How do I earn money from an online game without making it "cheap"?

I'm working on a competitive arena shooter with complex magical combat (spells will have to be cast via a combination of inputs, none of the spells are hardcoded)

I do not expect the game to sell at a high pricetag, since I'm a single dev, not a huge corporation that can buy Steam hotspots and amazing journalist reviews.

I was considering adding glove skins, which would be thematic and fitting into the art design of the game (aka no danger colors like CS:GO guns), but the second I discussed the idea with my girlfriend, she chewed me the fuck out and said that she expects higher standards from me than microtransactions.

While I do not think that cosmetics can be put on the same level, I do value her input.

Therefore we end up here. How do I make dosh from a game that I'll likely sink thousands more hours into developing without "cheapening" it?

So pretty much a FPS of Magika?

Yeah, the inspiration was definitely Magicka. I'm aiming at a more "eldritch", and low-poly visual style, somewhat like the original Quake, only slightly more graphically advanced to appeal to the normalfags as well.

Nigger, dont change your vision to bring in a wider audience. Make the game you want, and if it gets popular and you make alot of money then good. Dont sacrifice your image for money user.

I'm not, semi-low poly was a part of the original idea, sort of like revamped Quake. Bringing in a wider audience was but a validating afterthought.

Make a patreon if you don't mind being called a jew.
But since you're considering microtransactions, you're probably far past that point.

If your game is good, retards will happily throw money at you to continue "working" on your game.

Cosmetic microtransactions don't affect gameplay, though. I'll happily change my point of view if you can tell me why paid cosmetics are bad.

It can get to tf2 levels of invasive and make an economy. Its not so bad if theyre reasonably priced and can be ignored.

So, do you think that CS:GO skins are bad?

Yes. Lockboxes are the worst way to impliment cosmetics. If you are going to do cosmetic skins, have them all cost 2 bucks a peice. No limited edition skins, no trading. The buyers know what they are getting, and there is no chance of a skin going to 50+ dollars.

But… But… Skins increased CS:GO popularity tenfold! How can I pass such an opportunity up?!

Bitch, stop trying to make your shit csgo levels of popular. Dont sacrifice your vision for profit.

Goddamn this is the closest experience I've ever had to infernal temptation. This is what a priest must feel when he wants to jerk off.

What would jesus do?

You're already planning to sell the game, why do you need more money on top of that?

You realize by putting a pricetag on the game, you're heavily limiting its long term community, right? Paid indie multiplayer games don't get big adoption and the community never lasts long for obvious reasons, it'll just join the ranks of the thousands other dead multiplayer games on Steam

In other words, you're already running something of a scam. The game you're selling isn't going to be playable for any reasonable timeframe that anyone who buys and supports it would expect. Fucking your fans for immediate profits wasn't enough, you're still trying to find more ways to monetize on top of that. Fuck off kike

And paid cosmetics aren't categorically problematic. That's a newfag misconception. There are many different ways to monetize and many ways to implement each one, the question is always: "am I sacrificing the quality, experience and vision of my game for the sake of increasing profits?" & "if yes, is it worth it?"

Also, when you release it free, make sure you fucking release it open source too, stupid cunt

user I'm fucking poor. The fact that I'm only considering it, and seeking Holla Forums's advice to ensure quality of the game gotta tell you that I'm not just seeking profit.

However, I'm also tired of eating fucking ramen. I'm trying to make a good game that I really, really want to make for the hell of it, but also get some money from it on the side, what's so wrong with that?

Why are you getting mad at me for something that I haven't done yet, user?

Jesus would die on a cross for my sins of running a skin market in a paid videogame, so I get off scot free. :^)

If your game is actually good you can survive off donations from it or the mere sales from the base game.

A legion of clientless bots…

Oh, you're selling a game. You should play a few games to get some ideas.

Planetside 2: F2P. Battle of Duty clone. Most stuff can be unlocked by earning certs by playing. Good luck with that, goyim. You'll be begging to buy those sony bucks in no time. It's all fucking OP pay2win as fuck too but I had a good few hours until I never played it again. Lots of hackers.

DotA 2: F2P. Skins, UI skins, and voices can be bought but also random drops. They can be traded to help complete sets. You can also buy access to livesteaming pro events or whatever. There's probably more shit by now. You'd have to look.

D4: They sold UI skins. Stupid tbh. Should have made a fucking expansion but the head retard went off his rocker.

TF2: F2P. Meme game. I don't think anyone actually plays that shit.

CSGO: $15. Weapon skins. I don't think they've started selling maps yet, but I haven't played in a long time. You'll never compete with this meme game. The players are all aspies with one-itis.

Star Citizen: Still in development. Buy a $14000 ship before they're all gone, goyim. I hear Roberts has a nice house in Panama.

FlyFF: F2P. Children's and Female MMO. Maybe untapped demographic. The game is shit, but there were lots of people pedophiles in there a few years ago. I think you could buy nearly anything with your mother's credit card.

The only thing that appeals to me is content. Like an expansion and extra polish that goes into the whole game. But I'm no whale.

this. cosmetics are for people who want to get the absolute maximum amount of money out of their audience, but in reality it's only a small portion of whales that are supporting you.

looks like the microtransaction idea is not going to work out nearly as well as I thought it would.

Oh well. Back to rigging those fucking models

But realistically, you can't expect shit off of a multiplayer only experience. Even if were an established company with a large following doesn't mean anyone will play your game (see; battleborn) Nobody wants to pay for multiplayer only, and with all the f2p models out there, it's pretty much the standard. So you either do microtransactions, which you've already been put down by your girlfriend for, you can do subscription, but nobody is going to pay subscription on an indie game from a company nobody has heard of, or you can run ads.

