MGS 2

Okay so raiden was in VR the whole game, and snake hacked in, and it was basically the matrix, with raiden living out his reality in VR with his AI waifu.

Also whats the best way to play MGS3 on pc these days.

i5 3470 @ 3.6
6GB DDR3 1.333
GT 730 (fermi) 96 shader 2GB DDR3

Other urls found in this thread:

buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also thats what the speech at the end about finding your own reality, it was snake telling raiden not to worry about living his life in VR with rose.

No, it all happened in real time.

Explain the code in arsenal gear and the colonel (Kernel) fucking out as soon as the virus was uploaded?

They hacked raiden's simulation. Just like the tanker chapter is raiden playing as snake, referenced in the changing dialogue if you go tanker-plant.

JUST A THEORY GUYS

IT`S JUST YOURSELF, A KILL YOURSELF

Ludonarrative dissonance
It was a nod at the first game

Because Raiden never met Campbell. It was an AI that GW used to manipulate him into being their agent.

So why is Otacon so fucked up in real life about his sister dying in VR?

It's a visual flourish. By that logic MGS1 didn't happen either because of Psycho Mantis existing.

Otacon fucking tells you it's GW messing with AI in Raiden's vicinity, and the Colonel was an AI Raiden never met in person. You didn't play the game did you?

The game happened in real time. Fuck off with your MGS2 IS VR maymay it stopped being funny 10 years ago.

No shit, dumbass. That's the entire point of the question. If it was all just VR then why would Otacon give a shit about something that didn't actually happen?

fuck you guys, how do I play mgs3 on PC

Why can't you just enjoy the crazy ride

Except the games make total sense. Is it some sort of meme that they don't? Like the "kingdom hearts doesn't make sense" meme?

Because Otacon either didn't know he was in a simulation or he knows dying in the simulation means you die in real life
:^)

There is no question. The game didn't happen in fucking VR you stupid nigger.

can someone explain to me how fortune was able to redirect the missiles at the end?

That's not because he was in VR the whole time - it's because everything he was ever told about his life and the mission was a lie.

Snake is telling him to find his own truth instead of blindly accepting someone else's "truth".

Plus Rose is real, she's in MGS4, she gets married to Raiden.

This one isn't even something that's supposed to be difficult to figure out. The colonel is just an AI the whole time, made to look like the colonel from the previous game.

There exists technology right now in which a simulation of a real talking person can be falsely sent as webcam data. That's basically what Raiden was seeing anytime he was in a codec call with the colonel.

Codec directly stimulates your ear bones, how was he seeing anyone?

It's ambiguous, but I like to think the Patriots planted another EM device on her just to fuck with Ocelot/so Raiden could complete the mission.

Like Psycho Mantis and The Sorrow, that's one of those things that's actually supernatural and not just NANOMACHINES.
I heard somewhere that it was really because Ocelot slipped the thing back onto her without her noticing.

He doesn't actually see the people during codec calls though. I thought it was just an audio device.
Or is this more nanomachine shenanigans?

Eg, when you're on top of Arsenal Gear and shit is going down and Ocelot is explaining himself?

Is pcsx2 the way to go you fucking uninmaginitive fucks?

I really want to sneak you bastards

All the best,
Stainless

f88d1d was using the colonel fucking up as proof Raiden was in VR.

If Raiden wasn't even seeing the colonel, that just means it'd be easier for an AI to fake being the colonel as they'd only have to emulate his voice.

But his messed up skeleton face IS still there, even if it was just for the player to have something to look at - and Raiden was no seeing it.

So if Raiden wasn't aware of it and the player was, that's called Dramatic Irony

He wasn't, the visuals in the codec calls are just for the players to have something more interesting to watch than just a black screen. Rising may be the exception to that, it's possible Raiden did actually see images of the people he was talking to then since he had a robot eye.

