I got a sega saturn, installed pseudo saturn on the action replay cart...

I got a sega saturn, installed pseudo saturn on the action replay cart, and I've been burning saturn discs on my win98 laptop because it's the slowest disc drive I have around. This is amazing, I'm reliving a world I was barely a part of and like when I came into the classic xbox scene I feel like I'm discovering a whole new world of video games.

I've got a copy of Cotton Boomerang, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA and Princess Crown sitting at home. I have like 90 verbatim CDs left over, what else should I get? I don't even care if they're multiplats, I want cool shit on my Saturn.

Have you got a modded saturn? Psuedo saturn is so worth it, just make sure you can burn those discs really slowly. My PC only does as slow as 16x and the discs only work like one in every 8 tries, so they're practically trash.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/SegaSaturn/comments/32rerh/easy_guide_to_play_backupsimports_on_saturn/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_player
didyouknow.org/dvdhistory/
ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Saturn-Developer-KIT-Cross-SNASM-2-Jap-Dev-Development-Debug-bundle-Boxed/272214845344?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=37450&meid=f32d5623802a4444a39303d05e20578d&pid=100009&rk=6&rkt=10&mehot=pp&sd=322009181289
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You should play Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Deka if you like beat em ups mixed with QTE cutscenes and lots of wacky stuff. There's also a remake for the PS2 which includes the original game as well as TONS of extra content.

sounds awesome. I think I'll play the Saturn version, I wanna play tons of shit like Mega Man X4 and Quake, Powerslave, etc.

My CRT TV and Jap light gun should be coming in soon.

Dragon force is one of my fav games of all time.

If you stick the saturn disc in a CD drive on your pc there is an easter egg text file with lore for the world.

I'll have to try that one out too.
This is how I had to burn my Saturn games at a safe speed. I think I was doing it at 4x.

Worked beautifully with no errors. Have you guys installed Pseudo Saturn?

General when? Also, I feel you OP, I mod-chipped mine and its like reliving the OG Xbox all over again. This console has so many gems, Ive burnt easily over 100 games for it. This guy knows his shit its essentially a "prequel" (in the loosest form of the word) of Dynamite Cop. Other games to play are: Pandemonium, Any of the Dragoon games, Shining Force III (fan translated), Dragon Force II (fam translated), Guardian Heroes, Parodius and a whole slew more. Will post more once Im home from my collection

I just use imgburn and burn to the slowest speed supported for both my DC and Saturn games (8x on mine). Only had maybe 2-3 bad burns from over 200 games

My slowest speed was 16x on my desktop, so I was infuriated trying to get a working disc, wondering what the problem was. First thing I burned at 4x on my T42 worked so I was really happy.

I kinda stopped making Xbox threads because the mojo seemed to disappear and E3 really kicked my ass with how much traffic the site was getting. I still love my classic Xbox, but maybe I can be the saturn-user for a while instead.

I do have to say, doing the swap trick was kinda scary. I'm gonna be checking out all these games too.

I really need to get around to finishing Willy Wombat, Clockwork Knight 1-2 and those Gundam Blue Destiny games.

Wait, so you need to do the swap-trick for every game? Well thats bollocks right there.

Yeah I noticed they started dwindling, still you attracted a bunch of anons to a system that was previously pretty much a "no gaems" meme console. I used to make a bunch of DC threads but interest hasnt been so large as before (random anons still make threads tho, like the current one in the catalogue)

No, just had to do the swap once. Once psuedo saturn is installed it ignores the copy protection wobble.

Oh, and i believe firmly, apart from a few exceptions, every console has gamed worth experiencing.

Any guide how to mod a saturn? Never messed with a console before. I googled and saw a reddit thread,
reddit.com/r/SegaSaturn/comments/32rerh/easy_guide_to_play_backupsimports_on_saturn/

would that work?
I want to play dragon force 2 badly.

Psuedosaturn is the best method until that guy releases that flashcart for the saturn.

I can help you if you stop by the thread when i get home in about 5 hours.

Its nothing crazy and it'll probably cost you 30, 40 bucks?

Im guessing thats the Pseudo-Saturn guide. I hardmodded mine, ie - soldering.

Sure, but some consoles are relatively obsolete. Take the N64 for example, every game that is worth a damn either has
With only a few exceptions like the Goemon games and Banjo. It makes owning an N64 (as in buying one now, not already owning one) very impractical.

Thatll probably be atleast a year till it hits the market.

Going to start posting some games in case chart-user pops in and decides to make a chart. Feel free to do so as well.

Lets start with the obvious ones shall we?

