Are the .hack games any good?

Are the .hack games any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Spring_of_Myst
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Honest_Woodman
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've heard somewhat mixed things, though admittedly still need to play them myself (main reason being that I know there's a chronology to the series and I suppose I might as well as least watch .hack//SIGN before I ever play IMOQ, and .hack//Roots before G.U.). They sound interesting enough though.

Fucking stupid of Namco though to not do a pair of cheap HD Collections, or even put the games on the PSN, since both sets are ridiculously priced these days. Scalpers need to get fucked.

I love the GU games. I thought it was a fantastic trilogy and imo one of the best JRPGs on the PS2. If you like PS2 era JRPGs you'll probably like them. Can't comment on the original series because I never got around to playing those.

Out of curiosity, did you bother to watch Roots first before playing GU, and if so, does it strike you that doing so would make a big difference in experience quality with the games?

Just put them together in a folder user.

Who remembers that fag who had the .hack online thing going.

Also I will never ever find and play the forth game even though I always saw it at gamestop and never grabed it.

Really wish I knew more about what PS2 games were hard to find back when Gamestop was still trying to get rid of what stock they had left of them during sales. Or just what some would be getting up to these days. Hindsight's a bitch.

Again, it's not even on the PSN. I don't think Namco even cares for the series much at this point (it's been four years since CC2 made .hack//Versus, six since .hack//Link, and nine since Part three of G.U. according to wikipedia) to even do western fans the courtesy of helping them say "fuck you" to scalpers.

I bet in Japan the games are nowhere near this expensive.

Im thinking of doing a complete ps2 game collection. are the .hack games that expencive?

I've only played & own the first four. The games themselves are ok action RPGs for the most part. The most interesting elements of the games was the whole "it's the continuation of the anime" thing & it introduces the real world plot with the four part Liminality DVDs that came with the first games, thus expanding this whole universe that no one cares about anymore.

The first two are worth checking out, the third one is pretty short & the fourth game kinda shat the bed & has you grinding for virus cores to open up new areas so take that as you will.

The .hack//fragment threads from almost a year ago? Those were pretty fun, kinda wished the threads were slightly more popular.
>tfw they will never make spiritual sequel with co-op either

I've heard the first & second game aren't too hard to find but 3 & 4 is heading into scalper territory. I've also heard the GU trilogy is also a pain to find.

From my own experiences in looking around.

All the .hack G.U. games are about the same $50-60 unless you get lucky.

The PS2 honestly only has a handful of games that are all that pricy at this stage, and .hack is certainly among them. Still, I would recommend against doing a complete PS2 collection. For one, there's over 2000 games, and secondly, there's a LOT of shovelware, licensed, and sports shit on it since it was a popular system. I'd recommend just getting games that are of interest to you, and that aren't going to eat your wallet alive.

Well, i can ignore the shovelware and licenced shit, but i still want to get a mostly complete collection.

Well, even so, start with the games you're actually interested in, and if you find a cheap copy of something by chance that's otherwise expensive, grab it if you might have considered playing it before.

Main expensive ($45+ complete) PS2 games from what I know of:

Could easily some others I might be forgetting. I will say that Atlus has been nice enough to do reprints of all their PS2 SMT and Persona games at this point, aside from basic P3 (FES got the reprint). Various games of theirs used to be pretty pricy prior to that, such as the first Raidou game going for a good $100+ complete.

Yeah, i got a complete raidou 1 for 10 dollars 2 years ago. Im moving across the country so im going to stop at a ton of local game stores and pick up cheap copies of games.

I only ever played the first game, but it was fun.
I should try playing through the rest of them sometime.

Good luck then. As a word of advice, consider trying multimedia shops. In my experiences they fuck up every so often in a good way, meaning I've found some hard to find, expensive stuff at low prices, like two of the G.U. games for about $10 each complete (wish the cover art for Redemption wasn't really faded and water damaged though), among other games.

This was in SH3 but with pipes. Is this some nip meme?

Here's my short answer as someone who was autistically obsessed with the franchise for years.

One game for the price of four, with mediocre combat and ugly graphics even for its time. Difficulty is nice, with the game rewarding intelligent usage of buffs and elemental weaknesses, while mercilessly punishing braindead play. Atmosphere is incredibly comfy, and a good deal of the characters are pretty interesting. Has an accompanying anime OVA that takes place during the events of the games, and lets you see what's happening in the real world. Watch each episode after the respective game. Lots of side shit to do, and a near-infinite number of areas to explore thanks to the Area Word system, though it's all procedurally generated (when they made the game, the actual areas are static) outside of story areas.

One game for the price of three, though each volume is considerably larger than a volume of the original series. Higher production values, incredible graphics for a PS2 game, runs pretty great, tons of content. Combat is much more interactive and seemingly varied, but in practice the game is incredibly shallow and easy. Probably the easiest JRPG I've played in my life, as the only thing that matters is character level. Atmosphere is comfier than ever, with fully fleshed out message boards and a more active news feed. Much more side content, though it varies in quality. Areas are much less varied, as fields and dungeons are now separate, and they're padded by a pointless "Chim Chim" system that requires you to stop and kick a bunch of harmless animals if you want to open doors. Story is really good up through Volume 2, but after that they ran out of budget and the story goes studio gainax-tier. Volume 4 was cancelled and everything was crammed into Volume 3, which was incredibly rushed and near-nonsensical. Cut content is the second biggest problem with the trilogy after the lack of difficulty. It's still worth at least one playthrough, imo.

Absolute fucking garbage, singlehandedly killed the series. Didn't even get released in English because it bombed so hard.

I could go for hours on everything but I'd rather not go tl;dr

If you've got time, what about whether or not to watch SIGN and Roots before playing IMOQ and G.U. respectively? Does that add to/better the experience with the games if you watch those first?

From .hack wiki, it comes from folklore:
dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Spring_of_Myst

At a quick search, it would appear based on "The Honest Woodman."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Honest_Woodman

the original tetrology is pretty good
serviceable combat and graphics but the story is top-notch
the plot is basically not-EverQuest is evil and will steal your soul

//SIGN was a good look at psychology while also accurately showing what playing an MMO is like–glorified chatrooms
//Legend of Twilight's Bracelet is fun and lighthearted but not at all necessary

haven't played GU nor seen its anime

Yes.

G.U. is amazing. Story great, music great, combat great for ps2 rpg. Character development great.

Etc

Out of curiosity, where do you guys with actual copies of .hack games sort them into for your PS2 shelves/library? Seen various stores do different things with them when they've had them, be it putting them at the front of the row (IE: [dot] as punctuation), in the "d" section ([dot] as a word), or in the "h" section (IE: apparently dropping the [dot] entirely and just going off the word hack).

Before A

Best waifu for IMOQ: Gardenia
Best waifu for GU: Alkaid

nuff said