Ex-Bethesda employee talks about Fallout 3 backlash

Not as Cancerous as I expected but still fuck them.

Disappointed.

I agree with him, lots of people hate shit long before they see it. What he doesn't mention is that those people are concerned based on the publishers / devs previous work.

As for "nostalgia is king in vidya" I don't think it's any different from movies and TV in that many people prefer the original over re-makes tweaked to cater to a different audience.

ftfy

I heard someone shipped a box of bottlecaps to Bethesda. He probably forgot the TNT.

I saved it as a joke, what isn't funny is that someone here actually used it here while defending FO4.

Its not. Same thing with music.

You'll still have people who prefer to listen to Michael Jackson's original songs as opposed to the remixes that either miss the point of the song or shits all over him

Bethesda is a Cancer to everything. Bethesdrones' stupidity shouldn't be doubted.

Jesus Christ

Let me guess: Bethesda is a guy boi dat dindu nufin wrong and rpgcodex are a bunch of misogyterrorist nerds?

That's about the only sensible thing he said and lo and behold when he said that , that one trying to earn goo goy points and saying he backed System Shock Remake without even playing the original just because it's System Shock and somebody told him to

Nostalgia is the new hook for the tripple Ayyyys to prop up old franchises they had previously left to rot and play Weekend at Bernie's with their corpse in order to achieve payday

The world could end right now for all I care.

What the flying fuck is this shit?

Those are shills and skinwalkers, i can tell.

Be careful what you go spouting off, boy. There's more danger there than any man should know.

Holy fuck, he talks like he's got a dick up his ass!

FACT: The only games that can be considered "Fallout games" are F1, 2, Tactics and New Vegas.

3 and 4 are such a departure from the series and have stories that have a complete disconnect from the rest of the series in terms of story, they I cant consider them "fallout" games. Even though New Vegas went the route of 3 in terms of gameplay, theres still enough connection to 1 and 2, that it still actually feels like a sequal rather than just apeing off some of the names of the previous games in the series.

More like a million cocks in his mouth.

The funny thing is New Vegas just needed tiny tweaks of FO3's gameplay to fix it.

Nostalgia is king because these corperations have proven time and time again they have no idea what makes things popular to begin with, and have no problem shitting on the original fans in their attempt to parley brand recognition into wider appeal.

Nostalgia is a function of people liking something. The people that like the original work are the ones that make it popular, they have conventions to celebrate it, they dress up as characters from it, they learn the made up languages only hinted at in the source material.

Then a corperation that has at best severely spurious ties to the original work gets a hold of it, and realising this thing is part of pop culture (because of the original fans) decides they don't need to appeal to the original fans, and instead water it down for mass appeal, often losing the qualities that drew people to it in the beginning.

This is why thingsd becoming popular with casuals is a bad thing. Because it's the first step towards it being shat upon.

The worst thing is that because of extremely restricctive IP laws and the erosion of public domain further enjoyment of the original work is contingent upon the buisnessmen who don't care about it being able to make money of it. Which means either you are stuck with something that has nothing to do with the orignal work beyond the names and set dressing (Star Trek reboot) or it'll get a terrible new version that dies on the vine and ensures the property will languish on a shelf for another few decades (Ghostbusters).

Nostalgia is king for the producers because it's free advertising. Make a ghostbusters film and people who have never seen ghostbusters will google it and see "oh it's got 90% positive ratings." Theyll ask their friends and family who have seen the original and will get rave reviews.

He considered the possibility GotY awards are bullshit but his fangoy brain couldn't accept that Bethesda are hacks.

At least the guy in OP didn't go all historical revisionist like the fans.

Did she get any shit for that? It's the most retarded thing ever.

Daily reminder

While I'm here, too:
They turned the GECK into a genesis device from Star Trek because they couldn't get past the Temple of Trials.

Flood detected?

Are these people fucking blind?
But there is a seam every time you open a door, in the form of a loading screen.

Where? Textures are bad, graphics in general are bad, they clearly paid very little attention to quests and other plot.

what

Fuck off drone

Bethesda Softworks =/= Bethesda Game Studios

You can bitch and moan all you want to about it being oblivion with guns but when it comes down to it, story-wise it picks up where Fallout 2 left off and has a cohesive narrative rather than being generic as fuck post-apocolyptic themepark ride with Fallout names.

