Is there something inherently wrong with ports/upgraded versions of games? Don't get me wrong...

Is there something inherently wrong with ports/upgraded versions of games? Don't get me wrong, I'm tired of many "remasters" coming out on PS4/Xbone instead of new releases, especially when they're basically the same games running on better hardware. Ports like Sleeping Dogs, GTA5, Last of Us, and that came out a year or 2 later of already common games.

But at the same time, there are some ports or upgraded versions like Perfect Dark, EDF 4.1, which are like nice remixes of the original game that run a lot better, and are games not a whole lot of people probably had a chance to play on release or are hard to find.

It's one of those things that sounds nice in theory but doesn't often work out so well in its execution.

Too much money involved in their creation

With the way the industry is these days, money is all they care about making.

Minimal effort and money spent to make a "all-new" product is all the better. Profit margins exist in any industry, video games are no exception.

Like communism

It's not bad in theory, but it' bad on execution 90% of the time because of intent.
If it's made for money, they won't try to work on it.

I wish DMC4:SE fixed the backtracking

I wish it had some new levels for the characters

When its a much older game, older than one or two generations ago, I don't have a problem with ports and remasters.
I would still prefer new games in most cases, but I'm fine with getting a rerelease of something from my childhood on a modern system in most cases.

Just stop with the rereleases of games from the PS3/360 generation.

Play FF12 on the PS2 and you'll be begging SquareEnix to throw money at them for the remaster.

Oh and a kidney for an Onimusha HD collection.

Modern games are shit so it is only natural that we turn to the past.

I see remakes as a waste of time largely. There is however, value in maintaining a game post-launch and bringing it to other platforms years down the line. This is not necessarily a beneficial thing, particularly when games rely on temporary licensing agreements for content, as is the case with san andreas - but gameplay being preserved is a good thing.

I do worry about elements that are lost in remaster, porting, etc. What if when you port a game from the PS2 to the PS3 as an HD upgrade it messes with timings, visual effects, etc? It may be small now, but what if you end up porting it to the PS6 in 15 years? More and more things may be lost, and the farther it gets from the original experience, the less valid of a reproduced game it is. Accuracy and faithfulness should be cherished, but there isn't much wrong with experimenting with things as conker L&R did over Conker BFD. However, the option to experience it as it was, 1:1 like the Halo Anniversary series of remakes does is commendable and something I'd like to see more of.

The more we redo the past, the more that may be lost to interpretion, the more skewed our perception of the past can be. This is a damaging thing to the industry and distorts the history of games to no benefit of gamers, for it can retroactively and without disclosure incorporate changes that are more modern to a classic work. It's a very tricky balancing act.

why don't they make a conker game that just focuses on the multiplayer.

It can play like this

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with it. Every game is made with making money in mind. What matters is the deal the customer is getting in exchange. REmake is a true remaster that builds upon what made the original so damn good. Dead Rising gives people who didn't want to buy the PoS 360 hardware a chance to play a former exclusive. Perfect Dark, and the two N64 Banjos gives devs a chance to fix parts of games that got fucked due to hardware limitations on certain aspects but otherwise work fine. Ports are integral for gaming, if for no other reason than making sure more people have the ability to play good games.

Unfortunately, most modern ports are just glorified GOTY editions with all the DLC to help keep devs afloat long enough to release a single Super HD game. Those fools really fucked themselves over in development costs and are going to die very quickly once the 460/PS3 are finally put to rest. It's like when the 360 launched and everyone was pissed about multiplats that were almost identical to 6th gen, but ten bucks more.

On a side note, it's been driving me insane that Rare put Conker on the OG Xbox instead of bumping it to another 360 launch title. It would've made far more sense than pumping PDZ at the last minute. It was violent enough and had an online focus, which was what they already wanted from PDZ. Who cares if the game was hard to market? The lack of choice for new console owners at launch would've given it far better odds than being a swan song for the Xbox, which was left for dead the minute its successor came out. Fucking M$ really mishandled Rare at damn near every step.

That was Live and Reloaded. PvZ GW is like a spirtual successor.

