I need something highly competitive and time consuming, I've played everything from CS:GO to day-z

I need something highly competitive and time consuming, I've played everything from CS:GO to day-z

It doesn't have to be an FPS or any specific genre just something I can focus a lot of time into and it has to have an actual alive player base so sadly stuff like Quake doesn't work for me.

Have you tried Overwatch?

I have and I think it's pretty fun

But It's not really what I'm looking for, it's a bit too casual.

Don't reply to flagfaggots.

Russian Roulette

What's the matter dude.

Starcraft?
Guilty Gear?

You need to put an absurd amount of time into one RTS or Fighting game to not being rolled over in higher levels of play, and it's impossible to master an entire genre.

Checked

Path of exile or dota 2. Hard games and literal time eaters.

I haven't heard much but isn't the RTS genre particularly barren in terms of its player base?
And I've also dumped about 1500+ hours into SF4, and I've gotten into GG lately but have just been burnt out on Fighters.

I probably should have mentioned that I'm not really into MOBAs. I've played POE with a few friends, I might give it a shot later.

If you want true challange then i suggest real life. You can be killed any second, learning curve is out of roof, very competetive. I like to imagine real life as SS13 if you know what to do you are OP as fuck. Why dont you give it a try?

(checked)
Games like Starcraft have a bit of a cult following still. There's always the Total War games too.

No? It's pretty casual monster clicker, you don't need any skill for it.

It could be good, but fuck needing to rely on other humans to succeed.

I dunno, I thought starcraft 2 is one of those never dying games like Dota or CS?
I have this one friend who dropped out of SC because to progress further he had to put too much time into it, which he couldn't afford.

Damn. Well try something unconvetional like Blade Symphony or Gundam Vs then. However I don't know if they have healthy player bases at the moment.

ebin

Have you tried Edd, Ed n Eddy Online? They just got the Edtropolis update with two new quest hubs and a travel system, if you get a group you can probably get past all the ganking Kevins to the new area.

Get into speed running games. A ton of the communities are really accepting of new people and are really into helping each other out.

You just gotta find your game.

Belka is weak and will always be crushed by Osea.

Rainbow Six: Siege might be what you're looking for if you want a shooter with an active playerbase. It has matchmaking issues and a big hacker problem but it's competitive and fun.
Endless Legend is more geared towards single player but it oozes atmosphere and you can easily lost track of time playing it.
Subnautica is an early access survival crafting thing carried by the fairly unique premise of taking place almost entirely underwater. I forgot to go to sleep last night because I was so enamored by the thought of getting some better gear so I could explore deeper parts of the ocean and see more cool stuff.

I've actually been very interested in speed running, just it doesn't seem super fun learning how to do a specific glitch correctly for like 2 hours.

I'm pretty sure no-glitch runs are a thing

Rainbow Six: Siege might be a good choice, but I heard it's kinda P2W, and I the price point is kinda steep atm.

I loved CIV5, and when I went to go play Endless Legend with a friend by brain literally exploded, so maybe I could sink some time into learning what's actually happening.

It really isn't. It's debatable with Blackbeard's shield but shotguns got buffed in that same update and those are his counter.
I don't know if they're still offering the grindfest $15 version. It makes unlocking operators a chore but recruits are absolutely viable since they can take a second item in lieu of an operator's special ability. That means that where with an operator you'd have to choose between breach charges or frag grenades, you can take both as well as have more weapons available to you at the cost of not having any attachments. Operators get fancy gadgets but their guns are no more effective than a recruit's.
Endless Legend opens wide up once you start to grasp how the game works and the different faction quirks.

How casual is it? Give me the nitty gritty

For Rainbow Six? What I feel is the biggest issue stems from the netcode. It favors the aggressor coming around a corner rather than the defender lying in wait. It's not at all uncommon to get shot when from your perspective you got safely to cover. You won't notice it much if you play the co-op terrorist hunt mode but against other humans you'll feel it.
The destruction system is really neat but not many maps use it to it's full potential. Some maps like the bank have very few surfaces you can shoot and breach through. You also can't blow through any part of the floor into the room below like the E3 demo showed. If the latest big update is any indication the dev team is trying to make the new maps use the destruction system better.
Like I mentioned, matchmaking isn't great, I was not even level 20 and I was getting paired with level 160 guys, there's a lot of cheating, and the new operators are locked behind a huge grind in a scummy way to try and incentivize buying the season pass.
There are microtransactions but only cosmetics are exclusively behind real money paywalls. Everything that actually effects the game can be earned by playing.
I paid $20 for it in conjunction with a gift card and I feel I got my money's worth, but if it was all out of pocket I feel $30 would be a fair price for it. Wait for a sale and if the price is right try it out or see if the $15 version is still available. The only difference between the two versions is the cheap one amps the grind way the hell up but I explained in another post why this won't affect your ability to play all that much.
The playerbase has remained strong since release, surpassing ten thousand players at peak hours so it doesn't take long to get into a match.
All in all I'd give it a 7 or an 8/10. I still want Patriots but this is still plenty fun and I feel I got money's worth. Check out gameplay footage and see if it looks appealing to you