I never understood this either. The story just happens to be dumb and complicated. If you take the time to actually read it, it makes sense, there's no just point.

I don't know. I heard this a few years ago and hadn't yet played the game at the time. I imagine it would have had to be on top of Arsenal Gear. I think that's the only time he'd have the opportunity

Yeah but if you remember, the colonel's voice became messed up too, as well as his speech - so Raiden wasn't oblivious to the fact that something was deeply wrong.

I'm stoned and this killed me
send help

I'm downloading from emuparadise, I hope my PC can run MGS3 with pcsx2 and a gt730 @ 850 core, I'm OP

I'm not sure PS2 emulators tend to do well even on high-end machines, my understanding is that PS2 emulation is actually pretty shitty.

Good luck though.

There's a few cutscenes that show codec appearing as a video-call of sorts in addition to an audio-only call, like when Raiden is looking at Mistral as she talks to Dolzaev and Doktor blips up as a video-call to check up on his heart-rate.

Anything post mgs 2, arguably 3 is non-canon to the series. Thats 4 and revengence, possibly V.

the colonel wasnt real. raiden never met the colonel in person. he was AI. snake, raiden, rose, etc were all real though.

it wasnt VR, it was an acting scene directed by le redditors. their equipment was all bullshit. raiden had no idea what happened in the tanker.

I get that Kojima wanted to end the series several times over but arbitrarily declaring the series non-canon past a certain point is dumb.

The thread after his post is non-canon though.

gno

He didn't direct Revengeance since he passed the project on to Platinum. Therefore not "a Hideo Kojima game" and not canon. The main events from Portable Ops are canon but the entireness of the story isn't. I'll asume 4 is canon, but as for Unfinished V i guess it's up to you.

Except that's wrong, you fucking retard. S3 was the AI manipulating Raiden during the attack. The whole thing about Solid Snake Simulation was retarded shit Solidus was led to believe due to how Ocelot and Olga, both of whom sided with the Patriots, set things up under his nose. The entire scenario was simply a test for the AI system in preparation for shipping it to the masses, which they tested by throwing Raiden in the most extreme situation imaginable, which they fortunately knew where and when it was going to happen due to Olga and Ocelot. At the end the AI was going insane and once it recovered from the worm they went from encouragement and subtle manipulation as they had done most of the game to pretending they had Rose hostage because it was clear at that point that hiding their intentions would be pointless.

Was the whole SSS and trying to turn Raiden into Snake basically just Kojima's way of implementing that stupid mantling shit from Elder Scrolls? You know, basically you become Solid Snake by going through Solid Snake's experiences.

S3 is nothing to do with Snake, it stands for Selection for Societal Sanity. In other words, it is a system intended to manipulate people by making an AI as life-like as possible that can even mimic people that already exist, which would allow them to inject any idea or message they would want society to believe even in the most extreme situations. Why else do you think they were talking about "creating context" and how that what they are doing isn't censorship?

In a less literal sense. Recreate the life, recreate the man.

in the game it was because the AIs were stress testing their determinism powers, how well they can control the world by causing events and controlling the outcome, leading to further events and so on. they used shadow moses as their template because firstly it was an incredibly complex, dangerous and volatile situation where the least likely outcome occurred; therefore if they could recreate this kind of extreme incident precisely then they could be confident that they could do anything. as the AIs tell you, S3 is them, not you

in the subtext it was similar to what you say, Kojima didnt want to do MGS2 but was pushed into by konami because it made so much money. so somewhat cynically, after the pre credits level which was all novel stuff and basically the exact thing people wanted, he pulled a hard turn and recreated the first game in abstract. similar to the AIs seeking to recreate the past to control the future, Kojima wanted to see if rehashing MGS1 would achieve similar success, which it did. this is particularly interesting because both the thematic narrative of the game and the circumstances of its production reflect each other, strengthening the message and lessons to learn in both

i really hate when all these tumblroid leftists come out the woodwork to praise Journey or some shit as the first time games can be considered 'art'; Kojima was fucking running the show 15 years ago making actual productions of artistic merit that McLuhan would crank one out over, after all it was designed with someone like him in mind

tomorrow's Pluck

So how does snake have infinite ammo?

because its a metaphor

Hell, i think that the first MOTHER game isna good runner for the whole "games as art" shit.