I can solder easy, if there is a way id like to do it that way, I have a good amount of experience. I'll look it up.

Unless the thread dies ill check in

Yes there is, I bought my chip from assemblergames they've got people selling them in europe, australia and the US. So you should be able to get one for cheap. I got the universal one.

The games I used to play the most on my Saturn back in the day were:

and
living in the city

then I got a Playstation and never touched it again

Well thats a pity,

Them fucking controls though its not a bad sonic game

I think theres no question that the playstation dominated, but i think thats a tires debate everyone reasonable knows the answer to. What I'm interested in is discussing and playing the games that may have been lost in the crossfire, so to speak. Games that may not be up there with the genre or era defining titles, but the niche, unique hits that struck a note with an impassioned fan. I think thats a more intersting story to tell than one where sony won. We know that, but there is a lot to experience when you see both sides.

Japanese games especially.

Sorry i was unclear and misreplied.

The psuedo saturn trick is the pretty inexpensive solution, just reuqiring some blank discs and the action replay cart. I also strongly disagree about n64 being a problem solved with vc or emulation.

Even if you play a game that could be expected to be emulated with all things successfully done like in the original, there may be changes or inconsistencies. Look at DKC for the vc, the parrot light flash is removed, and it was a part of the experience. If each successive remake, port or emulation removes something tiny each time, in the end you are not experiencing the same game.

I think the original n64 is also very valuable for this reason. Plus its still a blast to play mario kart with 4 buddies and a few pizzas.
Without the n64 pad and the game being played as the devs originally intended, it is not the same. These changes may obscure context around discussion and historical relevance and it is very important when you aim to understans the industry.

Forgot i had sage on, i think this is worth bumping with.

Saturn Bomberman is a blast, the best thing about is that it has 10 player support no less. Well that and the great single player experience, crisp graphics and tight gameplay. The only other BM game with such good multiplayer would have to be Atomic Bomberman (also 10 players).

I was just mentioning the few good games I played on the saturn and why I didnt play more, Im not trying to start a console war. I was lucky enough to have a n64 a saturn and a playstation, they were all great consoles in their own ways.

I've only got one multitap on my system so its been 7 players only so far for me, still looking for another one but damn they're expensive (generic ones going for $30+, the Bomberman edition going for $50+)

I welcome console wars, i love a good fight, but I don't think you were being instigative or anything. Sorry if i came off as confrontational

I swear, the artist of the second image draws smut. If only I remembered his name.

Just go to page 1 of the sega_saturn tag on gelbooru. I got it from there

It's like you fags don't even want to have fun with arcade ports.

that's the ticket.

One of the best arcade ports ever, some japs even like it over the arcade one.

If you have any questions, fire away.

the saturn was recently cracked, can we put games on a hard drive and play em yet?

I don't think that chip is done being developed yet. It would work in theory, considering what was said about the chip, but of course, compatibility issues wait to be discovered. I'm very, very excited to see how that turns out. Currently the best you can do is flash an action replay cart with Pseudo Saturn and burn discs.

dang, I was hoping to play some of these saturn games, but I heard the emulator is shite and that there's a weird disc drive thing.

the disc drive isn't an insurmountable problem, I just got 100 verbatims from best buy, and flashed the expansion cart myself.

yeah, but it still sounds like a giant hassle. not to mention that aside from my PS4 and WiiU, I don't really deal with discs anymore. I usually emulate everything or store all of the games on a hard drive.

I really don't think it's that bad. I'm actually just sorting the discs into an official Sony PS1 disc bag. Feels a little dirty, but that's just the way I am.

It is also pretty easy.

To each their own I guess,

I personally don't mind waiting for the hard drive mod since it doesn't seem that far away.

I'm not sure, I've tracked things like the PSIO development in the past, and when they enter that pre-production, finalization and finally production phase that wait can be a year or two.

I'll be getting it as soon as it's live, of course.

I didn't either but it really is simple. Just choose the cue file on imgburn and burn. Thats it, its all it takes, then storing games is as easy as having a spindle, dvd cases, or anything else really. Pic related. If you're really autistic and don't mind shelling out top-dollar, you can always purchase a Rhea for the Saturn or a GDEMU for the Dreamcast.

You tweeted some Princess Crown screenshots.

Man, I beat Princess Crown a long while ago on my PSP but the Saturn version just looks so damn good.

I've never actually seen pixel art that looks that good. It's something else to behold it in motion.

Well, it's got team members that went on and become Vanillaware which is notorious for their pretty games.

Unfortunately, it does suffer in other departments. Repetitive gameplay, world and dungeons design, lack of monsters and lack of music.

