How's that tech skill coming along?

POST YOUR:

Other urls found in this thread:

smash.gg/tournament/summit-2016
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Melee objectively sucks.

guess I'll start

Maybe you should have practiced before getting your ass kicked at a tourney

Maybe you should make a good thread about an actual competitive game instead of assuming anyone who hates your autistic competitive scene of a game not built for competitive play is just bad at the game.

Dr. Mario

Luigi, Falco, and G&W

PA

I've never gone to tourneys but I would like to some day, hear my state is pretty rampant with mario and luigi players.

If the game had a HD Remix that actually changed the game to be balanced and catered towards competitive play I'd think most people would start to accept it as a legitimate competitive game even with wavedashing and l-cancelling but autistic homos like you would just stick to vanilla Melee because HD Remix wouldn't be vanilla Melee.

I'm not wrong.

Check on smashboards to see if there's any jewbook groups for your region, easiest way to get plugged into the local scene

Asymmetrical balance is what makes a game a hell of a lot more interesting to both watch and play for competitive games.

It's why Smash 4, an objectively more balanced game, put everyone to sleep at apex 2015 while Melee got peak viewers even though it was well past midnight on the east coast+yurop

Why are you taking a party game designed for small children so seriously?
Just git gud at an actual fighting game.
And get the fuck out of your house and go to local tourneys and join your local FGC, or you'll remain the autistic manchild shut in that you are for the rest of your life.

Why are you playing a videogame designed for small children so seriously?
Just git gud at an actual sport
And get the fuck out of your house and go to local games and join your local football team, or you'll remain the autistic manchild shut in that you are for the rest of your life.

I think you misunderstand that variety is king; if every character in Melee was balanced to be at least 5-5 or 4-6 against space animals I think nobody would complain about it; the top play remains hype as shit except now you have more variety thrown into the mix which drastically change how the game is viewed and played.

Marvel 2 is only still alive because people are discovering more and more tech with characters previously thought to be unviable when Storm/Mag/Sentinel dominated for a long time yet Melee players seem to be content with their pool of characters that can be counted sometimes with fingers from both hands, and that can only be justified with Autism.

The top players don't all use fox/falco. The biggest tournament of the year was just won by a guy that exclusively plays fucking jigglypuff of all characters

Why bother using sage? You've been in this thread for almost an hour now, if you're trying to downvote a post because you don't like it then go back to reddit

not to mention the community is hands down the worst community in the form of constantly bitching about how they're not taken seriously and special exceptions aren't made for them at all times.

Falcon
Ganon, Falco, Link
NE
MMOM is the hypest fucking local you will ever go to. It's also the only local dedicated to preserving the glory of trash talk, and has no interest in becoming esports trash
Shine 2016: Stay in Your Lane is next month, get fucking hype.

I sage because you're offended by it

Also this. When the celebs have to apologise for the community's behaviour at FG events and memes are made within the community itself about how everyone smells or needs deodorant you know you've got a community issue.

Are you seriously comparing a game with a roster of 56 characters, 3 of which are used per game, to a game that has half that roster? No fucking shit there's not a lot of characters to choose from, retard

Next thing you'll say is that tf2 is a bad game because there's only 9 classes

stay mad meleefaggot

stay bad at videogames scrublord

Sheik

Not nearly good enough to win a game with Sheik's autocombos, let alone counterpick to a different character.
Southwestern Ontario
I remember there being some vague confirmation of Summit 2016 in August, but I can't find anything about it. Aside from that, no big Melee tournaments except for university monthlies, which I wouldn't bother to attend.

Melee players are doing that too. Who'd a thunk it?
At the local level - weeklies, monthlies, etc. - Melee has about a dozen characters who can win a tournament. That's enough for me, because the core mechanics of movement are unparalleled in any other fighting game, and they more than make up for it. The presentation is also much more clear and intuitive in Melee than in something like Marvel or even Guilty Gear, which helps a lot.

last post, quick reminder that games catered to you faggots die because they're not melee while the actual FGC is happy to move between games

This is the list of truly dominant melee top characters and has been for years in no particular order.
This can be counted with both hands.
I never said space animals were the only thing in top 8, I just say that matchups should be balanced around them because they are the top characters.

This applies to every game ever, from balanced games to the most blatantly broken unbalanced things, so it's a bit of a moot point with the grand picture of top play but if you're satisfied with it to a local level then all power to you, I just think that the game could at least be more focused on being competitive.

Play King of Fighters.
I'd fight you but I'm leaving after this post so nah.

Forgot Ice Climbers.
Still both hands.

Considering the current scene is the largest it's ever been 15 years after the game's initial release, there is literally nothing wrong with that.

The skill disparity between the characters and how players use them is huge. In the early 2000s Sheik was considered unstoppable and Jigglypuff was literally unplayable garbage tier.

Then the unprecedented champion of the game for a few solid years exclusively played Marth, now Marth rarely wins tournaments anymore.

The meta is constantly changing and there's nothing wrong with the current roster and tier list other than "hurrr i don't like it" which is exactly the only point you've made this entire time.

My tech skill is pretty on point, I just need to learn to adapt better. You can have shit tech skill and adapt well (see Borp) or have great tech skill but no adaptation (see Westballz)

Marth, baby.
Doc & Ganon
NA
Was planning on going to Summit but its all the way in fucking Hamilton.

