Playing Actraiser Again. God damn, it holds up so well. If you could speed parts of the Sim game...

Playing Actraiser Again. God damn, it holds up so well. If you could speed parts of the Sim game, & you had more control over your jumps in the platforming sections, it would be 10/10

Anyone else have fond memories of this title?

Other urls found in this thread:

comfy.moe/jwkaqk.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A shame Square will probably keep this as a dead franchise. The second game was fine but I liked the rpg/sim mix this one had. Funny though I was thinking about it all day today

I also never realized until recently that each town was a different world religion

Been meaning to get around to it sometime, but apparently there's a few different options for playing it, between the western release and an apparently harder Japanese one with an English translation. Not sure which is the better way to go or what all the differences between the two are.

definitely cop the symphonic soundtrack for this one, it's a beautiful thing.

I'm about half way through the Aeongenesis re-translation, it's not that much harder yet. You can just name yourself GOD in the english version & have half the game make more sense. I haven't noticed any real censorship between the two.

I do. Mostly because of the Fillmore/Filmoa music. It's pretty fun how a lot of Enix titles had to do with the end/rebirth of the world back then.

I can confirm the Japanese one is harder (more enemies and spikes) BUT the sim parts are so atrocious that it is not worth it. As OP said, the sim part could use some speeding up and the japaneese version is slower than the english version if you can believe it. That faggot gideon released a translation for the japanese version of ActRaiser if you want to try it for yourself. I couldn't keep going past the third zone because how slow the sim parts were. And I liked those.

I think it's BECAUSE they retranslated that the game got worse. There's more text to read, so it actually makes the Town textboxes longer.

Unless there's some really huge censorship I'm not aware of, I don't see much reason to go with the re-translation.

Now Terranigma, THAT could use a new translation.

So was the Japanese version being given a fan translation mainly to just let people that wanted to play a harder version in English do so, rather than the original western version having a poor quality official one?

the platforming is terribly simple and leaves a lot to be desired. It's mechanically simple, the designs are rarely creative, and it's a solidly made game but it's more like a solid 7/10.

It's not that great, but it's worth playing. There are much better sidescrolling platformers.

I've got that in my backlog. Didn't that come out after Enix US closed down? Had Enix EU or whatever that branch was not had a huge amount of experience actually translating games (the way in some cases, EU releases of games borrow an existing US translation and maybe tweak it for EU English spellings or something)?

How bad off is the official translation anyhow? Hopefully not BoF II - tier bad?

It's not bad, it's just not as wordy as it could be. You get the sense something was lost in translation sometimes, but it's still great.

nothing is BOF II tier bad but BOF II.

If you liked Act Raiser, Soul Blazer is a must.

The censorship on ActRaiser boils down to name changes because
The master is God and Zamra (or was it Zamsa?) is Satan.
Besides longer textboxes the town itself moved more slowly, the mobs had twice as much health but spawned four times more slowly than the english version. While you could think this makes it easier, you'd be wrong. Without mobs you can't harvest souls which are needed to get the town under construction. Those souls are also added to your MP gauge so you're basically always out of MP, camping a monster lair and hoping the cheeky bastard decides to come out.
The sidescrolling is harder, but the town part gets so slow it turns into a chore.

I'd say a bit of both.

comfy.moe/jwkaqk.zip
There's always the arcade version without the sim parts.

BoF II received that treatment because Capcom was both lazy and stupid. They told Squaresoft to please translate it because they couldn't be bothered with learning gaijin and Square agreed even though they were already under heavy stress working on the release of FFVI. Of course they couldn't put a lot of effort into it but maybe they just half assed it on purpose because they didn't want too much competition in the rpg market if they could avoid it.

Killing monsters increases the growth rate? I find that hard to believe because you can get max town size only after sealing 2 lairs.

Also does killing all the monsters in a lair manually do anything?

Yuzo Koshiro said in an interview that they had to rent a machine out for making sound on the Sony chips in the SNES because they costed thousands of fucking dollars.

In the jap version it does while the eng version just has the soul flying back to the temple as a cosmetic effect.
I killed all the monster in a lair of bats once to see what happened by holding the button to shoot on turbo while speeding up the game as fast as it could go. When the counter reaches zero it just stops them from spawning entirely. You still have to seal the lairs.

Very few things can hold a candle to the snes tracks made by a good composer.

Sounded like Sony was fishing for shekels with their Nintendo partnership.

When has Sony done something that wasn't intended to fish for shekels? But yeah, that price is kinda exorbitant. How was that allowed? Were all Snes tracks so decent because composers were desperately trying to make their game succeed in order to repay those costly rentals?

I thought Square had handled BoF I out here while BoF II was Capcom themselves.

So more of an issue with needing to trim the English script due to character/line limitations? I know some SFC/SNES games have since seen fan done variable width font patches to try to revolve some of those issues.

I play Act Raiser on MAME. Removes the shitty Sim part and makes the sidescrolling levels harder.

I could be mixing both up