Make a singleplayer game first before you enter the over saturated market of "competitive online only" games. Make something that gets people interested in your name. There are already shit loads of online-only games on Steam that nobody ever plays, do you think those devs are making any money?

You're a fucking idiot if you think you can make good money with good vidya at the scale of bedroom development. Either exploit the industry and fleece 14 year olds on steam like everyone else or get realistic. The delusions of agdg never ceases to amaze me. It's always so clear you fags don't even play videogames, you've got no understanding how the market looks. I mean you're taking the advice of your fucking girlfriend for your first opinion, and then Holla Forums for a second one. What about forming your own, dumbass? Your paltry Hexen Meets Magicka isn't going to be the next Insurgency. I highly doubt you'd even manage to make it fucking balanced let alone have decent netcode.

Because you're planning to do it?

Singleplayer with multiplayer tacked on will have just as dead a community as a paid for multiplayer exclusive. The only difference is the idiots who bought it won't feel completely burned by the unplayable garbae in their library.

I agree with everything else, f2p is the only way to go. Microtransactions aren't the only option to monetize, though. Donations, patreon, early access, adspace are all possible too. In the end, you're not going to get cosmetic sales unless you cultivate the kind of cancerous community that would encourage those select autists to dump all their good boy points into it.

Ideally you'd want to make a game good enough to be worth a purchase.
Release free content regularly, like maps/characters whatever.
Good games that get free shit over time get popular so you'd make money from more sales.

My only argument against cosmetic microtransactions is that you're spending time developing DLC reskinned bullshit instead of on your game.

There's also the fact that unless your game is very popular/good, people won't be very inclined to spend money on cosmetics.
Shit's a turn-off for a lot of people unless they've sunk a decent amount of hours into the game already.

A lot of gamers are anti-cosmetic, and if they see that you've added them into your little indie game, it may even dissuade them from buying it.
A patreon is usually seen as harmless and more acceptable outside of Holla Forums.
Included that bit at the end because everyone here hates everything anyway.

If your game turns out good, I'd say patch in cosmetics if you REALLY want them, and even in that situation, a patreon would most likely bring in more consistent money.

Telling you nigga, make a patreon.

If he makes a patreon that receives significant funding (covering the cost of production), he has no defendable right to not release the game for free. Prove me wrong

I literally play videogames all day. My girlfriend plays them less, but still plays them a lot.

I have my own opinion, however (unlike you, I take it) I accept that I may be wrong, so I asked her for her opinion and then decided to ask an imageboard full of autists (don't get mad, I'm an autismo, too) with incredibly high standards to give me their advice on a move that I already had second thoughts about.

The whole "highly doubt you'll make this and that" is a baseless assumption. All it takes to do things well is cover your bases, read books, tutorials, and consult other programmers/artists/modellers, as well as put in a lot of hours, which I have no problem doing.

That's a very good point. I'm leaning towards free updates now, as a means to keep a sustained interest.

In my mind, I'd be opening a community workshop to create those things for me. But oh well, I'm past that idea now.

I'll make a patreon when the game is developed enough to create some footage. I gotta write some music for it, too.

I mean, yeah, I legally can. The fact that its not illegal and its my own IP by definition makes it a defendable right.

I'm just saying.

Doesn't mean I'm going to do it, doesn't mean I'm not. But as a point, I gotta say that your post is fucking retarded.

Are you going for business or art?

Videogames is my greatest passion since I was a little kid. All I'm trying to do here is do what I love and be able to sustain myself with it.

That's not really how opinions work.
In the end it's up to the dev. Whether you agree with it or not, or if it's a smart business move is a completely different story.
I'd assume a lot of people here would not agree with it, because of how Holla Forums is.
I personally don't give a shit what the dev does, because if I am capable of forming my own opinions. If I don't like their business practices I won't buy it.

However, you are correct in that most patreons do go that way, with a free game and monthly funding, but I think a few have got away with a paid game + patreon.
Your game has to be very good though.

I think what they do to compensate is create a pledge tier that guarantees Patrons a free copy of the game once it comes out, plus all the other usual patreon shit to keep people from pledging for a month and dropping it.
Or maybe that's for kickstarter. I don't know.

Keep in mind that patreons don't really work if the game is finished.
I'm not saying don't finish your game, but people like to jump on early access shit for whatever reason.
They wouldn't really have a reason to pledge to you if your game is done already, but you seem like you know that already.

I dont mind skins at all but dont sell skins in a RNG lootbox but sell them 2-4 usd per skin so people know what you are buying

On the topic of skins, certain colours could blend into certain backgrounds easier, slowing your opponents reaction time. You can see how this could affect gameplay as people start buying certain skins and cosmetics to blend in better with the environment.

I've given you like 4 opinions ITT. Are you autistic?

Of course it's legal, that's a given. I meant ethically. It's not a question of if you can get away with exploiting your customers, just if you are doing it. Not that I wouldn't consider it too given the chance, what do I owe to the industry? I don't love videogames that much that I'd refrain from helping destroy them if it meant losing out on real good money

Learn what an opinion is. That wasn't one.

You're mistaken. Most go this route, very few bother releasing it free. It's the same with kickstarter games, which are essentially the same trouble: funded by public, but not released for the public. The few examples I can think of are all Japanese using self designed crowdfunded systems

They could do that, it'd still be a scam.

The only fair compensation would be to treat the funders as what they are - investors in a private commercial venture - and give them a stake in the future profits; or release the game as a public work, as it was funded through donations from the public.
Prove me wrong.

Nigger what are you doing? There is literally dozens of those on Steam, many of them Free2Play and noone plays them.

How many Multiplayer shooters you know that had success without having Valve or Blizzard behind them.

