Blender some kind of automated way to fix this, so I can dissolve the faces and without getting a horrible mess?

so i've been looking into pre-existing engines for lua, and came across this
polycode.org
you can code everything in lua if you want, and leaves room for C++
think i might give it a try

I'm currently learning Java and I was wondering if it's a good language to make text-based games in.

gimmie

Any language is good for a text based game. I mean really text is the most basic form of interaction, even some obscure experimental language with no standard library would be able to handle that.
The only problem I can think of is that it may be a bit overkill, but depends on what you mean by "text based".

What kinds of music do you guys listen to when your coding/modeling ect

I listen to my edgy nintendocore

How would that even work since Java has a garbage collector that automatically removes unused data. I mean if there was a bug in the JVM a leak could happen but how likely is something like that to even happen?

I have a playlist with a wide variety of songs on it.

im just yolking, but still, java is waaaaaay to buggy

I learned a hard way while developing a worms clone in JavaFX how shit Java is.

I'm currently writing a SDL based codebase in C++ to port over all the good code and rewrite JavaFX specific code or ugly java hacks.

Text-based was probably not the best word for it. The game would use text to describe items, NPCs and actions so that I won't have to get art assets. The player wouldn't write any text (except their name) but instead click on buttons labelled with the action the button will do. (So during combat there are buttons with various attacks such as punch, kick or stab (if a weapon is equipped) and during exploration the buttons are labelled with forest, city etc)

I feel like there is an inner /k/ in me despite being noguns that make me feel dirty every time I take a gun I think is cool and heavily modify it to fit in my game.

Plz don't bully me (or my program)

not like im any better
ive kept to Lua because OOP is a confusing fucking mess
ive been trying to figure this shit out, but really to no avail

I will not accept this. OOP literally exists to make everything easier to read and process to such a point it actually cripples your performance in the process. Forcing OOP for 'readability' is literally a meme everyone takes seriously now.

Which part of OOP do you have problems with?

The garbage collector isn't flawless, and it tends to mask memory problems and make them a lot harder to diagnose, while providing some buffer. Sometimes you won't even know you have a problem until lots of other functionality is added and the codebase has grown in size.
You might experience inconsistent shitfits that only happen when the right magic things are performed behind the scenes in a very specific order, and only sometimes. And then mysteriously 90% of the time after you added a feature that should not, in any way, have an impact on memory allocation.

Java has its uses when you need high portability or multi-server availability through clusters. Each individual node might be likely to survive some badly designed execution, slowly degrade and shit the bed, but it's relatively easy to just keep rebootin' to keep at least one of them alive at any one point.

If you're writing in a language that's more hands-on about memory management, it's a lot more likely that problems will become apparent sooner, if not instantly, and much more consistently.

After learning that new fan-Metroid was in Game Maker I'm going to try it.
However, despite being told I should use it for an RPG- now everyone says it's terrible.

If I'm someone with a very, very basic understanding of code (if statements and the like, bool, string, int, var, arrays) what is good and bad about it?

as i explain below, OOP in relation to games in C styled languages is harder than moonrunes to me

calling methods from classes specifically in games dealing with gametime

in strictly typed languages like C#, C++ ect. i honest to god have no fucking idea how to write a player class
i can write all the code to make it function if its all in 1 main file, however transfering all that over to methods inside another class is confusing

for example; in C# and monogame
public void walk () { if (currentState.IsKeyDown(Keys.Up)) { pos_y -= 5; return; } if (currentState.IsKeyDown(Keys.Down)) { pos_y += 5; return; } if (currentState.IsKeyDown(Keys.Left)) { pos_x -= 5; return; } if (currentState.IsKeyDown(Keys.Right)) { pos_x += 5; return; } }
i have pos_x and pos_y defined in the player class, and from my understanding this should work

simple OOP isnt hard to understand, it's its effective application in games that loses me

i can avoid all of this in lua since it all works on a global scale;
i can define my player variables and all of my player related functions in a file, use require in main and use it effectively. I know (almost)everything on a global scale triggers people, but when you look at lua as being one giant script it makes sense

ill try C++ in polycode first, but chances are ill get overly confused and use lua

Vid related is your new favorite thing

last update

Not a big fan of the clashing colors nor the muddy main texture mate

I asked on the other bread, but said bread is long gone.
What are some nice sites with free 3D models? I'm out for simple cloths and accessories for characters. Not a game dev (and I mean it), but trying to get into modding (an Illusion game) and I need a soviet hat (ushanka) for my Freya.

wat

Why does it keep happening

I wish I could be a NEET so I wouldn't have to waste 9 hours a day on a dead end job

Just learn regular C nigga. Forget OOP.

Then google it.

That looks ugly and impractical as fuck. The only reason why anyone would ever use this is if it were the only gun available, or if they needed to club someone's face with it because reloading would take too long. To modify it to look cool or more practical, you'd have to change the design so much that you might as well make a new gun from scratch.

if i wanted to ignore OOP that much i would stick to conventional C++

i do, and all i get are convoluted tutorials that dont explain it in a way i can understand or are apart of a several video series that consists of "um"s and "we'll be covering this topic in a later video"

Don't watch videos. READ. Programming videos are dumb kids with the attention span of a chicken tendie who want to pretend like they're learning.

The plan is to basically take all the good features the striker added and put them on the gun. It just looks like it'd be a fun gun to have if it actually was half decent. All the shit would trigger the fuck out of /k/ though.

Doesn't matter in a video game. Add a front grip if it looks ridiculous one handed
Can buff it in some other areas to compensate, like giving it really high damage.
Magically give it more ammo. The RE striker could somehow hold 200 rounds.
Ditch the ejector rod and put in the newer strikers shell ejection, where it just ejects after each shot.

I'm from /k/ and I'm officially triggered for good.

im not just watching videos
in fact most of the worst tutorials ive seen are written, rambling buffoons who cant tone down the elite autism to properly explain shit
if you have some good tutorials please pass them along, anything is appreciated

Am I missing something here?

Except the Streetsweeper and its pistol brother are just shittier versions of the Striker.

However I wouldn't mind playing a video game that featured nothing but the worst guns ever designed. It'd be like a fighting game where all the characters are joke characters from other fighting games.

Yeah, game programming is now what flash was 10 years ago. Every tard who wrote a line of code decided they were god's gift to programming and wrote a shitty tutorial clogging the tubes up with garbage.

I don't have one specifically targeting OOP but …

If you're familiar with programming learnxinyminutes.com/ is great.

However it sounds like you're not too experienced yet

pragprog.com/ makes good books. You can acquire them very easily via teh googles.

I've heard good things about Learn Python/Ruby/Whatever the hard way.

Also K&R, SICP are classics for a reason.

Don't look at Java for inspiration for how to do OOP, Java is the poster child for doing OOP wrong.

I don't think making a .47-70 pistol do more damage than a 9mm pistol would be too unrealistic.

It's not a shotgun. It's made of shotgun parts, but it fires .45-70 rounds.

I know that. What I'm saying is take the good parts of the striker and workthem into the ladys home companion because they're similar enough.

To add, basically read books and skip the blogs

The damage is determine by the cartridge, not the gun, it's not a 47-40 gun that makes more damage, is not X shotgun that does more damage than the other shotgun, is the thing that is firing. Then, barrel length should act as a modifier.
Sorry that I didn't read into the details of your retarded idea. Firing .45-70 out of a short barrel was never a good idea, Cobray made a bad 12-gauge shotgun, the .45-70 version of the same platform was even worse.

