en.wiktionary.org
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_orthography
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

JUST ASK ME TO PLAY AGAINST YOU NORMALLY FUCK

Also

UNIEL

OOO NIEL

how else do you expect me to say that shit you faggot

I'll never understand how this one came to be in the first place. Where the fuck do these idiots hear or see an N in the word turret?

torrent

tuorrent*

I don't care if it's canon, it's fucking stupid

Is it Rah-ee-den or Ray-den?
Depending on the game, you get different pronunciations for the same fucking name.

If you say this, you are a Gayden

UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH, FAGGOT.

Raiden of MK has his name pronounced like that for copyright reasons with his character, I thought. It's supposed to be Rhy-den, like Raiden of MGS.

Who ever says this is a friggin' moron

ITS SEPT TILE hes a fucking serpent. You know pronounce Serpent as Skerpent

Why write it like "skeptic," though?
Should've been Sceptile.

arr-doon-yuh?
completely guessing, i don't even know what game this is

It is Sceptile.

I think it's "Our-Doan". From Runescape.

Anyone who pronunces it as "Skeptile" also pronounces science as "skience."

Deuce Ecks

as opposed to dayoos ecks?

Day of Sex

It's Latin.
It's supposed to be Deh-oos Ecks.

day-us ecks

>gif

non-static image

Arr-SEh-us is how I always said it.
But I'm norwegian and say pokemon names weirdly so I might be wrong on a ton of pokemon names.
>oh-pee-ees-ah-fag :^)

Canonically, it's AR-kee-us
If you're not retarded, it's AR-see-us

Are you implying that there's any other way to say it?

I don't know how you guys say it, but I always thought you were "supposed" to say it like pony-ta
not po-KNEE-ta. Pressure is added at the same place though.
I do say either AR-see-us or AR-seh-us, I switch it around, mostly because I have no other reference than my a mix between my own language and english when I read fictitious names. Author's intent and readers perception can be wildly different. Just look at C'thulhu.

Did you know vichan is pronounced sixchan as in VIchan?
The more you know.

see this is why you don't let canadians play video games

forgot one

You're wrong.

/jus ði ai.pi.ei fɔɹ pɹənʌnsieɪʃəns ɔɹ els jɔɹ ei fægət/

It's a ground type legendary, why the hell is it Groudon and not Groundon?

geshundeit

"Ground" is still very present in Groudon, without sounding as lazy as just taking the word "ground" and adding two letters.

No u
faget

As a non-native speaker this is the only way I can understand for sure what you faggots are talking about.

except I have always and will always pronounce it as the u in "underwater".

You mean /ei.sæk/

The fucking narrator says it about a dozen times. How could you fuck it up?

You mean /'aisæk/.

Oh, I forgot
wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet
Here is the complete ipa chart, most letters have a link to where you can hear them pronounced
Wiktionary lists the correct ipa spelling of every English word in at least one accent, usually both British and general American.

You no longer have an excuse to You-z the-z stew-ped an-d an-big-you-us pho-king she-ts

JPEG stands for ‎Joint Photographic Experts Group. Do you pronounce it as "jay-pheg"?

Me, I cringe when people say "gigabyte" or anything giga with a hard G. The prefix giga must be pronounced with a soft G, like Doc Brown pronounced his gigawatts, and as is the official stance of the NIST.

Most likely /'ai'sæk/ if they are already being that stupid, but you're right I fucked up

ok fam

oh shit where did my image go

With two stress marks?

Get with the times, Daddy-o.

No faggot, it's Latin. Soft Gs and Cs are the inventions of the French linguistic devil and must not taint the pure Latin language the way they did English.

Do you honestly think that if someone is going to say /ai.sæk/ they aren't also stupid enough to have double primary stress on a word?

Also, reminder that Julius Caesar is pronounced /julius kaisar/ or for you non ipa plebs, yoo-lee-oos kai-sar

Me, I cringe when people are THIS FUCKING RETARDED.
Let me guess, you're one of the faggots that pronounce Pterodactylus with a hard P as well.

