Yo devfags

Yo devfags

Are publishers stupid or just out of touch. Asking since they keep chasing an unreliable audience and trying to make the next big thing rather than catering to the solid demographic that exists. Like I'm no expert in business, but this shit is business 101.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamerant.com/destiny-sales-numbers-210/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal–agent_problem
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ideology makes you do stupid shit, just look at suicide bombers, same fucking thing.

I don't necessarily think its ideology rather than stupidity

Welcome to capitalism my friend
Where the decision making is not in the hand of the dev but in hand of some fucking publisher that never touched a game in his whole life

Where no one strive for quality but for marketability

Is there a difference?

Ignoring the whole feminism fiasto and focusing on the issue at hand:

See this is the part where they are wrong as they market the game to casuals and then they alienate their fanbase. Then nobody buys the game because casuals only play fifa and call of duty.

Because it has been known to actually work. Destiny was completely mediocre, but made incredible sales due to the immense marketing campaign.

As someone who is not a developer, I think you've got a few things publishers can be, but it is never as cut and dry as this (boss having different goal to workers, etc).

You have group A. Group A can net you 20K a release at best. You have to work hard, as they are well informed and news of you not making something good will drive them away. It is a big risk, but keep releasing good titles and you'll always get around 15K.

You now have Group B. Group B is basically "the main stream" except not really. You have posers who buy things that are advertised so they fit in, and cauals who do the same, but want genuine fun; albeit some of them don't have the patience to get good. This group is NOT as well informed- instead relying on adverts and reviews from places that are easy to pay off. Unless you sold a broken or outright bad game, they would get some enjoyment (not knowing that 10 years ago someone did it better with half the technology and none of the budget), and wouldn't discourage people from buying it. You could release a mediocre game over and over, and no amount of complaining from group A would do anything. Group B will make you 2 Mil at minimum.

Pile on top of that shareholders (who can have the best publisher or developer in the world by the bollocks, and demand they make maximum profit), and it's not hard to see why it happens. Then you've got old boys clubs- where like minded people get into positions of power- and soon everyone at the top (developers, publishers, advertizes, even reviewers) unofficially declare to work together to make sure everyone makes maximum profit. Fuck the hobby- make it Hollywood. Which in turn means another form of media is heavily controlled over what messages come out of it while allowing smaller studios to exist but are never heard of, but that's another matter entirely

Now, what Mr. Shecklestien forgot (or never learned from business school) is that people talk. And memetic information on the internet spreads.
Kotaku is in the toilet because Group A pointed out the elephant in the room: Aren't they preachy and shit? Kotaku then went damage control throwing up and even WORSE image of themselves. This allowed Group B to talk more openly about Kotaku, not fearing they're the only one who thinks like it.

So, if you see a bad release- keep talking about how bad it is outside of Holla Forums.
We grew tired of SJW and poor taste so we stayed on halfchan, that only gave the rest of the internet to them.

Go to the dev's or publisher's own forums and (calmly) explain why the game is shit. Don't let those places be a hug-box. When people see your post- then see you banned, they'll start pointing out the elephant in the room, then more will notice as the publisher's melt down and spite future customers over someone offering a negative opinion on the game while citing fact. Combine that with the net allowing you to find the oldest or most obscure game, and suddenly the AAA clique that was sitting pretty now has to make an effort when people realize a schmuck in his bedroom can do it better (and for better value).

Always speak up.

No, if this was capitalism then they would actually try to market to people like us since we're a stable source of income. What most western publishers are doing is trying to nickle and dime the consumer with micro transactions and DLC. That's not good marketing because not only are you losing money from making the damn game but you're also hurting a stable source of income in favor of an extremely unstable one. Also they spend millions of dollars on games that probably only needs a few million. The only games that kinda tamed the casual market are GTA, Mario and CoD. They're not gonna buy the new products when we will.

TREND DECIDES WHAT SELLS
SAFE BETS ARE PROFITABLE
NICHE ARE UNPROFITABLE

And then nobody ever bought it again because it was a mediocre game and they made the people who bought it more jaded and unlikely to buy their next over hyped game.

Capitalism is waiting for the new iPhone. Communism is waiting for bread.

But yes, bad publishers and greed ruin it. Yet, we are more informed than ever.
EA's two gold turds (and a third if they hadn't rigged it I assume) should have sunken them, but the main stream doesn't know or care. They aren't as invested.

To solve that- show the skeletons of bad devs/publishers. The one thing the mainstream hates is an asshole.