There are no good parts on the striker, just make a drum fed shotgun from scratch and call it a day.

press A to select all.
Press U for UV menu
hit smart UV map and it will make a new UV for you.

maybe that will help?

Start by setting flat colors over the entire thing.
then add detail
then occlusion
then highlights

Can I ask why you don't just UV unwrap that and texture it traditionally?

Why are you trying to reduce the number of polygons? It looks rather low poly for a vehicle of its size as-is, unless you're trying to use it in an RTS or something.

No, decimation will fuck that thing all up. You have to do it by hand. Just like good UVs.

Made some more, added sound. Now want to add depth. How about ammo counter? Or regenerating ammo? Also any basic AI tutorials?

Anyone know why the ground is screwy

Could be many things.

Also please disable audio next time, got a damn heart attack.

sorry. Wasn't paying attention with the music

looks like z-fighting

I don't know how it could be. There's nothing there besides the terrain itself.

Looks like shadow map problems. If you are using shadows try to increase the bias an order of magnitude, or if you can, decrease the distance between the near and far clip on the light there.

Are you maybe using a spotlight with a buggy cookie?
Otherwise, try another shader, or reducing the diractional light shadow bias, or shadow cascades/quality in the project settings. Somehow something is fucking with the shadows and light.

not with graphical effects like that.. why don't you look through the rendering code? No idea how unity works so im not sure what you can do.

Its a single directional light.
I'm an art fag. No coding knowledge here.
where would I be able to mess with the shadow/light map

on the light itself, if it was created with the engine. I've never used unity so I'm not sure.

This sounds like your problem

try fucking with the bias on the light

Click on the Directional light, and in the inspector you will see "Shadow Type", and beneath some options to tweak lighting through things like bias and resolution etc

Otherwise you can also go into edit->project settings->quality and there should be some shadow options you can try to change.

I know. I have friends that want to join the project and code.
But I plan to learn C# next summer and move on from there. At that point I'm hoping my art direction will have improved to the point where I can bang out assets without worry and focus on code.

Aight.

At the very least, if you're the only artist on board you should acquire some TD skills including basic scripting and knowledge of shaders, light shaders etc.

if that doesn't help, the next thing would be checking your graphics drivers, and reinstalling them.

Also try lighting on a simple scene, like use a flattened cube as ground, and place some spheres/cylinders/capsules around to see if their shadows fuck up, then try just a terrain, etc.

Keep adding stuff back to see if something in the scene is fucking with the shadows

They will leave after a while if you don't stop first, don't do it. Groupings won't work if there is no money involved, except hardcore autist modders.

Nigger you can learn that shit in weeks or even days. C# basics are incredibly easy.

working on it currently. Or trying to.

Looks like that worked! Thanks.

Eh, I don't think they'll leave. I'll remember that advice though.
And as far as C goes, I'm a very slow learner on my own. I need to plan it out or have somebody help me if I'm going to learn anything at all.

what happened to your players shadow dude

one problem down. another one to go.

Frankly I'm exhausted from work. I should really just sleep and look at this later with a fresh head.

goodnight boys. Sorry for my stupidity. I'll be back

You probably changed the shadow bias to another bad value. When you take another look at it, bring it back the other way, it's got a lot to do with the scale of your scene. If you can't find the right value you're going to have to take a look at the clipping values on it.

Okay so I'm making my own lighting engine because that's what I've been working on for a while. Its tile-based.

Now, I had an issue as far as presenting illumination levels and having it act as gameplay mechanics for sight and vision. Basically, I have a number of light sources that flood fill and use line-of-sight to determine tile colors and such. What I'm curious about is whether it be worth it to have a per-tile lighting value (a byte) that acts as a scaling factor for illumination levels comma and as well as being convertible to a mechanical number for gameplay rules (eg bias of 255 is 1.0 x Color, and gameplay wise could be "16")

The reason I would do this is so that I can determine light sources more easily without having to worry about colors and brightness and stuff all I would have to do is just determine the strength and distance, and then the lighting engine itself would make things appropriately colored. Another thing I wanted to do was flag each tile is being indoor or outdoor, or rather having a bias towards Global light and emitted light… eg 0= outdoor tile use scene color, 255=indoor tile use only flood fill light, 128= 50:50 lerp)

will be fixed soon
what you want me to draw everything in per pixel base?

will try

Because I fucking hate having to deal with unfitting spots, then seams appearing due to bad UV maps and what else. And I generally dont like the Idea having to prepare a model by adding UV seams just so that it can be textured later on.

Man Ptex gives me the option to increase/decrease resolution of any damn single faces.

Yes I want to be able to use it for an RTS, and secondly 3D Coat subdivided the mesh which means much more polys that are unnecessary. For my Factorio Mod it won't matter much but it will for my other mods.

I didn't understand a lot of that because you're talking in implementation specifics and not so much what you're actually trying to do. But yes, 2D tile-based lighting is a thing, and you can get a decently realistic look if you let the light flood from a light source and "flow" around corners like paint spilled on a floor, with value decreasing with every tile. You would have to play with making the falloff linear or if you want to obey the inverse square law, whatever looks best or works best for your gameplay. I don't think you have to worry about having tiles flagged as indoor or outdoor unless gameplay requires it. For outdoor tiles you could make each one that is exposed to full sunlight get some default lighting value, and in your flood-fill algo, ignore tiles that are the same brightness or higher than your current tile. That way if each outdoor tile is essentially it's own light source, you're not needlessly lighting all the tiles around those, except adjacent indoor tiles, who being indoors, have a lower light value, and you see where I'm going with this. That's just my 2c. The rest of that bullshit you typed just sounds like you're prematurely optimizing. Just get it working with as many and as large of variables as you need, then worry about making each tile's light value a uint8_t or whatever if you need it to run on your smart watch or something.

In all likelihood, you're not going to get away with not UV-mapping your model. A low-poly tank is easy as fuck to UV-unwrap too, right up there with a 6-sided box. Seams are unavoidable, see again: a box. You're not going to be wrapping around angles like that. A good texture, though, will hide seams. If you're good at modeling, do like another user hinted at and make both a high-poly model (like what you've got but with more detail: hatches, armor plates, chains, bolt heads, dings, scratches, etc.) and a low-poly (you know, something easy to unwrap and perfect for an RTS) and bake the normals of the high-poly to it, plus ambient occlusion, plus a dirt map, etc. Then you can almost get away a solid color diffuse texture, especially if the model is small on screen, or rendered to a low-res sprite. Slap some camo pattern on it instead, put some decals in the appropriate spots and you're golden.

Reminder: OOP a shit

It's "POO" backwards for a reason

POO IN LOO

so polycode for windows is essentially fucked
they have this common problem with windows where without any exception the client will crash before it even functions
gonna try to get it in a VM tomorrow, but if thats a bust im off looking for another 3d engine
while im here, anyone have suggestions for a preferably lightweight 3d engine?
otherwisebabalonHx might just be my next runner up.

As I seem to post per-thread: If anyone needs a model textured, mapped, etc PLEASE get ahold of me. I really need some practice and I'm willing to do whatever.

PLEASE INCLUDE: the UV map and preferably the files for the model so I can see what I'm doing more easily.

It's because of Unity.

Without knowing just how lightweight you're trying to go I can't say much but check out gamefromscratch.com/post/2016/07/24/raylib-game-lib-for-beginners.aspx I've only used it for 2D stuff like a minesweeper clone so far, but it has 3D capabilities and some good sample programs included. Very minimal.

