Eurogamer: "Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers"

archive.is/KbDNM

That would mean it's more powerful than the Wii U but less powerful than the Xbox One.
While that's pretty good for a handheld, the fact that there are supposedly "no plans for backwards compatibility" and that there won't be a more powerful non-handheld version bum me out.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/A6Qxd
mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/27156485112864768
mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/401011159232294912
mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/709780402827689984
mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/436020810508021760
mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/678634427614826496
mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/671504420941660160
archive.is/XpxyB
archive.is/GOhwC
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sounds like bullshit. Unless Nintendo are abandoning consoles for good I don't think this will happen.

That's pretty cool
Not Buying.

I was expecting to see a "Sources: Neogaf" but I didn't even get that.

If it's weaker than the pieces of shit that are the PS4/xboners how the fuck are they expecting to get multiplat and 3rd party support?
I have to say that a handheld x console combination is very tempting. I liked the idea of vita crossplay but buying the same game twice was retarded.

So it's like a laptop with wireless controllers built-in then

Thats a fucking phone/tablet GPU. Entire article is a load of horseshit.

I'm tired of these retarded rumors. Wake me up when Nintendo does the proper NX reveal in the fall like they said they would

Considering how some devs have been describing NX support as just a few lines of code and compiling their existing PS4/XBO games, I'm not convinced this article is accurate.

They combined their handheld and console divisions last year, which is one of the main fuel sources for this rumor.

The rumor says docking station, which is interesting. Maybe it will have extra processing power there?

As long as they keep putting SNES games on the 3DS I'm good with it (give me SMRPG dammit). Hell, there's no reason they can't make new emulators for a Tegra processor, the fans have obviously already done it.

Given that it's a tablet form factor, that would make sense.

Personally I think focusing on less power and graphics is a good choice for Nintendo; they've struggled with HD development since they were forced to finally upgrade to 1080p with the Wii U. But on the other hand, it's a major hamstring, like said, to third parties looking to port things over. Then again, I think the form factor is going to do that, even if the console is underpowered.

I dunno. We've seen several teams (like Retro) stay completely mum on projects even though they should have long-since had something to show us by now. I hope that when they reveal the NX they've got a really strong launch lineup to show off as a result. And I think if Nintendo only truly cared about first party games, handheld is definitely the way to go, since they've always preferred weaker processors and fewer pixels to worry about. But if this is real, and the third parties don't back it, it would be an astounding number of times that they haven't learned from previous failures.

Let me post, Spicy Circles.

So like this?

Eurogamer has a pretty good track record with leaks, and remember how well the Wii U fared and how (un)popular consoles are in Japan in general?
This hybrid idea would finally help get rid of the software droughts on each of their platforms.
This is also given credence by the fact that Nintendo's handheld and console divisions recently finalized their merger.

You know, I have to agree.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that this is true. What would you do? Would you get it?

Everytime a hardware developer does this I just want to rip their head off

I would wait in line for it

Like always, it depends on the lineup. Given I've owned every Nintendo console since the NES, the answer is "almost certainly," but it took me a fair while to finally get a Wii U.

But if they come out at announcement with footage of a new Metroid Prime game done by Retro, and an open-world Mario or similar, and they're gonna carry over my Virtual Console games, and yadda yadda yadda, then it's a day-one purchase for me.

But if it's just, "look at the controller and imagine the possibilities! Here's a new Wii Sports, and of course a port of Zelda!" then I'm probably gonna wait and see what else shows up over its lifespan.

NX is dead before it even came out

Eurogamer means it's probably legit, they take their sources pretty seriously when they're not stirring shit with their 20 social justice articles a day.

Depends, if it looked exactly like it does in the patent drawings, then no(But no console ever looked exactly like patent drawings). If it looked more like pics related, with a new Metroid, an NX port of Smash Bros with all DLC, and something else exciting at launch(that isn't Zelda) like Splatoon 2 or F-Zero, I'd consider it.

The idea itself sound amazing in the hands of a company that understands value and makes an effort for quality.

Since this is being made by Nintendo though, it's gonna be a gimped piece of garbage no one in their right mind would ever touch.

Yeah, I never guaranteed this is legit, I'm just saying eg don't have a bad record and an obsolete-on-arrival Fisher Price tablet with a proprietary crap OS sound recently realistic for modern Nintendo.

Honestly, what are they supposed to do?

Except they've already done that though. Nintendo may do a lot of things wrong but repeat mistakes(Ones that big especially) is not something they do

If they put a main series Pokemon on a system where I can play it on my TV I will buy that system. I haven't bought a non-handheld Nintendo console since the Gamecube.

The GamGgear failed because it was fuck huge, heavy and sucked battery life harder than Sanders is currently sucking up to all of those in the DNC that fucked him over.

Unless the NX is using some as of yet undisclosed battery type, or can recharge through microwaves, it's not going to be portable, not if it wants to have the capacity to run even a severely downgraded version of the next LoZ

Fuck me, Game Gear

You're going for some surrealist comedy, right?

