What are some of the greatest stories told in Video Games?

What are some of the greatest stories told in Video Games?
My pick: the DS legacy (lots of games, such as: TWEWY, Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, Kyle Hyde games).
And, of course, Metal Gear Solid. (Especially MGS2, in my opinion, played it only 3 years ago and loved it).
But what else is there on a similar level?

Doesn't matter if you think the story is unnecessary/hinders the gameplay in a particular game or complements it. Only whether the story itself left an impact on you or not.

From the recent titles, I guess W101 qualifies, but despite its TTGL-level grandeur it hasn't really left a years-long-lasting impact on me like those other games did for some reason.

Oh, I guess Undertale worked for me, too. But it also was short-lived, for some reason. After finishing it I really felt like it was one of the most heartwarming and complete packages ever, but now, less then a year since, it's really wore off, unlike, say, Metal Gear.
I guess I should try to go play Lisa.

SONIC ADVENTURE

:^)

I enjoyed the Metros

I also forgot Xenoblade. The story itself was maybe a bit generic, but the setting, the scale and the openness of everything made the whole experience unforgettable.

It was a blast when I was 10. Now I can objectively see its flaws, but I was a huge Sonicfag back then and Sonic is a really important part of my life, despite it being shit now. I also never really liked SA2 after SA1, even when I was a kid.

still waiting for the SA3 announcement on the 22nd

I honestly believe that with proper voice acting and some decent animators the story of SA1 could be epic

The whole mayan-based ancient culture was great

You got to be joking

Yeah, I guess. I also liked it because it was a direct continuation of Sonic 3, which was great. It had similar concept, the world still felt like Sonic and it expanded on some stuff and backstories from S3, like Knuckles.
SA2, on the other hand, came totally out of a left field. Loads of humans, GUN, spaceAIDS, the world felt nothing like SA1. It felt like some sort of fanfiction.
There are often debates about 'what is a true SA3' (Heroes/Shadow/2006/Unleashed), but I don't even consider SA2 to be a true SA2. I wish they expanded on SA1, both story/lore-wise and gameplay-wise and polished everything up. I still believe the concept could've been great on paper, despite the games themselves being mediocre.

WiC arguably had one of the best stories in gaming, let alone Realtime Strategy

Where did I say so? Get some reading comprehension. I only said that its level of 'epicness' and scale could be compared to TTGL, not that it was based off of it.

He didn't imply that at all you silly bitch.

These are my picks.

Black Ops

Nier doesn't even tell its own story well.

Fallout New Vegas, especially the DLC's. Just the stories each one had.

> Honest Hearts: First game that treated a Christian religion with respect, showing both sides, the righteous crusader, and the pacifist leader. To bad it was Mormonism but eh…

How does it not tell its story well? It is the story of a father that goes to extremes to save his daughter which ends up escalating into genocide and the extinction of the human race. The game is very straightforward with everything that happens in it; it wouldn't make sense if you weren't paying attention. You don't need to know any of the lore in Grimoire Nier to understand the game's story.

Man.. You bring back some great memories.

>inb4 summerfag

I don't know why, but No More Heroes overall story left a really big impact on me. Everything about it was perfect. NMH2 doesn't exist for me, since it shits on NMH1 story and style, although it's a better game.

The first Darksiders was also a pretty cool story and setting. But it wore off quickly and Darksiders 2 shat on it.

Agreed. SA1 was pretty epic. But the poorly made models and the VA fucked it over.
I don't think it was the VA itself, but mostly how the mouth of the models moved weird and stuff. Same problem with SA2.
The VA is still cringe worthy, tho. The only decent VA is probably Sonic's VA, and that might be just nostalgia.

I think Eggman's VAs are always great.

The Marathon series has some fantastic writing, which is not usual for an FPS.

I unironically really enjoyed TW3's story. Planescape Torment also had a cool story.

Yeah, weird thing is that we're two years from the 20th anniversary of the game FUUUUUUCK I'M OLD so sega could remake the game using the generations engine/style and then hiring new VAs and decent animators to do some good cutscenes

The Jak & Daxter trilogy.

