UK watchdog to crack down on gender stereotypes in adverts in Britain

Adverts depicting girls as ballerinas alongside boys as rock climbers are likely to become a thing of the past in Britain under new rules set out by the UK's advertising watchdog on Tuesday.

The Advertising Standards Authority, which plays a big role in regulating the industry in Britain, said it would take a harder line against adverts that feature common sexist stereotypes or which mock people who do not adopt typical gender roles.

The crackdown follows a barrage of complaints by British consumers about a 2015 campaign by Protein World for weight loss products which featured a bikini-clad model with the tag line "Are you beach body ready?"

A major review based on evidence from an independent study showed that some stereotypes could restrict the choices and opportunities of children and adults, the ASA said.

"Within the ad framework, a drip-drip feed of many ads featuring gender stereotypes for certain roles for boys and girls narrows people's views in terms of aspirations, what they can do and their role in society," said ASA senior media relations officer Matt Wilson.

"That's what we are trying address in our own specific way."

Previously, the ASA ruled against ads it deemed to promote objectification, inappropriate sexualization or unhealthy body ideals. The new standards will not ban all gender stereotypes, just those that could cause "potential harm."

Adverts simply featuring a woman cleaning or a man doing DIY projects would not be considered problematic. However, an ad featuring a woman as solely responsible for cleaning up a mess made by her family, or a man failing to complete a simple household task, would do, ASA said.

reuters.com/article/us-britain-adverts-idUSKBN1A31IO

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/27/fgm-should-not-prosecuted-police-force-says-claims-best-course/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sage

"a barage of complaints"

sure

Pathetic. Britian is long dead.
Eat a dick, OP.

Hmm….

Last image just reminds me of Swedish "Sweden belongs to the migrants."

Like, USA belongs to the Muslims and Mo'ham Meds

We all know gender stereotypes are the biggest problem Britain faces today.

vague rules will be used to instill ire against 'bad think' but advertising that ridicules and denigrates white people, males in particular, will be left alone and backlash is interpreted as being "angry", "whiny", or "fragile". I don't see how people take this liberal zeitgeist seriously anymore. It's emotionally abusive and resulting in a culture death as well as real genocide.

someone should photoshop a morbidly obese woman in between the text. i wonder if that'd be acceptable for the watchkikes?

HOW DARE YOU PROFANE THE IMAGE OF PELOR, THE SUN FATHER, THE SHINING ONE

How dare you profane the name of Shamash, the Morning Star, Saturn, the Bringer of Light, Lucifer, and the generative force of life Osiris with your degeneracy

heil
only wholesome regenerating propaganda

Nigger, he copy/pasted the article.

In other words, they are selectively banning advertisements that butthurt feministas and bag-heads find offensive.

Of course emasculating adverts, cuckold adverts, race mixing adverts, pro-fag and dyke adverts, booze adverts etc. will be A-OK.

Believing that they will burn for what they do is about all that keeps me going.

So they're essentially banning targeted, effective advertising. Brilliant move, Britain; this will surely encourage more commerce!

I'm all for neutering advertising, to be honest, but it's just funny to see Britain leading the way for all the wrong reasons.

Something should be done about them.
A large campaign of mockery and meme magic?

I never liked the 'it's just like 1984!' meme but this is literal Orwellian dystopia.

Meaningless term. A stereotype is neither 'sexist' or not, it is either true or false.

Why?

Someone is trying really hard to tell-and-not-show that that study is trustworthy. 'Based on evidence.' As opposed to what, based on fucking fiction?

1. So what?
2. Even if, it is absolutely negligible compared to the role of biology in terms of that same 'choices and opportunities'.

This makes no sense. Any depiction of anything whatsoever can be claimed to be 'objectification' because that term literally has no meaningful definition. This makes no more sense as an indictment than 'problematic'.

Circular definition. 'We only ban (= find bad) that which is inappropriate.'

Redefinition of health, so that depiction of a body which can run a good time, doesn't tire easily and suffers from no diseases can still be declared 'unhealthy' because 'looking at it causes discomfort'.

In fact, now that I briefly looked up those 'unhealthy body standards' online, I am surprised that I haven't seen anyone so far satirize education as 'promoting unrealistic ideals of intelligence and competence'.

(And by the way, watching thin fashion models can no more give a girl anorexia than watching a documentary on arithmetics can give someone OCD.)

1st post every time

These people need to be purged.

Ruth Smeeth is a jewish member of parliament by the way.

bump

I know that feel.

I don't think anyone would be surprised if female genital mutilation was legalized in that shithole by this point.

Those fiverr ads are so fucking awful. I remember seeing one with an obese neckbeard on it with a smirk on his face like he was some kind of hardass. It was fucking embarrassing.

It is legal. There has never been a conviction for it and government openly state that this is deliberate. It is only illegal in the same way that it is illegal for a Welshman to enter Chester before sunrise. It’s technically illegal but only because it is still in legal statue, it is not a law that is enforced.

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/27/fgm-should-not-prosecuted-police-force-says-claims-best-course/

Always with this wording, how does a "watchdog" group have any fucking authority over anything? And as always, it's ads that hurt feels, while ads that promote genocide and destruction of all that is good and pure are given free reign.

What's lost on these retards is that they are not the majority opinion. If you go to any beach anywhere, you'll see HUNDREDS of gorgeous bombshells who look just like that. They're just not vocal about it, because they're out having lives and being employed. They're not stuck at home on Twitter with legbeards and cake, complaining about billboards.
One thing I'm sure of is that this is all just PR, and nothing of substance will actually change. But if there is demonstrable change that begins to affect people, even in the United Cuckdom, women will speak up. CNN might not give them a voice, so it's our job to meme magic it.