Did Tomm Hulett really love Silent Hill more than everyone...

Did Tomm Hulett really love Silent Hill more than everyone? So much that he thinks 10-20 years from now people will examine Downpour and SMs themes in spite of its "hostile fanbase"?

Why was he even given the reigns to the series, he seemed like a nobody.

Silent Hill thread? Or games like Silent Hill thread as well

Also how is 3? I've only played 1, 2, and 4.

Other urls found in this thread:

unseen64.net/2008/04/05/mytrhi-gbc-cancelled/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can I just say I fucking
L O V E
Silent Hill 2. I bought it this year for my PS2 and holy shit the atmosphere of this game is perfect, I don't think I've ever been as entranced by a game before.

3's good closure for the first game, the way the game progresses is much more linear though.

That's what I took away from it too.

1 > 3 > 2 > 4 >>>> Origin > dogshit > the rest

Honorable mention goes to Siren 1&2, which I like almost as much as the first Silent Hill.

SH3 is pretty good.

3 is my favorite. Easy to emulate with increased resolution because there are no FMVs in-game. Improved voice acting and good characters. How is 4?

3 is on PC nigga

I have thought about it for a long time why did Tomm Hulett get the job as a producer, the obvious reason was Konami annexed Team Sillent when 4 came and did really bad in sales. At the time since there where so many survival horror games coming on just playstation 2.

Also outsourcing is more profitable than keeping a team in-house and only having a producer that is a part of the larger Konami team, so it made perfect sense until when bad decision after bad decision was made.

Also I do believe that Tomm Hulett did not really care for the series at-all, it was a nice paycheck for him, after all Team Silent are not as big of a wow factor as Kojima is, so when Kojima did not work on any of the MGS games people bitch about them being bad in quality and sales showed it clearly.

Since he has had his name on the boxart for every game he has made. That was maybe Team Silent big mistake not having their name on the boxart as an attentionwhore, only in the credits.

For me Team Silent Silent Hill is a cautionary tale of what not to do, if one is a game director and one chose the wrong producer. Since one of the dudes was more or less Silent Hill.

Also the dude that made the first one got a lucrative job at SIE with the Siren series only later to be annexed for Gravity Daze.
Its kinda depressing there is almost no more survival horror games. I want to blame RE4 but at-least it brought a fresh-light into the genre but overall it fucked with it more than it should have.

So now we just wait patiently for The Evil Within 2.

Shattered memories is a good game

That was also the reaction I had, but I was both entranced and terrified. I still love SH2 the best even after going through 1-4 earlier this year. The music was definitely one of the things I enjoyed the most about it. If I were ever to make a game, SH2 would be my primary inspiration I'm regards to atmosphere and design.

Fucking weird that Konami would just give this guy the keys to silent hill when he hasn't ever successfully made a game in his fucking life.

unseen64.net/2008/04/05/mytrhi-gbc-cancelled/

I assume Tomm Hulett doesn't have any control on Shantae, right?

James> Manakins and straightjackets
Angela> Coffee table monsters
Eddie> The same dead man found all over town.
Maria [The traitor] > Pyramid Head

Why would The Evil Within 2 be a survival horror when the first one wasn't?

He's right about that voice acting being shit.

Twin Perfect time

You mean the actual story of SH?

Or you think SH is just a meaningless nightmare city that attempts to show people the error of their ways? Fuck off.

what do you mean Mr. Lucky Seven?

The game had its moments, but sadly you can only go so far once you've settled on enemies being in certain zones only

The cult shit became to be when a bunch of religious nutjobs had their twisted psyches manifest in reality.

By twisting the power from the sacred place, yes, that doesn't make it a purgatory either, I think too many people got very confused with SH2 since they got no exposition as to why the character's thoughts manifested in that game, another misconception is people thinking the town "summons its victims" when in fact, they were there by coincidence.

Shantae was made before he got to the company. He MIGHT have something to do with the new ones.

That one dlc tried to be more surivival horror. The final boss was a slender man looking guy.

it was the closets to a survival horror from Japan at-least. Plus there is no other team from Japan that tries to make a traditional survival horror game the ones that made traditional horror games either have left to do something else or are stationed at some other jobs.

So I've put some faith in him since he was the one that change the genre in the first place. Even with the flaws of The Evil Within it was still a good game. Not a good horror game since everything was either hur jump scare or look at the American style horror we tried to copy.

But one thing he should have some credit for he did at-least follow his own word when he said he made a horror game with little ammo, it was far less ammo in the harder difficulties than it was in Dead Space.