S3 was about making good goyim not Solid Snake.

it's partly a joke & partly because he's Snake and you're not
MGS2's events were discussed in later games, it can't possibly be VR

nah the game wasn't vr
it was originally intended to be the last game in the series canonically and was supposed to be up for interpretation on whether it was irl or in vr, but MGS4 essentially confirmed that the events in the game were true
It's kind of a shame but there was no way they could make MGS4 without clarifying the ending of MGS2

Which were non-canon to the series

This should answer your question.

Thanks buddy
I'm gonna be optiimistic and try and run in 720p

There are multiple things happening in MGS2 and one would do well to understand that they are all true and all happening at the same time.
The only difference in "truth" here is depending on the point of view of the characters when describing their motives.

But to boil it all down, the S3 plan is real. The Patriots were really trying to recreate a Solid Snake figure that they could control. Remember, Solid Snake had been the one to defeat Big Boss, personally, TWICE and even put an end to the Shadow Moses incident.
The problem is, Solid Snake fell out of their control after Shadow Moses. That is why when he shows up in MGS2 it throws a complete wrench into the plans of the AI Patriots. They can't account for Solid Snake any longer so they tried to create one they COULD, which would be Raiden. Probably with an intent to have Raiden eventually kill SS. After all, SS is essentially a rogue agent much like Big Boss was.

Remember, the AIs always continue to loop the same plans and patterns over and over again. Some things may change here and there but it is essentially the same template. And you have to love Kojima for this because it is a perfect in-world excuse for why nearly every game follows that template.

The big problem with trying to create a new Solid Snake with the Shadow Moses incident as the real world test is that the way the incident itself happens it seems to end up in the awakening of this now highly trained and ultra-experienced super sneaking soldier and make them go off the grid away from Patriot control.
Which is probably why they dumped that plan in favor of manipulation of things through the war economy.

No, that's in Ghost Babel you dummy.

Is it safe to say that only the games with Solid Snake in them actually happened? He is a real human bean after all.

Is this the mythical group of people who find leftist humour funny

Metal Gear Solid 4 was Alzhimers

Why is Solidus such a massive weeb though

He calls his elite troops Tengus, gives them katanas and armor based off samurai shit, and his weapon of choice is fucking dual wielding katanas.

The console HD releases are the best option, but if you need to use PC:

PCSX2 emulator can't do post-processing effects running in hardware mode so in MGS3 the ground looks fucked up, snake in the menu isn't displayed correctly. Mostly minor, but up to you. You can run the game in Software mode, but you can't use higher resolutions so it just looks like a regular ps2's output.

Made a comparison to show what I mean.

Is there a difference in performance demand between Subsistance and the original MGS 3 with the MG2 camera for pcsx2?

The entire series should have ended with mgs2 as it was the perfect send off even if retards did threaten to rape and kill Kojimbo's family if he walked away.

oh yeah sure but lets ignore the fact that they're all super strength and agility enhancing armors and his own suit has tentacles that shoot out fucking missiles and HE CAN SKATE ACROSS AN AREA AND LEAVE FIRE TRAILS.

But now, he's just a weeb with a sword lol.

How about Raiden being such a fucking weeb for fighting him katana to katana?

*MGS 2

Should have ended with MGS1 really.

You are complete idiots for complaining about a JAPANESE game having JAPANESE references on a primarily JAPANESE inspired website. Are you 12? Besides.

S'cool.

So hey I got curious and tried MGS3 with the latest devbuild:

buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

The post-processing works now with the OpenGL backend for graphics! Screencap.