Gamedev is a shitty profession for an ungrateful audience and I respect that you took this path, but I'm pretty sure ANY other genre has more chances of success than indie multiplayer dead-on-arrival game #435343

I was only really thinking of "tasteful" ones. Like subtle glove skins, say a person wants a black leather glove instead of a standard brown leather glove.

you misread my post

Also, ethics and morals are metaphysical concepts and I'm not much into that sort of jazz

Are you pricing them at 5 cents each or something, why bother over something so small?

EVERY TIME

You're right, my bad

"Not being an asshole" & "not participating in a cancer [arguably] destroying a medium you [presumably] love" isn't that metaphysical

god i wish i had any skills whatsoever at coding, or art design, or anything. i've got a banging idea for a game that would actually be pretty easy to make, and could probably function as a spreadsheet, but with some 3d modeling and some art could actually be pretty cool

alas

give out your game to youtube reviewers, any and all with a large enough audience, don't care if they're pure cancer you need the exposure

get a patron, don't argue with me just do it

don't release your game on early access, it rarely works out and you don't have what it takes for it to work out

make a thread on here and all the other sites but remember when you do you should also have enough of the game working inorder to dump a not really demo

your ideas don't really matter, what matters is actually putting the effort into making it

that's exactly why i'm bummed that i have none of those skills. i need to figure out how to maximum heeb a kikestarter with nothing but an idea so i can pay some people to actually make this game

fuck

this. kids that think their idea is so good that they can't even share a summary of it without it getting stolen clearly don't have enough experience with the realities of game development to have any idea worth hearing

You need to take your pills, you raging sperglord.

I'm not a dev, but even being a consumer I can see developers who have a passion for what they do getting destroyed by irate clowns like you.

well color me fucking surprised. kill yourself.

First step is to include memes in the game so that children, Let's players and normalfags can enjoy it.

those youtube kiddes will buy the game, play it for abit then drop it for the next thing that comes along if it doesn't get popular enough and this is something that I don't see getting popular, think of this more as a back ally quickie for 5 squids

go get those skills then cunt

I can't prove you wrong, because what's "fair" is subjective. It varies from person to person.
You may think that what you proposed is fair, and I may think the opposite, or we could both have the same opinion on the issue. It really depends.
And that's completely fine. A world without differing opinions would be very boring, and this website probably wouldn't exist.

There is no "one correct way" to do things in ethics, user. There's only what you believe, and what everyone else believes.

Unless you're asking for what the majority of people believe should happen, in which case your belief on what is "fair" is different from the majority, since like you said, most Patreons DO have paid games+monthly costs.

It's an opinion, man.

has all the money thrown into early access/crowdfunding even managed to produce a single game good enough to stand up to the titans of freeware era indies yet?

No? Color me fucking surprised.

Learn what an opinion is. Fair as in "equivalent & unobscured monetary compensation," not whatever elementary school nonsense you're going on about. Try it again

So you're asking how to keep a game good while still being able to monetize it? Make a list of all the ways you could make money from it and decide which ones you want and don't want. Let's break it down:

And so on…

Feel free to add to this list, but consider which of these items you want.

And with that, we've determined you're autistic and can't handle opinions different than your own.
I tried being reasonable.

Kill yourself my man.

Sounds fine to sell skins as long as you have a few free ones or ones you can earn so people who don't pay don't all look the same and you make it so you just buy them with money not slot machines or buying crate keys.

I was planning to allow them to randomly drop in the game, with varying degrees of rarity, while still allowing them to be bought from the ingame store.

Not being an asshole is relative, and if you attempt to tie that to morals it instantly becomes metaphysical. Same goes for any other concept that's inherently tied to something being "good" or "bad".

user, up until a few months ago I had no idea how to rig a blender model, or how to create one. My first project was to create a first-person arm viewmodel, which I had to learn how to model for, how to rig, and how to PROPERLY rig and animate. That first experience allowed me to learn enough to easily plow through every other model I've ever had to make.

All other skills are possible to obtain. Don't be a faggot, use your exceptional human ability to learn.

user, stop being idealistic. Putting in subtle hooks to reel in audiences is a marketing tactic, it's literally how ALL media works.

As much as that guy seems arrogant, I have to agree that there is not such thing as "ungrateful" when it comes to a customer that is dissatisfied with a product. Customer complaints should be received with patience of a buddhist monk.

This here is exactly the reason why I never take anything metaphysical seriously.

Your understanding of what is "fair" is elementary school nonsense. There's no such thing as fair, the world runs on two things:

1) Money, which is a universal unit of socioeconomic power

2) Law, which governs how the abovedescribed units of socioeconomic power can be used and/or obtained

I'll definitely be releasing it on Steam. It's simply the way to go nowadays.

They're definitely going to be something that has a chance to drop ingame.

OK. Remember when Redigit released Terraria, added a huge free expansion and then announced he was leaving development to take care of his newborn son?

What followed was a campaign of hate by retards that made me ashamed of being part of the community. And I'm not talking about getting mean tweets from throwaway Twitter accounts, I'm talking about literally hundreds of posts on the public forum insulting him and wishing death to him and his son.

It's all probably still online if you feel like looking it up.

don't forget other places like gog

you want as wide of a release as possible

Hey OP, I think it's kinda odd that you'd choose a niche genre that normalfags will never touch and hardcore players will stick to the games they already play, but good luck. I hope the magic system is different enough to separate itself from the other arena shooters while also, you know, be good and fun.

The more moral choice here if you decide to do cosmetic microtransactions is to just sell skins for a set price. That's dumb though, it won't rake in nearly as much money as having an RNG crate drop system (or purchase with in-game currency rewarded at the end of every game) that ALSO has the option to buy crates with real money. Of course, your game needs to be popular for the microtransaction success in the first place.