Jiggs

Ice Climbers & Cap'n Falcon

Midwest

Not that I know of

Reminder that competitive 2v2 matches are better than 1v1 because you and your partner can help each in matchups you'd be naturally shit against

Rivals of Aether died because it released with three and a half characters and roughly 12 frames of animation for the whole game. Project M is still alive, even if it did get buried last year.

Jigglypuff hasn't been dominant, or even widespread, until recent years. For much of the game's meta, she was though to be an unplayable joke character. You're also ignoring the results put up by Pikachu and Luigi in the hands of Axe and Abate/Eddy Mexico/Vudujin. Amsa single-handedly took Yoshi from unplayable low-tier garbage to a respectable mid-tier.

I understand if that list is really short to you, but you seem to have missed my point. At the weekly level, a dedicated Luigi main could definitely beat some 20XX Fox main vomiting tech skill. I'm never going to be at the level of the top 100 players, so if the game does break down at that level (which I don't believe it does), then it doesn't affect me. If you dislike the idea of those characters being dominant, then I don't really know what to tell you. Every game is going to have dominant characters, and Melee's characters are, at the very least, wildly different from one another.

There's also more than one way to play each character: Westballz, Zhu, and PPMD all have vastly different Falcos, which is something I think a lot of traditional FGC players discount because "his combos are just the same two moves."

I will have a look at some tutorial videos. Still skeptical.

The way GG communicates information is perfectly fine, but I dislike the flashy visual effect every move seems to have, as well as the giant combo counter.

And we're supposed to be the autistocrats?

Isn't it in Kitchener?
smash.gg/tournament/summit-2016
I wish they'd change the name, honestly. If I'd known it was going to be at the start of August I would have ground out a lot more tech skill. As it stands, I don't feel like paying $30 for the experience of going 0-2 in pools.

I would have preferred a regular Smash thread, but this works I guess.
F A L C O N
Ganon, pocket Falco
ON
Still thinking about going to Summit '16 with a pal, but I may be too busy to make it.

Are there any good majors in the next few weeks?

I heard this was the Isabelle thread

I'm sorry but this isn't the Waifu thread, but it's over here if your interested.

There's Summit next week and Smash Con the week afterwards.

good shit

Meme bump. Discuss pic 5.

Samus
Luigi, and Falcon on occasion
QLD, Kangaroo Land
Downsmash, Gold Coast in August.

Hot garbage.
I Pretty much just use area denial tactics with bombs to stop approaches and hard punish with Ftilt, Nair or missiles if they get popped up. I find it hard to even wavedash consistently and will often end up only using it for escaping.

see, this is the real reason Aussies don't have any notable players. Spend 5 goddamn minutes practicing it, you need it for Samus and it's really easy as her. I hope you at least abuse CC to its full extent.

fuck i'd go rep hometown but that's even FURTHER than hamilton, shit.

Roy, Ganondorf second

Wish I knew anyone who still played.

YOU MEAN PROJECT M? CAUSE IT FUCKING SOUNDS LIKE YOU MEAN PROJECT M? Too bad everyone would rather shit all over it cause "muh awful community" even though most of the community is just overlap with some other smash game. You fucking idiots don't even know we have everything you ask for but you won't even take five seconds out of your day to google around.

That's cute. I bet you even think you're so smart for figuring that out. Yeah, no shit, sherlock. People who like Melee will play melee, not some watered down bullshit version of it. This is literally the exact same case with every other fighting game's scene, except for VSav. ST tourneys run on fucking superguns because HDR sucks. 3SO isn't even the latest patch revision of 3s because the most popular revision is what everyone knows. MvC2 is played on dreamcasts because the DC version is arcade perfect, and the PS360 version is based on the Xbox version for some reason, which actually causes the game to run differently. Soul Calibur II HD? Nobody plays soul calibur, get out of here with that shit. Oddly enough, the VSav guys have accepted DSR despite it's differences because they've been so thirst for so long.

Just go to your fucking locals. Even if you lose, you will gain some experience.

There's a reason this is separate from the fighting general, you know. I don't think a lot of people in the competitive Smash scene actually really care if it's a fighting game or not. If they did, why do I not hear them talking about it?

fox/falco dual
marth, roy, and falcon
Tristate. At least I'm not new england or MDVA
Smashcon

HE'S BACK

Anyway, my Falco's pretty rape against scrubs at the moment but still need to work on beating decent players. Tech skill's decent, though my Falco wavedashes still aren't as consistent as I want them. Had some pain in my hands last week, so I took a small break from the game. At least my moonwalks are crispy.

I don't go to tourneys and I probably won't take it seriously as a whole, but god damn the game is so much fun to play once you've mastered the basics. Just watching your characters wave around smooth as butter..it's a nice thing to watch.

Nice. Bring Marth back to the top, PP.

Fox
Sheik
Tristate
Nothing on the radar

Stopped going to tournaments because I could no longer find the time to grind and didn't win often enough to be able to afford it anyway.

It's been 10 years since this was made.
10 years and Roy still has teh PH1R3.

Captain Falcon for life
Yoshi, Marth
NW FL
I don't play party games competitively.

Call me when PM's devs get over their autistic shitfit and resume work on the game, finish up Knuckles/Lyn/Isaac/Saki and can design stages that aren't fucking themed Final Destinations.

Alternatively when actual Sm4sh modding takes off and not circlejerks over model-swaps on the Wii U version only, I like Sm4sh's physics the best of all but aerial momentum blows goats. 3DS and Wii U versions are more or less the same in terms of code, to my understanding, so work from one should be pretty easy to port over to the other at this point, yet all attention remains on the prettier Wii U version.