MGS2 is way less demanding to run.

What's it like having wrong thoughts? Because the perfect way to cap off the series would have been MGS3.
You get a really fucking solid SNEAKING MISSION adventure that has basically all the best qualities of what Kojima can produce in a game and honestly seems like a labor of renewed passion. If not Kojima then definitely the team.
You get to see the beginnings of everything. You get to be in the shoes of the man that would become Big Boss and find out just what the fuck the big deal was about him and why people would bother to clone him.
And of course the gameplay is at its top there. No mechanic seems wasted or tacked on. All seems to have a distinct purpose and interconnection with each other.
I'm not saying this as a fanboy or anything like that but MGS3 is legitimately a shining example of game design.

And then we got the artistic aspect of it in the way the story and journey of Naked Snake to Big Boss is portrayed. It is basically the story of a man killing himself in order to be reborn a new man (monster).
Each boss fight is a representative of an emotion or feeling. This is outright stated but consider what is happening as Naked Snake has to go through and defeat each one. He is basically killing off those emotions and feelings in himself.
People often forget that "The Boss" is also "Joy". So when he kills The Boss he is, in himself, killing his joy, his happiness.

There is also some slight christian biblical undertones to it all. Remember, Ocelot was also supposed to be Adam and we of course all know about Eve in the game. Both seduced by Snake in their own ways and both ending up tasting that forbidden fruit of the knowledge of good and evil (when they eventually end up on Big Boss' side and not the patriots/world governments).

Who's complaining? I actually thought it was all pretty cool.
It also shows that Kojima has clearly wanted to make some super high-tech cyborg ninja game for a long fucking time.

How to widescreen for the 'tarded.

So does that mean the original MGS 3 is easier to run than Subsistence? Just making sure before I download.

MGS3 is a good game, but a shit place to end the series as it sets up Big Boss as being basically Jesus, with little explanation as to how he gets to the character he is in MG1/2.

subsistence is the better game.

I got so tired of fidgeting with the settings, crashes, and weird audio desync that I just bought MGS2 and MGS3 on PS2 again.

It's just so much fucking easier and so much comfier. Fuck emulation.

seconded, emulation is inaccurate and highly undesirable.

Both my ps2 and both of my controllers died on me, emulation is the only thing i can use now.

Oh I mis-read thought you were asking if MGS2 emulated easier.

Doesn't matter what version of 3 you emulate its the same game, it'll be demanding. CPU matters the most. Intel is best.

PS2 controllers died on me a few years ago, we probably both did the same mistake and kept them like shit.

To be honest though, the PS2 and a controller now costs like 50$ tops. IT's not like you're gonna waste that much money.

"died" as in won't turn on at all?

Actually, my ps2 controllers lasted for ten years, they simply stopped working on one and on the other my analog sticks got "dislocated" and can now turn 360 degrees instead of left, right, up and down only.

the ps3 port

Because Snake beat MGS1 twice and got the stealth thingamagic for the tanker and the bandanna for the plant

And a real hero.

OH my God!

Fill in the blanks. Both MGS2 and 3 ended in a way that Kojima could was his hands of the series, but never truly could until TPP fiasco. 2 ends with him pretty much telling everyone, "its time for a new generation to take the reigns" and 3 ends with a lot of time between games so other devs could tell Big Boss's story instead of him.

have to disagree there.
You are given the perfect front row seat to how his character becomes who he is in MG1/2. Basically why he was so willing to apparently betray the U.S.
MGS3 sets it up, he feels completely betrayed by the U.S. and basically every government.

Think of it like this, MGS2 capped off the stories of both Solid Snake and this new character, Raiden, while also giving a nice send-off message to the player.
Raiden is woken up and freed from his past and the haze of what was essentially an artificial present to pursue a completely blank-slated future.
Solid Snake, at the end of MGS2, is presumably just going to continue his philanthropy missions of exposing Metal Gears and helping to stop crazy people from hurting civilians.

