What are some things you'd expect to be able to do in a game where you play as a detective?

What are some things you'd expect to be able to do in a game where you play as a detective?

Are you the guy who said he was making a detective game ?

I would expect to be able to examine eveything, even if it's something useless in the game, and use wrong clues and fail, otherwise there is no actual detective work.

there might be more people working on something similar but yes, I think I mentioned it in a thread. I have a bunch of things that should be in the game, I'm just trying to make sure there's nothing I miss before trying to visualize a progression through an investigation.

have an option to resort to threats and violence to coerce witnesses

Can you give more details ?
Is it a full 3D game ? Only text ?
Is it story-driven or procedural cases ?

This too, an option to play it cool/threaten witnesses, with of course consequences depending on what you do on who.

what year is it set in

Very far future.

Nah, got nothing much to say, still to early in planning, we just started working on concept art.

I would like to be able to build a time machine to go back in time and make sure Hitler wins World War 2

Never miss the opportunity to shit up a thread aye?

I am giving you honest feedback pls no bully

Futuristic shit then. I want to fingerprint air, interogate people through injection of sugestive chemicals, do the Turing test and follow their digital footprint with little regard for their privacy.

Also drive flying cars and shoot lasers but that's secondary to the actual investigative stuff.

I think you're confusing Turing test with something else, but I really like the digital footprint idea

Well you are not giving any details so I just assumed you might as well shove machines acting as humans in it.

You're investing a suicide declared as such because there's no way someone could survive in the same envoirment as the victim, then suddenly BLAM you apply the Turing test on a suspect and he fails because he's a machine! The crime was actually a murder but since he was a robot he could surviveā€¦ whatever, but he can't hide he's not quite human so he fails and you lock him up and shit, case solved.

Oh I thought the turing test and the second part of it were connected in some way. My bad

I am working on a detective game too.

Nice man
Got any details?

I wanna be able to whip out fingerprint powder/ luminol and shit like that at any given moment.
I wanna have a camera i must use to take pictures of the proof i find.
Basically the game gives you hints on where to find proof but it's up to you to investigate/press onto key testimonies/ investigate with your tools.
The game could be easily completed by an ace attourney clone.

Ace attorney at some point just transforms into present the right thing to the right person, some times with almost impossible to guess connections.
I wouldn't really want to devolve into that, but I do get what you mean

Fuck off gook.

Some mental health or stress bar that goes up as you see fucked up shit and makes go nuts (and losing), alcohol, cigars and whores makes it go down but the first two make your actual health bar go down, and whores cost a lot of cash. So you'll have to find the right balance. That and beating people up to get information.

My project is inspired by Deadly Premonition and Deus Ex, i'm so far learning how to use Godot so it may take a while. I'm pouring all the ideas that i come up with and that can be implemented with my low skills.

You should make the connections understandable.
And when they aren't, showing the same object to someome related to the case could make them suggest to you the right person to show it to.
Alternatively there would be an npc outright suggest you the course of action, or at least hint it.
But what i really would love out of an "investigation only game" is to be able to gather proof through photos and tools.
Make it like GTA: SA where the picture is only taken when the game detects a key proof or item in the picture, and otherwise the detective just looks at the pics and toss it, saying "i could take a better one" or "i don't think this will score me any point"

The idea was to give the protagonist different partners, since that's you kinda need if you're doing an investigation (You know you have Gillian and Metal Gear, Phoenix and Maya, etc) and having them change how you can play the game. So I suppose they could also be used to give you hints.

Smoke cigarettes
Shoot clowns
Polish your revolver
All while your every action is narrated by the hardboiled protagonist

What about this: every one of your partners can gather some kinda proof
One guy is a ballistic expert: can detect gunpowder on people's hands that have fired guns, can see the trajectory bullets took, and find shells and associate bullets to the guns that fired them
Another is a medic: he can find blood and hair and extrapolate dna from them and file it with the police archives
You, the protagonist, have to piece everything toghether and are generally the one who gets to question people like LA: Noire

That's a really good idea

I wish I had the equipment, budget or talent to have voice acting

Pls faggots, most of you are too dumb to play a realistic detective game that doesnt handhold and you can fail. Hell, faggots here think Halo and Modern warfare 2 are classic games.

Just use Microsoft Sam.

The shuttle has been called.

steal pantsu

You made me want to watch a detective/Noir movie. Any good recommendation ?

I expect
(X) Doubt

God no, fuck LA noire

Are you a dev? Read some books, watch some movies. Get some inspiration you lazy whore.

To infiltrate the Italian Mafia, and kill each of their high-ranking members one by one and make each death look like the work of some supernatural being. Not because I suspect them of anything at all, just for the fun of it.

You're the new guy on the force and you get paired up with a grizzled veteran that protests having you as a partner and has a shady past that shows he's not above walking the line between legal and not. Soon you're forced to make a choice to do something illegal or fuck over your partner, you stay legit but save your partner anyway cuz video game storytelling is balls.

suck dick

who's this semen demon

act out rape victim scenes with live action