ITT: God tier 2D platformers

ITT: God tier 2D platformers.

Platforming is just one aspect of gameplay, games with just platforming were shit

you're a fucking retard

There's nothing shitty about focusing on one gameplay element and polishing it to perfection.
It's much better to do one thing extremely well than to spread yourself thin and be all around mediocre.
For example when i fuck your mom i always focus on going balls deep and hitting her g spot.
I only do that, every night, but she doesn't complain, because i'm the best at what i do since i praticed it so much with her.

Come on anons.

Also, pic related.

Fuck all you bitches.

While I won't rush to call it "god-tier", Mario 2/Doki Doki Panic is definitely underrated.

Never found a platformer with movement mechanics as 'clean' as the Megaman Zero series.
You could zip around the map with pixel perfect precision. It was perfect.

Why would you want a remake when Donkey Kong 94 is already perfect?

Lots of 2D games involving platforming that are good, very few games that could sell it on the platforming alone

Good thing Rocket Night also had shmup levels then.

Also, needs more Headdy the Hero.

It was never going to get better than the GB Donkey Kong, just move on.

What is it with gaming fags wanting shit modern developers to make a terrible abortion version of their favorite game. It's not going to make you happy retard.

This nigga gets it.

Haven't played many since the 3d era, but my favorites were:

Athena
Ninja Kid
Mighty Bomb Jack
Ghosts n Goblins
Karnov
Rainbow Islands

agreed, it is a fun game

Which version is the best? Nice triples by the way.

The original is free on PC. Start there.

i fucking loved that game

I always get these two mixed up. Which is supposed to be the hard one and which is the easy one?

My absolute niggers.

Seconding this. I find it hard to play other platforming games after the Umihara Kuwase series. Even other games that use grappling style platforming like Bionic Commando don't compare. They really made the most out of that mechanic instead of it just being a gimmick or something, really well designed. All 3 titles are absolutely fantastic, with Sayonara being the best IMO.

PLAY THE FIRST ONE YOU BASTARDS
YOU FUCKING BASTARDS
legends and origins are good but compared to 1995 Rayman they're
C A S U A L I Z E D H O R S E S H I T

There is a reason this shitty ass genre is basically dead. Not even little kids nowadays are autistic enough to think jumping and not doing anything else is interesting

The CD-ROM on a cartridge, they called it.

But i played it and finished it. It's a good game but i prefer Origins and Legends, sue me nigger.

Dustforce is fucking flawless. Responsive and tight controls, amazing soundtrack and great level design. Seriously is there anything sincerely wrong with the game? It goes down in my top tens and definitely my favorite 2D platformer. It's hard as fuck to. You know a game doesn't pander to casuals when only around 150 people have ever SS'd the final level. I'm only 3 levels away from the difficults and I've been trying for years I need a better controller that doesn't have shitty directional pads

I probably sound like a shill but god damn this game has been my place of zen ever since I picked it up

Origins is a bit harder but Legends is just pure happiness, cozyness and fun. Even if it's extremely easy. I'de pick it up any day for a chill session if I wasn't required to download Ubisofts shitty client.

The only Rayman I could get into was Rayman 2 on N64.

You should try the superior PC version.

I emulated this expecting just a portable version of the arcade game (I mean what else should I have expected with those shitty jew-y GBA NES ports?)but then I played it and got my goddamn mind blown with how great a gameboy game it was, heavy contender to the Mario vs Donkey Kong GBA game (never played the others). I never did finish it though. What the hell happened Nintendo?

Man, wanna play me some goddamn gameboy now. Is there a chan recommandation image I can get for that?

I hear the PS2 version is the best. Care to explain?

You're right, they like the objectively less creative FPS genre.

I like the gibberish better than the PS2 voice acting.

I Agree with you entirely on that front

Wario Land games

Play it in French.

You can switch back to gibberish on the PS2 version I'm pretty sure, might be PAL only though.

All original 2d sonic games are great, even sonic 1 is top tier.

Have you tried the Mega Man games on the Gameboy? Those are almost as good as the NES games.

yeah what is this game? i've never heard of it, is it a gba mario vs donkey kong port?

that happened to me with i wanna be the guy games

One of the best of the 16-bit era

Nobody will ever remember he existed.

It's sad. He didn't even get his own car in Racing Transformed and only got to wave the flag. This magnificent bastard deserves better.

'out the way bois

I remember Matthewmatosis doing a recommendation of that game a few years back, but I put it on the backburner and never got it. Looks like I'll have to pick it up soon.

aww yeah nigga.

