Is it just me or is old vidya a lot more immersive, especially role playing games...

Is it just me or is old vidya a lot more immersive, especially role playing games. The use of simple symbols for the sprites allow for you to fill in what they are with your imagination. I feel like that's a lot better than all the fancy graphics that just give you everything leaving nothing for the player to envision for themselves.

Usually, yes. This is one of the reasons that "The book is better than the movie" seemingly holds true most of the time. While lacking a visual element, each person has their own interpretation of what everything looks like, and it becomes larger than life in their heads. No movie could ever match up with it. Similarly, simplistic sprites give a general idea, and leave a lot open for interpretation, letting your imagination create a world ideally suited to you.

They had to be.
They didnt have the fancy hotshot graphics we have now.

I think its made developers lazy, they dont have to rely on imagination as much for a game world any more.

Thats one of the reasons I enjoyed Dark Souls so much, it lets you fill in your own blanks

No, and a lot of the Pokemon RBGY tilesets were hot fucking garbage. The Gen II games really improved the tilesets.

lol no

I think they just put more effort into making a cool new world.

I think it's more about the worlds created back then appearing more interesting and original because we did not know many of them.
We appreciate the new, modern ones less because of the oversaturation, and the genuine difficulty of coming up with interesting concepts when so many have already been created.

You should check out text-based adventures like Zork. I had more fun playing that with a 360 controller than I did playing, literally, anything else in Black Ops 1.

It's garbage

are we still on the realism train? i thought that slowed down a bit, what with the indie stuff

could apply the same logic to the typical silent protag.
protagonists were blank slates passing through myriads of caricatures.
the world is worldly but universal

We do still get good games every single year, and there are cool projects. But older games really did have a special magic to them. I'd recommend booting up some of the better roguelikes out there if you want to get this feel.

Games like brogue and dcss have relatively little to learn, and a difficultly curve to adapt to. But if you want that feeling of really not relying on graphics, these games are amazing. I'd give them a try.

Yeah, Skyrim (modded w/ 50 esms+) is a spectical to look at bit vanilla Morrowind and even Daggerfall are the only TES games I truely get excited to play.

Dagger's ps1-esque DOS graphics blow me away even though the programming for that game is really rough around the edges, as were most DOS games.

That image is rather problematic, I'm going to have to ask you politely to stop =\

*:^)

I think it's due to compartmentalization of the game design process. Back in the day you made games with a few rooms of people if you were lucky, and usually only a handful of those people would work on the graphics, if not just a single person. These days much larger teams work on these larger projects and because the scope is so big every piece ends up being a little less special. I almost want to say that, at least certainly creatively, sprite art required more effort. You can't just build exactly what you want in 3D, instead you had to frame each Sprite as you wanted to use it in the world, create variations to the orientation, and make whole new animations (which you can't just do through skeleton manipulation). More importantly everything you created was an artistic representation of what you wanted to show the player. It's a shame sprite art is dying, I mean we'll always have the classics but it feels like there is so much unexplored ground still.

Nigger, get that garbage outta here.

Maleherm > herm

It's fine if you like cock or pussy, but if you start putting the two on the same body, you're going full retard.

That KOF game from a few years back, and that new Sonic game had some God-Tier spritework.

CRTs are another consideration. Most pixel "artists" make flat, unshaded sprites in MS paint with no knowledge of dithering or color bleeding of the older displays. A lot holds true for animation also where hand-drawn animation (both Eastern and Western) look great but you can tell straight off when its CGI and looks sterile and lifeless 95% of the time.

FIX THE NOSE

They were more immersive because most of them weren't shitty button-mash action RPGs like literally everything is now.

I think it's ironic that you posted Josuke, considering that Jousuke/Josefumi in part 8 is literally him and Kira

Yeah, chinese cartoons with CGI bug the shit out of me. I know part of it is that I was a kid during a sort of Renaissance of Anime, but it just looks so lazy, and off putting.

I'm doubting the new Sonic game until I actually see it running, but I totally agree that the last KOF was beautiful. Sadly apparently skilled sprite artists are becoming a rare thing even in Japan. I wonder if that tide will ever swing back? Will real sprite art ever get popular again or are we just stuck with this lazy indie shit?