Well that's nice, but I think what you mean to establish is a dichotomy between Zenimax Media Incorporated and their subsidiary Bethesda Game Studios, and at that without much of a goal in mind. Here are three more images to my goal of making it be known that you should never, ever give Zenimax any of your money, by way of their subsidiaries or otherwise.

It's not really nostalgia though.

I started gaming in 1998. Videogames really were different back then.

Developers still had souls, there wasn't this huge billion dollar industry yet.

Casuals didn't exist yet, everyone was a basement dwelling nerd. At least on PC.

A lot of devs from back then all went bankrupt when games became more expensive to make and market.

Funny you should post images of devs that went bankrupt in the "golden age". Also, there were already corporate suits in vidya by 1998.

Looking Glass and Ion Storm both went bankrupt because they didn't know how to manage projects of the ambition they suddenly had. There were delays, cost overruns and general mismanagement which caused them to go into bankruptcy. It wasn't down to some magical market event that suddenyl fucked things up for them. They were just much better at programming and designing than they were at the money stuff.

They went bankrupt because they wanted to make good games.

Guess what: making a good game doesn't pay the bills.

Yep. Nowadays it's all about the money. Hence all the pay2win shit.

Skinwalkers are a myth

Sometimes dead is better.

"That piece of trash over there has a label I'm familiar with."

What, was he looking at a copy of the game when he said this? I know I was.

A good game pays the bills. Look at old Blizzard games, people are still buying SC, D1/2 and WC1/2/3 regularly. I remember seeing a chart a few years ago that showed either WC3 or D2 being one of the top10 or top20 selling games of the year. From something like 2010.

People still buy BG1/2, IWD1/2, PS:T. Hell, I've never played it and never will, but I'm fairly certain people will still be buying Minecraft in 10 years unless something comes along and completely dethrones it.

Good games are forever. But making a good game takes time, money, management, and for a company to stay afloat while making good games, the people in charge need to be good with money.

Good to see someone actually do it right for once.

I don't get it. Fallout 3 was the best in the franchise. I haven't played Fallouts 1 or 2, but that's because they have no appeal. And if they have no appeal for me, a Fallout lover, they won't have any appeal to the mass market, therefore they are failures when it comes to the corporate version of "success".

Why can't you people realize graphics are important? No one wants to play some crappy, dark, dull low-resolution 2.5D eyesore.

wew, a good one

Well it's true for them when you consider Fallout 4 is the first game in the series they've played

Too bad New Vegas is forever dreg down by that shitstain of an engine that is gamebyro

There's a reason why the video game crash of 1983 happened

If so, then Half-Life, C&C, and all the other classics might as well be some codemonkey's pet project
but no it wasn't, it made profit, forever regarded as good, and the games went on to carry the developer's name to higher bounds
Shitty devs have been around since the first generation of vidya, although back then it wasn't all that apparent because games that weren't enjoyable will be forgotten quick (or long enough until the brand appeal wears off)

I still play my old games, even on emulators. I know damn well the flaws of my favorite vidya. it ain't no nostalgia boy. Devs are just shit in the AAA and they've more or less shit their pants and went retarded every time something comes up that completely threw a curveball on their expectations like how half the people who bought their stuff don't even get past the beginning of a game is why they railroad you through everything whenever possible and the idea you'll never see something terrifies them despite the fact you already paid for it. Complexity being dumbed down is because they fail to grasp that each game and franchise is itself it's own market while still being the same vidya market Assfaggots don't play anything but League of Legends and they'll rarely branch out even when they do it's other Defender of the Ancients style games that they get bored of quickly before going back to League of Legends again because that is what they want; mobile games demand simplicity and the people playing mobile games don't even consider themselves gamers and their demographics completely fucks the scale when included in statistics.

I didn't want to give a guy that called FO4 "a near perfect game" views.

Quality not quantity user

This guy sounds passionate and genuine, believe me when i say it, you immediately notice that you couldn't buy him.
Plus, Zenimax would never bow to such shady practice.

There is a reason why they don't make games anymore user.

Here is the full thing in one webm. Audio only.

Sometimes I wish I was retarded so I could find pleasure and fun in everything but then I remember how good being not retarded is.

If "nostalgia is king" why did they make Fallout 3's premise identical to Fallout 1 and take so many concepts like Super Mutants and Brotherhood of Steel and haphazardly throw them into the game without any of them making sense?