All in all, for that to even work, there would need to be a shitload of skins of different rarities. It will be interesting to see where you go with that in a semi-low poly game while also staying away from danger colors.

Then you might as well forget about any kind of morals that you have. You're already stooping to the lowest of the low, so why not go all out? Nothing is too dirty for a Steam user.

if the spells in your game need certain items to perform, then what you could do is include a spell component pouch that costs real money to use

Alright pal. Then I will remember to launch ad-hominems, death threats and promise to never buy anything from a developer if my potato laptop with far below specs than required can't run his game.

I will also make sure to chimp out on the forums and leave negative reviews if I find the slightest bug on a new release, instead of reporting it like a normal person.

Why? Because there is no such thing as an entitled customer.

The problem here is not only you guys aren't devs, you never had a job either.

Working at Walmart, flipping hamburgers or being a waiter would help lots of people here see the reality about "the customer is always right".

Thinking that a group of people that have a single thing in common can be thought of as a "community" is collectivist. And that's pretty dumb.

If a few people decided that they want to do a particular thing, it's their problem. If you were ashamed of some other people that you don't like sharing a trait with you that speaks of nothing but your inflated ego and vanity.

I'm a hardwired kike when it comes to commerce. I was that kid that sold packs of cigs to other kids at three times the price and then stole them back and resold them because people left their jackets with those cigs in the locker room without locking them.

My only, and pretty significant limit in this case is my game's gameplay, which in no way should ever be affected by the monetization. If my game's quality is in the way, I'd sooner stop all microtransactions than modify the game in favor of monetization.

user, please. Morals is something that humans developed because they're social animals.

It's the current year, please read up on philosophy of nihilism and free yourself.

That would affect gameplay, so it's a definite no-go.

There's no such thing as an entitled customer, because sense of entitlement is natural when you pay cash. You expect another person to follow through with their part of the deal.

Chimping out on the forums is a mass phenomenon. Mass phenomena are more often than not simply natural human behavior.

You can't be mad at a monkey for flinging shit.

You're several levels of enlightenment above me, and I simply have no hope of successfully arguing with such a master of the social sciences.

Though, I will just remind you all I said was that being indie dev, without a paid community manager to deflect all their shit, is an extremely ungrateful job.

Unless, of course, you find alluring the idea of working on a game for hundreds of hours, only to have a pack of monkeys flinging shit at you and thinking it's their right because they paid you five fucking bucks.

Then again, what does a collectivist pig like me know? :^)

I need to get this straight, are we talking about actual dnd spell casting and if so which edition, however if it isn't, is it like eternal darkness spell casting? or how about legend of grimrock?

it best not be any of the ones that're coming out which just have the player switch what staff you use or you just push a button and magic happens

One way of thinking of things objectively is removing yourself from the picture.

Clearly you're not able to do that.

We're talking Magicka-type casting, although I'd rather remove myself from the cliche fire+water+otherelements type of thing.

What I'm talking about is run -> click left click -> you can now use the qwerasdf keys to "type out" a 5-character long spell which acts depending on what the modifiers were.

In magicka, for example, QFQFQFAS was one of the deadliest spells. (QF combines into a single compound spell modifier)

If get so triggered by the mere statement of controversial positions as near-certitudes, you really need to lurk more. If you weren't a newfag, it'd be a lubricant to discussion, not an obstruction

I'm understand that, but you're underplaying the consequences. Getting endorsements from channels like Pewdepie definitely causes a big change in the character of an online community, and that definitely does have serious effects on the experience of playing the game

You have to consider who you're shilling to. The very first step in a marketing campaign is defining your target audience

You're dodging the argument. The discussion isn't about the appropriate word, but exploitation and ethics

Legally, patreon, kickstarter, steam greenlight, etc. have no almost no contractual obligations for the developers - they can get away with anything they want. A line does need to be drawn, and everyone does draw it

I'm sure you'd agree that it's wrong for them to take the funds and skip out on delivering anything concrete - ethically wrong, they're legally in the right to - but if I suggest they should be honest and hold true to the relationship with their investors/donators, you start playing moral relativism

nice projection. and it hardly rejects what I said. one audience of tweens sperging out because a dev stopped releasing patches doesn't disprove that the kikery is the far and wide standard for game development on kickstarter, not just 'some'.

I'm not even aware of any kikestarter funded games that were released for free and not sold for more shekels. Though I've heard it's the norm in Japan, at least on sites like Campfire - the game Monken is one example.

Ethics and morals are an elementary school, redundant, metaphysical concept that has no bearing on physical world other than people that choose to follow it.

Morals are relative by definition.

You're smarter than I gave you credit for OP. Want to tell us the details of your game's magic system? Is it like Hexen, a shooter at its core?

Yes, but the common good isn't relative. I've said already I mean fair in the economic and ethical sense, not moral. All it comes down to is if participating in X practice is contributing or hurting the health of the independent videogame industry, and if you care. as stated here

As a dev, you don't have an obligation to care about videogames. But as a dev posting on Holla Forums without getting saged, I think you do

Basically Magicka-inspired cast via typing a character combination + (CS+Quake mechanics)/2 = meld

meld is the development name of the project

I very much enjoy a lot of CS movement+shooting mechanics. I'm probably not going to implement such a harsh penalty for moving while shooting, but I do enjoy that the game makes you really adjust your movement depending on what you're doing.

As for Quake mechanics… So far the game is slower than Quake, and faster than CS. Quake comes into play where you can cast a harmless "push" spell at your feet to propel yourself upward, and similar little tricks. I'm sure you can imagine what else I can do with spells in this context.