Terrible clickbait article, why would Nintendo make a "portable" console when they already have the fucking 3DS?

The 3DS is over 5 years old, user. Even the New 3DS is almost two years old.

The DSi launched in 2008, about 2-3 years before it was replaced by the 3DS. So we're right on schedule for Ninty to announce and release a full successor to the 3DS. The DS lasted longer (2004-2011) but part of that was simply that it sold 150 million units. The 3DS has, by comparison, only sold 60 million.

STOP WITH THESE NX FUCKING RUMORS

JESUS FUCK

It sounds awful.

It's eurogamer straight up saying it whereas before they would not comment in such a way because they had not verified. They've seen it if they're writing that article.

Because 3DS sales are slowing and they need their next big handheld to keep their next failure of a console from sinking them

Not a portable console, dolt, a portable console. You can carry it with you and it's got the power of a proper dedicated at-home system.

They don't.

How many Western devs currently make games for the 3DS or Vita?

This thing is meant for Japan/Asia and Nintendo cultists.

And dropped.

It's Tegra fool.

That is not a powerful console.

what gave you a sliver of hope beforehand?

Don't we still have a total blank as for what the console's actual specs are outside of rumors and speculation, or has something changed that I wasn't aware of in the past few weeks?

that phone in your pocket would have run for about fifteen minutes if it used the batteries the Game Gear did.

so many "mobile" parts

i'm getting ouya flashbacks

Looks like shit, tbh.

Yeah, fan art of baseless rumors tends to look like shit

We know it's baseless. Thanks for nothing.

This is the kind of gimmick that would stop people from buying a system. I know it would stop me.

The reason most people get a home console and not a handheld is because they want comfortable controllers and good graphics that aren't painful to look at. This would result in a shitty to carry portable console and a shitty to use home console and I can't see Nintendo being that fucking stupid. I can see them being pretty fucking stupid, but not that stupid.

In other words, fake and gay, fuck off nigger.

Have you been in a coma for the last decade? Or, have you not fully read the OP? We are talking about Nintendo. Why would they suddenly start to act reasonable, or care about what their customers want?

Fucking browser crashed several paragraphs into a post. Let's try this again.

This sounded like bullshit at first, but if you take the Tegra chipset rumor to be true, it starts to make more and more sense.

I imagined the NX to be a modestly powered portable based on a standard ARM mobile chipset, with a separately purchaseable roughly PS4-tier AMD-based home console that the portable acts as a controller for. Games would be developed for both platforms simultaneously. Devs would very easily be able to crank up the resolution, antialiasing, and texture detail (assuming they downsample source assets for mobile) for the home version. Normal people would be happy with the portable, "hardcore gamers" would want both so they could get the best experience.

I wanted this to be true. The portable side would prop up the business, but I'd still get to shell out for a high powered Splatoon machine. But in hindsight, this would defeat the purpose of merging the home and portable divisions. The difference in performance between a modest portable and a powerful AMD console would ensure that neither side is happy. You could target portable first, and the home release would be derided as a lazy mobile port. You could target home first, and now the portable release is going to look and perform like ass. You'd be hamstringing Nintendo's core business for the sake of their weaker one. Or you could put the effort in to make both sides look and perform as best as possible, and now you're putting in all of the work that they're doing now to target games like Smash to both Wii U and 3DS, and getting less money out of it because you purchase one game for both systems.

So instead, the portable is the console, and the part that plugs into your TV is a glorified charging station and AV out. They're hoping that NVIDIA's Tegra chipset will be powerful enough to bridge the gap between the formats. It's a very interesting move. Tegra chipsets, in spite of their graphics performance, have sold terribly because cost, other on-chip functionality, system integration concerns, and availability were more important for smart phone and tablet manufacturers. Whereas a gaming-focused chipset will be perfect for Nintendo's needs and they have no availability concerns because all the parts are manufactured under their contract.

Perhaps more importantly, Nintendo has a ton of leverage over NVIDIA here. They will essentially be the first (and for the foreseeable future, only) real customers of their mobile chipsets. They pretty much get to decide the future of this division that NVIDIA has sunk billions of dollars into waiting for a lucky break. It's not unlike the situation that Sony and Microsoft have had with AMD, propping up their struggling APUs. Which, in turn, is yet another reason why an NVIDIA deal makes sense; Nintendo is probably uncomfortable with how close their competitors are to AMD, and NVIDIA is motivated to take back part of the console space that they had completely ceded to AMD.

(continued)

how do you expect a handheld to read blu rays?

Base station could do it.

Bigger problem is the Tegra chip.

I'm a little bit curious about what controllers they will use for when the thing is plugged on the tv, Nintendo always tries to ad some sort of couch co op.

Leaks were already happening

The big question is, how well will it perform? The linked article compares Tegra favorably to the PS3 and 360 (lol), but it's going to be disappointing if it can't outperform the Wii U. The Wii U used an extremely outdated CPU architecture (essentially the GameCube's CPU, but with 3 cores and clocked at 1.24 GHz), and a moderately outdated GPU architecture (AMD's generation of GPU before the one used in the PS4 and Bone). I think Tegra could trounce the CPU and compare favorably with the GPU, with comparable power draw and cooling. It would be easy to increase the clock rate when the unit is plugged into the base station, but how do you solve the cooling problem? You can't exactly stick a heat sink on the back of handheld… or can you? The removable controls could reveal a heat sink that fans could access.