Sorry, wrong link github.com/raysan5/raylib Not trying to shill some blog.

Make sure you Directional Light is set to either Mixed or Realtime (if you don't want to bake lightmaps (bad)).

fug.

Also, it's hard to find clean sounds of a suppressed Dragunov shooting subsonics. Does subsonic 7.62×54mmR ammo even exist? Why am I even using a Dragunov for this and not a gun better suited for the task of shooting subsonic ammunition like the VSS Vintorez or AL Val? Would subsonic ammunition even cycle the action of a Dragunov?

What the hell, it's a sci-fi setting. If nothing makes logical sense I can chalk it up to future. In the end I'm probably just going to just grab a suppressed gun sound that I already have on hand and use that, because who really cares if the sound this dragunov makes is actually a modified M14 gunshot?

I actually know the answer to most of these questions.

wait, what?

Why not take the overkill route with quiet guns and make it a ruger mk3 with the silencer barrel conversion?

Were you the guy that was texturing the knife? I'm the guy who made it, if you were texturing it, do you have anything?

Making some props for my game. Ignore the clutter, it won't be like that in the game, just testing it all in one map.

Just the stuff I sent you. If you could post the .obj files for the model so I can see a little better on what goes where, I'll give it a second shot.

are you gonna implement anti aliasing?

So you got your tablet fixed? Let me upload it somewhere and I'll give you a link.

I've got a new one coming that should be here wednesday. It'll be harder to do a knife with a mouse than a landscape texture, but I'll give it the old college try.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54384901/SCAD.obj

Okay, there it is.

Cool, cool. Do you still have a link to the uncolored UV? I'd like to start from scratch.

Let me redo topology first a bit. It shouldn't take me long.

sure thing.

It's POO in Spanish.

That one works, by adding another UV Maps then using a new texture which uses the Ptex + UV Map.

Dissolving faces works too but then the bake function cannot be used anymore.

So if I understand it right it would be better to make a Hi-Res model which will be used for rendering and making a Low-Res model which uses the Hi-Res model for baking? With an added bonus that a normal/bump map can be generated along.

So that also means I don't need to cull polygons because making a Low Polygon Model would be better?

(checked)
Well I kind of do that, for my Microtank skullfuck mod and Spring RTS Panzerstahl game I am using actually Atlas texturing because then I would have the flexibility that I can make additional units with changed parts.

hmm so in Layer forms?
1: Basic texturing / solid colors
2: Detailed layer
3: Ambient Occlusion baking
so for things like team color and lights?
4. Highlights
5: Additional texturing such as camo or something else

Sorry mate for my rushy replies because I had to go to sleep so I can go to the stupid (((job-creation measure))) [In German it is called Maßnahme it is a fucking shit where NEET's have to go else the NEET bux will be cut off]

Why my T-55 model has such a mixed style of a bit higher detail and lower detail, well it's because the model was originally made for my RTS game and since I got pissed of making a game for it I decided to make a Factorio mod instead so I just took the T-55 model and made it a tad more detailed.

And I never liked the UV-Mapping workflow because it takes ages at least for me anyway to get it at least fitting somehow so that it doesn't look too bad, so yes I always go autistic on that.

Well because there was a time something bad happend I can't remember exactly what it was why I got pissed off and due to that I decided to make mod/games for something else, so yes I really fucked it up.

So my projects are these:
Panzerstahl RTS game with Spring RTS engine
Microtank mod for skullfuck
ARWM mod for Factorio
and I worked a bit on the Moon Man mod for skullfuck fixing a few issues such as the Zyklon BFG crashing servers among other things.

Yes yes I know doing that is a -very- bad practice and I shouldn't have done that, welp I have to suck it up and continue working on one of those things till it is to the "finished" state or so.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I'm writing a shmup in Java and I want to switch over to C++ with SDL. What are you using for an audio library? I'm looking at either PortAudio or SDL_Mixer, but I've got no experience with either.

OOP is overused. Don't use it unless you need it. Using a language feature or design pattern should make your code better and easier to understand. If it does not then just don't use it.

Okay, here you go. Here's the link to the updated model. dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54384901/SCAD.obj

And here's the updated UVs.

Was someone making a NGE Geofront management game at one point or was that purely the product of my imagination?

africa no

It's implemented but I turned it off because I kind of like this look.

Because it lets a 90-IQ Pajeet be a programmer?

Does anyone have any recommendations for an easy to use audio library for C++? I'm porting a project of mine from Java and I've been kinda spoiled by the JavaFX MediaPlayer stuff.

openAL is easy to use

Turn it on, you shit!

That works in some cases, like old PS1 games relying on CRT blur to hide the jacked edges of the polygons. However, I get the feeling if you ever blur things for effect you'll still get the graphics whores pms'ing over it anyways.

i would say probably yes

I like this idea. I found a free model but I think that it's a bit too realistic.

Time to reduce the poly count I guess…

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this is like babby-tier programming, but it still feels good when it gets pulled off.

fucking shit how do i build a library with cmake release and debug
I remember it being really easy just a few commands
But i can't remember and for some reason i can't find it anywhere

Uncommented mess of code with vague variable names that nobody but author could decipher. Keep it up, that's first sign that you're on a good way to finishing your game.

Well, good luck understanding anything if you get back to that code in a month.

Sorry it took so long. I've been asleep most of the day after a long night and I'm just starting to learn Substance Painter. Hopefully these work out.

mediafire.com/download/d9983ddqtbcp7z8/SCAD.rar

Good, I've been watching this thread. I'll check it out now.

Uh, how is the knife supposed to look like in Substance? Because I think I fucked something up real bad here.

Uh oh. Probably on my end. Let me get the un-painted masks right fast and I'll just get those to you.

Alright. These will almost certainly have to be upscaled. No idea why I'm having such shitty luck with this. It's on my end, rest assured.

mediafire.com/download/ff2v8s19ihildtz/SCAD.rar

Still fucked up.

Sheeeit. I'm not sure what to tell you, man.

I don't either. Apart from telling you that your previous maps that you gave me at first did somewhat work. Why don't you try replicating those? Here's my setup in UE4.

This is that spess pirate game with the not-Samus in a pirate hat, right? What the fuck language even is that?

Okay, here we go. I think I was fucking up something with the channel bake. Try this and see how it works.

mediafire.com/download/npi1ywncwz0e473/knife.rar

Yes. It's Decorate, which is kind of a babby offshoot of Flash Actionscript. Which recently got something called "anonymous functions" implemented, which allows for function grouping and if/else clauses, kind of like a babby version of C.
It's a bastardization of a bastardization smooshed up into one horrible amalgamation, and I love it. It's so adorable.

This is actually pretty straightforward code (for the language, at least), so since I'm the only person doing the coding I haven't really seen the need to do any commenting.
If someone else wants to jump on board for whatever reason, I'll definitely be commenting the shit out of everything.

Though I suppose it'd also be good to do so before any major releases, in case anyone wants to look at anything and figure out how it was done.
I'm not actually aware of proper source code etiquette, so I dunno what the procedure is.

Do they act similarly to C# expression trees and anonymous methods?

I dont even think that is real camo. Besides maybe in the Tank Bathaltholon Russia hosts time to time.

the fuck are those colors my nigga?

add_library() where you'd normally add_executable()

You niggers better have dyslexia or something to think this is indecipherable.