But niche is safe. At least when compared the casual audience. Like Custom Robo Arena made four milllion dollars, yet we've never heard from the franchise again. Its asinine

It's not just about net profits from the base game though. Building a huge playerbase (which Destiny undeniably had and to some degree still has even to this day) allows you to continue ripping people off. The raw sales numbers for the game itself belie the actual realizable profits from expansions like the Taken King, microtransactions, and even a future sequel that you and I both know people will eat up no matter how lazy it is.

See here is where they fucked up as the game was mediocre most people stopped playing it after a few weeks and now they have to spend more money to make the DLC and to market it. There is no way this game is anything more than a money hole where stupid publishers go to throw money away.

On top of that, keep in mind that the publisher doesn't incur the full cost of the game. In Destiny's case, Bungie covered most actual development costs, while Activision handled logistics, distribution, and marketing. Of course they spent a lot of money on those aspects as well, but the money they made in return was far more.

These publishers may be doing things that are bad for games as a whole, but they're definitely not idiots. These practices do make money for them.

If you think of video games as a business, you will never experience them completely.

Wrong
stable income can be applied only to renewable goods like electricity water etc… where you are expected to sing up with them for a life time

Unlike vidya where is the easy way to make money by hype and pleasing the lowest common denominator to get as much cash as you can it is very rare to get a game to sell copies past the first year from its release without complementary materials like DLCs and MODs

I know for a fact that the world will be a better place when the laborer the dev and the worker get the full control and benefit from his labor , game and service

So basically they don't give about vidya and are just trying to make a quick buck. They do know sooner or later it's gonna bite them in the ass, right?

they are the ones fueling almost all the gaming industry

Paradox is still going strong. I never played the Persona games, but I hear something similar is happening?

Well, keep supporting devs who avoid publishers.
The guy who sells his work online with nothing more than a pay-pal link.

The more new devs that see you don't need a publisher (just a decent concept people will talk about and a decent demo) the better.

Steam sort-of does that now, but they have pleanty of their own issues and are making a monopoly on the PC market.

Best of all, after they bring a company down to the ground, they can just "invest" in an other one, and ruin that too. Oh, and their children won't even have to work a day, because hedge funds will finance their lifestyles, so they will be little shitheads with loads of money. So they will be even better at ruining everything we like.
If you want to save Western vidya, then speak up against stock markets. Investors should just give loans to a company, not own it. That way they will want guaranteed profit, so that they get back their money. And if they can't invest for shit, then they will just lose money until they have none left. Stock markets are just jews way of fucking up the economy even more.

But it doesn't and we know it doesn't spending huge amounts of money to market something that isn't all that great and expecting people to pay for more of that when it didn't live up to the hype is retarded. Tell me how many people have you heard talk about Destiny lately? Because I actually forgot about it until you started talking about it. Most of the normalfaggots I have to interact with only talk about how shitty the new COD looks.

arent those faggots a fun allowed devs?

i mean no fun allowed

Everyone is sick of Parajews shit now nobody is going to buy HoI4 and you know it. Why they thought it was a good idea to piss off a niche for their games that only the niche will ever play I don't know.

Will it? They've been doing it for many years and it's still working. Of course all they care about is making money, and they won't change the way they operate until it stops working.

They are old men who always live a decade or two behind the times, i wonder how they get rich being so backwards in first place

Why are you asking devs? It's publishers and executives that decide that shit.

Doesn't matter from Activision's perspective. They already made tons of money (and are still making money off of the decent playerbase that still exists) and are preparing to move on to other games like the new Call of Duty, which will doubtless also make them plenty of money. Like I said, they don't give a shit about creating games with lasting legacies; it's only about how to maximize profits.

Citation needed. The normalfaggots are moving on to phone games most of them didn't even buy the new consoles because they are starting to realize they have been buying the same games every year.

gets me errtime

off with this kikery

never ever bought anything from them anyway but that's just ridiculous

Citation needed. For all the money they spent on marketing they would have had to sell more games than there are people who could play them. Getting commercials on every channel isn't fucking cheap.

They became the moment they put a feminazi as their community manager, yes. Feminism slowly infected them, but again, they are from Sweden.

Nigga I'm in about 7 HOI4 groups in different platforms, all these fags bought legit copies as shown by the occasional pirates who can't connect to their games. A lot of people bought it, and you KNOW more will come as they start spewing DLC and the shills start singing praises about how they "totally fixed the game, guise!!".

That's exactly my point. They are greedy jews and THEY AREN'T GOING BANKRUPT, QUITE THE OPPOSITE.

Which incoming games other than Ember are going full fuck-you-publishers?
Im not talking about scamstarter stuff

And how many didn't buy it because of how shit paradox has been lately? Just because there are idiots that buy anything doesn't mean they make money off of them.