Nigga, 99,9% of platformer games were just jumping nothing else. Very few were more creative and did it by having other stuff to do other than jumping. You fags never ever even talk about the creative ones like PrehistoricMan, its always the mainstream uncreative shit, you are full of shit.

Come the fuck on

The flying mechanic was neat as fuck and it had some A E S T H E T I C S for sure, But it wasn't a great game. the boss design towards the end was horrid, and the life system sucked.

With that said, it holds a weirdly nostalgic place in my heart from childhood.

Comix Zone is a master piece, the most 90s game you will ever find

And God Hand is the funiest game i've ever played

you're salty cus you've never beaten it

It also had god tier music

im hoping that the "this game was underrated" kinda trends, and we get acknowledgments that this game exists.

I swear to god you guys

This is perfect summer music

bro

I prefer Origins to Legends, it felt more like an adventure.
Also Gourmand Land is the best world, especially the ice levels with all the frozen fruit and drinks everywhere.

Mushiest controls for a game that I've ever played

I bet you use the term "floaty" for games well.

The game has extremely precise inputs. The mushiness you might be thinking of it probably the physics and momentum. What controller are you using?

They're mushy and unresponsive if you're bad at the game, fluid and precise if you're good at the game.

Yeah, cry harder

Mega Man 2 is a great game but it's not a strict platformer.

Yoshi's Island is still the best platformer ever made and it always will be, but props to Donkey Kong Country 2 for being a more difficult experience.

Sonic 1 hasn't aged well, but plays decent enough fuck Marble Zone though.

Nothing can beat SMB3 and SMW1.

Try to prove me wrong.

protip: YOU CAN'T

Super Mario World is number one best platform game ever made, and Super Mario Brothers 3 is the second best. Everything else seems to be furfag shit. Third best would be entire nes series of megaman.

It is slow and shit though. Fucking hated that game.

This was really damn fun

Mah nigga

Posting some favorites of mine.

Nah mate

great taste

Never noticed this before, but if you flip Street Fighter 2010's cover, it and Little Samson share some similarities.

ah, but he was remembered nonetheless
Sumo wanted to make him playable but Nights was a priority so he got relegated to flagbearer
perhaps next game

PATRICIAN

There is around a 300ms delay on jump inputs. That is in no way precise.
Just because people can obsess over a game and get good at tolerating awful controls, doesn't make it a good game. It just means they are great at playing with shit. Congrats on the achievement! and wasted dubs

Input delay often is the result of your setup. But for your benefit I did some research on the topic. And only found a few videos referring to what you're talking about. Both of which I don't actually experience on my game.

Jump input is delayed by about 4-6 frames if you're not dash jumping or sliding. An apt punishment considering that at that speed you're not going fast enough for the delay to be punishable. If it exists it by no means is it a problem when you never play the game without dash jumping to begin with. Still if it's a fault then you have a point.

Dash jumping on the other hand has at MOST a 3 frame drop from the video I embeded. Though this depends on your own setup. I myself have next to no input delay because I use keyboard. Even on a standard jump. All things considered if the game had a constant 3 frame delay then it would be a considerable problem on later levels centered around slope sliding as jumping inputs are crucial there. I think the only point where it would actually be a problem though are in the Difficults where you're only given up to 4 or 5 frames of perfection on most of them.

Who would have thought that iconic sidescroller game series best game is the one with the most focus on platforming.

Another World is better

Whatever subreddit you pulled that 300ms number from is probably false from gameplay videos. Try justifying how shit you are at the game again.

I'll bite.

X4 is a fucking decent game. My preference still lies heavily in the earlier ones but X4 was still pretty good

Obviously, the megaman games come to mind. I've played most of em, megaman 6, Zero 3, Zero 4, X2, X, and ZX make it on my top 20 for sure.

However, when it comes to capcom platformers, I only have one true love.
*SHING*

firetires ate my image

ITSAMASTERPEECE

I've been marathoning the whole series, including the DOS turds, but Mega Man III is the hardest thing I've ever played in my life. Specifically Dust Man's level and the Wily Castle stage. Dust Man requires you to do fucking crazy moves never required in any other game (cross literally a room where only the first and last blocks are anything but spikes. No Rush Jet. I could only pass it by getting hit and using invincibility frames). The Wily Castle stage is long as fuck and has multiple bosses. Lose three lives and start over, fucker. I beat most of the other games before this in one sitting, but these two levels are like a fucking romhack.

SMB2 the Japanese one is better. 3 has lots of cool gimmicks and World has tons of fun secrets, but when it comes to pure level design and fulfilling platforming, the second game is still the best.