An even weirder alternative would be a combination of this leak and my original idea: The portable is Tegra based, the base station is also Tegra based, but in a configuration with more GPU cores, higher clock rate, proper cooling etc. You'd get improved performance at home, and the development effort wouldn't change much because the hardware would be nearly the same.

Or maybe neither and it performs the same whether its plugged in or not, because they really want to push the "its the same experience at home or in your pocket" narrative.

Another concern is that bottom screens and touch screens have been a fairly significant part of Nintendo's game design for a while now. The suggestion is that the NX will have a single screen, which already begins to mess with a bunch of games that rely on a second screen for a minimap. But more importantly, if the gamepad is removed from the base chipset for home use, how do you make use of touch at all? Does the screen come off along with the base chipset, forming something not unlike a Wii U gamepad? I'd honestly prefer that to what the article suggests, the sides of the controller snapping off and back together.

Lastly, I've been fairly home console focused, and many people ITT clearly are as well, judging by all the "fuck this casual portable shit." But while the Wii U was flawed and poorly marketed, it was, in a sense, proof that consumers weren't really interested in traditional home consoles from Nintendo any more. So instead of thinking of this as a weird home console, it makes more sense to think of it as a really cool portable. It may not be exactly what we wanted, but it sounds like it will go over incredibly well with their core mobile audience, while providing a sustainable future for their smaller home audience.

After the failure of the wii u and nintendo's recent behavior as a whole, i think it'll be a huge failure. No way in fuck will they be able to pull this off propely.

if they want the normalfags they could have a Pokemon Go version for that thing that has no microtransactions or comes with a fuck ton of lures

I expect a TV-dongle, rather than a docking station. It'll run and look like shit, be way too heavy for a handheld, and have terrible battery life.

You could be a little less obvious with your Nintendoom shilling, SonyGAF.

Nintendo handhelds and portable games sell like hotcakes. You can't dispute this, they've been consistently profitable for decades. Ignore the home console side completely: why wouldn't a high powered Nintendo handheld that plays both the games that you'd expect on a portable AND the games that you'd expect on their home consoles be a massive success? This is literally what you always wanted. This is literally the justification you gave when you shilled for the Vita over the 3DS "lol gimmicks and shitty specs"

I doubt Game Freak will ever go full GO, they're very traditional and set in their ways. I can see them pushing local multiplayer more, and maybe having a few Pokemon that can only be caught through AR gimmicks.

Tegra is actually very power efficient, as long as they don't clock the thing at full balls to the walls home console speed when in portable mode. Combine that with the rumored single screen (LCD backlights are usually the worst power drains in mobile devices, which is part of the reasoning behind the push for OLEDs), and the NX has the potential to have better battery life and be lighter than the 3DS.

ok

*to add on to what i said, i guess i couldve been a little more thorough in regards to what i mean by them not being able to pull it off, what i mean is, sure their handheld shit is obviously a success always has been and always will be, but understand they're roping in their shit ability to make consoles with their innate skill at making handhelds. This could either go really well or really awful
Vote's on awful obviously.

I mean they already had Dream Radar on the 3ds, I dont think having GO on the nx is too crazy

Full Retard Nintendo Defense Force
Reasonable, Intelligent, Unbiased Game Lovers of Holla Forums

There's also a rumor that the NX will move to a proprietary cartridge system for the increased memory capacity and load speed over Blu-Rays.

i say full retard defense force because anyone who finds themselves "superiour" in any aspect does not start their sentence off with ">all this (1)
You could be a little less obvious with your Nintendoom shilling, SonyGAF."
if you wanna be taken seriously, start there.

If they do that then lets hope it's a real cartridge and not just a funny looking flash stick called a cartridge.

I don't have a WiiU so Zelda plus ports of Splatoon or Smash would probably be enough to get me on board

I like the idea of detachable controllers so you don't have to hold the screen your trying to watch, which I find you can't get comfy while doing

Funny-looking flash sticks would make them easy as shit to rip

Dedicated handhelds are dying in the West user.

I see kids with smartphones not 3DS/Vita.

This thing will be a niché device with lots of Japanese games.

This. Eurogamer also helped verify the PS4 Neo spec leak as well. They wouldn't report unless they had evidence.

They also did the "Behind the scenes" on Wii U development with the "Secret Developer" that showed it was a shitshow (Though eventually the studio was figured out. It was Criterion Games)

With the "Supplemental device" patents. I wouldn't be surprised if the dock had a second Tegra in it and it can run in a mode with multi-GPU settings (Vulkan can support OGL but I'm betting Nintendo will run their own fork instead)

Who they sell it at is going to be interesting. Apple put out it's quarter results and while they smashed it in software and media revenue (Apps and iTunes). Devices completely tanked with Phones in particular going 15% down YoY and a shrinking "Leisure" tablet market as "Productive" tablets take over (OEM's are ditching android in favor of W10 because enterprise customers want windows. Samsung being the biggest one so far).

