So I just finished Super Mystery Dungeon, and had a lot of fun with it. The looplet mechanic was interesting...

So I just finished Super Mystery Dungeon, and had a lot of fun with it. The looplet mechanic was interesting, the recruitment system was vastly improved, although not exactly where I would like it to be, and I can only assume the post-game content will be great like in the other games.
While watching the credits though, I remembered something that has bothered me since the release of Red and Blue Rescue Team: why do reviewers hate these games so much? They always seemed like such an odd target.
Critics would say the combat was simple or the game was all grinding, which entirely misses the more survival based mechanics within these games, or just dungeon-crawlers in general. I can safely assume they didn't even touch some of the fantastic content after the story ends, but its not like the gameplay up to that point is bad, or even mediocre. So what's the deal?

Also general Mystery Dungeon (Pokemons or not) thread

Other urls found in this thread:

archiveofourown.org/works/7306693
archiveofourown.org/works/7309726
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Which pokemon and partner did you pick?

Riolu x cute Fennekin
Nothing beats this pair

I tried Blue Rescue Team recently and I don't think I "got it". I'm not sure whether I'm missing something but there doesn't seem to be very much to the game. I wouldn't say I hated it, but I'd probably be a bit more down on it if I'd had to play it to the end for a job.

They hate the game because the gameplay is niche and they never get far enough to see the story gain depth. Its one of the downsides to having a slow boil.

Holy shit though, how did they make Super so good?

Close, but I picked Squirtle x Cute Fennekin
Fennekin really is the best Pokemon to fit that role.

I'd say give Explorers of Sky a chance, the Rescue Team game, while I really do enjoy them, are significantly rougher around the edges. If you get to the post-story dungeons and find you still don't enjoy it, that's fine, just isn't your niche.

I really think the looplet and emera system, plus the ease in which getting a large web of quests/pokemon going really triggers our brain's reward process extremely well.

Why is Snivy always so smug?

Charmander x cute Riolu

Do people like super nursery dungeon just because it wasn't as bad as the last one?

I mean it's pretty shit, the dialogue is retarded kiddy shit (the cringey kind) and it barely has any interesting additions at all. You can't even fucking personalize your main char.

It seemed really low try to me, they just remade the original and changed the story. It's a fucking boring ass game.

These games are a Pokemon game, while pokemon is fun, it attracts a lot of casuals.
PMD while being a rather easy(for a dungeon crawler) is harder than the main line games.
ANYWAYS
Super was a pretty good expirience.
The gameplay was certainly better than any previous entry.
Super however suffer from having shitty unbalanced dungeons, drifblim is still the most broken pokemon in the game so, there is that.
The story was pretty Animu-ish, in honestly it would have being better if the center was the MC and the Partner and not the Partner alone, the main caracter has very little weight on the story other than being the Partner's cheerleader and fuccboi.
Not only that, the game starts incredibly slow, that being said, I enjoyed Serene Village and the School Kids more that the Expedition Society, the second part of the story feels rushed.
Carracosta is best dad.
I liked the connection orb but I really miss the endless missions from Sky.

Charmander MC and Cool Totodile

I really had a holy shit moment after cute fennekin left and the game has the credits role over my collapsed Squirtle, I wasn't ready for that

Pokemon mystery dungeon was one of my favourite series of games up until Explorationteam sky.

This came along and I hope the series would get saved, so I bought it, played it for a few hours and then kinda dropped it.
It's not bad, but really slow and boring.
I don't really like the premise and I don't like having all the super strong Pokon being recruitable very early and at my disposal.
Maybe I'll give it another chance someday but until then I'll remember the awesome first 2 games.
They are pretty much perfection to me

I really don't get it user.
An ending isn't enough to save a game that is 95% really bad boring writing mixed up with boring gameplay.