Gone home

My pick is definitely Morrowind

I can't name a more interesting setting in any video game, and the main quest did an excellent job of using the setting as part of the story. It also gets surprisingly meta, which you definitely don't see often in your typical fantasy story. It brings up whether something being "canon" matters, whether you are following a divine prophecy or just happen to be at the right time in the right place, and what exactly makes someone worthy of being called a god.

Runner ups would be Ghost Trick for being a more traditional story but still very sleek and interesting, Bloodborne just because of how many interesting parts of the story that are told without words, and KOTOR 2 almost entirely because of Kreia who is the most well written character I've seen in a video game.

Also a pick for a story that is objectively bad but affected me a lot: Danganronpa

It doesn't really make any sense when you think about the setting and a lot of elements to each murder, but it made me feel some very strong emotions throughout its rollercoaster be they joy, anxiety, shock, or despair :^). It does an abnormally good job of making each section feel very different from the last despite being about the same general thing (happy school life -> monokuma fucks it up -> someone murders someone -> investigate -> trial -> plot twist -> execution). I think my favorite part of the series was the funhouse in DR2 for how genuinely creative it was. DR2 Chapter 5's murder was probably the most well thought out one, and the same game's chapter 3 was the worst.

And to reiterate, yes the story isn't very good upon closer inspection. But if you played it like me and just ran through everything the first time on each game it was pretty crazy. I'm only posting this because I went back and read the "impact on you" part of the OP.

Yeah, only if you got the right ending, otherwise it's pretty shit.

Prepare to be enlightened. You'll see why it's dumb to compare the two.
They're completely different games outside of the fact that they were both inspired by Earthbound.
But trust me, if it's a good story you're looking for, you'll find it in Lisa.

i find how the different megaman series are connected to be pretty interesting. even though each individual game might have a predictable arc, the way the world develops tends to catch my eye

Glad to see this posted early, it's absolutely true

It's flavor of the month, honestly. Nothing really special.

For me, it has to be Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. Having a protag that wasn't a complete faggot really helped move the plot along.

SA3 already came out in 2006, we've been over this.

Boatmurdered from Dwarf Fortress.

Brutal shit. It doesn't even try to excuse it as 'didn't know better' like it happened in Tales of the Abyss

While TWEWY is one of my favorite games, I wouldn't say it has the best story. One of the best DS games mechanically and has an interesting world that I would like to see explored more, but I can't say the actual events of the story were that good. A bit of cliché with the whole "Power of Friendship" in a JRPG, though told well mechanically. The twist early on is good, though you shouldn't think about it too long otherwise it may not make sense, as well as a few other parts. How the fuck do Players explain where they've been for a week? What if their bodies' were cremated. Do they wipe away everyone else's memory, turn back time, or what the fuck do they do? Why would Kitaniji kicking the shit out of Neku, the Composer's proxy, prove that the city of Shibuya is worth salvaing? On what level would Shibuya be destroyed if Joshua decided to can it and why wouldn't the angels just directly interfere with an obviously inept Composer?
Don't get me wrong, the fact that this game never got a sequel is a criminal act on par with Custom Robo's last game being Arena, but it isn't one of the greatest video game stories ever.

Nice emulator faggot

fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO F==fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTU==fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FF==fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
YTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
YTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
YTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
BMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
GTUBMRLTAE==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO ==fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLT==fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
AE====fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUB==fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF ===fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKR==fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBM==fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
RLTAE==
KTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
MRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==

==
fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
YTNBKRKTAKW==
=fC==fUCKOFF FFYTNBKRKTAKW==
=fCKF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==
KF OFF TUBMRLTALE==
=FUIKCO FGTUBMRLTAE==

lol epic meme

e-bin

Nothing has come close for me.

Sorry are we talking about the same Hollywood here?

lel
top lel

Vidya is the next medium if the world doesn't end. Not even in a Gone Homo kind of way.

Yes, that's what makes it worse.

This is what nerds actually believe.

I thought people stopped the "Kojims is a good writer" meme after TPP finally broke the illusion.

I don't see the point of the attempt to poz vidya enitrely if it wasn't.

the story of liru and the anons rewriting the universe with their dicks

If Yume Nikki and Lisa 1 were short films: the Cinémathèque Française would go to any ridiculous length to preserve them.