Saturday Night Horror Thread

Here we go again

>Will still image horror adventures á la Scratches ever make a comeback?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s03etTM2Gvup
romhacking.net/translations/308/
techraptor.net/content/layers-of-fear-review
archive.is/DHrSY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, remember to avoid the suitwalkers.

I've been playing some quake if that counts as horror

Not quite spooky enough m8 - unless you are desperately searching for a health pack

Dose Pathologic HD count? Otherwise the only other game that I can say might have some horror elements to it I'm playing is dead rising 2 OTR

Oh man, this reminds me of golden age SCP stuff.

Speaking of DR, I'm glad the first is coming to PC. That's a great game thats also the fastest in the series.

Maybe Siren tonight

Obviously

Hey I'm making some music for this game some others are creating. This is what I've made so far. Would like to hear some feedback

vocaroo.com/i/s03etTM2Gvup

Also posting this here because it's kinda horror like

What's the context for the track exactly?

Maybe it's because I have the sound cranked up on my headphones, but personally it louds a bit louder than it should. Are you going for an outer-space kind of horror vibe, by the way?

Some other user told me that. I'll see what I can do about it

It's for a 2d rpg game. Sorry I can't say much more about it or Holla Forums will lynch me

RPG-Maker title?

Not looking for insider info, just some context to what kind of game the track is meant to support.

I think the bass notes at the beginning should be made a little more indistinct. Might also be a good idea for the background ambience to fade in and out when higher notes come in at the end, instead of being a solid wall of noise.

oh boy… more "siren music"
Hey, here's an idea, why don't you throw in a baby crying and a dog howling while you are at it

The site was corrupted from the get-go. That the admins actually insisted on creating in-universe alter egos despite of there being rules specifically against that should have been a red flag. Same with Mary Sue SCPs like Abel

Able was a justified Mary Sue though, and a neat twist on cain and able imo.
He was kind of schlocky in a way. The tone of his stuff was at the very least was less tryhard then 682s stuff.

At any rate, it was inevitable that the SCP project would first start to rot from within due to power-hungry mods, and then attract SJWs.

Asides from jewdiepie, is Amnesia really that bad?

It's ok

Looking back, the Ethics Committee Orientation pretty much hits on the the SJW mentality.
Have you read that one story that reveals what Procedure 110-Montauk is?

I liked it.
It gets shit for the crappy teeth chattering effect, but honestly I didn't even notice it that much.
A machine for pigs is a fucking joke though. It might be worth a pirate just for the laughs at how badly they failed at making it scary with their tone on the writing.

I really have to wonder who thought giving Doom a horror soundtrack was a good idea. Not that its a bad thing, it really draws you in, just curious that someone thought Doom needed these tracks.

Forgot to include the music. Skip to 7:05 to hear it.

It's pretty boring

I think it gets shit for being pretty boring

Consider that, back in the day, Doom's lighting effects were pretty revolutionary, and pretty spooky at that.

Revolutionary I can understand, though I don't know how regular Vanilla DOOM was spooky for some.

Again, you have to look at it when compared to the previous, basic FPS shooters.

Bear in mind that, when cinemas were first introduced, it was not uncommon for visitors to shit bricks when, for instance, the movie shows a train moving towards the camera. Likewise, the prose of Poe nowadays is not particularly scary, but was quite so to his contemporaries, simply because they were not used to fictional horror.

It's an interesting question to consider whether the horror older generations experienced at fictional works stems from the fact that they were more used to actual horror and thus had a lower threshold, or whether it was just the new media and narratives that unnerved them.

Sorry user. I was going for a quake like feel since that's what I've been playing a lot recently. Like I said I'm looking for feedback.

Perhaps you could link me to some spooky music that's not "siren" like?

I'd assume you're famliar with the soundtracks for the Silent Hill trilogy, which is a good example of ambient noise without resorting to bland droning.

And speaking of Pathologic, most of that soundtrack is industrial stuff mixed with tribal chants, which is a unique take on a horror soundtrack.

Is this what you mean by Siren music?

They're remastering Siren: Blood Curse?

Nice. Now PSfags will get to play "MOMMY DADDY MOMMY MOMMYYYY!" simulator in glorious… Something?

Will it get a physical release?

900p?