Nintendo might be coming into a tablet market that doesn't exist anymore and that could wreck the product before it even starts out.

Could it be possible for Nintendo to make a handheld style gaming platform that has access to a limited amount of processing power (for handheld style games) and then the docking station could give more processing power for more normal console games when at home?

Maybe this will be good, I want more power than WiiU, and if it runs a Tegra X2 it will have plenty of power to have games with good visual fidelity and great performance. having the side controllers break into individual controllers with a single control stick each would be great for quick multiplayer, I hope Nintendo decides to continue supporting all the WiiU controllers, the pro is pretty good.

Putting additional power in the docking station is a stupid idea, you'd either be having the external GPU be much more powerful and take over from the internal GPU when docked significantly increasing the price of the system and requiring developers to optimize for 2 GPUs, this on top of losing the bonus performance of having the CPU and GPU share a single cache. If the internal and external GPUs connect and work in tandem like SLI then the performance gain would be minimal and not work well for price, developers would have to optimize additionally for SLI, and the internal GPU which shares a cache with the CPU would be working below it's max because the identical external GPU would be delivering frames slower than the internal GPU.

Whatever it is, if it's less powerful than the Xbone, then it shows Nintendo learned nothing from the Wii U. Hardware is not just about "Graffix", it's about making system viable for developers to port to.

If you have hardware so behind that developers have to totally rebuild their game for your system specifically, you have no place to complain when developers ignore the system.

Not entirely true but the NX would be using arm based CPUs so already it's going to be a cunt to port titles to, I never really thought Nintendo needed to court third parties like other consoles personally, if they made a console that sold and it's power wasn't too far off other platforms 3rd parties would make room for them in their release cycle. I've always thought Nintendo just need more games, combining mobile and stationary releases would be a good way to accomplish a consistent stream of titles, but an ever better way to do this would be to hire more fucking people, fucking Nintendo.

CPU type is only relevant when either the CPU have some horrible, HORRIBLE performance flaw, like taking eons to perform a single if statement, or when the game is coded in asm which is something nobody does nowadays.
From a C compiled game point of view, its the same shit given the fact the compiler that will do all the micromanaging.

And well, ARM don't have any crippled bullshit you have to avoid like a Cell CPU.
All rules you have on x86 also apply to it, but it is just slower, unless fighting some mobile shit like jaguar.

It will most likely be just a case of "set to 720p and forget".

>Everything is cartridges based so no load time issues If Sony, Microsoft and even Sega and Nintendo themselves back in the day can say FUCK COMPATIBILITY then so can modern Nintendo.

Too bad they'll fuck this up and it will be a disaster.

I would say what they need on this one is an actually good online service.
They have the perfect headshot on "portable call of duty", given the fact tablets can't do that, and they can hit it if they don't fuck up online.

I hope they don't aim for different graphics for mobile and stationary.

Isn't part of working with DeNa about building up their online infrastructure?

Do people want call of duty on mobiles for $60?

Eh look I'm a Nintendrone and I know if the NX doesn't have good games and if it still has bad censorship then its going to sink

Well, that's the question.
NX is not a mobile exactly, but a dedicated console with actual buttons and sticks.

He means mobile as in portable

Do you think that they're going to shift to a completely different architecture just to stop piracy

Yeah, if the NX has region locking and/or bullshit censorship I will hold off on buying regardless of how powerful or how not-gimmicky this console is.

I know, but the "big question" is if the difference between a smartphone and the NX is enough to convince people to play CoD on it.

Censorship honestly doesn't matter to a vast majority of consumers unfortunately, FE Fates sold better than Awakening in it's first month on sale, Xenoblade Chronicles X sold within range of it's Wii counterpart relative to Japanese sales. The only problems Nintendo really have to face right now with the NX are branding, girth of video games and price, there's probably more though.

I mean I doubt it, people like to play Call of Duty on a big screen with dew and doritos at their side, I don't personally think people will care for mobile functionality, however an easily portable home system with it's own screen could prove popular amongst younger audiences with lan party like gaming.

First Nintendo sold the core audience out for casuals with the Wii, it bit them in the ass when neither casuals nor core went for the WiiU, and now they're going to sell out whomever is left for mobile. All this bullshit with Pokemon Go is what clinched the deal. I absolutely guarantee that NX will have some faggy mobile functionality.

Region lock doesn't really matter to much to general consumers, but even Iwata said it was one thing the NX would be moving away from, hopefully this proves true.

I really hope it won't end up looking like this.

I have the theory that the mobile thing will be the system being able to create a Wifi network where you can connect your devices to and access a local page with video stream that can interact with the game.
But it's just an offshot rumor based on a very sketchy rumor that says that "NX can interact even with the PS4" and some mobile sync patents.