Obligation is a metaphysical concept, user. Please apply yourself.

Common good isn't relative, however me somehow having to care about common good is, again, non-sequitur based on what I said before.

o.k so do you fire that spell once it has been cast or can you keep it to fire off later?

So far I've resorted to right click -> cast mode -> left click to fire the spell thats been typed out. You're free to move while your spell is ready to cast.

I'm likely going to implement spells "timing out" so as to prevent people from having a deadly spell on the ready as they're jumping around a corner.

There's no wining this an0n.

No matter what you do, people will shit on you. For some here, anything that parts them with even a single shekel is jewery (ironically, they are blind to their own love for shekels).

Normally, what I'd say is - make the game cheaper than the competition and rely on numbers. If the game is good, it SHOULD sell. But there's no guarantees anything will work.

Yes, he is a true genius.

Your recognition and his pseudo-intellectualism is going to come pretty handy when noone even bothers to download his game and he has to basically beg people to play it by giving starter packs in giveaways and bundles.

It doesn't have to be. I described a social obligation

What, that you're nihilist? Don't shit where you eat. Practicing kikery in a medium you actively enjoy is only going to make things worse for you. You have the chance to help make videogames great again, instead you chose short-term gain.

Sounds like a game I'd play. I'd suggest, you'd have an easier job selling it if you change the theme to scifi or scifi magic rather than fantasy magic.

Also remember map design is the most important element in an arena shooter

well fug I missed my sage

salty amateur dev detected. b-b-but, they're the entitled ones!

user, if you're trying to make money by creating video games, let me inform you right now: that shit doesn't work for 99% of people.

but when in cast mode you can't move right?

could I suggest to you a different method for you to consider instead of the keyboard inputs how about mouse movement?

I say this because I didn't like Magicka and I foresee your game boiling down to whoevers macro is faster will win

Nice saging with a picture, you projecting faggot.

social obligation is a part of social etiquette, which in itself is a set of rules of how to behave in a social environment

rules are metaphysical, user. They don't exist outside our understanding unless they're natural laws.

Practicing kikery in a medium I love would be adding a drop of shit to a heap of compost. There's no going back at this point, and the one difference I have that matters at this point is that I value gameplay above profit.

Explain to me how you recognized my pseudo-intellectualism.

99% of people either try to monetize it too hard or simply don't understand what it takes to make a good game. Almost every single videogame startup that failed that I've personally seen happened because devs fucked up somehow.

Rust is currently dying. Why? Because the devs added an XP system to a PvP-oriented survival game. That's one example out of many.

I'm 100% open to suggestions. I did think of macros being used to exploit the game, but currently input method is not exactly that important while I'm still head-deep in basic coding. Please do tell me your ideas!

o.k so in aquaira, when you're casting a spell it brings up a ring and you have to drag your mouse cursor over to the note you want to play which if you do so in the correct sequence will cast a spell.

what do you think about having something like that as an alternative input method

Make it like D&D so you have to prep spells before you cast.

Not precise enough. It's an FPS. Having to use your mouse look to cast spells would be awkward. Furthermore, locking a person's view to a single direction while they do the mouse casting fuckery would fell very, very unnatural.

I'm open to other ideas, though.

That sounds handy but a little too unintuitive for an arena shooter. I'm going to screenshot your post anyhow, this overall isn't a bad direction

There is the part where you think you are really smart, talking about collectivism, customers are monkeys, le edgy moral discussion.

Then there is the pseudo- part which proves you aren't that smart, where you ignore that FPS and over the shoulder shooters need tons of money and a team of professionals simply for the movement and shooting to feel "right", the part where you better have money or some sick skills to achieve those normalfag-attracting flashy graphics -well optimized so people with potatos can run it, of course!-, the part where you ignore the market for multiplayer shooter is oversaturated and without a heavy marketing campaign people won't even waste five minutes looking at your Steam store page, the part where you are planning, by your descriptions, on making a skill-based game where, if you get, say, 500 players, 10 of them will get good and then bully out of the game the other 490 brainless casuals.

But please, go on. Show how smart and educated you are.

I'd much rather prefer a locked direction then locked movement

user, you're a faggot. Your argument is based on assumptions, conjectures, baseless guesses and bitter expectations.

C'mon, user, please apply yourself.

Perhaps the typing system with inertia-like movement leftover from the direction the player was running in prior to going into casting mode?

I gotta check this out, gimme a moment.

not much better that since it's easily predicable, although if it was just a buffer and kept your momentum in that direct after your cast then maybe?

back. The inertia thing overall has potential, especially considering that I can still direct movement with my mouse when casting.

You're right, you're right. I don't really know what am I talking about, I just wanted to feel like a cool guy on the chans. :'(

You obviously know your shit and are on your way to success. I feel like your game is going to be the CS:GO killer we all dream of. :D

I would wish you luck, but you obviously don't need it. Godspeed, user! ;-)

I'd love to see some webms of it

What kind of moron would buy an online multiplayer game that's coded by just one dude?

No matter what other anons said, I fully support the idea of paid skins, even if they are going to be boxed/random.
Getting an internal economy can only be of profit to you, and personally, I think,that everybody who cares about CS:GO skin trading/prices are retards.
If you are willing to spend tons of money on looking cool - you're dumb, and I you're angry that other people do, despite it not affecting you in the least - you're even dumber.

It looks like shit. I will make webms when I texture it.

And also figure out how to make webms

The same kind of moron that bought hundreds of other games made by just one dude.

That's also my outlook. If people have something of value in the game, its only going to make them play the game more.

I fucking love the idea of gloves, though. Maybe a variety of different card deck skins.

:^) Whoops, I think I just gave away the way the magic is going to look visually.