Who knows about the physical release, seems like it's just rumors at this point.

It was for free for PS+ users in June, maybe something new is happening?

I wonder why they're porting over Siren BC instead of remaking Siren 2, since it had the excuse of never getting released in America.

no, like thisd

Good if it's a Metroid rom hack. It has that vibe. But it's more moody than scary. Which is good if you're going for subtle. It sounds like a generator or an electric hum is going on in the background. If the context doesn't have that in the game you're working for then I'de remove it.

Well the game isn't exactly COMPLETELY horror. It's really for just one section of the game. Like dungeon music if they're exploring an abandoned factory complex in the game.

There was a Snes rpg horror themed game, that took place like in the 1920's

Anyone knows the name and if it was fan-translated?

Bump

So Nightcry will be a never ever for other platforms except PC and mobile? The news suddenly stopped, did they update anything?

Can't see it because it's backers only, but their last update to their Kickstarter page was just three days ago. Other versions might be forthcoming.

But I think that game that Guy Cihi voiced is never ever coming to PC

Probably they're just testing the waters for a "localization"? It's cheaper to enhance the graphics than translate and enhance the graphics, so I guess they will go for a safe bet.

I hope they keep with the idea to release Nightcry for PS Vita.

Laplace no Ma, maybe? From what I gather it's basically a Lovecraft rip-off, so it would fit the time period. Has been fan-translated.

romhacking.net/translations/308/

This looks like a Grickle live action short.

What is this - some kind of indie horror movie director?

Isn't it that weird cartoon universe ? Puzzle agent (a game that's Professor Layton but with Fargo's setting) was part of it I think.

If you mean Siren 2. It's already in English since forever. It was released in Yurop.

Can't let the weekend horror thread die

>was not able to get the good ending in I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream because the German censorship office cut the game.

And by cut I do not mean something like "remove swastikas from Nimdok's level". I mean "remove Nimdok's entire fucking level because portrayal of Nazis (even when in a negative light) = VERBOTEN"

oks, thanks for the info

Is layers of fear actually scary? I wanted to try it out since its native for linux, but something tells me its not worth it.

Because as i heard people say its linear and has no any elements of danger or death.

I've heard very mixed things about it. Some say the atmosphere is great, but the the game doesn't deliver in terms of content.

Techraptor also did a decent review for it. They argue that the game uses jumpscares galore instead of relying on its atmosphere.

techraptor.net/content/layers-of-fear-review

A bunch of weird internet shorts made by the guy who did Puzzle Agent.

I still don't get why German is so anal about whats in their games. No reason even violence in games should get censored as well like with german Half Life.

Sorry pal, you can't ever, ever mention the Nazis anywhere at any time for any reason.

It is, it's just a linear sequence of scripted events. Runs like hot garbage, too.

It's a cultural thing. However, bear in mind that German (or European, generally speaking) censors are much more lenient towards nudity or sexual content than their American counterparts.

At any rate, can anyone recommend any good (and ideally free) Indie Horror games?

I think I'm already through with most of the RPG Maker titles like IB or The Witch's House, and I've recently made my way through Cry of Fear, too.

All four of the Chzo Mythos games are free, if you haven't played them.

There are those SCP games and this

Is there anything to this game aside from the lesbian gimmick? Should I play it?

Never played it, but a game with a Lesbian gimmick can not be genuinely bad.

O rly

Oh fuck you, that doesn't count. I'm talking of sexy lesbians, not "IT'S 2016" lesbians.

That's not a game though. It's a tech demo.

Anyway should give it a shot. The game isn't exactly scary but funny.

dyke =/= lesbian

Anyway, anyone else scared of this game? I was until I learned you can man the fuck up and beat the dog's head's in.

Red's a great character.

I fucking loved it from beginning to end. Dat atmosphere.

I keep my room cranked to a comfortable 60 degrees because I have constant fevers, so the atmosphere was really with me when I played this.

My nigga. I keep mine at 44 myself because I get really hot really easily.

Fahrenheit? The fuck is wrong with you?

Some people don't like keeping the heat at 80 in the summer, grandma.

A combination of fucking hating the heat to no end and loving the fuck out of cold places.