Nintendo's stocks just dropped 18% because they made a statement that they're not abandoning traditional games for mobile whatsoever, full-house. Mobile vultures were trying to set up camp after Pokemon Go's success and now they're pulling out.

Really?

While I appreciate these posts, I still think that it is all just bullshit.

GBA: 33.6 million units sold in the US
DS: 59.94 million units sold in the US
3DS: 19.76 million units sold in the US

In comparison (disclaimer: via vgchartz)
360: 48.94 million units sold in the US
PS2: 53.65 million units sold in the US
PS3: 38.94 million units sold in the US
PS4: 15.51 million units sold in the US so far

That's a decline, sure, but by no means "dying." Gaming consoles are inherently a more niche product than smart phones. Don't compare the sales of iThings to hundreds of millions of normalfags. Compare it to the other dedicated gaming devices that sell in similar numbers.

Only time will tell, but I was imagining something similar in size to a New 3DS or New 3DS XL, but with only one screen. A full sized tablet would be too cumbersome for portable usage, though we may see an NX XL at some point.

As for the cost, the NVIDIA Shield K1 (older Tegra K1 core, but with a 1920x1200 display, an external gamepad, and various other goodies, mind you) sells for $200. I'd imagine Nintendo could sell the NX for under $200 and turn a profit. I doubt they'll repeat the mistake they made with the 3DS and launch it at a higher $250 price point.

It's unclear if they will include the base unit in the package or sell it separately. Splitting the two would cut costs on the portable a little more, while allowing them to make loadsamoney marking up the base station. They will probably split the two in Japan, where they don't even include chargers for their portables, but in the US it's harder to tell.

Anything's possible. I listed some ideas for how they might achieve that in an earlier post. is probably right though about the cost of more hardware in the base unit, the most plausible way to improve performance while docked IMHO would be to increase the clock rate and possibly provide a cooling system, and even that's a big if.

The OS in general is the biggest wildcard here. The source claims (unsurprisingly) that Nintendo is using their own OS. While it's definitely a good thing that they aren't using Android (I quite sincerely think this would have singlehandedly killed the device), Nintendo doesn't exactly have a great track record with their OS software. They're the epitome of polished UI with terrible UX (user experience) with gimped background services, tedious load times between menus, and so on.

Imagine getting a message from a friend. You press the home button, and it could instantly pause the game and switch to the messenger. Or it could be stuck loading for 5 seconds. Or say you want to look up a guide in the web browser. It could be as fast as alt-tabbing on a PC, or it could be a 30 second ordeal like the Wii U. That's the kind of difference in experience we could have on our hands.

Call of Duty? No. Splatoon, quite possibly.
3DS games are $40, Wii U games are $60. I wonder if they'll stick NX games at $50 or keep them down at $40. I don't see them going all the way up to $60.

The OS indeed could be a really kick in the nuts in several aspects.
For example, apparently the TegraX1 chip supports only 4GB of memory (but they could custom it).
But if the OS is small, like let's say 300MB, this put it on par with Xbone in terms of available memory, as the bloody thing actually use fucking half of the memory to load up windows 10.

I wonder how many people will be weary of it though when it releases, mainly because of how much of a mixed bag the Wii U ended up being.

Well, a first great big move is to not fucking call it Wii something.

Huh.

I wonder why Sony is launching PS4 Neo and MS is launching the Xbone Scorpio. If it is VR, I don't know who would lose harder.

Increasing the clock rate is a small insignificant gain, I doubt Nintendo will use it in that way at all. Personally I just think that the dock is for charging, holding the screen in an upright position and providing both wireless and wired linking to the tv, they already developed the technology to stream video to the gamepad with no perceivable delay last gen, it wouldn't surprise me if they reversed that tech for streaming from the system to the tv.

Nintendo should use a linux based OS, the WiiU OS was bloated as fuck, the Xbox 360 OS ran way smoother and the whole system had less than half the ram the WiiU os was allotted. I doubt Nintendo would have used Android for anything but a base, they undoubtedly like the idea of their own closed environment.

Don't Nintendo already release games at two price points anyway, I recall Captain Toad and Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush being priced lower than other titles, if they follow that for titles that are more mobile in their dna then I can get behind that.

Do we know it's not Wii anything? I'm guessing that the change from the white and silver branding to the red and white branding says they won't be continuing with Wii anymore.

Who honestly thought that name was a smart idea? Especially when they wanted to bring back a "core" audience at first?

Microsoft is gonna lose, Sony outsmarted them just like last time, they let Microsoft play their hand, they change their hand based on what Microsoft played and play the new hand, they did it with PS4 which initially had a similar DRM system to Xbox One, and they are undoubtedly going to aim to undercut and overpower the Xbox Scorpio, Microsoft is run by people with as much business sense as Nintendo's executive branch.

A Nintendo executive.

They thought that the New 3DS was good name. Maybe it is a Japanese thing. I wonder if the Japanese audience also got confused with the Wii U.

Jesus wept.

If this is true though, it might be the first Nintendo system i skip.

Any particular reason to do so?

archive.is/A6Qxd
Atari founder 'baffled' by Wii U
webm related

He wasn't wrong in hindsight.