Now it looks good. My only criticism is that you kind of exaggerated that rust damage a bit, but it looks good now. There's also the fact that the blade gives off reflections that are too clear, but I can fix that on my own. Here's how it looks in game, and also how it looks close up.

Yeesh. I did go overboard. It's dinged up, but much more realistic looking in SP.

Also, if you ever need anything else done PLEASE let me know. I need all the experience I can get now that I've switched to Substance Painter and I'd love to help out.

Do you make models as well?

I'll try to replicate that gif, I'm sure it can be done. I just plopped those maps you gave me straight into the material, no modifications done.

I do have plenty of stuff that needs to be textured. But it's best to take it slow, mostly because I haven't UV unwrapped most of it, and you're still learning. By the way, how should I credit you?

Nah, sadly I'm not actually talented. I've just got sort-of an eye for making textures (sometimes) and like to help people when possible.

Fair enough. I don't do anything artsy so it sucks not having someone to at least make me placeholder meshes for shit. Is substance hard to learn so far? I was thinking of grabbing it and fiddling around when I'm done sperging about code.

substance painter is by and far more accessible than any kind of photoshop layer fuckery, but it seems like it's very limited to being able to DIY your materials, so it works better as a supplement to something like photoshop or paint.net.

Good thing I know basic paint.net and photoshop. Not really an artist though so I've never done textures, only modding and posters and shit.

A cursory Google of those say yes. They look incredibly similar and seem to function fairly similar, but I'm a retard so I might be mixing it up completely.

The system is fairly simple.
The sprite name (for example, the sprite labeled UYEN, with "####" being the "whatever i don't care" label), any frames for it (BCDEFGHA, which plays UYENB0, UYENC0, UYEND0, and etc in a complete animation loop), and then open up a function with brackets. { }
Inside the brackets, other functions and conditions can be declared, which will be executed throughout the entire duration of that sprite and frame definition.

For example, in the SuckingUp: state, it plays the entire animation (UYENB0 to UYENH0 and then starts again with UYENA0), and throughout the entire animation it makes the item noclip and move in, while constantly checking the distance.
If it's closer to 32, it instantly warps over to be picked up, and if it's further than 256, it stops moving, turns off NoClip, and goes back to the waiting/Death state.

In very basic terms, it's basically "when X animation plays, do Y".

The next thing that I am going to texture will have a proper color pattern. I…I… I swear man.

i changed the dialogue so there's a pause in which the player's answer is spelled out, with his audio
so now you can also put the player audio in here

Substance Painter looks neat but I doubt it (and PBR by extension) would be useful for something that's supposed to resemble an 80s OVA without cel shading.

That'd be mostly on the end of your shader. Most all of the materials are designed to look as realistic as possible for what they are, so you'd need postprocessing filters in order to achieve that.

What did you mean by this?

no, seriously

user who shilled hard for Substance a few threads ago here.

Correct import settings in Unreal:
These go into the base color and normal map inputs respectively. UE should give them the correct settings by itself.

These go into the - you guessed it - metallic and roughness input of the material node. However, you need to make sure that the textures are set to linear. Otherwise they will look wrong. To do that, you need to double click them in UE and then uncheck "sRGB". Be sure to rewire your material nodes afterward, as they will break.

If you're using Substance Designer, you don't need to fuck around with any of this though, because it can automate everything. You can export your texture as a single archive file, which contains all the texture maps from Painter. The (free) UE plugin will correctly extract it, apply the settings and provide you with a ready-to-use material automatically. It has the additional benefit of letting you change the resolution of your material without re-exporting. I create my textures at 2048*2048 px, then select a more sane resolution from the dropdown list in UE. (see pic 1)

Painter is only there for painting. If you want to design your own substances, you use Designer (as their names imply). Aside from creating your own substances and those archives I mentioned earlier, Designer can also be used for texturing your models. You can create procedural materials, which allow you to do shit like dynamic dirt and so on. Pic 2 is not just a barrel rusting randomly. If you look closely, you can see how the rust starts at the top and inside cavities (where moisture would naturally gather), and then spreads from there. I only use it for the sbsar files though.

You shouldn't touch those texture maps up in paint.net or Gimp, because they can't handle 16 bit textures. If you need to, use Photoshop or Krita.

Btw: Substance B2M is also a tool you should look into. It's meant for creating PBR textures from photographs and is quite good at doing that. However, that's not what I use and recommend it for. There are thousands of free, simple textures out there, which were once made for the old diffuse/specular/normal shaders. With a little bit of practice, you can use B2M to make those old textures play really nice with modern PBR shaders.

Yeah, I pirated SD and SP both. It'll take a while to learn them, but they're really nice software.

If you meant my game, I was actually going for a realistic style. I was going to implement some fun shit, though. It just so happens that I have a huge boner for rocket skates and going fast.

Anyways, have this video. Holla Forums doesn't like my huge ass .mp4 files. shlnyrlce.tumblr.com/post/148691983553/heres-a-taste-of-recently-introduced-elements

I'm painting object and geometry textures in Krita without making them look overly realistic or physically accurate, while most of the character models whenever I get around to making them should be noticeably stylized without relying too much on fine texture details if that makes any sense. Aside from that it's mostly just abusing volumetric lights and small animation/architectural things that are hard to summarize quickly.
Yes, I know Oedo 808 is from the early 90s.

awesomebump.besaba.com/ is good for creating PBR textures and shit like normal maps from photographs too if you prefer free software.

Firefox doesn't like your link either and crashes every time I try opening it.

Wow, I must read things far too quickly.

Shill Substance Designer for me. That rust is impressive.

this is all you need to see of substance painter

Neat tool; airbrush erase used on a single layer?

But what does this bring to my workflow and does it make generating realistic textures easier?

fuck, i meant built-in gpu

Everything looks wet and glossy in UE4, though. How can I fix that?

use unity

You're thinking too classical (Photoshop, 2d) here. These things are called particle brushes and what they do is paint, using simulated physics on your 3d model. I don't remember every available one (paused my subscription, because I'm working on code all the time). I think they had a sandstorm one, where you look at your model and as long as you click, lots of small particles shoot towards it, scratching it wherever they hit. It's a really cool tool.

forum.allegorithplease use archive.is.com (use archive.is)/index.php?topic=2561.0

Check out vid related. It's an official tutorial where they create a dynamically rusting material. It's 30 minutes long, but it shows you the entire workflow. You can check part 1 where they create the underlying metal texture, if you're interested.

Turning up roughness in the material blueprint would be a good start.
Also turn down specular I think. I can't be assed to wait the age it takes to start Unreal, so I'm going by Blender names for concepts here.

always forgetting the URL filter
Make sure that your metallic and roughness maps don't have sRGB enabled.

They're particle effects. They can paint on materials in methods that recreate physical interaction. Want a model to look like it's been speckled with mud? Select a mud material and use the rain particle to literally simulate putting the model into a rain of mud. Doing minute work on a monster? Use fleshtones and the veins tool to create networks of blood vessels underneath your model's skin.

It's still creating textures against a flat image.

I'm currently writing a basic game engine for myself to eventually start porting back my failed Java Worms experiment to C++ (github.com/pancirno/wormgame).

I made it currently so:

So how should I make the scene "talk" to SDL? Should I make SDLContext exposed to the scene object and have it call it's functions (GrabSDLEvents(), DrawSprite(), PlaySound()) or build more sophiscated messaging system? I know I will need one if I ever get around writing replays or online multiplayer.

