Why did the sequel feel like such shit compared to the original...

Why did the sequel feel like such shit compared to the original? Nothing felt like it was genuinely intense during the battles and the enemies were only slightly annoying.

The turn-based combat was still there, but the base building elements left over from the first… just didn't do what the first did. Sure, they're annoying as fuck but at the very least the original Xcom actually made it feel like it was worth your time to do research and develop new technology.
This time around, it feels more like a chore that doesn't offer anything but progression in the story.

As our resident weeb- and MMO-community will assure you, pointless busywork is an important part of good gamedesign user.

"Original" was shit too. Play some real Xcoms. Or fallout tactics. I fucking love fallout tactics. It should have been its own game.

Nigga, channels are originally built by and for autistic grind-loving weebs. If you don't like it. why are you even here? Do you want me to start shooting my smug anime girls at you?

Atmosphere was nowhere near as good. The scale felt smaller. I liked trying to manage the panic of the entire planet

The avatar project idea could have worked but they shouldn't have reduced the scale to a small ship with less building space.. it's the sequel, make it bigger, make multiple bases not less.

I didn't like the whole gorilla thing as a story element compared to Enemy Unknown (I never played the originals, deal with it)

The enemies weren't as interesting..

Everything was too fast. You either kill all enemies or take too much damage. There wasn't a comfy medium allowing for tactics.

The turn timers are annoying being on every mission. They weren't really a problem for me, just irritating

DIVERSE CHARACTERS replacing characters designed with an artistic vision that wasn't "Make a nigger and a chink"

The overworld isn't as complex or interesting as it could be

item mods are kind of unsatisfying

I didn't super care for the classes

Mods fix some of this stuff, I've actually been playing through. But it's just no enemy within.

the game still runs like shit months after "patchs' i have a overclocked GTX 1080 and i7 6700 shit still dips to 20 fps constantly in gameplay

like the other user said the game isn't a good tactics game its trying to be a mix of a lot of shit and it fails at almost every thing it tries to be. like remember they kept showing the "new ambush feature" to ambush someone you need to waste 2 turns. its pointless to do it when you have a 8 turn limit before game over. they kept showing you "something new for you to do in this game" the penalize you for doing it.

there too mush radom shit ,you get "bad maps every now and then were you are asked to use 8 turns to go five blocks down a street .

The main issue I have is that the game loses its focus the more you play, it stops being about tactics and flanks and more about using your characters overpowered abilities to beat the game in its own rules.

The last fight is a perfect example of this. You have to defeat 3 avatars while the game dumps more enemies into the field faster than you can kill them, avatars are already a pain in the ass since they don't follow the games rules, every time you attack they can move to another location, not as bad as the Viper King bullshit, but still bullshit.

Since killing the avatars ends the fight your best bet to survive is to kill the avatars as fast as you can, and you do this by ignoring all the other enemies and using your operators overpowered abilities to do so, tactics and though just go away and you end up just rushing everyone to an Avatar and hope that he doesn't run off your line-of-sight.

It starts off good with a big emphasis on flanking, but the longer it goes and since cover doesn't mean shit in this game, It doesn't even cancels critical hits if you're in full cover your best bet at all times is to bombard everything until it's dead right from the get go.

Also Untouchable is broken and doesn't trigger sometimes when it obviously should, great job devs.

That's not saying much. Play something better than Console X-COM

None of their promises and grand ideas were actually implemented.

The devs have mistaken the "lol RNG so hard that's XCOM baby xD" meme for good design.

Looks like you got lost on your way to reddit/cuckchan

You forgot:

Because it was released completely unfinished. I actually like nucom but this one was literally broken on launch, and still doesn't work the way it should. Mods can fix a lot of the glaring problems - the nonstop talking heads who are so unbelievably annoying, the constant taking you out of the action to explain how to do this mission you've already done twelve times, the ridiculous time limits, etc - but fundamentally it needed like another six months of work and a hell of a lot more thought

That feels like what they had in mind when they added the alien rulers.

The Guerilla War mod is pretty nice, and shaping up to be XCOM2's Long War.
There's a ton of changes designed to make it feel like you're actually managing a rag-tag guerilla force against overwhelming odds, and all of the changes are brilliant.
A few quick examples:

It finally breathes some tactics and strategy into a game that was streamlined to the point that it almost played itself.
If it keeps improving like this, then it'll be another Long War situation where there's no reason to ever play the base game again.

Source on song, please?

But TLW is awful

Almost forgot:
It gets real intense real fast, and you don't have to bother with saving an arbitrary number of individual civilians.

Long War's air game is awful. Godawful.
The rest of it is pretty fucking great. All of the classes are useful, the MEC diversity is fantastic, and the Not So Long War second wave option exists for casuals who don't have what it takes to earn their victory.
I can see why people don't like it, but those people just don't know how to have fun the right way.

Basically this is what made it less fun then the original. Most missions would require perfection mid to end game since their were more enemies but the timer never changed. Plus some enemies could take a soldier out of the battle in one go (looking at lancers). What annoyed me the most in this game compared to the others is that the ship required travel time to begin scanning something and even though it was a flying ship the whole airship battles were completely removed.

Also all of this post

Yes, user. They need to stop having fun wrong. There's only one correct way to have fun, because fun is an objectively measurable substance rather than a subjective concept.

see

specifically:

When something crucial to make a game playable is fucked up the entire mod becomes shit. this is why all mount and blade mods are shit.

I disagree. By that logic, every video game is shit, because I can find a critical flaw in any game ever made.
Long War isn't perfect by any stretch, and it is badly hobbled by that overly imbalanced air game, but the other 95% of the mod is, at the very least, a drastic improvement over vanilla in virtually every way.

You can fix the air game easily enough by tweaking a couple of ini entries, by the way. There's also a "cinematic air combat" second wave option that makes it piss easy, specifically for people who whine "but i don't want to edit ini files".

So you're just retarded, then?

Ftfy :^)