I was talking about the headline.

Thanks. You might prefer these older ones, where I explained my reasoning behind a cheap portable + powerful home console. At this point I recognize that the Tegra direction both makes more sense for Nintendo and is more in line with what they've been hinting about a "new experience," but anything is possible.

It's uncertain whether the chipset will be closer to a Tegra X1 or the unreleased Tegra Parker with NVIDIA's own custom Denver ARM core, but either way, it will certainly be heavily customized and Nintendo will have more than enough pull to request things like more memory support if they need it.

That said, even the iPad Pro has 4GB of RAM in its best configuration, and 2GB in the smaller one. The Wii U only had 2GB of RAM as well. 4GB would most likely be more than enough.

The OS really is my biggest worry here. My hope is that since they will be communicating heavily with NVIDIA engineers, NVIDIA will have the balls to give them honest criticism and offer to work on parts of the backend under contract.

I think both companies got caught with their pants down by the NX announcement and assumed they were going to take the performance crown from them with a newer AMD chipset, so they panicked. It may or may not prove to be a good thing: current PS4 owners might get screwed, or semi-regular backwards compatible refreshes (like smart phones/tablets, but on a slower scale) might end up being the new direction of traditional home consoles.

I should put this differently: current mobile chipsets are actually quite powerful, much closer to desktop than you'd expect. The thing is, they are hamstrung by the energy and cooling requirements of mobile devices. You can never get the full power out of a phone or a tablet for more than very short bursts, otherwise it will chew through the battery and literally burn the user. But put that same chipset in an enclosure with a good heatsink, fan, and mains power supply, and it can run at full tilt indefinitely, at which point a large part (not all, obviously) of the performance difference between "desktop chipsets" and "mobile chipsets" vanishes. That's what I'm suggesting they do with the enclosure, not "hurr look 100 more mhz vroom vroom"

The main difference between chipsets designed for mobile and chipsets designed to be plugged into a wall is in how they treat memory. Desktops can afford to throw wider memory channels at the problem to gain loadsabandwidth. That is, if you have RAM chips that can transfer X bits per clock cycle, then can get 4 times more bandwidth out of four 128MB RAM chips than you would out of a single 512MB chip, as long as your bus is wide enough to handle it. Look at the DIMMs in your PC or the memory portion of your GPU, they've got dozens of little chips soldered to them. Whereas mobiles can't afford to power those wide memory controllers and lots of RAM chips, so they'd prefer the single 512MB chip. So while you can make up a lot of the difference with proper cooling and power supply, you can't make up for the fundamental difference in memory architecture.

This is why pretty much all mobile GPUs are tile based, meaning they render a small portion of the framebuffer at once so that they can fit each tile completely into fast on-chip SRAM and counteract part of the downside of lower memory bandwidth. EXCEPT, interestingly, Tegra chipsets, which I believe are the only immediately rendered mobile chipsets on the market.

As for the OS, I'm assuming it will derive from the 3DS's OS rather than the Wii U's, as it is newer (not deriving from the Wii's OS) and better designed.

does that even work well, at best you can aid circulation of cool air, but as a mobile device tightly packed in you'd be able to do even less.

What kind of difference in power and I'd like to see sources, I'm just a little dubious about how much power this would actually give them? enough to increase resolutions, or enough to increase render distances, or just enough to stabilize performance?

concerning the Ram issue if it's built to be a mobile device than surely they would aim for the most power efficient solution.

Honestly I don't know, clearly, but I'm dubious this could work out as well as you think it would.

see

Here are some tweets from John Carmack, who has been working extensively with mobile chipsets for Gear VR over the past few years.

mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/27156485112864768
mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/401011159232294912
mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/709780402827689984
>mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/436020810508021760
mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/678634427614826496
mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/671504420941660160
>Xi Yang [email protected]/* */
>John Carmack [email protected]/* */_AA_Carmack

That's my point. They could extract a lot more out of the same chipset with a proper cooling system, but they can't overcome the decreased memory bandwidth compared to chipsets designed to be plugged into a wall from the start.

I fucking hate what the Wii U ended up being

If they want to sell good they better make sure games aren't the only thing it does, especially as a portable it'd be so good if it could play disc based movies.

If the NX turns out to be what we think it will then you'll get your wish this time

I mean I know it's pretty rare anymore but what of local co-op? I guess optional link to the TV is an alright idea (not splitting the power between two screens though, static image on device screen at most). This is Nintnedo though, just look at how they handled the fucking gamecube controller support.

I think the biggest limiter the mobiles have at the moment is Open GL ES.
ES 3.0 sucks HARD on most devices, so unless you're planning to make a tegra only game, you have to use 2.0 that is pretty much DX9 level bullshit with some extra crippling here and there to make the situation worse.
Also Doom III is not a good tegra only example because they did it just because the chip supports Open GL 2.1 instead of just GLES which made the port easier.
No Open GL 4+ stuff there.