I love low poly untextured 3d models

mostly because I used to make them alot

That is your mistake right there:
indie online multiplayer only game.
Your game will probably be dead in a couple of months.

Either think already about a F2P release, or a heavily moddable game, but since you want to implement microtransactions, I think you won't do it, so hear it from here: your game will die.

If you want a wide audience, make a good game.

Dealing with an audience is like attracting a cat to your hand. If you approach the cat, it'll run away, but if you stay still and hold out your hand, they'll come to greet you.

Patience, user, patience. I'm very vain when it comes to my work and showing you the game as it is now is embarrassing to me. The animations have extremely limited amount of keyframes, walking sounds are stock, the room that I'm walking around in at the moment uses Minecraft Conquest texture pack ripped tiles

Theres literally no reason why I can't create multiple modes for the game. I'll proceed based on the gut feel as I move along.

I regularly spend time trying to understand what exactly in Minecraft's development cycle triggered the insane boost in popularity.

I remember when the game was 80% adults, and just then started blowing up. I wonder what caused it.

Its at this point I tip my fedora at you, good sir. Clearly you are the ultimate enlightened individualist being. Muslims destroying western society is not a muslim problem. Its a problem in those individual countries only about those individual people.

It's called ORGANIZED religion for a reason, dipshit.

More modes won't solve the problem that your game won't hold up unless you have something to offer the community, do you know how many indie multiplayer games there are on Steam right now with literally 0 players ?
This is a overcrowded market, you got a good idea right there, but you got to learn about others mistakes.
Even if you sell some copies for the first couple of months, your game will probably die and will be one of those "always on sale" / "always bundled" game unless you offer something unique enough to create a small niche community.
Try to search about the guys who made a game called "GunMonkeys" or something like that, I think they wrote an interesting blog post about their failure.

I'm aiming for a high skill ceiling and good meta, hopefully team deathmatch would be fun, as well.

try harder, faggot

What is with aspiring game devs and avatarfagging with crops of hirame sluts?

I know that hirame draws the best sex faces but this can't be incidental.

I just so happen to have hundreds of hirame reaction gifs and I like the look of them

I'd recommend you do it somewhat like League of Legends.
Not as in lock spells or champions behind transactions.
You can buy individual skins or buy a mystery box (which is cheaper) to unlock stuff.
Also, cosmetics should be unlockable with in-game currency, just hard as fuck to do.

I want to do it like CS:GO does it.

Have a completely untouched gameplay, and then on the side you have literal slot machines, skin "booster pack"-type crates, and an incredible trading scene which all absorb richie rich kids along with their cash.

That you will have, my friend. ;DDD

Why would I try harder when I just came here to laugh at another "enlightened" individualist who thinks nothing outside himself exists?

uh, yeah, i know

I never said that.

I mean, I don't want to be the guy who tells you how to do his job, but you sound more interested in the money than the game, fam.
The only reason CS:GO managed to really get that much cash is thanks to the pro scene using those skins and the fanboys buying it up 2 b mor kool.
Just because a game has good trading and all that doesn't mean it'll blow up if nobody plays it, and cosmetics turn quite a few people off.
Seriously, the best advice anyone can give you is to just make a good game. If you really want to cash in, you can add stuff later.

As I said before, money is a valuable afterthought. Getting money is simply a means to live while developing the game.

See

so where did I say it?

Holy shit the tipping

Terraria has had the best business model ever

This is all because the guy made a game that he would want to play and never tried to compromise or sell out. This is how you make a good game.

If you're going to be full jewish anyway set it up like a period correct casino off the side of the game to contain the degenerate gamblers.

To think there are faggots that actually believes this shit. (not you an0n, your head seems screwed on straight)

Wouldn't "X is destroying everything, it is cancer" be an opinion, not a fact?

you took the bait user
autism avatarfags
especially cropped avatarfags
seriously nigger

i'm disappointed in you.

Just do cosmetics as you've suggested in the first place. They don't affect the gameplay and there is no reason for anybody to feel forced to get them. Maybe make an occassional event where the winner will get a few of them, to utilize them as a possible prize. As long as every gameplay option is available without buying such shit, and as long as none of that shit gives the owner an advantage over the non-owners, you are not a jew

Do whatever you need to OP. Cosmetics are a good way of keeping a balanced game generating income for you. A lot of these replies are telling you to make a good game and don't realize money is a resource used to make a game better. If you are working in your spare time, you can devote more time. If you need help you can recruit new blood for your project. Even after the game is released, you can add new content with revenue you get.

I'm with your girlfriend on this one. I HATE microtransactions with a passion, and even cosmetic items count as microtransactions in my book. Unless your game got a package that included ALL content, including cosmetics in one purchase, it'd never get my business. I won't even play FREE games with that stuff, it's the rule I apply to all games. Sell me all the content at once or no deal, end of story. That's how games used to work, and that's how they should keep working. Now that's not to say that the existence of microtransactions at all is unacceptable, just that they should be an option for obtaining the game and its content. As long as the all-in-one option exists too, I'm fine.

Otherwise though, I like the idea of a magic-based shooter, I'm sick of it always being guns. And I'm sick of the standard shooter setup of one button firing what you currently have equipped, and other buttons switching what's in your hands. I want a shooter with multiple "fire" buttons keyed to different attacks. With magic instead of guns, that would be easily justified.

However, sounds like you're trying to do something like Magika and honestly, that never clicked with me. It was fun at first, but eventually I got tired of having to enter a long input for every. single. spell. It needed more one-button actions and less frequent use of the spell casting.

I'm considering limiting the amount of cards a person has in a deck, and having to buy cards each round with money/gold earned.

Nothing stops me from allowing quickcast for simpler use of cards, either, say, a single symbol could mean a firing mode.