Plus when Gravity Daze 2 comes how likely is it that team Siren will make a Siren game? I believe its unlikely, the Siren ps3 game sold like shit obviously since the confusing marketing and being ahead of its early ps3 time with episodic content.

So when you bought the game you got all the episodes. and at first it was a Download only thing later to be a disc game in Europe at-least but there was little to no marketing and since it was an old survival horror game in a sense, it was panned by journalists. Even when the same journalists said it was unsettling and scawy.

Later I saw something that rustled my jimmies beyond belief, it was gamespot and no other. Had an Australian chick that sits in front of a cam and plays horror games, she said "it was one of the scariest game, I've played" that rustled my jimmies.

The obvious problem is that survival horror games are not seen as a viable market. But shit somewhat changed with some indie games and with Alien Isolation even The Evil Within.

Something confuses me about Tomm. He clearly cared with Contra 4, he cared enough to not make Homecoming a trilogy with super saiyan final battle, why didnt he care about making all later SH games similar to Origins?

At least it would still feel the same instead of making something different and slapping the name on it. Like that dungeon crawler spinoff considered canon storywise and Tomm getting upset about it and saying "Look around SH fans, it really is just you"

He did not care about SH with story and lore. Its quite obvious when you see him argue with his games he was more interested in trying to get a new crowd, not the SH fans. They kinda knew that SH had fans so they tried to bring the both of the crowds by saying it was canon and so on.

After all he was a producer and his favorite game in the series is SH2, its a great game obviously since most people has it in their top10 lists. But the big problem is SH2 is a one trick pony in many ways, when you execute the amnesia story there has to be something more and just as interesting later, what will the character do later when he discovers the truth and so on.

That is what Tomm did not get with the SH games he produced, he thought the games where supposed to be confusing, not that they where confusing after first playtrough and later playtrough of the game you get the larger picture of the story in the game.

That is what might have doomed Tomm, he probably never saw a J-horror or an Asian extreme, which has the same concept of follow the smallest shit in a scene and re-watch. Get the full picture of the story. Since most is not told to you, its rather shown so you get the full picture of the movie.

We're not getting the full picture. As soon as Downpour failed miserably and the HD Collection was a debacle, everything was considered Hullett's fault. How much of that is true, though? We're talking about a company that fired Kojima and went into pachinko for fuck sake. There's nothing really out there (other than Hullett's own words), but the idea that Konami acted batshit retarded and mismanaged the IP is not a stretch at all. They could have easily thrown Hullett under the bus as well. Whenever you talk about the modern direction of SH it's always "Hullett this, Hullett that" but never Konami.

It's such a shame 0rigins and Shattered Memories don't seem to get the praise and criticism they rightfully deserve.

I disagree. He tried to salvage Homecoming's retardation, SM doesn't work without the direct connections to previous games, and there's too much in there to be considered soulless. It could very well be true that there's an entirely different huge lore buff on the dev team, but we'll just never know.

SM I kinda liked. But as for Hulett taking blame, its because hes producer so most people see him as one of the series' higher ups. We barely have any info on Konami's involvement besides maybe picking a dev at random for the HD collection.

Maybe thats what doomed the western SH games, trying to copy SH2 and not understanding J Horror. Though I hear even then SH was J Horror but viewed through a western setting.

Then you don't like Silent Hill, you just like Silent Hill 2. And you don't even like Silent Hill 2, you like whatever weird misinterpretation of it ignores all of the occult elements.

I think you're the nigga, user

Care to elaborate ? What is the difference ?

For your point on the Hullett situation its because he is a producer, meaning he can go and tell a team even with the director that has to be cut or re-arrange that to something else.

Its not a huge role as lets say a director but its big enough for him to make influences. On a dev team that is outsourced to do the work for said company. Also its a sign that Konami did not care enough with video games in the end. Now there are too many risks to be considered market viable, kinda why you see some of the Jap devs either work exclusive(like capcom) or small(like square enix with some games).

So since he was the producer on a series meaning he was the know-how guy on Silent Hill. Plus the games you mentioned got praise from critics or SM at-least did, I believe origins also got some praise.
But the problem I had with the games was the whole it did not feel like an old Silent Hill game, it sounded like one. That's why Downpour feels like western trash that copies SH2.

Also would like to add that the interesting thing with the whole Silent Hill thing, was it became a dead series in the end either from allot of the same or because of lack in quality in the end. But Kojima came and got fired, it was a dream team. There would/might be new weird monsters and Kojima's weird story plus Del Taco he knows how to make monsters in a horror movie but it usually falls flat when he writes dialogue. So it could have been something interesting.