That's not how selling stuff works, user. Also, the amount of casuals that bought the game is staggering. People who have never heard about Hearts of Iron before are posting their horredous blobs on kikebook. For every sale they lost from the series fans, they got 15+ from casuals. Such is life.

Not to say anything about paradrones that'll buy anything they crap out, and the ones who never got good at DH/HOI3 and are taking this opportunity to "learn" HOI when they get bored of EU4

Marketing is sometimes 50% of the overall budget for a game, so we're talking about tens of millions.
NEVER underestimate the power of controversy in games.
Step 1.
Add some plausible thing in game that some people like and some people absolutely hate.
Step 2.
Have said grps endlessly debate about it for no reason and gain millions of worth of exposure.

The big publishers know before making the decision if the thing they add is controversial enough, if its not and people wont be eager to debate it its not going to get implement.

gamerant.com/destiny-sales-numbers-210/

Rough extrapolation based on the Taken King's sales numbers add another $200 million or so to that, not counting any other related purchases. Some reports say that $500 million total was spent on the game, but that includes both development and marketing. Even assuming costs and profits were split 50/50 between the two companies, the game would still have been profitable, and realistically the deal was almost certainly slanted in Activision's favor.

That's exactly how selling stuff works if you make something and spend x money making it and you only make y money and x>y you didn't make any money you lost money.

Worked so well for Mr Shitface and Inajewne right?

I don't think you realize how publishing in modern day works. If the dev is bought out by the publisher, all they do is meet their deadlines and see if their projects get greenlit. The publisher have very little control over the content of the game when it is in development. The only control they have over it is when its greenlit and when its done. When its done, they kike it up and market it based on content. Dragon Age Cisquisition wasn't shit because EA put their foot down and forced the developers to make it degenerate. Bioware went to EA and told them they are gonna make a degenerate thing and EA decided to greenlight it because they thought Social Justice pays big bucks.
The main reason why publishers don't just settle in for niche titles is because they are publicly traded companies. Niche is stagnation and stock holders don't like that. Hell, even if their AAA game bombs, if they can show a large install base and interest they can woo in even more buyers. This happened with Pokemon Go and Nintendo and Square Enix has said they want to sell FF15 to as many people as possible because they are making the game as a SKU.

And so without EA Bioware would had to beg for money from gullible idiots who know nothing about video games, but still want to invest into them.

I know what you mean, but it's like saying that human life is stagnation, because it's so long and slow, so it's the lifestyle of rats that we should follow. Slow and steady is what most human wants, and that is the same thing that lets civilizations and cultures grow. Many problems of the modern world comes from the fact that it's run by burned out fucktards who always need their next fix of money or power or cocaine or little girls, or whatever else they want. And so they gladly fuck up anything and everything.

He's liking referring to SJWs/feminists.

what is wrong with sweden?

Ask pol, they'll give you a detailed answer.

Everything.

Have you been living under a rock those last 10 years or what?

Short version: Sweden has been radfem QG for the last 15 years, it's the most multiculturalist(aka cucked) country in the world, they make speeches openly about how the sweden race is dying and how that's a marvelous thing, among other stuff.

Speculative capitalism.

Fatcats with dosh purchase shares on a company which signals a raise in their price and signals everyone else to buy more.
The biggest shareholders force the company to do something boneheaded. Inmediatly after, they sell the shares at their peak price. The blunder makes the news and share price plummets. Rinse and repeat.

Don't you love when ((they)) do nothing productive except ruining everything for the rest of us, and make profit out of it?

nice bait

Reminds mr of this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal–agent_problem

*me

There can be a pragmatic ideology

Underrated post. It's simple but yeah, redpill your friends on shit games, and write bad steam reviews if the game deserves it. I've helepd a few people stop being Blizz and Biodrones and start refining their tastes. Admittedly though, it's even easier here because piracy is the main means of acquisition (so you can tell them to try it if they like, point out the flaws that make it shit so it becomes apparent the HDD space isn't worth it)

I want to cum inside you.

Companies that push esports so hard that they've actually created an audience, you just look at all the normalfags that played OverWatch

Holla Forums certainly doesn't count as an audience either, because half of you faggots will just pirate the game, just as bad as the sjw that you hate

THAT'S LEWD BAKA

Capped for truth.

You know 20 years ago, I would of been a hardcore console fag and told you to go fuck yourself. But now, I totally agree with you!

Those silent 10,000 still need to breathe. Assuming they're all in a tight pack, that breathing would easily down out 10 people talking loudly.