Yeah maybe it doesn't matter to a vast majority of consumers because it doesn't fucking matter you goddamn purists if you want to see the panty lace and the corny dialogue FE fates removed buy the japanese version like you were fucking going to anyway

Yes region locking is bad, which is why Nintendo said they would look into removing it

Thankfully pretty much all consoles use much lower level, more hardware specific APIs. And even if they did use vanilla OpenGL, NVIDIA has by far the best OpenGL support of any graphics vendor.

I really hope the NX isn't region locked. Price discrimination isn't really common any more, all region locking does is kill sales of niche unlocalized titles and give monopolies to shitty localization companies.

Also Doom 3 is a bad benchmark for modern hardware in general. Stenciled shadows did not win out from a technical or artistic perspective.

NINTENDOUYA

triple post

I somewhat misread your post. As limited as it is, I don't think ES 2.0 is the main thing holding mobile back. Rather it's the inherent heat and power problems, and the terrible drivers most vendors provide.

I highly anticipate seeing what console-tan people come up with for the NX.

Should i feel retarded if i have no idea how to hold this?

It's the terrible drivers that hold the games back into the ES2.0 era.
With more modern techniques, you can actually do more by the same heat amount because you can save a FUCKTON of CPU time by using less draw calls.
There is a reason why using vulkan on mobiles cut down the battery use in 20-30%

ZEENTENBO

I leaked this info to you guys last month and you cried foul. Now the news runs it.
Nintendo is copying the TG home/portable system setup with cartridges….and that is all I will ever leak here because there are too many cunts.
It offers more with multiplayer as well, but I will let someone else leak that.

Why would i trust things that say eandom user? withou any prof you are spider for me

I just read the news that Ninty took the nVidia bait, and as someone who worked on these piece of shit SoCs, I'll chip in. Just one thing - I remember some leaker somewhere saying that "Nintendo is doing something like android but it's not really android and they're scared that people will think it's android". This fits the bill perfectly

Let's first have a brief history of Tegra CPUs shall we?

Tegra 1 - never released commercially
Tegra 2 - ARMv7 WITHOUT Neon - the ARM version of SSE. Absolute shit. Oh, and was sold to OEMs on the lie that it could do 1080p video. When OEMs got the chip, the docs specified the display can go up to 1336x768. The explanation was that the chip could DECODE 1080p video, but not output it. Notable uses : nobody cares

Tegra 3 - the phone version of the SOC had it's support cut 8 months after release, and thus it was the last time most OEMs touched nVidia. Also, the chip was notorious for missing it's advertised thermal envelope. It had a 5th "low power" core which was supposed to kick in idle to save power. That never happened because they fucked up the pinmuxing for auxillary hardware, both on hardware and software front, and the cpu rarely stayed in idle mode for long enough. So that meant it got hot and sucked up battery like a thai ladyboy. On the performance front, it kept up with it's contemporaries for the time, but supposedly nVidia asked for a premium vs what Qualcomm would charge for it's contending Snapdragons. Was the first notable mobile chip to heavily throttle itself. Notable uses : The Ouya :^)

Tegra 4 - An arch bump from Cortex A7 to A15, and all the shit that comes with that. A lot less OEMs took the bait this time, to the point that nVidia had to make it's own hardware to show that the chip isn't complete shit. It still was. It was behind in CPU benchmarks on release day. The tagline was "wait for K1, it'll be good!" Notable uses : The Shield console

4i - I don't even fucking remember, look it up on wiki.

At this point nVidia understood that the general market gave up on them (rightfully so), so in a desperate attempt they opensourced everything they had for Tegra 2-4 in hopes that the Linux and Raspberry Pi would be interested. They weren't.

Tegra K1 - Oh boy, here we go, this is the real meat. This name can actually be one of 2 chips - it can either be a 4+1 A15 stock ARMs or a 2 core chip from "Project Denver" which was in their eye the second coming of silicon Jesus. Also, these chips now have the "proper" Geforce GPU part, not the Geforce ULP which was present in Tegra 2-4. It's pretty cut down of course, to fit inside the silicon and thermals (or try for that matter)

Stock ARM15 - It's mostly a higher clock Tegra4. Still shit, can't drive the Kepler GPU properly. The 1st shield tablet used this

Denver - oohh boy. The amount of marketing and shilling they did on this was off the fucking charts. Understand, that at this time EVERY OTHER SOC had at least 4 cores, and ARM was beggining it's big.Little push. And nVidia had only 2 cores. The magic sauce was that they though they're actually better than ARM itself, and could optimize the ARM ISA on the fly, courtesy of old Transmeta IP they bought some years back. In layman terms, they decoded ARM instructions on the fly, and reorded them into their own special-sauce ISA, which supposedly was architecture-neutral (so Denver could run x86 or PowerPC ISA if they wanted to). They also embedded some RAM on the chip for caching already-decoded routines. It failed fucking spectacularly. Look for Nexus 9 reviews on just how bad it was. It runs *worse* than Qualcomms A15 chips, again, courtesy of their "dynamic recompiler". Talking about making use of that GPU in this environment is a fucking joke. Oh, it was also the first 64bit ARM chip for android if memory serves correctly, so at the beggining people were thinking it was the fault of android/linux kernel/drivers because everything is not optimized for 64bit yet. That wasn't the case :^) Only device to ever use this was the Nexus 9 I wonder why :^)