Where I live, the lowest temperature ever is 84.2ºF and it's considered a fresh day. On those rare occasions when the sun isn't killing everything and temps finally drop to 60 or less, it's considered a cold day. It fucking sucks and I still wonder why the fuck I was born here.

Pretty good for some Ku On though, as I get right into the 'humid summer night' mood right away.

You'd be better off watching a play through.
Same end result, but you won't waste hard drive space installing it.

I was only being a dick for giggles. Though I feel I need to burn my hard drive now for saving that to it.

That's not normal nigga, have you seen a doctor over it?

Are you sure you aren't a Lich or some other type of Undead that quickly decomposes in warm environments?

Also, I'm going to play FEAR right now. Alma's appearances are spooky enough, but the fact that YOU can be spooky by virtue of scaring the shit out of your enemies ("Squad, come in! …… Squad, COME IN!") really does the trick for me.

It's pretty well the same here, but I don't think I can run my air conditioner at sixty degrees below the outside temperature.

Nice

Great game, sadly the game builds up to a great reveal of sorts, and it really is a bit of a letdown, still, the journey made it worth it, though I would not call it a horror game, more like a horror themed game, and even then it's all mostly creepy stuff.

Also, how scary is pathologic? or is it just creepy?

As much as any PnC game can be horror.

I'm biased, since it's my favorite game, but I think it's easily one of the most horrifying games out there. It does take a good amount of patience to play, since the whole thing revolves around surviving a quarantine for an extended period of time.

Sanitarium is psychological horror, mostly. Also, you always have to look back at what contemporary games had to offer. Sanitarium with its three characters in this incredibly macabre world was quite something.

I find Sanitarium to be a strangely comfy game, mainly in the stage in which you are that 4 armed superhero, that was pretty cool, except for that awful noise puzzle. I guess i am tone deaf.

Dude, are you me? That puzzle took me like 20 minutes

If you'd said being the little grill in the stranded circus, I might have understood you.

You see I don't like circuses

Did you grow up in one?

But seriously - what Sanatorium did right was making you feel uneasy in all the areas, even though the Aztec area is rather outdated by modern standards.

No but every year there's one in town

The Aztec one was pretty friggin' weird, although I have to say that the stone create you turn into was rather cute

….user.

YES GODDAMMIT.

He was cute with his stone cat face, and his manner of speech, he was like a walking cartoon for Christ sake.

But Olmec had a reptile face, presumably based on Quetzalcoatl and/or crocodiles.

Just be glad they did not give him the real Olmec's face.

That was what I meant when I said it was a bit outdated. When he introduces himself as Olmec, I instantly have those (Dindu?) statues before my inner eye.

Well since it's all in the dude's mind my guess is that he would not want to be seen as a stone nignog.

Or perhaps he is a furry.

Since VR seems to be the newest trend in vidya, how do you think it'll affect horror games? I'd be fine with it only if it's like this one arcade game I've played, it was from Namco and I think called Dark Escape? It was in "4D", with 3D glasses, it detecting your heartrate apparently, and some air flowing back through your seat whenever something spooky happened.

Jumpscares on wheelchairs.

Realistically

But for the few small guys who understand VR's use for a more flexible first person game, we may see different gameplay styles for them.

The move to first-person dominating the market has already been made, VR will just cement it. RE7 confirms it.

I'd like to see the expanded FOV utilized for proper first-person melee games, but Condemned 3 is never happening.

I actually really enjoyed walking around that house and the semi-spooky atmosphere it gave off. I really want more first person exploration games set in large structures like mansions, hotels, libraries, castles, mall planets

They could probably make a game like Condemned 3 nowadays, it isnt like theres no market for it.

I need to try this

Are there any atmospheric 3rd person horror games you guys recommend ?,I`ve been looking for something spooky that doesn`t rely on jump scares which is why i`ve been avoiding 1st person horror.

I don't think that it's going to change that much, "spooky games" nowadays relies like 90% on Jumpscares so I don't think VR is going to change that much.

It's a shame, I love horror games, but I have a weak heart, I love games like the first 3 Silent Hills because they have no jumpscares to talk about, I mean, when I see a game like FNAF in which it's all jump-scares, i fear for my heart more than i fear the game's "horror"

It's not like there wasn't a market for it on release either, but sometimes dead is better.
archive.is/DHrSY

Anything in golden era survival horror (1996-2003) is probably going to be in third person, and jumpscares were rarer at the time.