Let me guess, the current generation must have learned to hate SMB2 from some youtuber?

It was the thinking man's alternative to SMB3, back in the day. Where the latter is a better game overall, it's still not as complex and interactive as 2. And going from the terribly archaic 1 to 2, was like moving from Wolfenstein to Duke 3D.

TRIGGERED

I wouldn't go that far but yes I have. I suck at Megaman games though.

I think he means the Game Boy version, Mega Man III.

No, there are still great games being made. Faggots like you just ignore niche games

This is the most patrician platformer game ever existed. Great graphics, great animations, perfect controls, and good pacing. IMO, this is even better than Contra III.

X1 and X4 are very close in my opinion, but combat as Zero gives X4 an edge in pure fun factor. If X1 featured Zero with a similar playstyle as X4, then it'd be my favorite, no question.

More of a action platformer but whatever.

Le funny shouting youtube man. Have a upboat.

The game is great, has great music, great gameplay and is very fun to replay with multiple paths. Anons, get better taste in vidjas.

then I hope you're excited for this.

I do. Dust Man's stage is easy as fuck on NES.

Depends what genres you like. 2D platformers are plagued with indieshit but still get a few good ones now and then. 3D platformers pretty much don't exist anymore outside of one Mario game per gen. The new Ratchet & Clank is the first one with a bunch of levels removed and a couple new ones that have no platforming and are all shooting.

not as glorious as in the past. Not at all.

Why does Capcom hate this series? =( It's like they don't want to remember that this was one of their games.

Fuck Capcom.

Origins was good. Legends would have been awesome if it didn't have U-Play and the god-awful time attack stages (None of those stages were fun).

That is because the time attack stages were basically speed running which is the prime way you take fun out of a game

I meant the ones where you had two seconds to rescue a lum, or the game will give you the middle finger with Dark Rayman pissing in your mouth. Those stages made me quit the game, and I spent a month trying to get all the achievements in Origins.

Every level feels the same in difficulty and even layout, nothing even really secret, it's like that kid covering something to hide it but then you obviously know somethings hidden there now.

I got board during the 4th world in origins getting everything because it was just tedium going through the game, nothing got harder, nothing changed to spice it up, just more powers that are rarely used of more easy platforming.

Origins I just got burnt out after the second world where I thought maybe trying it fresh and not going for everything will make it feel better but I just didn't want to play anymore, it was too dull.

I've no intention to play the sequels

Good thing I'm here to fix that.

Same. The "choose what you want to play" was a decent idea but I think the slowly-revealed adventure was far more fun. Also, where the fuck was Land of the Livid Dead in Legends??

Forgot to contribute

get

Speaking of Yoshi's Island, did anyone else ever notice how much it was influenced by Sonic?

Goddammit Holla Forums, get your shit together
Posting god tier OST as well

Demon's Crest is so fucking good, underrated game

It's ok but it's a bit too on the easy side to be perfect, like it's a bit too fine tuned to where if you always move you're always on the cycle of moving platforms and vanishing platforms to be in your favor right away.

Prince of Persia 1 & 2.

Found the hipster fag. Yes, nigger, you're too cool for platformers. Now fuck off.

My nigga. Came to post this honestly. All the X's up till 5 were godtier.

mama mia

X4 was fucking trash that ruined the X series and X5 was hardly any better.

what happened to the squeakuels?

I do sorta agree about 5. That's why I say that it stopped when 5 rolled around. The only real problem I could say 4 had was a less interesting level design.

youre right, but theres an inkling of truth to his post as well. AAA may never be able to get back on track making a variety of games. im not entirely sure what happened to them, is it the shareholders demands?

It was also really boring to play through the game as X, since all of the levels were designed around Zero.

Pfff, X1 doesn't it let you play as based Zero.

Wonder Boy in Monster World

This game is one of the best for sure.
That fucking train level god damn.

Lets agree to disagree.

What would consider to be a God tier 2D platformer, then?

Give me 3 of yours so I can call them shit.

This guy gets it.
And it's clearly one word on the box. MEGAMAN. Fuck you, whoever bitched at me earlier.

fucking stupid that it was password based

Like all of the Kirby games.

Embed user. Though good shit either way.

Series has been in the gutter since Dream Land 3.

fuk u, Kirby 64 and Robobot were great

I've been playing the SNES Ghost Sweeper Mikami game lately. I'm surprised I've never heard anyone mention it. It's a damn good platformer.

well its the best one after the first 3… probably
missing in action, never was seen again, god dammit namco

MY NIGGAH

I just started emulating it. Thank god for save states.

Not god tier but I enjoyed it