The problem with L&R was that retailers freaked and it came at a bad time when the video game violence debate was flaring up and they had that massive recall of "The Guy Game". Wal-Mart refused to stock it and told MS that if they released it as it was, they would stop stocking Xbox because they didn't want to miss a big AAA exclusive either (As if MS released an uncut version as a Gamestop exclusive title. It would piss off a ton of retailers). MS were fighting for shelf space for the 360 and had to back off on that fight.

Also, It was supposed to be out for Holiday 2004 and there was even a demo on the official Xbox magazine in October 2004 or so but it got massively delayed. The decision for PDZ and Kameo to skip the huge was made early in 2004 after it became clear Nvidia was fucking with MS on contracts and Ballmer said he wanted a new console but Rare still reckoned they could hit Holiday 2004 for Conker.

There's plenty of arguments about mishandling Rare but Conker got fucked because of circumstances out of MS hands. Unfortunate because the improvements were really good and the multiplayer was amazing.

were the halo remakes any good?
i like the idea that you can switch from the old to the new textures/models in an instant

Communism sounds as shitty as it actually is

Yes. They were made for specific hardware and pushed them as far as they could.

The port will not.

The original innovated. The port will be trying to steal glory.

Ports should be done by fans.

Final Fantasy and The Legend of Zelda have a good system where sequels can be the same game but different.

Not trying to recreate it exactly, trying to recreate what they fondly remember.

Some wonder.

Truer like that.

Things may need to generate to be perhaps and a game made makes a story true.

If it is special what matters continues.

Don't need a formula just try and whatever from that trying will be beautiful somehow. Don't go back or try to perfect it just try and keep going. Try to give it a happy ever after.

Copyright like all law is a joke.

Fans definately should make what they like maybe even be it.

The generation of it and their fondness may be from them. Could have been theirs to begin with for such an end. Enjoy their life others too going to enjoy such wonder too. A blessing. Do well and they have a higher standard to push away the rest, more of them to make a story.

Things may be in danger of ascociated with opposing things, and the artists may have to struggle to provide the best. Maybe they should.

More originality is better but stories could compliment eachother for a richer world.

For game series people with ideas should do them. And others as well, going into making a game on another scale. Another game can be made to link them together and push hardware more where possible, but not at the expense of what is there. More antialiasing or higher framerate. Maybe more in the environment that it would naturally have or would be nice for it to have. Feilds have grass blades instead of a flat texture. Some design would be lacking in detail. Some just basic level layout to be made individual. Could be people good at beautifying things. Enoughto do they don't do multiple artwork for te same area in competition, just keep trying.

Should be more going from the start to the end in all and all team coming to work together near the end for support and for a grand ending that satisfies all of them, not over until they all are. As they get better the game may too and grow from itself unconnected to the rest. Players getting more incesntive as it becomes more interesting the further in.

Should make it for hardware that doesn't exist or those who have hardware in mind can help tailor the rest to an optimised form so it can be played around the time of completion. PC getting it more raw, and performing much worse, which PC users like. Modification should go into another game. Game tools offered too as part of their masterpiece to be made better as well.

Putting themselves in a precarious (sounds likebthe wrong word).
A perilous position. Which they need to try to avoid sucumbing to. Defeated their cowardice, on to be heroes more linked with their work, their lives stressed so something can be good. Another game, they avoid the resception and stay with the world together. Fans arrive and help it grow around them, them more in it. Fans want stuff in they have to make it worth being in and in that generating something more than what they wanted in, seemingly too good for it, then their own greed to overcome in letting it go so it can go on. Or sharing it where it may be hurt, duty to make it survive as it goes on. Inclusion with something that may fail, be beneath it like damning it. Have faith their contribution can raise it, a fan club for their own character or world.

Should avoid the creation of what isn't loved, things that are in made prettier too.

>just want ports of games that have god awful lag/slowdown , shit framerate like Mega Man, Mario 64, Sonic 06 or games with low amount of copies and/or on an unpopular platform, like Yazuka series, F Zero X Expansion Pak

I dont mind ports of 10+ year old games like Crash, hopefully in retail and fixes EATEN INPUTS especially crash 2

Reminder that we memed Skyrim 2 into existence

I love FF12 to bits and it does need an overhaul. Its coming to the PS4 in an HD version but its going to be the IZJS so its going to be shit.