Alright. Disabling that did the trick. The material doesn't quite look like Substance's rendering, but it's metallic enough. I really don't care about that too much, but the last things that does booty bother me is the fact that it reflects too well. That's seen in the other pic, where the colour of the reflection is a deep blue, and it doesn't look natural.

So how does substance designer works, does it require the mesh to be UV-mapped or something?

Yes…. Very yes…

meh fuck it then.

It's not that hard and worth learning, man.

This is the shit nobody ever talks about with OOP. Yeah, we all know how to make Cat() and Dog() objects walk() and have them inherit from Animal(), but how do you use OOP with existing frameworks like SDL/SFML/GLFW/etc with events, callbacks, OpenGL state and shit? Everything I come up with always feels like a crude hack.

Making a wrapper.

yeah, the handle is my least favorite part. I used the rubber material on that, the parkerized steel material on the blade, aluminium brushing for the scratches, and a material called "metal dumpster" for the weathering

The handle is literally plain black with a few smudges, completely smooth. There's no sort of texture there, no rubber, plastic or leather. Could you do something about that?

I can try, one sec

Tried my best. I'm not really sure how to properly get what's in my head into the texture yet when it comes to Substance Painter

mediafire.com/download/m9dddqnt29310wy/export.rar

Can't you just slap a tileable texture on it and call it a day? Does Substance have any of that? I really don't know how it works.

Made a muscle car.

Easy when you know how. Cut more code, keep throwing yourself at the wall and you'll get it in time.

The problem isn't OOP, the problem is what would be practical in the long run

I want a nice working framework for all my projects, and I figured that making self-contained scenes communicating with SDL wrapper would be the best so I could just fiddle around with algorithms and testing stuff without yanking out the entire engine.

wew

meh

Fuck man i can't compile my project
because of this issue
stackoverflow.com/questions/32426810/sfml-loadfromfile-undefined-reference

there's an answer but i don't know how to do it
Someone pls help

Then why the fuck on earth did you accept it as the best answer?

Looks good user.

Reminds me of Robot On The Road

Also did some walk cycle practice, albeit incomplete because arms. Body probably going in, but not the character, it belongs to someone else.

Thanks!

I like that, what's it from? Is it just a short or something?

Yeah, it's called Robot On The Road. It's a short from Japan Animator Expo 34

What the fuck is this thread about?

magan kemes

Instead of working on the actual game, today I decided to pimp the main menu a bit.

So you basically want just a window with some buttons and other shit ? You could use AutoIT for it. It's very easy scriping language and it has the window editor/creator too. Just drag n drop your buttons, labels, check box etc and then code around it.

This could be awesome if you add some chiptune music.

You don't have to use classes if there's only gonna be one object of that. For example, you can create class for player, but then you would need to make one instance of that class global and just use that, no need for that. You can use globals and externs

in your cpp file make a variable you want

// player.cppint hp;int posX;int posY;....

and in your header

//player.hextern int hp;extern int posX;extern int posX;

now every file you include player.h in will have access to those global variables.

I didn't work on the sound yet, I'm still working on the rendering (everything is software rendering coded by me ) but I plan on using mod music + digi for sound effects

something like this

Or something like Tempest 2000.
Rainbow vector graphics + chiptunes = best aesthetics.

Don't get discouraged Panzerkun, you're just starting out.
Now you know what you need to learn more about: high poly to low poly baking, retopoing, how to do UV Layouts, how to texture (you can also do this Procedurally like for your tank), you also need to learn about normal maps, ambient occlusion, how to add details like wear and tear, specular maps, proper lighting (your model looks tremendously flat because you don't have any normal maps or decent lighting)

What you were trying to do, I think, with ptex and subdivsion surfaces in general is called "non-destructive modeling"; the idea being you use modifiers to do a lot of the work for you, that way you can go back and change things without destroying the mesh

That's fine, but you will ALWAYS have to produce a final mesh where (in Blender terms) you've Applied all the Modifiers and optimized (baking/retopo) it for a game engine

If you're object is going to have no methods then you can probably use structs instead. There are plenty of ways to program without classes and objects.
Classes can be really useful but is often used too much.

Structure in c++ is literally just a class with everything public. There's no difference + class can have constructors and destructors which can come handy

Structs can have private variables, constructors and destructors. The difference is structs cannot be inherited.

What do you mean ?

I don't know about C++, but this is from a C# background; are structs equivalent in both languages? In C# they represent an object with value-type (pass by value) semantics and should be immutable.

Structure is simply an allocated memory of the size of your structure

Struct structureExample
{
Int var1;
Int var2;
char string[10];
};

structureExample ex;

Nie if you get a pointer to this object

Int pointer = (int)&ex;

You can access your variables inside just by the offset

Int val1 = *(int*)(pointer)
Int val2 = *(int*)(pointer +4)

Just looked it up. I'm retarded. I still like using them.

I use them too out of habit

Yes but is there a way to make an object type have pass-by-value versus pass-by-reference?

English is not my first language and I seriously don't understand what youre asking. Give me an example from c#

struct bob { public: int getshit() { return shit;}; private: int shit;};main() { bob test; std::cout

Lol that's obvious, I must have had my brain frozen for a while

>A variable of a reference type [any class] does not contain its data directly; it contains a reference to its data. When you pass a reference-type parameter by value, it is possible to change the data pointed to by the reference, such as the value of a class member. However, you cannot change the value of the reference itself; that is, you cannot use the same reference to allocate memory for a new class and have it persist outside the block.

>A value-type variable [any struct] contains its data directly as opposed to a reference-type variable, which contains a reference to its data. Passing a value-type variable to a method by value means passing a copy of the variable to the method. Any changes to the parameter that take place inside the method have no affect on the original data stored in the argument variable.

I make everything in my classes public anyway and I don't use functions like you've showed.

I think I know what you mean…

SomeStructure x; //an object
SomeStructure* y =&x; // pointer

x.VARIABLE = 1;
y->VARIABLE = 1;

No, that's not it at all. This isn't related to pointers, but how the object is handled by methods. In C#, you can use the "ref" or "out" keywords to pass objects by reference.

An object that is a class has pass-by-reference semantics, meaning if you provide an instance to a method, it will only copy a reference to the object. Compare this to a an object which is a struct, which is pass-by-value. When you give a struct to a method, the entire object is copied and initialized and the method has its own local copy to play with.

(Actually, the method has a local copy of the reference to play around with too; you can change this if you wanted to)

If you pass a reference by using ref/out, you're actually passing a reference to the reference, which can change the "pointer" (for lack of a better word) that the method uses as a parameter. If you pass a value by ref/out, you're giving it allowance to change the original object which is not copied, but instead provided a reference to the method.

Don't worry about it.

Just pass a pointer to the function instead of the whole object. Seems to do the same thing you described

>rewrote complex gpgpu alg for the nth time on paper
>SIMPLEST error, and I even have a note in my notes for the rewritten alg specifically for this… and I only forgot to implement it

fuck me, but damn was that the biggest relief I've had in ages; I knew my logic was sound when I initially wrote my alg on paper.