He's just looking for excuses as to why the fans didn't like it and he's blaming them and claiming they expected too much. When they got exactly what they wanted 2 years later from Obsidian. Who didn't condescendingly insult the fanbase.

Additionally, one trait all of the good Fallout games shared was they tried something different.

Fallout 2 for instance took place after a lot of time had changed the Wasteland. And things were legitimately different. Your enemies were different, the location was different, the money was different. Even the interplay between mutants was different with how Marcus setup a town devoted to cooperation between mutants and humans.

In New Vegas they had Caesar's Legion which was a legitimately new organization as well as all of the more unique locations in the DLC.

The point is there are so many new directions one can take the series in but the one thing Bethesda seems to never want to do is actually try something new in the series. Both Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 rehash the original game and each other brazenly and it comes across as just not having that much faith in the product to try something new.

These people interviewing him are fucking scum.

Casual trash. I bet not a single one of them have played any Fallout prior to 3.

Majora's Mask 3ds lighting changes weren't that bad actually. It wasn't as dark as the n64 but it didn't feel out of place.

I hate to make excuses but i bet the lighting was changed because the 3ds screen is so small.

I guess this is what you would call a Fallout from Fallout. A Fallout Fallout.

Realistically speaking, I don't know how anyone can call a video game "perfect".

I started gaming (with shit that isn't Pokemon or the occasional flash game) in 2011 and over time I've gone back to play OG shit like DOOM, Morrowind, and Fallout 1/2, and I absolutely agree with you. I think that those games are significantly better than their most recent incarnations and that can't be nostalgia talking because I played Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 before ever touching the previous games. New Vegas is better than 1 and 2 though.

no I am not underageb&, I just didn't get the appeal of videogames over movies.

I also have the opposite opinion on the film industry, while it's true that current year big budget movies are shit, that has been the case for a very long time for the most part. The rise of Indie and foreign movies are the reasons why I think the film industry is better than it has ever been, at least in terms of how many good movies come out per year. That plus audio and camera quality has come a very long way over time.

I'd argue that the whole focus on synths is something quite new to Fallout, with the problem being that the concept of robots that can almost perfectly act human is fucking retarded in a universe where microchips barely became a thing and why the fuck would the Institute waste so much time and resources making this when they could use that insanely complicated technology to make something that is actually useful. And something that both 3 and 4 bring to the table is that they take place on the East coast, where as all the others are in the same general area in the West coast. I'm not trying to say that they're good games, but I think it would just be more accurate to say that all of the Fallout games bring something new to the table, whether they be shit or not.

The fuck are you talking about, although Gyorg just looks like a plain giant fish the darkness plus underwater obscured him making him difficult to clearly make out in the middle of the fight and made the surprise standout more which made him a scarier and memorial opponent then the left both making him significantly less scarier despite looking more menacing in his new redesign and adding that stupid glowing eye in his mouth.

Rainbow unicorn fish is much more distinct then generic monster fish.

the call of Cthulhu one always get me.

It's more an issue of synths being retarded in a universe in which the questions that the plotline raises have already long since been addressed and trivialized for the sake of gallows humor and design aesthetic. We're talking about a world in which organic brains have long since been scooped out of their organic husks and used to power utilitarian robots, and where high-end cybernetics are so commonplace that you can buy upgrades at the local clinic - and even the BoS hands out cybernetic augments to certain useful wastelanders. The whole border between man and machine has long since breeches and become passe in Fallout - yet FO4 treats the topic as if it's some fresh new territory for the series to explore.

The error could ALMOST be forgiven if they had at least treated the subject matter in a new way, provided some new or interesting insight… but no, it just weakly throws the premises out there and handles them in the basest and most generic manner possible - not realizing that franchises like Deus Ex and Ghost in the Shell have been exploring these kinds of topics for DECADES now.

It requires the person be completely blinded by marketing / fanboyism.
Any rational person can list plenty of faults with their favorite games and doesn't get butt blasted when others raise these issues.

Can't agree more with you user. It's a shame no one can buy out the Elder Scrolls from the clutches of Zenimax and make good games with it, it's a really good series as far as lore goes.

Everything and including Morrowind was great but then they seemed to loose everyone that cared about vidya and only kept businessmen determined to extract as much cash from the market as possible.

I'm hoping OpenMW leads to new mods and maybe even overhaul mods.

