What are some games that you enjoy despite their flaws? Maybe the visuals are shit...

What are some games that you enjoy despite their flaws? Maybe the visuals are shit, or the game starts to drag towards the end, or the story is stupid, or the controls suck. Whatever the case, you manage to find some value in it despite its problems.

After all, a glaring flaw doesn't mean a game is shit, and if a game does something right, there's no shame in ignoring the bad parts to enjoy the good.

Skyrim? Skyrim.

All games have flaws…

I think the first PMD game's gameplay can be kind of boring without many of the things introduced later in the series, but the music and the admittedly cliche but well written plot do make up the difference for me. It's a personal favorite of mine.

Nitro+ Blasters is a pretty fun fighter that rely on assists to chain longer combos. I've never touched anything Nitro+ but I enjoy fighting games in general so I picked it up after getting interested in the gameplay.

Besides the assists which allows you to cancel nearly anything to make many moves safe. What this game has going for it is the Vanishing Shield. It's like the shield from Melty Blood but it uses no meter, can be held out indefinitely, and give the person being hit a 3 frame advantage. However if you're grabbed while shielding then you can't break it, like in Under Night in Birth.

The combos can get pretty heavy at high level play but most of it is more easy to pull off than it looks. Nearly all the characters are fun to play and still feel somewhat unique even if you've played many fighters.

Main gripes with this game is that the music is very forgettable and some of the stages look bad. Other than that I think it's a solid fighter.

unpopular opinion bread

fuck off rugarel

Dead Island, and to a lesser extent, Dying Light. It could have been much better by being less of a loot-fest and more of a survival horror, but still managed to be a fun bug-filled diamond in the rough. It ended up being a melee-focused Borderlands with zombies, but you know what? That's enjoyable enough to satiate my desires for a few dozen hours.

I want to explode inside Megumin

I liked Hotline Miami 2 despite it not being an upgrade from the original.
My guess would be that people didn't like it as much as the original since 2 was the Last Action Hero to 1's Drive.
Fortunately, I happened to like The Last Action Hero.
I also want to explode inside Megumin

I beat all the side missions in MGSV despite feeling it was pretty mediocre, so I guess I enjoyed it after all.

The Bard's Tale (2005)

►Graphics are embarrassingly bad for a game that came out a year after HL2, and a mere year before Vegas 2. You wouldn't think it was released in the same two-decade-period as Crysis, let alone two years before.
►Combat is too rhythmic and formulaic to be wholly entertaining. The only times you're challenged are when ability balancing goes awry and combat becomes frustratingly difficult; I remember steamrolling the Act II boss like he was nothing, then getting thoroughly ganked by a handful of common creeps from the next area five minutes later.
►Song summon strengths are collectables that don't scale with your level, which means out of the dozen plus of them you wield towards the end of the game, only five or so are still useful for anything.
►Controllers are a fuckup on PC because it uses some kind of digital chimaera cobbled together from scraps of the XInput and DirectInput APIs, with no consideration for the sheer number of bindings the PC version uses. Properly configured you'll still find yourself having to reach for the keyboard for something every now and then.
►Too much undead. The trope wasn't as overplayed when it was released, but all the same- Zombies are a cheap boring way to save creative costs on assets.

But all of this - all of it - is made up for by the excellent comedic writing, the self-awareness, the comfy atmosphere, and The Bard's snark.

I don't have to explain the flaws in this. I just really liked the OST, the fallen knight story, the game play itself was passable enough, and the art direction is really solid. It's a very fantastical setting. Developers also unapologetically triggered focus groups and feminists with the first 5 minutes in the second game, so that's neat too.

Earth 2150 had piss-poor enemy AI and and a rather unfair ammo system for units if you played against said AI (as the latter's conventional weapons never ran out of ammo).

The Lost Souls Xpac also was hard to the point of sometimes being plain unfair, i.e., enemies getting 20 super-heavy tanks or end-game artillery units for free every few minutes while you had to count every dime.

Still had lots of fun with the game - Earth 2150 had all sorts of neat stuff like modular unit design, deformable terrain, weather effects that actually impact your units, neat little things like being able to turn of the lights of your vehicles to make them slower but also harder to spot at night, and so forth.

Silvio is pretty much garbage from a gameplay and technological point of view (to be fair, it's made by a one-man team), but the EVP system is something I really would like to see in more games.

How so?