Nice. Happens to us all

But my original question was whether reference and value types are identical in C++ and C#… so it seems that they are, probably except with very minor quirks and compiler differences. it's bad form to make a struct changeable after its initialized in C#

The worst thing I've done is reimplemented something twice because I didn't realize I didn't update my test data to be correct

that makes me feel better, thanks user

that fucking picture though dear god man

Yo, user you gave gpgpu links to the other day here.
Some ways back while working on my predictive modeling project I simply forgot one time to feed arrayelement[counter + 1] instead of arrayelement[counter] to a particular function. So in effect, instead of attempt to predict the next data point in a time series it was "predicting" the point it just read. It ran just swell, too.
That missing "+1" invalidated about ten weeks of work that had come after. I also spent about a week implementing every check under the sun that I could come up with to guard against it happening again, but of course there's no way to completely automate the checking of results when you're attempting to predict unknowns.

Still reducing the Polly count of this pistol. It's taking longer than expected but I've made good progress.

I'm pretty sure it's a shoop.

I hope it is.

It is. She has some kind of growth.

Is there any free/pirate books that goes into detail how to git gut with those things you just described? I really could use a gude tutorial or two how to make gud textures.

So Ptex won't allow me to make variants of a model for like a Artillery version or a Bridge Layer?

Jesus man the first time I heard about Ptex it sounds fucking awesome, now my dreams are broken ;_;.

Welp, I am not really discouraged I just find it fucking gay that Ptex is not that flexible. Meh I guess I am going to stick with Atlas Texturing for a while then till some dude/wizard figured out a way how to improve Ptex so that it just as suitable for games or something.

springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=578787&sid=3fce093a652483a7f3dc51a0cfb667af#p578787
no this is another user, just showcasing examples of it, the BAR mod also uses atlas texturing.

I'm not the one who posted the question

Comparison of lowest and highest settings in my game engine. High quality screenshot has trilinear filtering, mipmaps, anisotropic filtering (16x), highest shadow res, reflections, FxAA, maximum particle count (this one's not visible on pic). Of course it's also possible to change resolution to anything from flash game tier 800x600 to 4k, but in this case the resolutions are the same (800x600 windowed).

Just look at how MGS1 made fun of you for having a mono tv

Lowest quality still looks pretty good, actually, though that may be because of the art direction.
Or because I play a lot of older games so I'm used to games looking like that.

Either way, looks good, mate.

My only complaint is that the textures themselves need some more shading. When you've got a low poly game, almost all of your detail comes from your texture, so it's important to make sure that you avoid monotone colors when possible. Any sort of depth should be accentuated via a gradient or dithering. Have you got normal and specularity maps set for your textures yet? They seem a bit flat.

Someone had this watermelon in their ass, youre looking at a very rare mutation of mouth and asshole

seriously can someone help me
I rebuild the sfml libraries with cmake but I'm still getting the same problem

how do i do this?
How do i compile libraries against a package?

your platform ?

I like lowest quality more because its more blocky.
Any chance for a setting with highest quality effects but otherwise lowest quality graphics?

is there porn of the robot

I'm still working on the props so I'll be adding more details to the textures. I don't use bump maps or specular maps, I'm not sure if I want to. I think I like the flat style. I'll probably experiment more though.

Yeah, you can tweak lots of stuff in the graphics menu (and I'm still adding more settings). Pic related.

N-not yet..?

Oh well. To each his own. Please for the love of God get in touch if you need any help texturing whatsoever

Godot's been updated
godotengine.org/article/godot-reaches-2-1-stable
Pretty substantial update

Neat. Looks like next update will add C# support, been waiting for that before I get into godot more.

linux

You have no excuse not to go with the settings on the right as default, and leave the option to turn stuff down/off for toasters. People nostalgia-fagging or whatever about aliased 800x600 resolution screens are retarded. It looks like ass. Unless you are intentionally going with a 320x240 or 640x480, PS1-ish look, and you're clearly not because you're not using low-res, pixelated textures, make everything as sharp and clean as possible. Don't embrace hardware limitations as "quirky" or "charming", that's hipster shit for failures. Overcome them.

On an unrelated note: what is this game about, anyway? It's a platformer, sure, but what is the objective? Why are there radioactive barrels? Why is the player a robot? Didn't it used to be some animu girl? Why is it called Speebot with a smoking tire for an 'o' when the game is not fast-paced and there's no racing or anything? Are you sure this isn't just an engine demo?

The settings are all high quality by default, the game's story is yet to be revealed, I guess.

Given the choice between FXAA and nothing if a SMAA injector isn't working for whatever reason, I'll always go with no AA.

Has anyone of you written a complete GDD yet?
I started writing mine, but stopped a while ago. Now I need to finish it before the end of the month. A guy I'm studying with may join me, but I need to pitch the project to him. If I can convince him, that may be a huge step forward for me. I hate working alone and - as much as I enjoy it - can't work on the programming forever. I need to make those 3d models already.

The reason why there's no visible performance difference is, that there is so little happening on the screen, that he hits the upper framerate limit even at max settings. (see first pic: )

SMAA has been on my feature wishlist for a long time now, might get to implementing that soon. If I find a decent guide for doing that in OpenGL

show make of your program

Has anyone here used Godot?
What are your opinions on it?
Is it good for someone making their first game?

heres the makefile

#OBJS specifies which files to compile as part of the project
OBJS = rts.cpp

#CC specifies which compiler we're using
CC = g++

#source files
SOURCE_FILES = particleEffects\Emitter.cpp particleEffects\Particle.cpp particleEffects\ParticleEffects.cpp menu\menu.cpp menu\button.cpp supportClasses\f2.cpp supportClasses\Rect.cpp supportClasses\Shape.cpp supportClasses\Rectangle.cpp rts\Game.cpp rts\general\Terrain.cpp rts\general\Tile.cpp rts\general\Unit.cpp rts\general\Units.cpp rts\general\Object.cpp rts\Run.cpp

#INCLUDE_PATHS specifies the additional include paths we'll need
INCLUDE_PATHS = -IE:\SDL2\i686-w64-mingw32\include\SDL2 -IE:\SDL2_image-devel-2.0.1-mingw\SDL2_image-2.0.1\i686-w64-mingw32\include\SDL2 -ID:\sfml\include -IsupportClasses -IparticleEffects -Imenu -Irts -Irts\general

#LIBRARY_PATHS specifies the additional library paths we'll need
LIBRARY_PATHS = -LE:\SDL2\i686-w64-mingw32\lib -LE:\SDL2_image-devel-2.0.1-mingw\SDL2_image-2.0.1\i686-w64-mingw32\lib -LD:\sfml\lib

#COMPILER_FLAGS specifies the additional compilation options we're using
# -w suppresses all warnings
# -Wl,-subsystem,windows gets rid of the console window
# -std=c++11 for c++11, -o3 for compiler optimization.
COMPILER_FLAGS = -std=c++11 -o3

# Debug flags
DEBUG_FLAGS = -g

#LINKER_FLAGS specifies the libraries we're linking against
LINKER_FLAGS = -lmingw32 -lSDL2main -lSDL2 -lSDL2_image -lsfml-audio -lsfml-network -lsfml-graphics -lsfml-window -lsfml-system

#OBJ_NAME specifies the name of our exectuable
OBJ_NAME = sdltest

# Debug output name
DEBUG_NAME = $(OBJ_NAME)debug

#This is the target that compiles our executable
all : $(OBJS)
$(CC) $(OBJS) $(SOURCE_FILES) $(INCLUDE_PATHS) $(LIBRARY_PATHS) $(COMPILER_FLAGS) $(LINKER_FLAGS) -o $(OBJ_NAME)

run : all
sdltest.exe

debug :
$(CC) $(OBJS) $(SOURCE_FILES) $(INCLUDE_PATHS) $(LIBRARY_PATHS) $(COMPILER_FLAGS) $(DEBUG_FLAGS) $(LINKER_FLAGS) -o $(DEBUG_NAME)
gdb $(DEBUG_NAME)

And the error output just says
undefined reference to all the file related sfml functions so
loadFromFile, saveToFile and for some reason also sf::String

It used to compile before i upgraded the version of my OS which presumably changed gcc as well
Maybe I just need to revert back to an older version of gcc

Suppose I have a grid of tiles where each grid is just a simple color value and an implied position.