The strong pokemon won't be with you for long though, they will fuck off to a "vacation" after you use them. The farther they are from you, level wise, the more you won't be able to use them. Plus, there is a lot of dungeons that are locked to the Main Pair

Yeah, I felt having access to Salamance, and the various other strong Pokemon early on was an odd choice. I just choose not to use them but I completely get where you're coming from

It still feels really lame, also another user mentioned the cringey kid dialogue maybe that's something that really put me off too.
Does it get better as the story progresses?

it sounds like you cannot enjoy adventuring and/or standard anime plotlines such as saving the world from an ultimate evil or simply going to school and having school adventures.
lighten up user and just enjoy the story for what it is and get violently raped by every dungeon and/or Mewtwo

The Story is the weakest part of the game
The Dungeons will get pretty brutal though.
The thing is that Super suffer from awful pacing. Serene Village is like, 10 hours or so and that would be when the tutorials end. I can understand why that would turn some people off.

Are you actually using anime plot lines as a positive example?
There's like that manage to pull it off, the rest are boring and mediocre trash, just like this game

The dialogue stays fairly childish throughout, about on par with explorers' but with a bit of okay humor here and there. I will say if you're expecting Matsuno-tier writing you're looking in the wrong place.

This is still a game for children, you are expecting way too much from a pokémon game when it comes to the story.

I actually didnt mind the dialogue of explorers very much, it wasnt amazing but it was believeable and not cringeworthy.

Something I got to give Super is that the partner had a very quirky personality, to the point where it would get shunned and considered a weirdo.
That was a pretty nice touch especially since my partner was a female(?) Pikachu and it fit pretty well

I don't mind something written for younger children, but this goes lower than that. It's retard writing. It's like fucking watching Dora the explorer

When I was a kid writing in vidya wasn't this fucking dumb because people didn't automatically default to the preconception that kids are absolutely retarded.

If it has bad writing it has bad writing, there's no mititgating circumstances.

If you picked cute it is safe to assume your partner is female. while the game will always refer to either of you in a neutral sense, the cute/cool option is used mechanically to pick between gender visuals on pokémon that have them such as the tip of Pikachu's tail.

The Partner's personality is great, Cheerish your Partner, user.

Is there any post-credits story? I got to the credits and got my companion back, but Time/Darkness kept going for a good bit after the credits rolled, and I'm not seeing it here.

Oh, now I get why people like it

Sadly, no.
Well, there are a lot of dungeons and stuff but none with stories like SKY.
I feel like the game was rushed?

no major story, but you have tons of pokemon to recruit now and things such as fighting the most bullshit of bullshit fights such as Reshiram and Zekrom at the same time, or the supreme bullshit of Mewtwo having psyshock, aura sphere, recover, and the ability to mega evolve once you chip its health down enough at which point it also fully recovers its health

Unfortunately no. This is what I feel is Super's biggest weakness honestly. Its still got lots of content left, but its for its own sake rather than plot.

I think SMD is the best in the series mainly because the gameplay isn't meh like in previous games.

I don't like Japanese roguelikes in general, I've tried several mystery dungeons, Izuna, Shiren, ZHP, and out of all of these I've only somewhat liked ZHP.

Is it time already to shill my boring sfw fanfiction?

archiveofourown.org/works/7306693
archiveofourown.org/works/7309726

Story-wise, is it closer to the first game or Explorers of Sky?

The Story is pretty odd.
Like usual, you start as an Pokemon with amnesia who claims to be human. However, the first pokemon you meet is not your Partner. The first pokemon you meat if a friendly Nuzleaf who mistakes you for a literal kid, he takes you to his village were you stay with him. So, nothing like there other 2. It gets super fucking anime later on

Someone has to kill all these birds.
I HAVE TO KILL ALL THESE BIRDS!
WITH MY FISTS!

Also are there any of the games I should skip? Or are they all worth it?

The general consensus is that Gates to Infinity sucks but it has a great story and should only be played if you REALLY want more PMD.
Otherwise, no.