Tegra X1 : Ok, so this one ditched Denver, and again uses stock cores from ARM. It has a big.Little config of 4+4, which means it will either use 4 low power cores or 4 high power cores - this is transparent and out of control of the software (or at least it's like that in every other chip). Has a Maxwell GPU (although very cut down in relation to cores). Can't say anything more on this one, since at this point I'm not touching anything mobile that has nVidia in it. BUT the cool thing is you can already get a feeling for it - look at the nVidia-centric PC ports for the shield tablet v2 or shield tv, like say Portal. They're usually VERY cut down, and the framerates hover around 20-30fps. On the other hand, the emulation scene went fucking nuts over this one, with dreamcast having the best emulator of them all for this particular chip only.

From what I can see in the press, the X2 is supposed to be Denver-2 + current-Geforce on FinFET. I HIGHLY doubt they learned fucking anything. And I also bet Ninty is getting fucked on the price of these chips. There's a reason why Microsoft dropped nVidia after Xbox hueg like a hot potato (and consequently decided to fuck em back by withholding the specs of DX9 from them, which led to the clusterfuck that was Geforce FX).

Thanks for the insight. Do you really think they could fuck Nintendo over on this, though?
They already had a deal with Nintendo blow up seemingly last-minute with the Nintendo 3DS.

I heard speculation that they are so desperate to break into the console market and to get Tegra chips implemented anywhere that they are giving Nintendo a really good deal on this one.

First time I heard about this, but if it's true, it may be a reason for the "scared it will be seen as an android device" - the reason being the existence of the shield console and tablet. Might be why there was no shield console v2.

Also, screenshot this for future's sake - if they're really using their SOC you can fucking wave goodbye to any semblence of a good battery life. Especially if they decide to implement something like the 3DS streetpass/spotpass thingie.

I think both parties here are desperate in their own right.

I've been saying since the WiiU, that Ninty is at a technological dead end of their road. They've been evolving their tech since the GC - the CPU is a G3, and I'm betting they've had a cosy relationship with the ArtX guys, now AMD WAAAY back since the SGI N64 times. Now IBM is out of that market space completely, so they have to change architectures, which throws any bw compatibility out of the window.

So what were their options, considering they want a mobile chip ?

Intel - they could use an Atom chip, but their GPU is a step down from what they had. The thermals and size would match though.
AMD - they don't have a mobile-enough APU for this.
Something ARM is what's left. The real choice is between Qualcomm and nVidia (because I don't think they want to work with the chinese OR samsung), and Qualcomm just isn't interested in doing chips which are not-phones.

And yeah, nVidia is fucking desperate, seing as AMD ate their whole lunch in console space (with good reason)

Why nintendo? Don't they realize with no 3rd party support people wont buy their console?

Fucking hell this will probably fail just like the wiiu and doom nintendo for real this time faggots

/thread

sega come back to making consoles please

Wait guys, the most important thing
Pokemon Go will be NX exclusive

Like the NES?

Did the NES have a screen and was battery powered?

archive.is/XpxyB

For a handheld, better than Wii U but worse than Xbox One is actually pretty good.

post more console gals

Sauce pls

The PS4 neo is coming out in October with an Apple style September announcement (Probably close to the NX) and October ship date. And at most it's coming out before Sony's financial year ends in March. They can't change specs since they would have been finalised months ago back in April. Sony also weren't thinking competition, the Playstation division was forced to get in line with the "4K Push" Sony's trying to force on their electronics and media divisions.

There's no chance of an "Undercut". Sony planned this for a long time well back in 2015 (And their execs talked about it well back last November) and are locked in for 2016. Changing at this point and delaying till 2017 to try "undercut and outpower" Scorpio would mean trashing billions of dollars worth of contracts, R&D and manufacturing with AMD.

Also, Sony's DRM system wasn't online. It used RFID chips in the disc to "Pair" to the console and the game had to be "Unpaired" by the authorised re-seller. It was incredibly easy to strip that out compared to completely changing architectures only two months before it actually is released. There is literally no way Sony can undercut MS this time because the PS4 is now betholden to Sony Corp's goals as a whole instead of existing in console isolation because Sony completely depends on it. They are launching this year with the leaked specs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo cut a deal with Nvidia to allow Nvida GRID streaming on the device. Why get 3rd parties to make games when Nvidia already has them? It migates risk for 3rd parties as well.

What? Sauce for this?

On a different note
Level 5 knows what's up

You fucking what
Seriously
A new fucking Layton?
Nigga I'm hype

With a fuckable waifu as the lead character

It's on mobileshit though

They been doing that for a while now.

archive.is/GOhwC

Sony never needed to be always online because their DRM system would have been completely offline. That's why the switch made on the day of E3 was so easy for them as the feature was easily removed while MS's dumbshit plan was not easy to reverse because it was all based online.