If I had a huge list of vertices would it expensive to transform them into those grid coordinates and color each vertex appropriately?

Hello Again, Mom user here. Showing off one of the branching off areas from the Hub, the misty forest area. Going to upload the rest in the next post!

Oh yes, It should be noted that this is just half of the map so far. I will be posting screenshots of the other half when that is done!

(checked)
So you are alive. I thought you went MIA.

Nawh, I been busy with this map and other related things. It should be noted, when I am done with this stupid map, I will be working on the first actual trailer of the game!

Which I can't wait to do, since I actually have some big things I want to show off in it!

What do you need SFML when you use SDL2 ?

uh sorry about that that's the wrong makefile
this is the one im actually using

#OBJS specifies which files to compile as part of the project
OBJS = rts.cpp

#CC specifies which compiler we're using
CC = g++

#source files
SOURCE_FILES = particleEffects/Emitter.cpp particleEffects/Particle.cpp particleEffects/ParticleEffects.cpp Menu/Menu.cpp Menu/Button.cpp supportClasses/f2.cpp supportClasses/Rect.cpp supportClasses/Shape.cpp supportClasses/Rectangle.cpp rts/Game.cpp rts/general/Terrain.cpp rts/general/Tile.cpp rts/general/Unit.cpp rts/general/Units.cpp rts/general/Object.cpp rts/Run.cpp

#INCLUDE_PATHS specifies the additional include paths we'll need
INCLUDE_PATHS = -IsupportClasses -IparticleEffects -IMenu -Irts -Irts/general -I/home/vincent/SFML/include

#LIBRARY_PATHS specifies the additional library paths we'll need
LIBRARY_PATHS = -L/home/vincent/SFML/lib

#COMPILER_FLAGS specifies the additional compilation options we're using
# -w suppresses all warnings
# -Wl,-subsystem,windows gets rid of the console window
# -std=c++11 for c++11, -o3 for compiler optimization.
COMPILER_FLAGS = -std=c++1y

# Debug flags
DEBUG_FLAGS = -g

#LINKER_FLAGS specifies the libraries we're linking against
LINKER_FLAGS = -lsfml-audio-d -lsfml-network-d -lsfml-graphics-d -lsfml-window-d -lsfml-system-d

#OBJ_NAME specifies the name of our exectuable
OBJ_NAME = game

# Debug output name
DEBUG_NAME = $(OBJ_NAME)debug

#This is the target that compiles our executable
all : $(OBJS)
$(CC) $(OBJS) $(SOURCE_FILES) $(INCLUDE_PATHS) $(LIBRARY_PATHS) $(COMPILER_FLAGS) -o3 $(LINKER_FLAGS) -o $(OBJ_NAME)

run : all
./$(OBJ_NAME)

debug :
$(CC) $(OBJS) $(SOURCE_FILES) $(INCLUDE_PATHS) $(LIBRARY_PATHS) $(COMPILER_FLAGS) $(DEBUG_FLAGS) $(LINKER_FLAGS) -o $(DEBUG_NAME)
gdb $(DEBUG_NAME)

callgrind :
$(CC) $(OBJS) $(SOURCE_FILES) $(INCLUDE_PATHS) $(LIBRARY_PATHS) $(COMPILER_FLAGS) -o3 $(DEBUG_FLAGS) $(LINKER_FLAGS) -o $(DEBUG_NAME)
valgrind –tool=callgrind ./$(DEBUG_NAME)

TEST_FILES=test.cpp supportClasses/f2.cpp supportClasses/Rect.cpp supportClasses/Shape.cpp supportClasses/Rectangle.cpp rts/general/Unit.cpp rts/general/Object.cpp Menu/Menu.cpp Menu/Button.cpp

testrun :
$(CC) $(TEST_FILES) $(INCLUDE_PATHS) $(LIBRARY_PATHS) $(COMPILER_FLAGS) -g -o3 $(LINKER_FLAGS) -o test
./test

Did you compile SFML yourself or did you use prebuild libs ? You use C++11, maybe your libs aren't compiled for C++11

Needs more hip sway. Especially with hips like those.

Holy comfy shit user, that's giving me some amazing vibes.

Why does your COMPILER_FLAGS thing say c++iy instead of c++11?

Oh my, thank you for the compliment!

I am trying to design these maps like system shock maps. I think System Shock 1-2 did a great job of having an open, yet confined "World", so I hope I can do that while added puzzles to the mix!

I did compile it myself
how do i do that?

I just compiled them with default cmake settings

There was some specific function i wanted to use that would only work with c++1y
I don't think I ended up using it though
Also I already tried changing it to c++11
but it didn't make a difference

I never used it, i'll download and try to compile it.

I assume it means that if you use COMPILER_FLAGS = -std=c++1y in your project's makefile, you'd also have to use that same flag in the makefile for the libraries you use.

well cmake generates the makefile for the libraries and I'm not sure where to add the flag
either way I reverted my compiler back to gcc-4.9 and now it works again
sorry for wasting your time

Also I guess lesson learned

Never mess with compilation process our you might fuck everything up

Video games

Those pictures have a pretty good Majora's Mask vibe to them. Nice job.

just what i was thinking

i havent been around enough to know what you're working on, so if you would be so kind what is it?

New version of Space Lynx
gitgud.io/stephenlynx/SpaceLynx

man im actually so fucking mad right now

I tried to compile the sfml with the older gcc version but i gives me another weird bug which is some problem with the gcc compiler which i can't fix

So the only way it compiles is when i use gcc-4.9 to compile my game and gcc-5 to compile the sfml libraries

It compiles now but it just segfaults right away

Even though im certain there aren't any problems with code since it compiled and worked before

And the worst part i can't even fucking debug it
Because the Debug libraries for sfml aren't fucking working so I can't actually tell whats wrong

also how the fuck am i supposed to dev if i can't debug

i figured out how to give your models fully editable lineart

Are you duplicating the mesh and using the back-faces? Your " fully editable lineart" is going to cause you all sorts of pain later on.

good luck rigging that m8

Did you try turning it off and turning it back on again?
Make clean, i.e. deleting all the object files/libraries and recompiling from the ground up

Basically. And yeah, I'd imagine it's not the most elegant solution, but it's really important for me to have full control over the lines. As long as the results are good, I don't mind lots of pain in the ass. I already came up with a couple of fixes for the parts where it looks wrong

I will experiment with other methods, though.

That seems like the biggest challenge. Okami seemed to do something very similar and didn't have fucked up rigs, though.

I don't have any object files and i've tried recompiling the libraries in all kinds of different ways
Also it turns out i can't actually compile libraries myself and make it work
The only way it even compiles is with and older compiler and using the libraries from the
sudo apt-get install libsfml-dev
command
which puts the libraries in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu but still debug doesn't work even though there are debug libraries in there

The way i fixed debug not working before was by compiling the libraries myself but when i do that now it won't compile because of one of two issues neither of which i can seem to fix

the lineart looks good, a bit thick in some places but nowhere near bad

what the worst this kind of solution can do?