Story is great but it's a shame such a good looking game doesn't have a good soundtrack to accompany it.

A re-imagining of Princess Crown fixing the glaring issues with the game would be my favorite game ever probably.

Yes, I recognized kamitani's style, and the way the load menu is handled clearly went on to Odinsphere.

Went to bed early last night, but I'm lurking. Currently have a list I've been putting together for a start, most of it coming from an existing lowish-res Saturn chart from back in the day on halfchan (or at least, that's where I expect it was originally from). Haven't gotten around to doing much work on it yet though since Saturn threads are a bit few and far between. Open for further refinement and additions to it. Going to try to start grabbing cover images later.

On a related note, looking at some of the covers posted in this thread, why couldn't Sega seem to keep the system banner formatting consistent? I mean, I understand (and even expect) some differences between the formatting between regions, but even just looking at the US releases they seem to have had at least two variants of it. Pretty sure they also did the same with the Genesis and Dreamcast as well.

Might be your burning software. Never heard of a drive having a hard-set minimum. If it can read disks at low speeds, that means it can spin at low speeds.

Gotta love the 98SE though. 2000 and XP were ballin' too. Windows 7 can't even compare to 98 and CounterStrike or XP and CSS.

Looking good chart-user. The only bad thing is that the Saturn covers (except Jap ones) fucking suck. They shouldve gone woth regular DVD size. The PAL and NTSC only differ in colour, while the JAP one is a jewel case like the DC. There are some games where the image doesnt fill the whole side like Darius Gaiden.

What was the point for making the western cases so big anyhow, beyond Sega having made a number of mistakes in general as to how the Saturn was handled here? I mean, I've never had a Saturn myself, but it seems like they'd be a real bitch to try to find space to fit on a certain shelving units, unless you went horizontally.

Of course, with the actual chart, I'll probably just do what I did for the SNES one and divide up the western ones and Japan-only ones due to cover sizing differences

If I had to guess, big cases probably make people subconsciously feel like they got more bang for their buck.

Maybe. Strikes me that it would make me think "do I have room on my shelves for this?" but that's just me.

Were those sort of cases even used for any other form of media at the time, or just Saturn games in the west? If not, it seems like they'd be harder to replace if need be (cracks, etc) than a regular PS1 sized jewel case, where you can just open them up and swap out the tray cards.

You have to remember, back then the primary audience for games was kids/teens and they couldn't afford to buy games very often, so when they did they'd try to get as much for their money as they could, or at least that's what the marketing people thought.

I know Sega CD games used them too, but outside of that I can't think of anything. Those types of cases could have actually work pretty well for those huge anthology box sets they do for certain musicians, like Phil Spector's "Back to Mono". That thing's case is about as big as 4 vinyl LPs stacked on top of each other.

honestly it may have been a carry over from the sega CD, they may have just had a lot of these cases already produced so they kept using them.

I personally love the giant jewel cases.

I like the giant jewel cases until they crack because they're flimsy as shit.

They are very fragile, but they have a tremendous amount of presence compared to standard CD jewel cases. Early PS1 games also used them.

They had an overstock of Sega CD cases and just used them instead of normal CD cases.

DVDs didn't exist back in 1995 retard.

DVD ("digital versatile disc" or "digital video disc") is a digital optical disc storage format invented and co-developed by Philips, Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic in 1995.

wrong nigga

And it wasn't used in any commercial capacity until around 1997 (when the Saturn was pretty dead in the water), fucktard.

I don't care, you still a wrong ass nigga

you aren't taking this seriously, are you?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_player

didyouknow.org/dvdhistory/

It wasn't at all commercially available when Saturn was around nigger. There was no standard on how to package and distribute the discs.

You're really retarded aren't you?

so guess i need to find a toaster or an used laptop? goddammit

or have a good disc drive that doesn't refuse to go below 16x. People usually use 4x or 8x.

Lunar 3.

Tried one of my all time favorite games.
Good:
Includes Doom 1 & 2
New music and sounds are great!
bad:
framerate is worse than it was on my PC from the 90s.
Looks worse too

Oh well. Next I'm gonna give Duke3D and Quake a shot.

Look at them fuckin' balls.

will definitely play that.

Do you even play all that shit you autist.

Bomp

Sure I do, there's several games I haven't tried yet but all of those are games I either want to play/have played and enjoy. Also

No need to be offended cunt.

You can blame Carmack for that.

Sounds like a story.

