During a recent livestream (via Dualshockers) with Yakuza producer Toshiro Nagoshi...

Goddammit, Sega. What the hell are you doing? I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of 2, but 3-5 are totally fine to just port over. Hopefully for mustards, a move to PS4 might make PC ports more of a possibility. Then again, who knows if they'll even come over to the West at all. Thoughts? Yakuza thread, I guess.

nichegamer.com/2016/08/03/sega-considering-ps4-remakes-yakuza-2-3-4-5/

We're in a timeline where D4 and EDF 4.1 not only got PC ports, but good PC ports. I don't think we need to be worried yet

That'd be nice but japs are terrible at porting shit.

But Yakuza is a good series with an awesome fanbase, why the hell do you want it to be destroyed?
Pcucks would turn it into a memefest and shit up the community completely, they've destroyed every single good community of all the series that had one while still on consoles.
Why the hell are you so intent on fucking up everything that is still good in this industry?

In case you're not baiting, I just want the series to do well. Call me a shill if you want, but I feel Yakuza deserves it. I don't even play that much on PC. Has any of that happened to EDF? I haven't kept up with it, but seeing how Yakuza is a solid single player experience, I doubt it'll go down that route.

What can you possibly do to remake 3-5? I can understand remaking Dead Souls because that game has way too much problems on top of technical issues, but the other games took a lot from what they learned over the first two games.

D4? You mean Dark Dreams Don't Die, that game made by the Deadly Premonition dev? As for EDF, I'm honestly surprised it had more effort compared to other Japanese games like Neptunia, where it took them until now to add in options besides changing resolution.

I would rather just see a good port of Yakuza 2 so people can actually fucking play the game.

Had that EVER done anything good for a niche series?
Ever?
How about all those times where a niche series went on PC, exploded, and the developers started catering to the lowest common denominator while the community became huge and filled with retards and dank meme addicts and shitposters?
Remember DeS?
Remember what happened to the souls community after DaS?

There's a difference. EDF seems to actually have a good community still, because that's less well known than the average From Soft game.

Meanwhile I doubt there's much memes that can be made from the Yakuza series.

Friendly reminder.

Wouldn't mind a remake of 2 or the PC ports of the games.

But why

Yeah, i know someone always posts this stupid shit every time, it doesn't really change that it's nothing but rationalization.
Anyone that was around for the DeS community knows the difference, this shit is just pcucks defending other pcucks.

Yakuza really doesn't get that many sales in the west. It's much, much less than you'd expect. Since its conception the series sold 7 million copies, with Yakuza 4 selling really poorly in both US and Europe.

Sega has been doing a pretty good job at porting stuff to PC, and it's clear they have some interest in the platform, and a bunch of their games actually managed to do fairly well on it.

I think it's not that crazy to think that the series might come to PC in the near future.

I was around back then user. In the early days yes, the community was good. It went to shit long, long before the PC port of Dark Souls. At the very latest I'd put it at the release and subsequent popularity of DS. The problem is not juvenile platform wars it's simply popularity in general. I can't think of a single community that wasn't ruined in some way by popularity with the possible exception of Serious Sam.

Mind explaining this one? I never thought Sam would gain much popularity

It's much more popular with the release of BFE, the HD editions of the original games and The Talos Principle but I haven't seen its fanbase decline yet. Possibly it is because the gameplay isn't casual enough for faggots and it doesn't have that pseduo-nerd credit like Doom etc. Uncompromising gameplay without the ability to boast about having played the game puts faggots off in my experience.

Still there's time yet. It only needs one of the youtuber cunts to play it and call it great for it all to go to shit.

3 is a butchered mess in the West.

I just want Sega to do more ports and remakes that aren't Sonic shit. Valkyria Chronicles sold about 854,000 according to Steamspy, with that having about 558,487 owners meaning people that played it, thanks to sales I'm sure.

Compare that with Sonic Lost World, which has 113,623 owners and 40k people that actually played their copy. Of course Steamspy isn't 100% accurate I hear, but the point I'm trying to make is that the Yakuza series, and most other Sega IPs in general, can get a lot more die hard support instead of relying on Sonic which is an series not a lot of people care for thanks to its occasional shit releases.

I wouldn't call it a mess, but the removed content is really annoying.

That's the one fucking thing I want out of SEGA.

Well they did talk about considering more PC ports some months ago but so far I've yet to see anything pop up thats not Sonic related.

That news was announced in January I think, and outside of them giving away games like Binary Domain and Condemned for free I don't know if anything ever came of that.

Yakuza 5 is among the PS+ "free" games for August so I took the chance to give the series a try. It's fun but rather overwhelming in every regard; there's a lot of stuff to do and I feel I'll never figure it all out (doesn't help that I'm horrible at rhythm games).
Game is reminding me a lot of Shenmue and I'm kinda whipping myself for not taking the chance and get into it earlier.
So far, my biggest criticism is being unable to place custom markers on the map but I think I'll find my bearings and the pachinko, 1 attempt and I immediately knew I'd never want to play this shit again (doesn't help I had no fuckin' clue of what was going on).
Anyway, any pointers for a newcomer? Particularly for combat (I mostly dropkick and grab a lot, to scatter crowds).

I love this series, but I don't know where to buy the games so that they won't cost me $100 for the ones i'm missing.

Yakuza 3 is definitely not fine. I can't believe it also has dlc that you can't even obtain anymore.

I have all of them except for the Japanese releases and Yakuza 2 since that goes for $100+ these days. I think all in all the games cost me around a total of $60. I'm going to hold off for news for a Y2 remake or PS4 port, but if I ever see a cheaper copy, I'm going for it. Which ones are you missing?

My suggestion would be to not start with the 5th game in a series.

But if you buy ps+ for a month, do you get to keep yakuza 5 once the sub runs out?

I would love this and hate it.
Would the remakes come with all the DLC and would Y3 have all the shit that was removed from the Western version?

bump