So you have all that tied up, what's left? Well why the fuck do the villains in this game keep wanting to be Big Boss so bad? Wasn't he just some old asshole villain that got a hard on after getting his hands on a nuke and walking tank? Why the fuck would people even give a fuck about cloning him?
Well your answer is in MGS3.

Every other game after that is just flavor and complications.

Then how the hell did the guy in the video I posted earlier play it on a surface pro?

Sorry, here's something more to your tastes.

What song is that again? Damn it it's right on the tip of my tongue.

Just wanted to add here that MGSV also tries to end with a parting message to the player which is couched in a message to Venom Snake.

Basically how the legend of Big Boss is made by both Big Boss and Venom Snake. Venom Snake, is of course, the self-insertion of the PLAYER. This is something that is pushed HEAVILY in the very mechanics of the game.
I would go so far as to say that the character of Venom Snake and Raiden are mirrors of each other.

MGS2, the character of Raiden starts off as what is essentially a blank slate, a self insert for the PLAYER. Through the events of the game Raiden becomes a character of his own though. Things are revealed about his past and he begins to have connections and relations to other characters that all have their own histories.
The end of MGS2 has Raiden essentially rejecting the PLAYER and becoming his own character. This is symbolized by throwing away the dog tags in the ending scene. The tags that have your name on them.

MGS5, the character of Venom Snake starts off as a full fledged character. You, are meant to consider that Venom Snake is indeed Big Boss. He has a definite past, a definite future, and connections and relations with all sorts of other established characters. Through the course of the game, though, things begin to unravel this assumption.
The end of MGS5 has Venom Snake getting the last bits of that Big Boss character pulled away from him so he can become fully the PLAYER insert.

not sure but I think its by MGMT?

but can I at least get widescreen?
also is an i5 3470 up to the challenge?

Would you kill yourself? Everything you know about MGS is wrong.

More than a decade later and there are people that are still too stupid to understand MGS2.

MGS2? More like: Holla Forums the videogame

Very close, but no cigar.

It's pretty infamous as a tip of the tongue song.

MGS3 was playable just fine for the most porn (other than a few fps drops and that was during cut scenes), but that is great anyway. It might be nice to replay it soon, MGS2 too.

Sadly Shadow of Rome still has visual fuck ups.

Exactly both s3 plans are being enacted in mgs2 solid snake simulation in order to create another solid snake since the original seems to have wisened up that he was doing the patriots work in 1 selection of societal sanity to see if the AI's can put the solid snake simulation into effect without directly doing anything just manipulating information

BUT THAT'S JUST A THEORY
A GAY ME THEORY

I'm gonna bump just to shame you

If solid snake is so important then why did they inject him with foxdie to die in mgs1?

I thought Naomi just wanted revenge for Gray Fox. This was before the concept of the Patriots existed in the series anyway.

Probably bait but obviously no, the events of MGS 2 happened, not VR.

Every game in the series is canon

OP holy shit you are such a retarded faggot.
Every MG except maybe Rising is canon, yes, MGS4 and 5 are canon as well.
No, MGS 2 did not take place in VR, nor was ANYTHING of the sort even implied in the game.

He was injected with Foxdie to kill the revolting FOXHOUND members and all other witnesses at Shadow Moses you dumbass, this is said so many times in the series.

MGS2 was supposed to be the last one so when MGS4 came about Kojima had to bullshit his way into explaining 2.

I thought the Foxdie was so that he would kill the official he was sent in to rescue?
That's why you never really get to see Decoy Octopus. The Foxdie kills him while he's impersonating the DARPA Chief (dumb, I know) while the DARPA Chief had been dead for some time already.
It was Naomi who changed the shit to also kill Solid Snake.

I think if you were to try to tie everything in the games together, the Patriots can't really control individuals. They can only influence larger picture outcomes.
Seems that when they usually want to directly control the actions of someone they have to kidnap their loved ones or something.