Carmack what the fuck were you thinking. Worst I can imagine is the game had some Z-warping, but Duke3D plays fine with that. At least Quake and Duke are pretty playable, not perfect, I can think of some things I'd like to do, but I'm happy to experience them with the saturn 3d pad.

bump

bomp

I started playing Cotton 2. I'm in love with Cotton and now I want to play every game in the series.

Except the Pachinko one. Usually not much of a shmup person but wow, this is incredible.

I think the last one is on the DC. The Megadrive Cotton was the tits

rainbow cotton and panorama cotton look like the best games in the series. Panorama especially may bluntly be the best looking game on all 16-bit systems.

Ever feel like you missed a bullet by a hairs length or something?

I have pretty long hair but it turns out I got really lucky and the Saturn scene is exploding thanks to the system finally being cracked. I work at a classic game store and apparently the boss is getting tons of calls and questions about Saturns. I don't want to look up the prices, but this is pretty interesting. Now people are asking me to flash their AR carts and everything.

Got mine for $50, which I consider to be relatively cheap. Seen them going for 70+ now

That game still blows mind in terms of programming tricks.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Saturn-Developer-KIT-Cross-SNASM-2-Jap-Dev-Development-Debug-bundle-Boxed/272214845344?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=37450&meid=f32d5623802a4444a39303d05e20578d&pid=100009&rk=6&rkt=10&mehot=pp&sd=322009181289

Think there's anything interesting on it?

How Sega Saturn emulation?
I hear great things about the Saturn pad, especially for fighting games.
I've got a bit of a toaster but it can probably handle the Saturn if emulation's efficient.

Nice collection. I think the only Saturn game I have that you don't is Radiant Silvergun. You probably have it in there somewhere though i'm sure.

For the billionth time, SSF works fine for most games.

>>>/4chan/

in any case I'm gonna wait on that one dude who recently cracked the Saturn, I remember a relative owning one and played Sonic R on it

would love to get a collection going

You may want to get a Saturn now before the price goes insane. It's already jumped up notably, but you may be able to find some around the $60 range.

Its the tits mate. Got two, plus an adapter so I can use it + the Saturn controllers for the Dreamcast. Works like a charm and its cheaper than buying a pad for the DC.

I do in fact own it, its just that there's several games I don't have either DVD boxes for or covers for.

Time travel is fun. But now I feel old.

Some of us have been gaming for a long time and aren't ghettoniggers.

I had 150 xbox360 games but I threw them all away.

How? The xbox had maybe 30-40 worthwhile games counting multiplats. Where you collecting for it or just bought everything under the sun?

You autistic troglodyte. Why would you throw all that away? At least put an ad in craigslist or something, I'm sure someone would want that. But now it'll probably just sit in a fucking dump for the rest of eternity.

This. Give them away on craigslist or fuck, even some user here on 8ch if you lived in the same area or something. You could do something like a drop and pick up.

Too much work and I'm not poor enough to care about a few hundred dollars.

The 360 lasted ten years, it had plenty of games.

Lots of obscure JRPGs nobody remembers.

Oh, yeah, i'm DEFINITELY going to want the shotty emulated version of the game over the real thing.

Show me the N64 games that were ported to anything that's not vita or nu3ds and i'll show you a bunch of inferior ports.

Wew, you sound like a nice person.

How in fresh hell

RIGHT NOW ON EBAY:
Console by itself - 40-50 bucks
Controller 10-25 depending if you care if about
- If it's the super pad 8(10 bucks)
-If it's Japanese(~20)
-If it's the 3D pad(~25)
AC is 5 bucks
RF is 6.50
Ram is 20 bucks? Least that's the cheapest i can find
So you're pretty much looking at 61.50 at the bare minimum if you just get the generic controller with no save cart

At least Last Remnant actually has a pc port.

the original xbox has about 60 top notch games, maybe about 90 worth giving a try in total.

I haven't seen it here yet, so here's a Holla Forums recommends saturn chart I stole from a previous thread.

The game itself is pretty bad, the xbox version is absolute shite

Tell me one game that is badly emulated.

Fuck off gook.

ebin post

Did anyone ever get a good DOOM port up and running on the Saturn? Or at least fixed the shit one on it?

Is Quake on it worth a go or not?

no

quake is pretty good, and there's some interesting level design changes. It's neat seeing how the assets work in a new engine, looks great on a CRT too.

Doom, hopefully someone fixes it. Thanks for fucking that up Carmack, the most powerful 2D system and you didn't give it the opportunity to run the game on a system that had the potential to let it shine on a whole other level. I'm thinking now that it's been cracked, homebrew will grow just a little bit once the expansion card comes out. With homebrew comes doom ports, naturally.