I'm gonna balance it in the future, but overall, having options to launch a card like a railgun, throw a bunch at once like a shotgun, or rapidly toss them like an assault rifle sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to add beautiful animations to the game.

The hard part is that arena shooters already have low populations each, even those of which are completely free. See Red Eclipse, Xonotic, Warsow, etc. Those are your competitors, in addition to Quake and UT which are established brand names that are the usual paid games.

But do these games have intricate first person animations and male/female characters with boob size customizations and crotch bulge size customizations for both genders?

I mean, I don't have it right now either, but… It's on the list of things I would strongly consider implementing once the core is done.

shit I hope nobody on here knows me by that namefag handle

No. They're arena shooters so generally people force every enemy player to have a specific model and color for best visibility. Gameplay is a top priority for the genre and those come across as extras that don't make a huge difference, if not completely ignored in favor of best visibility.

it's too late, you're now lewd

also have you given a thought as to
the kinda magics you're going to put into the game?

I'd like to see more then just your standard lighting bolts and magic missiles and would love to see shit like cult magics, blood magic, necromancy and the like but what would really sell me would be if these magics also had their own mechanics for not only just casting but absolutely everything else

Ideally they would be what you described. However, it depends on how these magics work out gameplay-wise.

Raw mechanics is what makes the game play good, however as much as visuals are nothing but eye-candy, customization allows the player to feel as though he "owns" his character and as such it encourages him to play his character smarter. It's most apparent with CS:GO skins.

Feeling of ownership encourages a person to put more effort into mastery of the skill.

I know how arena shooters work. I played them as early as I could hold the mouse. Getting those to feel right is not going to be as difficult to me as the graphical design, hence why I discuss that part much more than the gameplay.

shit

on top of that are you going to put summons and assist npcs in?

so you could have geomancers create golems and depending on what it's made out of is how durable and strong it is, you could also then so that you make the maps with certain kinda minerals around

it honestly depends on the way you want to go with it, I personally think you should make it kinda like planetside in how character progression is like making sure to give the player as much options as he likes without just giving the player bloody everything under the sun

so like have every magics tree have equivalent spells but going into one means it's harder to go into another one

also if you're going to have elderich magics will you put divine magic in which would mean paladins and clerics would be in

sorry another thing, that's actually more on topic thinking about it, you should have it so that whatever magic your character is attuned to visually changes the looks of it, this means you have more then just gloves to make money off of

I'm not sure I want to go that way. One time I heard someone say about CS: "It's a game where your character doesn't get better - you get better".

It stuck with me as an example of what an FPS should strive to be.

I have a giant boner for Eldritch mythos, and I also happen to have a giant boner for Christianity and it's lore.

I didn't plan on adding those themes specifically, but who knows?

It all depends on how gameplay shapes the lore. If it makes sense to have two opposite kinds of magic, I'll definitely go with what you described, though.

Visual cues are very important, and as such - color is, as well.

I only want to make things that you can notice on close inspection customizable; A character should look uniform with the rest, to keep the game mechanics consistent.

well in cs go there's a set small weapons list which set states and such but if you're going to go utterly insane with the amount of kinds and types of magics with different game mechanics then giving a new player, especially a casual gamer, all that is going to over whelm them which could put them off it

it kinda makes sense since divine magic is changed from your god and that's also what eldritch/cultist magics are too

outfits are one thing but I'm talking more what's under that, so if you're a pyromancer you could have it so that the players hair is fire and that their veins are glowing or maybe even bright lights shining out of their eyes

that kinda stuff really so then you could sell different coloured fires which could effect the colour of spells or you could sell that separate

I mean channeled

Simplicity is key. Having small variations of base mechanics for different schools of magic would play out pretty well, I imagine.

Rephrase this sentence, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

This is so hopelessly tasteless I'm simply glad I know better than to do that.

As I said, simplicity is key. Give the player enough freedom to create a unique loadout/character, but not enough for them to be able to make their character into a tasteless mess.

Thanks for the clarification.

Eldritch magics at their core follow a theme of "trading your sanity and physical form for ability to exceed limits of magic"

The best point of juxtaposition to divine magic in this case is the fact that your physical form is created in the image of God. Alteration of that could be perceived as mockery.

i hate tripfags as much as the next guy but the op really could've used a tripcode here

how do we know any of these answers are from the developer

I don't know, maybe fucking ID could really help you there, newfriend

I disagree because then there would be little point in doing anything other then the meta since there would be no real difference to different magics

so what? they paid you extra money to look tasteless to you, all I'm saying is don't ignore simple opportunities like that, however how tasteless that kinda thing could be is all down to how well you're good at the art side of all this

eh I would say that it's core is worship of a certain god(s) and that most of the time all you're really doing is praying, sacrificing shit and erecting shrines to them

everything you get from doing that is just a reward, beneficial or not

oh you're a skin walker, fuck off

To the Great Old Ones you're nothing but a speck of shit on their boot. They do not care about worship, not from what I've read, anyhow.

This is my game, making it tasteless insults my abilities. In Art, simplicity is key to making things click. Too much of this, too much of that, and you're fucked. Despite what Holla Forums would have you believe, normalfags DO have taste in Art. It's not as snooty as mine, or other Holla Forumsirgins taste is, but it's still there.

Making a Clash of Clans tier trashy garbage is something I'm never going to do. Ever. Like, ever.

that depends on the god really, I remember in call of Cthulhu the innsmouth got gold in return for worship, I forget if it was dagon or hydra though

so make things which different people like decently, again it just depends on your abilities but here's another point though if you're not going to have anything solid to determine what magic a player is using then casuals may have a harder time getting into your game, it sounds silly but think of it like this, try playing csgo without being able to see what weapon anyone is carrying, do you think that would make the game harder?