But in the end. Pachinko makes allot of money and vidya is not market viable as it once was.

Silent Hill is a J-horror with western material, the same is with RE its a spaghetti zombie film viewed trough a Japanese guy.

The whole reason for RE being born in the first place was that the dude said/believed he could make a better horror movie then the Italian Zombie movie or the unofficial sequel to Dawn of the Dead.
I wish, I was joking.

Either way its an interesting tale with Silent Hill

Silent Hill 2 is the most iconic and popular Silent Hill for reason. It's interpretation is the most interesting and the most scary.

Sorry pal, but there is nothing wrong with SH3 PC.

Its interpretation is still strongly rooted in the occult and it's one of the most widely misunderstood games out there.

Yeah, it was made with broad appeal in mind.

They simplified the lighting engine and destroyed the checkpoint system.

The whole game more or less told in memos how and why the spiritual power got perverted by the occult.

But one could skip allot of the backstory with the occult and still have a pleasurable time with the game.

Sure, but skipping the backstory has also led to the widespread misinterpretation of not only SH2 but the whole series.

Yes, that's how things work unfortunately.

Maybe if you're retarded user.

well, that's how things have worked out with the series when team Silent was annexed. It has been more misinterpretation and copying SH2.
So there where no need for retardation m8.

3 is very good. I think it's the best game in the series overall, but I think 2 still has the best story.

4 is definitely the weakest of the original four games and slightly different in tone and presentation, but it's a good entry in the series. You should certainly play 4 if you liked 1-3.

At least with Shattered Memories they were trying to do their own thing and not wedge their game awkwardly into the story and canon of the original games. I would say Origins, Homecoming, and Downpour are worse than Shattered Memories in this regard.

Even if you think the original voice acting for the Silent Hill games was shit, the new voice acting in the HD collection is significantly worse.

I thought 3 looked amazing when I played the PC version like a year ago, but being able to save anywhere is definitely a detriment the survival aspect of the game. You can at least choose to ignore quicksaving and only use the save points.

THIS

Origin at least had a good soundtrack, and if it had tank controls, it would've been fun.

Everything was his fault, he said everything had to be greenlit by him, of course, Konami is also to blame thanks to being a bunch of cheap assholes.

Origins has nothing special, SHSM didn't have anything original going for it, SH2 did it way better and years before.

Is interesting to see how people think SH2 has nothing to do with the cult.

Didn't he want to literally change things in the HD Collection but was unable due to the costs of new mocap and all? I recall him trying to revise the scripts and all.

Yes, he did say he wanted to change the script in one of the original games. The problem was they used a betacode with bugs and not allot of visual effects that was in the game to begin with.

So bluepoint is one of the better and best HD collection porters and general porters, when they go with a ps2 game. They actually buy the game so they have all the correct codes and they do some work on the textures but not allot of work and re-scale the game to the "HD version". So again Tomm Hullett thought it was a great idea, to take someone unknown to the porting business.

Also Konami where Jewy also so they did license for the VO and MC but only on one platform, why they recalled the re-release of SH2 game on the ps2 for Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams and on xbox for Inner Fears.
So the masterplan got to them when they tried to re-release SH3, if I remember correctly. So the license work that if the game is on another platform meaning new ones the VO and MC gets paid again for their original performance by the actors.

So the funny thing about this, is obviously Konami did the contract in the first place and did that fuck up to begin with.

So the brilliant plan from Tom was what if we re-do all of those MC and VOs then we don't need to pay royalties. And it backfired since the cost was too great and they needed to settle with paying some of the VO and MC actors to begin with. But they did pay for the new cast of VO so that is kinda funny.

Also they could not find all of the actors since they where regular people with regular jobs, so some moved back to America from Japan others moved other places and so on. So it was a clusterfuck and Konami did not want to pay more cash for a fucked up contract they made to begin with.

Of course Shattered Memories tried to change the canon, they were Cheryl's shattered memories. So shattered she apparently forgot that her father was Harry Mason and not James Sunderland-lite.

Yep, wanted to rewrite SH3's script. Probably to downplay the cult's role in the plot, knowing how he feels about the rest of the canon.

What I mean to say is with Shattered Memories they were making a different kind of "Silent Hill" altogether with bastardized characters from SH1 rather than polluting the canon of the first four games with later entries which are supposed to take place in the same universe and would affect how one views the first four games if they're regarded as canonical. Neither of these are very good, but between these two approaches I would rather the incompetent hacks do a "reboot" and make their own kind of "Silent Hill" games which are intended to be separate from the first four games rather than shitting all over the previous games by creating games which are meant to be connected to the original four.