It's a simulation in the sense that Raiden and everyone else are in a video game, it's a fourth wall break to confront Raiden with the fact that his whole world might not be how he percieves it (I.E his view of the world is false as he's been lied to and manipulated) Snake at the end basically tells him to not worry about whether the world is real or fake because his response to that world is what defines him.

As I said, also to kill all the other witnesses there. This includes the ArmsTech president. Maybe not DARPA chief Donald Anderson since he was one of the Patriots himself, and Jim Houseman himself says at the end that he wanted Donald to be saved.

Well, the Patriots as AIs would have just been starting to take complete control at that point right? Makes sense that they would want to kill off the only humans that could feasibly stop them..one of them being a living biological patriot.

That issue was fixed in the latest OpenGL branch like a year ago dude.

Remember tho, that's not what SSS meant.

Not solid snake simulation, but something for "societal sanity"

To be completely fair this is ocelot you're talking about.

No, it was all true.
SSS was doing multiple things at once.

the MGS series is sort of like the X-Files in which every conspiracy theory and weird fucking thing is true. The truth, however, kind of depends on what layer of the conspiracy you're able to see.

The game was about memes, guys.

Is it just me, or was the opening experiment room for that video very similar in concept to the child experimentation scene from Akira just minus the eye color changes?

except the x files is exactly that but ok

What changes? I never heard anything about this before.

uhm…yeah that's what I said.

Apparently the tanker part is a vr simulation played by Raiden, and if you go tanker to big shell "colonel" says that you have done it and have experience with these sort of things.
Shaver is also only available if you do tanker first.

So I was thinking: Is it just me or does there seem to be a running theme through all of these games of "Copies".
I mean, yeah, duh, game about a clone, but beyond the basic stuff with copying genes, most of the flood of examples I thought of had to do with copying the memes, jack.

Snake Eater: By and large the originator of the memes and genes as the first chronological game. But, by the end of the game, Ocelot copies all of snakes moves, and the game's tone is copied from/homage to James Bond. Also, they copied The Boss's codename when Giving Big Boss his title.

Peacewalker: Huey copied the leg designs from Granin, and Strangelove copied the AI's personality from The Boss. This was also as Zero was still active and working towards his flawed imitation of The Boss's ideals. Big Boss literally steals parts from other mechs to create his own walking battle tank, Zeke.

Phantom Pain: Venom himself is a "memetic clone" of Big Boss (as opposed to a genetic clone like the Snake triplets). Some (I think not all) parasite technology was copied from the corpses of the Cobra Unit. Skullface's unit is "XOF"; identical to the FOX Unit logo, but mirrored.

MG1&2: Don't know these well, but obvious: Weaponized a clone of Big Boss in order to kill Venom and (apparently not quite) kill Big Boss.

MGS1: Solid snake fights his evil twin. Genome soldiers are enhanced with the "Soldier gene" which was discovered through study of Big Boss's DNA. Liquid Snake eventually declares Shadow Moses to be "Outer Heaven". Game actually overtly ends with a speech about how the ideas you pass on are more important than your genes.

Sons of Liberty: The program is designed to turn Raiden into Solid Snake. He is commanded by a computer-generated copy of Colonel Campbell. Intentional or not, Solidus Snake copies Big Boss even more than Liquid does; Loses an eye; Declares Arsenal Gear to be "Outer Heaven" (if I recall). Dead Cell Unit intended to copy FOXHOUND unit from MGS1. Ocelot is taken over occasionally by a mental copy of Liquid Snake. Secret antagonist is a computer system designed to control the propagation of memes.

Guns of the Patriots: Ocelot completely transforms into a copy of Liquid. Declares his warship to be "Outer Haven". Patriot computers defeated by virus that copies FOXDIE (whatever that means). Ocelot's ultimate plan is to exploit the computer's lack of creativity in that it copies its OWN memes and uses Solid Snake as a FOXDIE vector, AGAIN. Two of the B&B fights (Mantis and Wolf) are semi-copies of the fights with FOXHOUND members that shared those codenames.

