What's your favorite genre?

what's your favorite genre?

I'm all for simple arcade games

that means I like the dreamcast

I don't really have a favorite genre. I'm tempted to say First person shooters but I'm a shameful failure at tactical shooters like Rainbow Six 3 because the planning and technical stuff is too confusing and nebulous for me and I'm reliant on my AI-controlled squadmates to get the bad guys for me because I can't see them before it's too late. So if it was really my favorite genre: I'd find games like that to be in my element and Operation Coldpoint wouldn't be so intimidating.

Probably RPGs and JRPGs.

Dubs

Fighting games or arcade games in general.

Driving and simulators i guess.

Datamining thread, pls go.

Not sure I have a favorite genre. I tend to drift from one to the other. I don't really care for sports games of sports that exist in real life (like baseball, football, whatever) and really the only racing games I have ever liked were Mario Kart (fun as fuck with friends or otherwise) and Gran Tourismo (that collecting and RPG element on the cars…).

Maybe if we did it by pure hours I tend to like things where I build with a goal. So I have tons of hours in Terraria (I can't stand Minecraft though) and Sim City 4.

But I play and enjoy almost anything so long as its made well.
I have noticed I tend to shift towards games that let me drop in and play. I'm finding less and less patience for Japanese RPGs or any real super story heavy game. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy them but if i'm reading or watching more than i'm playing in any given hour then the game is pretty much going to be discarded.

I should add that the shift pretty much correlates with my gaining a full+ time hour job and so I only have a few short hours in a day/night to enjoy games.

Platforming/Collectathon
Bring them back dammit. Yooka Laylee is only a single game that will probably be good and Anton and Coolpecker is likely dead in the water because nobody is going to step up for them.

Hack n Slash and Beat em up
There's nothing like juggling an enemy on the air or fucking their shit up with a big combo

Rhythm

My favourites are fighting games, old school shooters, platformers, and shmups of all sorts.

But I like games from all genres as long as they are good

RPGs

My life is suffering

Racing in general.

I reaaaally want to fuck that drum

Not this shit again.
keep posting

Fightan.

fighting games

PC FPS and HacknSlash not made for retards(like Severance and such).
I can power through shitty rpg games if the story is interesitng, which is pretty rare.

The other genres, you played one, you played them all.

MonHun-clones and RPGs based on animu I like.

I think the preferred name of that genre is "character action game" but I get what you're saying.

Any game that expects high skill and system mastery out of you and rewards you with sequence breaking and really satisfying combat is one worth playing.

RPGs

I wish there were more slashers

I have nothing to play after Darksiders, No More Heroes, Killer is Dead, DMC, Ninja Gaiden and MGR.

Side scrolling beat em' ups. Someone make a new one for fucks sake.

Space combat. Too bad they're all mostly far too open world and basically Truck Simulator now.

I could be wrong, but I think I've heard Bujingai and Chaos Legion were decent hack and slashes. Might be worth looking into.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

i'm definitely a big fan of action games. the genre name is always up in the air though, "character action' or 'hack and slash" you know

but games where the main gameplay is melee combat are my favorite, like ninja gaiden or yakuza

cool dudes detected

i love fighting games but since i can't play local much these days i don't go as deep into them as i wish i could

As for me, platformers and beat em ups are the 2 that I come back to the most often.

beat em ups/hack and slash games and FPS games.

Where do you niggers hide while you're on Holla Forums?

JRPGs. Colorful, upbeat grinding simulators soothe my 'tism like nothing else so long as they require some modicum of thought outside of grinding sessions. Usually play on hard difficulty if possible first run in the hopes that it'll make me think about exactly what I'm doing in every boss battle at the very least, if not during some normal encounters as well.

City builders, comfy management sims, and Fun settlement managers.

Has to be one of the stupidest names for a subgenre, and that's saying something.

"Action game" is a very broad term, but at least everyone understands that it's a very broad term.
"Character action game" is almost 100% as broad and yet it's somehow supposed to describe a particular narrow subset of action games? Bull.

platformers and shmups

Fighting games confirmed best way to test a man's true mettle.

ARPG's

Can't speak for the others, but I don't really know about any new decent beat em ups. Being a wageslave keeps me busy enough that the classics are enough.

Turn Based RPGs.

I have shit tier reflexes so I prefer strategy over something hectic. Of course that doesn't mean I don't appreciate other genres.

I also actually approve of methods to enhance the interactivity of the Turn based battle systems as long as they aren't completely obnoxious. Such as Mario & Luigi giving the player the ability to dodge attacks by jumping or deflect/destroy attacks with their hammers.

Mostly lurk. I'll make a good beat em up thread when I'm ready to shill the demo for my shitty One Finger Death Punch rip off

lighthearted games with cute girls

Action, Augmented Reality, or Alternate Reality?

You know I've wanted to make a game for a while, mainly a beat 'em up. I watched Matthewmatosis video on DMC, I heard him say that juggles essentially replaced grabs in old school beat 'em ups. I was wondering what could be done with grabs to make them more skillful? Grab juggling, King like grabs where you can put in different combinations of buttons to make it longer and do more damage, grabbing multiple opponents, grabbing enemies and using them like weapons?

Shit like Metal Gear Rising, DMC, Prototype and Asura's Wrath
Fuck-shit-up games I guess

the term gentlemen is also my answer to the thread: cuhrayzee.
Action games focusing of stylistically pulling off combos. Will feature cancels, cheese and rewarding for narrow dodges/counter attacks

Not going to lie, my favorite times in Ninja Gaiden are knocking more than one enemy in the air, slashing them then izuna dropping one on the other/close by.
God damn I love Izuna drop

God games and real time strategy's.
i just love building my own little empire and destroying everything which comes in its path.

hey man it's coming, I'm doing 3d modeling on it, we're doing a new thread once the tutorial level is finished

Believe me I've been there since the start and make sure to keep in touch with the threads. I want it done just as much as you guys. But the OP in the recent ones are really disheartening as they're asking for more and more help

Action platformers I guess, that's what I play mostly, just beat Castlevania: Chronicless.
I like games that are fun and straightforward, althought I have played some more complex games.

My favorite series is Castlevania, fuck Konami in the ass

Soulslike/Early access

Point-and-clicks, love them.

Old school FPS's
Platformers
Fighting games
Stealth games.

It's a real shame.
It was a great genre.

Get yourself a Saturn if you like "arcadey" games then, the Dreamcast is great for that but the Saturn blows it out of the water, especially shmups

Play pic related, you don't know what satisfaction is until you kill a man with a fish

FPS.

Tactical RPGs.

Character action games and side-scrowling brawlers are a close second, though.

I'm familiar, and that's probably my favorite genre as well, along with turn-based tactical games, but not all hack'n'slash/beat'em'up is cuhrayzee.

what kind of rpgs?
What's your favorite rpg game and why?

I would say my favorite genre is probably the Shoot Them Downs (STDs).

In theory, classic RPGs as delivered unto us by the prophets. In practice, classic First Person Shooters. I can't invest much time into RPGs, though I like them very much.

how I wish they were.
Pretty much ran out of cuhrayzee games so far