I understand what you meant, but unless I completely misunderstood Shattered Memories, it's supposed to follow directly from the events of the bad ending of SH1 as Cheryl copes with the death of her father. In that way, it is affecting the canon because her memories of her father and the town conflict with the series' canon.

Ah, right, I see what you mean. In that case I'm guessing all the occult stuff you see in SH1 would be considered a delusion so therefore everything after SH2-4 would not be considered canon if you regard Shattered Memories as being canonical. In that case I guess you could say there would be two "timelines", one where the events of SH1 weren't real and then you have Shattered Memories, and then the one where the events of SH1 were real and you have 2-4, Origins, Homecoming, then Downpour (and Book of Memories I guess since that's supposed to be Silent Hill canon as well). Both are pretty bad, but I think I prefer the Shattered Memories "timeline" since that involves less of the original games.

Does anyone have a file of the extended PS2 US release of SH2 they could drop on Mega or Vola? The sites I usually use for downloads don't have the US Greatest Hits one (emuparadise doesn't specify if what they have the original release or not, and ISOzone mentions their is just the original one), as for whatever reason Konami opted to not do a separate subtitled US release for the PS2 like they did in Europe, or on the Xbox.

Normally I wouldn't mind just picking up an actual copy, but the fact that it's ONLY a Greatest Hits release activates my autism, since I only get original releases of games as far as physical copies go.

Fucking kek. Though, Konami IS at fault for letting dumbasses do the actual development, who are Vatra Games and Hijinx Studios, who did nothing worth of value before SH.

Me too. I'm also autistic about playing games on original hardware, which is the reason I still didn't play some of the PS2 classics while I can emulate them nicely.

Shattered Memories is not canon, it is literally a "what if" story that plays on your expectations from the series. It has nothing to do with the actual characters and setting of the original games. It has everything to do with your own memories of the games, however. It's postmodernism done right and nobody cares.

In my memory of SH1, Harry Mason did not live inn Silent Hill, Cybil Bennet was not a SH police officer, the nightmare was not a winter wonderland, and there was a fucking cult involved.

Yes, that's the point. It tells the same story with different elements. If you truly believe the cult has any importance beyond enabling the paranormal setting, you missed the point of the series entirely. SM blatantly points that out by having zero paranormal elements.

They don't tell the same story with "different elements", story is not remotely similar in any way besides sharing the same character names.

Please leave

i liked SM, i shed a tear for poor Harry, it was a nice interactive movie

SH1 is about a poor girl without a childhood escaping the real world.

SHSM is about a poor girl without a childhood escaping the real world.

SM being an adventure game and not a survival horror does not mean it does not share the same basic building blocks that define SH from day one, no matter how much your inner TwinPerfect-approved opinion matters to you.

SH1 is about a demonic cult performing a malicious ritual, tainting a mysterious supernatural power and psychically projecting a young girl's nightmare over an entire town while the father of the year braves the fires of hell to find his lost daughter.

SM is about a neurotic sexually-frustrated amnesiac stumbling through ambiguous scenarios with a tenuous psychology gimmick attached.

Your "b-but they both have little girls in them" as the exact same story is moronic when they share absolutely no other elements and barely share the one you mentioned. Go back to masturbating over the Silent Hill wiki.

user, I really think you should read more books and watch more movies. Maybe Solaris would be a good start. A protagonist doesn't need to be the centre of the story. It's really a shame to understand SH at a surface level. The main themes were always family and love, not B-schlock cult horror. It is character drama, the horror comes from their fucked up state.

I understand it both from a plot and a thematic standpoint, you understand it from neither. The Cheryl is not the same Cheryl. The town is not the same town. The escape is not the same escape. The conflict is not the same conflict. The drama is not the same drama. The conclusion is not the same conclusion. The two games are only similar on a surface level.

I still wonder who at Konami approved these choices.

Aren't Japanese games cheaper to develop compared to most western releases as well?

I never liked the whole "demon cult" plotline, anyways.
It took away from everything.

Silent Hill 2 was the best Silent Hill because it didn't bother with the cult at all unless you really went looking for it.

This is completely my opinion, however, and I understand that the game is about a cult and removing the cult entirely would be taking away one of the most fundamental parts of Silent Hill.
I just think the games are better before they start to put the cult in focus, and are just surreal horror games where the protagonist doesn't understand what's going on but has to push forward regardless, meeting and interacting with strange people along the way that don't hold the answers he seeks but provide even just a tiny moment of respite from the horrors.