Misc/Meta: A scientist wets himself. A soldier has diarrhea. A cyborg ninja.

This ended up being a lot, and I probably still missed a lot.

Apparently they were ALL about memes!

Don't forget that the games themselves are copies/repurposing of themes and names and characters from other movies.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about this. It wasn't just the James Bond thing. MGS1's theme is literally copy/paste of the theme from "Speed", I think it was.

One very important one I forgot:

Guns of the Patriots: Probably this game's only actual thematic contribution to the series (as opposed to fan service and tying up loose ends) was the idea that Solid Snake was the guy who actually best copied the memes of The Boss. Its hard to figure how that happened, whether those memes were carried from Boss, to Big Boss, to Miller, then to Snake, but it happened.

There's a duality set up that Zero and Big Boss were acting on different interpretations of "The Boss's will" (This was retconned by Peacewalker's ending, but maybe it was just Eva's understanding). In contrast to Zero and BB, who had big, world-changing ideas, Snake's philosophy is printed on the patch on his chest: "TO LET THE WORLD BE".

In practice, Snake is somebody who embodies the idea that "The enemy and the mission are determined by the times", thus Snake is always fighting for the status quo (just like The Boss, who "Saved the World").
Incidentally, this works out better than expected in MGS4, because in spite of knowingly working to preserve the world under patriot control, you end up freeing it (so that the world can "Be" in an undominated state).

I like 4 more than most people.

The complaints are well-deserved, but I think 4 had some nice touches even beyond the tight gameplay.

I think in Snake's case it was that he was able to simply become that truly professional soldier that The Boss had tried to tell Naked Snake to be.
What BB and Zero had interpreted as "The Boss' Will" was really just trying to tell Naked Snake, and others, to just do their fucking jobs as soldiers.
That one should not worry about who are past or future allies compared to whatever the present mission calls far. When she says that some day even Russia may be an ally of the United States she's referring to how she saw the same fucking thing happen to Germany after WW2.

So Zero took that to mean that the world should be controlled so that war can stop.
BB took it to mean a professional soldier need to be tied to any one government…further compounded by his disillusionment with the U.S. government for what they did with The Boss.

Of course what happened here was that Zero's ideas and methods for control ironically spun wildly out of control and became their own entity that would eventually spawn far MORE war as a method of control. This of course was helped by the era of PMCs that Big Boss ended up creating with his no-nation professional fighting force and all the copy-cats that spawned from that. On top of that, each man became further entrenched and lost in their own demons.
Zero sunk back further and further into the shadows because of his need to hide and control things from afar.
BB became a literal warmonger because he just couldn't conceive of a world without war because that's really all he could ever be good at.

So why does Solid Snake end up the best? Well, its not that memes were copied on to him in some way that was passed down the line..its just that he never chased anybody's ideals. All SS did was do his job. Complete the mission. The only upset to this is that he never wanted to fight for the sake of fighting (like BB). Even though he was arguably one of the best to ever hit the field he would rather just not do it. He doesn't consider himself a hero and he recognizes its wrong for him to enjoy the fighting as much as he does.
Also, through his era he was the only one not concerned with Big Boss as a man to follow or even revere. His thoughts on the man were that he was a dirty traitor and it was good that he was dead. Liquid, Solidus, Liquid Ocelot…all willing to do HORRIBLE things in the name of following Big Boss.

Huh, that hadn't really occurred to me, how Zero and Big Boss's contributions to the world, being The Patriot system and the modern PMC, fused together to form "The War Economy".

you are retarded

In a way, "The War Economy" was born of what were truly their phantoms.

Well, that's the MGS5 term for it anyway. Otherwise known as their memes.