I think it might be really hard to animate along with the textured part if you want the keep the thickness consistent, not to mention you're effectively doubling the amount of tris. Even without the lines the model has really bad topology for animation, since I was still learning basics of 3d when modelling that.

As for the thickness, I agree that it needs a lot of work, I just wanted to see if the basic idea would work. I'm trying to adapt my inking style into 3d.

got some more images of your inking style? I'm practicing writing shaders, and might be able to help you out

It's mostly furry garbage and I haven't been inking much lately as I focused on getting better at painting. Excuse the degeneracy, I have to pay Internet bills somehow.
Also, I'm still pretty new to coding and only read some basic stuff about shaders, but links to stuff for further reading are very welcome.

And niggers get free watermelons, foodstamps and phones.

user, I sense great disagreement within yourself Why do you something you fundamentally disagrees with? Or you just don't want to be ridiculed, because of the fact you chose drawing furry pictures for a living? Don't lie, here it is unnecessary.
Your art style is pretty comfy, so you don't have to be embarrassed for the topic of it's.

I don't mind furry stuff, heck, I want to eventually make good 3d furry porn, since it seems like 99% of it is SFM copypaste garbo. I just wanted to make sure people focus on the actual lineart instead of what it represents.

Also there's things I'm not into that I'd draw if it makes friends/commissioners happy, but there's obviously limits.

You could simply add a distance variable to each vertex and not have to worry about trying to rig it in a way that keeps the distance consistent although that'd rquire custom model loading code so I'm not sure you can do it in premade engines. Or you could add a custom kind of map for it, or use the alpha channel of normalmaps since that's unused anyway.

That's one cute wolfgirl user. I really like your style and hope you can pull it off in 3d, what you've already made looks really neat.

Here's two old ones, not as good as the newer ones but I like the muscles. I don't think I have any more that show what I want to achieve.

I suppose that's one way to fiddle with it. I'd like some way to animate the lines so that for example when the character punches something, the ink around their fist would get thicker, or it would slightly lag behind a sword when they swing it. It's not a required feature, but it's a way to use more of the style's potential.

Thanks!

Hmm, to animate it as well would require more effort. Perhaps bones that only control that custom distance variable on vertices, but now we're talking writing shit for your modelling program.
This would be getting to Guilty Gear levels of artstyle experimentation, not sure if it's realistic for someone new to programming.

I watched that talk before and I'll have to watch it again. I liked their solution to lines on the textures.
As for how realistic the goal is, I want my games to all have cool, preferably not too complex art styles, this one I'm saving for a project dear to my heart that I've head in mind since early elementary school, so it's ok if it takes time while I work on other projects to gain experience. For now I'll focus on smaller games with simpler ideas for art styles.
I'm planning to work on a simple platformer with pretty much just diffuse shader (And fresnel for the main character and enemies.), just to get good at modelling and texturing.

Read your core dump with gdb

this is disgusting

this is good

if were talking actually furry shit, there really isn't
heavy anthro is the furthest thing you can go to without breaching furry shit, and it really depends on the artstyle even then

please, your art is good, don't waste it on this level of degeneracy

I don't know how some of you guys do it. At least now I know why every low-effort indie game looks exactly the same.

Oh, Sorry for the slow reply.

MoM (Memoirs of Magic) is a Total Conversion RPG made for Doom. I am happy you get Majoras Mask/Orcania of Time vibes, since thats what I am using for References for textures!

Vid Related is the latest trailer of gameplay footage!

is this coded in C? it looks really cool for a doom based mod/game

Modeling and testing my phone tessellation glove for my original sanic game. So I can add this to some models without modelling this part from scratch.

As I said, its a Total Conversion mod for Zdoom user

Already beats the shit out of Devil Daggers

I really need a toon line solution for UE4. Unfortunately, UE4 is all about post process effects, which to me is just as bad as just putting an outline filter in Photoshop.

Someone put out a Sobel Edge but it's no longer working in newer versions. Plus if you have particles they hardly show up except as dots.

I did a quick look. Did this person make other games before?

I am surprise people say its like quake/doom when its a boss rush with no level design…

Hey anons of /agdg/, I have a question: with enough autism and time, could I make a living off being an indie game dev?

Making games is a dream of mine, and I'm just wondering at some point in the somewhat far future, after I'm done with my current job, if I could make it a full time thing. If anyone knows any success stories, please tell!

I wouldn't really say it's like quake or doom, just making the observation in terms of the amount of gameplay in the one room of your trailer vs DD's one room in its finished game.

Being a successful indie dev is less talent and more luck.

Basically, it doesn't matter how good your game is. It matters whether or not you can get PewdiePie to feature your game on his channel.

archive.is/mGHmk

Don't quit your day job. Just hope you get that Youtuber 100K sales feature, otherwise just expect

1000-3000 sales tops, even on Steam.

I'm totally fine with that, so I'm still here.

meh I am not too happy with the result of this AI Behavior

I want to try to do something like this:

-Fast firing on short range, otherwise slow firing and single shot
-Aggressive in close range
-Forgetting the Player i.e. not chasing when out of sight for a while
-Whimp out when low on health/morale
-Not having a omni tier sense of hearing/seeing

Instead I got this:
-Fast firing on short range, otherwise slow firing and single shot
-Not aggressive in close range
-Forgets a bit way too often despite the player is close
-Whimp out when low on health/morale
-Not having a omni tier sense of hearing/seeing (unknown,?)

That will be a tough nut to crack

Vidya here: my.mixtape.moe/csbbmv.mp4
I din't fine tuned OBS enough so that the quality is ok and doesn't take too much space, no sound due to OBS supports PulseAudio only.

Following up with an answer of sorts to a question I posed before regarding the existence of resources for (free and legal to use) fantasy RPG shit: look for stuff that's SRD (dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd) compliant if you're going for the whole D&D-like thing. Currently using this d20srd.org/indexes/monsters.htm as a base and will be adding original shit as needed. Not sure what to make of the stats and abilities information though, as I'm still working on that stuff (stats, abilities, dmg calculation, etc.)

Probably not with the kind of games you want to make.

When balancing something like chains in an action game where attacks need a resource (like stamina or mana), do you balance them by DPS before balancing resource consumption or do you balance them based on how much resource is going to be used before adjusting the DPS?

As a rule of thumb, do NOT quit your normal job until you can already sustain yourself with game sales profit.

Game dev is a very risky "profession" to take on because of how long it takes to make a single game, and because of how insanely competitive the indie game scene is. And furthermore it's very easy to overestimate your ability to make games in the first place.

when i say debug isn't working i mean gdb isn't working

My only complaint is that none of the classes are a snail, rhinoceros, or warthog.

It was made by one of the guys who worked on Dustforce if I recall right. They're working on Spire right now which looks a lot more like Quake.

If it's your dream then don't give up on it no matter if you're successful or not. You probably shouldn't quit your job, but make absolute 100% sure you don't succumb to the "I'm safe now, I don't have to worry about the game right now." trap. I'm in a position where my health situation isn't allowing me to get a time-dependent job and I'm forced to do freelance, which is comfy as fuck. Even then I try to fill my life as much with gamedev stuff because it's what I NEED to do in my life.
Also, don't let the luck talk get to you, it's one factor, but it's not some magic 'random' thing that decides if you are successful or not, people like saying others got lucky with their success, there was always some logic behind their success. "Luck" can be manipulated, you just need to be smart about the potential customers.

Embed related.

youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o

New thread at