That sucks man. Hope you're able to find more games like the original Silent Hills that dont use jumpscares.

I guess try Doom 64 or Night Trap on Sega CD

What about Pathologic, does that have too many jumpscares? or any at all?

Jumpscare-free

Oh boy! Now I know what i'll be playing this week.

I only played a half hour of that, but thankfully it doesnt have that. Instead it has one of weird atmosphere and an unsettling soundtrack.

So he'd just hand it off to any random team? Thats a bit worrying.

Isn't this the game where there's a scene where a baby just sprits down a hallway in front of you and then just smacks his head against a wall and dissappears after you hear the demon thing screaming in pain?

Because that was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.

Majority of shitty devs will continue making garbage jumpscare games.
I'm hoping we see Dark Escape arcade shooter types taken to the next level. I want VR Jurassic Park, House of the Dead, Time Crisis, and so on.
I especially want VR versions of the full body motion boxing/shooter arcade games whose names I can't remember for the life of me.

It takes 70 hours minimum to complete.

Remake's also coming out this halloween I think.

Late current year was the announced date, but a stretch goal was completed in spring, precious little has been revealed so far, and ice pick lodge doesn't really play by deadlines. I'm pretty sure they gave a date because that's a rule in crowdfunding, but they won't release anything until they're satisfied with it.

What I wish for are atmospheric adventure games in VR. Think Myst.

This reminds me of Pigpen

I replayed it in a week when the Classic HD release came out, and you know most people will only play the Bachelor route, that's 24 hours.

Whats the name of that old japanese horror rpg
that goes like this:

Bunch of character and a "proffesor" go to an ancient ruin.
Are attacked by common/odd enemies
As they progress one by one are killed.
They reach the end and make some important finding
Then the remaining one(s) try to escape and on the way out are attacked by the reanimated corpses of the ones fallen during the first part of the game.

I have seen like 3 or 4 spins on this plot (one was old and just translated in 2014, the other was more recnt, made in RPG-maker and not translated with some wierd RPG subplot)

Some recommendation of spooky games that have low requirements?

Toaster you mean ? Clock Tower the First Fear on SNES, shit's great.

Sweet Home?

well, besides that one

I saw one that took place in some egyptian ruins, with a rpg maker vibe, but was a different engine

Also, a saw one made in rpg maker couple of years ago, similar premise, different execution, gory deads, was not translated

nvm i found it

Peret em Heru: For the prisoners

i still can't find the others that had spins on the same plot though

I was playing it on my 3DS right now, It's a solid game.
Is Corpse Party any good?

Do you like anime games? Games with lots of bad endings? Do you enjoy RPG maker-tier games?

If the answer is yes, you'll like it.

How come more first person indie horror games implement combat like in Condemned 1? Is it really that hard?

Something about this always gets me. I don't know if it's the weird gait that whatever that is has or if it's the fact that this was the middle of the night in fucking Saudi Arabia.

It's fun once, honestly. The game plays more like a really interesting rollercoaster ride than anything. It's a pretty good looking game with okay sound and completely mundane plot, but you'll probably enjoy it for a few hours.

Yea, nah. Why does every play-through have to have commentary, especially when the people "commentating" have no talent or ability to do so in an entertaining way?

yeah i know, but theres only like 2 or 3 people ever playing that game

do u want him to fill your bp user

Why the fuck can't I get scratches directors cut to install/work properly? It just bluescreens me. Can someone help me out here?

Because Scratches came out in 2006, the company behind it went bankrupt, and no-one bothered to update the damn thing for anything beyond Windows XP?

But I'm windows 7
I actually got it to run once but the cutscenes didn't work and it froze me out as soon as he unlocks the front door
This is mind boggling

Okay, I just booted up my Steam version of the director's cut and it's working fine for me (I'm also on Win 7). The only thing the game really seems t dislike is Tab-switching.

In your case, I can only guess that it's some kind of hardware issue.

Also, have you tried running the game in window mode?

I'm trying to install with actual disc so maybe that's the problem. The steam version might have been different idk I'm pretty much retarded about tech actually.
But I'll try window mode