Same. There is a community of people, some ex-Bethesda, who are making stories and the such set in the lore, but the problem is, they're not very good at it and they never focus on the more interesting things, it's always CHIM, Michael Kirkbride's stuff, etc. I'm thinking about getting people together when OpenMW CS is complete to make a Total Conversion fangame, maybe even a series of fangames, but it's a pretty ambitious idea and I doubt I'll pull it off.

Jesus Christ this is horrifying, I actually like the game and was just playing it a couple minutes ago but there is an absurd number of things wrong with it, with the most obvious ones being the hilariously awful writing which cannot be fixed by mods. The vanilla game is genuinely terrible with shit like voiced protag, no saving in survival mode, bland visuals, and the "build variety" of something like Far Cry 3 (by which I mean it's just a bunch of perks that emulate the surface elements of rpg mechanics but don't actually give you varied characters). Some of these are improved quite a bit with mods though, but my point is that they are gigantic problems in the base game and I don't see how anyone could come to the conclusion that they are insignificant enough for the game to be considered "near perfect"

I wonder if OpenMW would eventually lead to a fork that works for FO:NV.

Probably, from FO3 fangoyim. The idiot that wrote this article was in such a hurry to suck Bethesda's dick.

That's definitely a possibility given that projects like "Morroblivion" and "Tale of Two Wastelands" worked out pretty well without their own custom engine and a lot less community effort behind them. However, there is also less demand for FNV in a new engine since Morrowind's editor is notoriously useless (can't even add new skills) and it's an older game in general.

I think it's certainly something that might happen in the next 10 years (especially if Bethesda continues to make shitty Fallout games that piss off fans while keeping interest in the franchise), but I wouldn't expect it until there is a lot of demand for it. Just look at how many times people have tried to remake Morrowind before to see that there is huge demand for this (Morroblivion and Skywind, also to any interested in Skywind kys fam it will be 100% shit guaranteed, assuming it even gets finished).

Remember Bethesda kept pushing this destiny bullshit and made a vampire story with ayy lmaos.

I was hoping that people will make tons of games in Bethesda's style that are superior to Bethesda's titles.

Bethesda knows people are losing trust in their vision of Fallout. Look at Nuka-World. Who thinks this is a good idea? They know that can't make a completely new thing that is parody of image 2 in Florida which would have been interesting because they know that they need to connect it to previous Fallout lore.

That just gave me a thought. They're the same engine, and similar enough for the TES with guns / Fallout with swords comments to be not unwarranted. Would it be possible to make something like TTW that merges one of the TES games with a Fallout game?

I also hate how he said
as if Bethesda has proven to understand what makes Fallout Fallout.

Then you have fags like this who only research as far his internal narrative allows it. This faggot acts like Fallout always has been a Bethesda title.

I would prefer if they had sent the bomb then but I wouldn't complain if they sent one right now.

How'd Todd change his voice.

Most got murdered.

Timesplitters Rewind never ever.

Image related is the reason AAA video games are all the same. Fuck you, CyborgShill.

This nigger is serious isn't he? Do these fucking people only play AAA schlock? I could understand this reasoning if the only games they have ever played is fucking CoD and Borderlands.

You'll not be surprised how many Bethesdrones called detractors of FO4 CoD fanboys.

Nobody who makes online threats ever delivers.

If you were genuinely going to hurt someone, you wouldnt advertise the fact on the internet beforehand that is just moronic.

Optimism and despair can co-exist in the form of delusion.

Yeah, I'm not reading that shit.

I came here to shitpost about video games not think deep thoughts.

Whoever threatened American McGee's sister certainly seems to have delivered. She's dead now.

What the?!?

Wew lad. I always knew Bethesda was shit but I didn't know how deep the rabbit hole went.

So going by the numbers Overwatch is half as successful as Diablo 3 was?

…Yep.

She went missing a while ago and American McGee ended up hiring a PI to investigate since cops were dragging their feet. PI investigated last place she was could have been and found a lot of blood. Body never found. Culprit not found either. Technically she's still missing, but it's pretty certain she's dead now.

Wow.

I remember the scandal about her going missing but I never thought the SJWs had actually gone through with it.

You have no idea how stupid people are these days.

All the real talent has left Bethesda.

His entire number defended a premise without any examples or facts. How the hell do you mount a defense on nothing but opinion?