Faggot.

You sound like a retard who deserves to be burned at the stake.

Pterodactyl is supposed to be pronounced with a p, it didn't lose the P until English faggots took the original greek and fucked it up.

Gigantic is English, Giga- is Latin, that's the difference.

Gar-devv-or is acceptable alongside Gar-dev-wär

Next you're going to tell me the english fucked up the word "psychology" too.
Just end it, fam.

Come the fuck on.

Acceptable or not, it makes you a faggot

Yes, actually.
wiktionary.org/wiki/psychology
The P is pronounced in every precursor to psychology, from the greek to the French.

No, I'm sorry, that's wrong.

Portuguese native speaker here, (actual portuguese, not brazilian).
Pshychology is pronounced with the P in Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and French, all latin-based words.
I know English has germanic roots instead but I dunno if they just took the word from latin or they had their own that just happens to seem closer.

Do people seriously say it with hard Gs? That's fucking dumb. I'm willing to bet the same person that do that overlap a lot with the Imperial system.

The etymology is presented on the link, it comes from French.

Ziibiis?
Zeebs?
ZayBays?
Zebess?
Zibess?

I'm pretty sure it's Zeebs

Pretty sure the only time it's been spoken by a voice actor was in the intro FMV to Other M, and it was Zeh-bez

(((zews)))

It's not latin, it's greek. It comes from the ancient greek term "deus ex machina".

maymay

It may be a Greek expression, but deus ex machina is the Latin version of it. At least look this shit up before you correct someone.

How do you pronounce it? a known?

You noun, obviously

WHY THE FUCK DO SO MANY PEOPLE SAY THIS SHIT?

/t/ and /n/ are pronounced from the same place in the mouth. Additionally, the t in turret is usually realized as /t/, which is, /t/ with no audible release. The difference between a stop with no audible release and a nasal consonant is the tenseness of the naval cavity; basically, if you are talking very relaxèdly, then it wouldn't be hard to accidentally let air escape from your nose for a small amount of time. Since /t/ is voiceless, you would think the nasal would be too, /n/, and it may have been at first, but /n/ is a strange noise for English speakers to say, so it probably very quickly merged with the voicing of the vowel /e/ which process it, becoming /n/. From there, the normal linguistic process of dissemination take over.

Basically, /et/ > /et/ > /ent/ or /eⁿt/ > /ent/
But, that's all conjecture, I have no anthropological proof of that, it's just a guess based on my knowledge of phonetics.

shit, are the no-audible-release diacritics not rendering for anyone else? If so, this en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_audible_release diacritic is supposed to be over every /t/ at the end except the first one

this one is missing too, it goes over the first /n/ at the end

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voicelessness forgot the link

Cache
Neptunia
Hatsune Miku
Ōkami

How do you pronounce Neptunia then?

Der-kuh-bah or Door-coo-bah?

Nerds?

Some more from Mount and Blade.
Cure-aww or Coo-raw?
Pray-ven or Prah-ven?
Shah-riiz or Shar-is?
Vay-gers, Vie-gers, Vay-jeers or Vie-jeers?

Nep-tyu-nia

It's pronounced
"Day-of-sex"

melee
sturnt
ogre
monster

How do you guys pronounce board names?
For example do you call Holla Forums "Cee Ohh" or "Ca-oh"?
Do you pronounce Holla Forums as "pole" or "pawl"

Of course I assume everyone pronounces Holla Forums as "vee".

Not that I would ever have reason to say them aloud but Holla Forums like the start of cooperation, and Holla Forums like the start of Poland.

Japanese is easy. It's like Bulgarian. It's literally Hatsune Miku.

And how the fuck do people say turrent. I just don't get it.

Sefferoff

Being french I always prononced Holla Forums "Ko" and Holla Forums "paul", although Holla Forums stays "vee".

