I've been playing older Pc games, and I found myself noticing that without playing on a CRT there's something missing

I've been playing older Pc games, and I found myself noticing that without playing on a CRT there's something missing.

Is there any way to emulate a CRT effect on an HD monitor?

no. get a crt. also don't use dosbox.

There's filters, but none of them really look any good.

Just buy a CRT, they're dirt cheap these days.

god damn dosbox sound emulation is so fucking terrible. I can't stand to watch this video for even 10 seconds. I'm going to play exhumed on my saturn right now.

They are nonexistent where I live. The only decent CRTs that still show up on the markets, with some regularity, are refurbished video and graphics production equipment for a few hundred euros per monitor.

It's hard to tell from the video since it's compressed and at a different resolution - but these actually seem kind of nice.

Although you still don't get all the best things a CRT has to offer like virtually no input lag and those incredibly dark blacks, etc.

my camera settings are not ideal for photographing a CRT.

Who was the guy behind it anyway?

most crts you can get for free on craigslist or whatever, all you gotta do is pick it up.

Yes there is a way to create a sharp looking image with scanlines that do not become jerky shit when you scroll.

The trick is that you need to create a custom resolution, for this example, i used Custom Resolution Utility with the parameters in the picture to create a very stretched resolution for the CRT.

Then you need to launch retroarch and use the "tv out + interlacing" shader

This will give you a picture like the one i include

Won't that burn my monitor?

Oh wait OP i misread your post

you're actually trying to emulate a CRT monitor on a LED screen?
nope, get a real CRT

You can use some crt shaders, they are not bad at all but definitively they are the lazy-poorman's version, you don't wanna do that if you ever had a real crt

An HD monitor won't let you do it and a PC CRT monitor won't have any problem

oh no my games look better ah shit help me

why the are you using such high horizontal resolution instead of just 640x480 and scanlines at 20-30% or whatever?

I don't mind LED monitors at all, especially when there's small text to read. CRTs are obsolete for a reason.

No, there's no way to accurately emulate a CRT display on an LCD. CRT pixels aren't square.

Buy 2 forks, then jam them into your eyes.

How do i make PC games look like some shitty NTSC stretched display like pic related?

Change the pixel format. If you can't lower the resolution and fuck with your monitor's image settings.

Exhumed on Sat/PS1 is vastly different from the PC, it doesn't even run on the same engine!

Something about that filter makes no sense. It looks like it's mimicking a CRT TV, which is much lower-res than a CRT computer monitor. Is it for CGA graphics, maybe? (CGA cards had composite out.)

You could just…you know. Buy a Tube TV or CRT Monitor.