Gabriel is a wimp ass vampire in the first five minutes and is stumbling around before conveniently being locked in a room with a couple, he slaughters the man and sucks the woman dry. Essentially the scene was branded super controversial and too "rapey" to go into the actual game wherein the developers told them all they intended it to be vampire rape and to deal with it.

If a game has a glaring flaw I usually drop it and play something else.
Closest thing to that for me are otherwise ok to good games but hampered by game crashing bugs or glitches. Might have been the rig I had at the time.

Now on to more interesting pic in OP. While I know much of the humor of kono suba is the crappy near useless party members. With a few tweaks they can actually be really good.
Megumin only needs to learn one lower level offensive spell she can cast more than once, something like a firebolt and she can become a mana fuelled machine gunner or a designated marksman instead of just one cast a day artillery.
training regiment for Megumin: withhold food until she agrees to learn firebolt, with light bullying if needed, subtle threat of casting Steal on her if she's stubborn.

Darkness needs to ditch the sword, and go one handed mace and shield. She has the strength for mace wielding and it looks to be more suited for her fighting style than sword. Shield, kinda obvious why.
training regiment for Darkness: go full dom, tell Darkness there is only room for one adventurer swordman in the group, and that won't be her. If she wants to stay she needs to switch to mace and shield. Promise her lots of shield hit training, if she learns basic competency with the mace she can earn the reward of more verbal abuse and you casting Steal on her. Otherwise she can take her ojousama ass out of the party. So Dom mode, then carrot approach, promise of more carrots, then firm dom mode to let her know you mean business.

Aqua is going to be the more difficult one to improve but not impossible. Training regiment: financial threat. If she invests in any useless parlor trick entertaiment spells after any level up, cut off any shared debt payment permanently. She can do whatever else but after any level up, she must check with you before selecting any new skills. Choosing any skills without consulting first means all financial aid to her is immediately and permanently revoked. Mild bullying can be used for some mild amusement but financial threat is the most effective means of improving Aqua's ability and usefulness.

Here's the scene in question described here . As you can see, it's super graphic.

press F to vampire

Star Ocean 3 is a game I love to pieces, in spite of it's flaws. I also enjoyed 4

I'm glad the 3D character models look better than the drawn art…because christ-allmighty the drawn shit is awful. Which is a bit weird, since the monsters/enemies actually look pretty okay.

It's a bit too easy, it's obviously geared towards kids, but I'll be damned if this game isn't still fun. It's cute, it's comfy, it's memorable, and I have nostalgic love for the game.

Aqua is effectively at max level and has the entire High Priest skill tree bought out on top of her party tricks. Her only issue is that she's a moron.

>they made a fuss about something that relatively tame

You are, from now on and forever, my nigger. Now if only Online wasn't dead.

Aqua is best girl

>Aqua is effectively at max level and has the entire High Priest skill tree bought out on top of her party tricks. Her only issue is that she's a moron.
I thought she could still buy some skill during her level up, it was only her stats that was maxed at start, but I've only seen the animu not the whole manga. Maybe that quick scene of her gleefully and repeatedly swiping her stat card was meant to convey that. But in any case, I'd still go with my basic recommendation. Financial threat, and slightly more bullying. Though up to the OVA she seems to have improved a bit in her spell management.

This is mean as fuck
I like it.

Shit

For

Super Skidmarks for the Genesis. It's my favorite top down view racing game, but unfortunately since it was released only in PAL regions it is 50fps instead of 60. This also applies to a ton of PS1/N64/Saturn era games that were only 30fps or sometimes even lower. I would kill for a emulator with an overclock/hack to bump them up to 60.

Is Konosuba good?

For some reason, The Bard's Tale (2005) gives me a yearning to have a Princess Bride video game. I wonder why?

I like it. It's a parody of stupid 'stuck in a video game' animes, and makes fun of the shitty tropes seen within those shows. The characters are all good and the writing is funny. Lighthearted atmosphere overall, it's a good time.

I'll check it out then. Thanks for the input.

Yeah buddy, it's solid fun. RE Zero isn't really all that fun though.

I liked the concept but I couldn't make it an hour in. They kept taking away control so they could sweep the camera across whatever vista I was supposed to be climbing or traversing next. Combat was pretty good, though, so if you're not triggered by getting your controls taken away for no reason like I am, I can see it being a good game.

I loved Konosuba.