The last real blockbuster

Has to be The Matrix right? I'm talking about movies that derived all their success from the 2 hours of screen time and nothing else.

Matrix didn't have famous novels, comicshit, starpower, nostalgia or a hype machine prior to its release. Oldfags will know what I'm talking about. That was genuine fanboi-ism, not the artificially created type you see today.

Previously there was Jurassic Park, and since then, maybe Interstellar. I can't think of too many others tbh

No, you're essentially a Holla Forums Holla Forums tier, now leave the cinema discussion to people who aren't predictable little fagbois

Nope I don't watch capeshit

Interstellar was hardly a major blockbuster. It was more like Oscar-bait.

Inception is a different story but it was sorta re-using the same beats as The Matrix to begin with.

Your age is showing.

Different user here, this was the first movie I ever saw

It was the SW of its time. Original material made by up and coming director(s), and a huge hit.

*blocks your path*

Does anybody even remember what happened in that movie?

But was it the first book you ever read? :)c

It sucks but it still counts by OP's definition given that it was an original IP and was the highest grossing film of all time, with short-lived but rabid fanbase like the guy who killed himself because he couldn't live on Pandora.

People talk about Avatar never. They talk about indie films more.

Inception

Jurassic Park is based on a best selling book.

This.

Avatar had a massive hype machine leading up because of muhgroundbreakingneweraofcinema bs

Short lived. Nothing like the Matrix adulation at the time.

Yeah but i doubt 95% of the audience would've known.

Choose one

This is what it looks like to go beyond full retard

basically any film or media in general isn't allowed to stand out
no one is allowed to be edgy enough to actually be popular or have a cult following
it's all diverse, it's all equal

Avatar did it. Was Titanic released before the Matrix? Cant remember. But I disagree with not including book translations to film, it's not like normalfags ever cared to read the Lord of the Rings before swarming the movies.

Yeah…nobody knew about Lord of the Ring, if you would live in a fucking ghetto.

Sometimes when a director has built themself into a brand, they're allowed to do new things. Nolan and Del Toro would be obvious examples.

How about no, you absolute pleb. It's also a rip-off of La Jetée.

Movies in the 90s were actually shit. The whole kit and kabootle, man. 91-99 BIG OLE TURD

It takes some visual cues, but it's actually not all that similar to GitS. They totally ripped off Blame! for the real world though.

No it didn't, it didn't have that aesthetic at all. I wish it did, that was the one good thing about Blame! after all.

The sentinels looked like they could be right out of Blame!

Nope La Jetée has nothing to do with Matrix, it inspired 12 Monkeys though.

World on a Wire?

If that were the case, the formula for picking bestsellers wouldn't be a closely guarded secret and it wouldn't be given out every week to a new shitty detective novel that you never hear any discussion of.

You will never shake off 300 generations of farmers in your DNA.

Yeah, but if it gets on the list, people get hyped about it whether they read it or not, just on name alone

Nolan was turned into a meme after TDK, after which point all his work was eagerly looked forward to

humans travel to nature loving planet. one of them becomes a nature lover. humans leave planet instead of killing everyone and taking their natural resources. moral of the story: nature is good

vietnam with blue vietcong as the good guys

YOU WEAR A CAPE

I miss Abatap.

Me too ;_;
He was fun to interact with.

So do I.

How did the two brothers that directed The matrix turn into tranny's?

fluoride in the water - and possibly chemtrails.

Also because it was directed by THE James Cameron, who previously directed Titanic, which was (in my opinion) the last true "epic movie" ever made, which won roughly ALL the fucking Academy Awards. This was starpower at its highest, long before the "company" or "franchise" took over the name on a movie's brand, and the director became largely meaningless.

The one thing that stands out to me the most about The Matrix hype was a poster I remember seeing in a movie theater, advertising The Matrix: Reloaded. Modern movie posters are a crowded mess of star's names, critic's reviews, faces and scenes plastered all over the place, bright flashy colors, and the name of the movie in huge print so you can't miss it.

This movie poster had none of those things. It was all black, with a single line of "Matrix Code" running down the middle, and ending with the date the movie would be released in theaters. Nothing else. That's all it took for us to understand; that's all it took for us to get excited. We didn't have to be spoonfed; there WAS no spoon.

They liked being dominated by a dominatrix, and she told them to have a sex change

they went too deep

No, the first weekend had a disappointing box office.

Matrix was a better movie and this is what counts.

I would say Aliens or Terminator 2.

Potter, the films were different from the books. Since then blockbusters have been especially shit.

As far as adaptations go, they're pretty close to the books. There are cuts made for time, obviously, but they're very true to the spirit.

Yea but you know how people meme that "le they aren't like the books!" Besides the 4th and 5th which were bricks and had a lot of fat you're right they follow them closely. And what matters more is they have the spirit and tone of the books. Which over time changed as well

Right. If you want to see an adaptation that takes big strides away from the book, watch Total Recall, or The Shining, or Stalker, or most things really. Harry Potter is about as on-point as they come.

Buckaroo Banzai…Best Movie Ever…

Dagon……Octopussy Woman … 8=====D~~~

Isn't this a "le epic reddit nerd" tier film? The kind of thing you'd only watch to prove how "nerdy" you are

Everyone I know that went to see avatar only saw it because they heard the new 3d shit was amazing. Thats the only reason I saw it as well. Thats what the movie reviewers were raving about, not the actual story just the tech.

Dances with wolves only with blue catpeople.

It also ripped off of Mega Zone 23 quite a bit.

Avatar probably counts, didn't really spawn a massive lasting fanbase though.

The oscars are a private company that awards its own distributed movies, not an actual evaluation of merit.

Yeah Aliens and T2 would fit the criteria. Titanic too (though not my cup of tea).

Avatar is debatable. Lead character is not charismatic and storyline is predictable from minute 1. People can marvel at the world, but are they really enjoying the adventure?

Ya know, I'm kinda surprised Titanic didn't sink on release considering everybody knows how it ends.

Titanic was released December '97. Matrix was March '99.