It's a bipedal lizard, not a serpent, you blind fucking retard. It has well defined limbs that it both uses to run very fast and to swing around to attack. How does that even suggest that it's a snake to your faulty brain?

"School" is pronounced as "sool", right?

I don't remember seeing anybody point this out before nuDoom, but I wasn't into vidya news and interviews back in the day.

pickachu

kanye westwood

warrior

Kanye Westsayeedeuh

Pičkachu

Red Alert 2

Some non-native-english-speaker ones I can remember off the top of my head:

It's "Arr-doyn" you stupid faggot. It's like you never read the postbag from the hedge.

nitro carwash

instead of la-key-too

its like you dont even name black girls

Not game related but I hate when Americans pronounce Asgard as "ass guard".

Is it so fucking hard to understand the "a" in the beginning is pronounced as an A, not Ä.

He's right you know. Caesar is pronounced [kaiser] in Latin.

I've heard them say it both ways in official material though. I swear there was even one commercial for the movie the narrator pronounced Arceus both ways in the same commercial.

"Groundon" does not roll off the tongue very well which may be one of the reasons it's "Groudon", which is why I'm much more amazed people would ever keep pronouncing it "Groundon" compared to shit like "Skeptile".

I'm pretty fond of pokey-man

I alternate.
for Holla Forums, I say "pole"
but for Holla Forums, I say "Cee ohh"

latin is hipster garbage

I knew a kid…
Try and guess:

I'm sure there were more but those are the ones that stood out to me.
Fuck that guy.
He also pronounced "bag" as "beig".
He didn't have an accent.

Holla Forums - Pohl
Holla Forums - Ko

Pikachu is an electric type mouse, why the hell is it Pikachu and not Electricitychu

I literally know of three people, myself included, who don't butcher pronunciation of foreign words. And when we do, and are corrected, we actually make the effort to remember that so we don't look like retards.
Also "turrent" is the proper way to say "turret" according to everyone in my city. I've gotten into arguments over this shit. There's no fucking N at the end where do they fucking get it. And then they fucking say "Well that's just how I say it" CHANGE HOW YOU SAY IT YOU COCK FUCKER

Cache

Has anyone actually done this?

top kek, as they say

I have to warsh my clothes.

Take a guess where I'm from.

Reddit

No you stupid prick. I meant what state.

Reddit

Plebsylvania

So close.

maryland

actually it's pronounced "yulius kaisar".
latin doesn't have Js, only Is

Technically Ar-see-us was the original pronunciation for Battle Revolution and it was also in some printed material. They changed it come the anime and movies.

Ruthenia

cheekybreeki yabbadabbadoo

Willow Fortune is actually a good pun.
Also Phoebe Nicks/Nixon for Mokou.

I call it "vuh"

The /j/ was in ipa, where it represents the 'y' sound. I also gave a "layman" phonetic pronunciation: you-lee-oos kai-sar

You'd be able to tell if people used the FUCKING IPA

Once again:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA
en.wiktionary.org

You faggots need to learn this before the next time you start a threat like this. I'm a native speaker and I can't tell what you faggots are taking about half the time.

Cah-miks and Car-toons
Poe-lit-ick-lee in-cor-rect

Sounding it out is ambiguous and subjective and terrible. Also these symbols are not any more squiggly than the English alphabet and are almost all latin or greek characters out a modification of them.

yes, I'm sure this mass of bullshit is a whole lot less subjective

Are you retarded? Yes of course it is. All of those symbols represent one and only one sound, ever. Because I know the IPA I can tell you exactly what each of those symbols mean and EXACTLY how to pronounce them.

But because English has such a complex phonology, the same is almost never true in English. Compare the IPA spellings with this chart of English grapheme-phoneme correspondence, and say that IPA isn't less subjective.

Even then, you still have to worry about accents, which the IPA bypasses entirely.

Fuck, forgot the chart: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_orthography

Did someone ask for natto?