You can hear the weapon, and see the bullet traces.

In truth, I rarely ever get close to a person in CS:GO, I'm an AWPer. As such, I always had to tell what weapon a person is carrying by sound.

I pride myself on my sound editing skills. I can make the schools of magic sound distinct.

sound is important sure but it can only get you so far we're talking casuals here you're going to need visuals and besides it could also effect how a player feels about your game too if the spells don't feel good to cast and they're not feeling their character being a powerful wizard then that would effect over all enjoyment they're having

the whole reason why anyone picks a bloody wizard or warlock or sorcerer is all so that they can live out a power fantasy, I'm not trying to force my ideas in your game via any method I can think of, I'm trying to get you to think about everything so that you can hopefully make a good game that I could enjoy

CS:GO is arguably a non-casual game, and yet it has a ridiculously large following. I do think of as much as I can, but alas, I've yet to see a large successful game that looks like shit in favor of benefitting casuals.

A noob only remains a noob for so long. Things that were of help prior, become a hindrance over time. You have to understand that.

you're not getting my point at all you dense fucker, if you don't want any kinda help with your game then why even bother posting?

look, splatoon has character customization up the ass with alot of things that clash together but over all the game doesn't look bad and the player knows what he's up against because he can visually see the information he needs to know due to the fact that the weapons are visually distinct enough so the player can go "yup that weapon has these abilities, I know what to look out for now"

in this example what you just said is fucking wrong and you're just being stubborn over this for gods know what since in actual the simpler you can convey information to your player, the easier he's going to have mastering it and what the player knows as he goes along isn't suddenly going to be a hindrance for him, what kinda stupid shit thinks that? "fuck I'm too good at the game now I don't need to know what capabilities the other players have that shit is just a clutch brah yolo"

it just seems to me that you want to make a csgo clone but with magics and if that's really the case then good luck competing against csgo you'll fucking need it

I'm not denying help, I'm taking in your points, thinking them over one by one and taking them into consideration.

I was trying to be polite and gentle with your fragile autism and horrible taste, but I'm going to have to break it to you - you don't seem to understand the very basics of game design.

I'm not making a CS:GO clone, I'm taking notes from it, and hoping to adapt certain mechanics that I like a lot from it into my own game. Never once did I say I was going to make a clone.

I was cringing when I writing my replies, and yet I tried to remain civil. Thanks for letting me vent the feelings of genuine embarrassment I had for you in a form of anger.

fuck off to reddit where they'll suck your dick you utter hack

Do us all a favor and kill yourself, my man.

You should definitely go along with this idea. I would love to see you waste thousands of hours on this project. The fact that you're using CS:GO skins as an inspiration is fucking laughable when skins are what destroyed that community in the first place. You seriously think you can make a popular online game just by yourself? And adding skins to the game on top of that? If your game actually does come out, people are going to remember this thread and nobody's going to buy your game. You've already destroyed your audience before you've even released the game you greedy kike. Your game doesn't even sound like it would be good for youtube bait, so you're not even selling out properly. Try having some balls as an independent developer, shitstains like you make us look bad.

Also, why are there so many faggots avatarfagging with Hirame's artwork lately? Are they just the go-to autist reaction images now?

skins is what made this game popular, retard

I'm part of a streaming group that does something every night, Friday nights being our community game night.

When you're ready to do a beta release, we can help spread the word because this sounds like a game that'd be up our alley. We did an arena shooter a few weeks ago that had just bows and it was fun as fuck. What else can be expected from this game?

Shooter, meant shooter. But arena fighters are fun as fuck though.

killed the community =/= game is not popular

It's summer. These are faggots that have been stewing amongst normalfags. They have forgotten how to ride.

>>>/reddit/
>>>/4chan/
>>>/out/

Yes, but it will be slowed down overall to slow down the pace. Those that want to hop around at the speed of light will have an ability to "rocketboost" using repulsion spells casted at their feet and behind them.

Uh, I answered your second question before I read it. I guess we do think alike.

You can contact me on here: [email protected]/* */

I'll be sure to hit you up when the beta release is available.

Apart from the most crucial things, here are the objectives I'm going to try to complete once the core game is done (They're not in any order of importance, or difficulty of implementation. I've been fighting a broken rig for hours today, so I'm too fried to proofread and edit shit):

Hopefully customizable characters for every player, and hopefully (if Steam guidelines allow this, as I'm very, very skeptical about it) fanservice such as lewd character variants and superlewd customization. I touched on this a little above.

Realistic (and I mean actually realistic) death, injury and dismemberment animations

Sprays (I'm pissed that I can't spray lewd shit on walls in CS:GO)

Bhop-enabling spell (it's an idea I had today, wouldn't at all be hard to implement and I see this as a possible legitimate playstyle)

I'm still mad about Yandere Sim. It's clearly just a YouTube bait game for memesters, how can you not fucking see that?

shut up you worthless woe is me fag

my theory is that all those autistic losers from high school/community college are 20-25 now and finally got jobs paying a few dollars more than minimum wage so they think they can buy a personality by giving $5/month to their favorite twitch/youtube/agdg retard that spouts the same memes as them

i'd capitalize on it but i'm doing cool shit now and past the phase of my life where i have to pander to autists on the internet for money thank fucking god

has there been zero talk so far of what engine this game is on?

No please stop no don't start it no I don't wanna talk about it no stop I'm sure you can guess. If its any consolation, I'm writing my own code for 99% of the game

user, come on now.

if you say unity or ue4 there's nothing to fear

if you say anything else i'm probably going to judge you a little bit

if you say gamemaker i'm reporting this thread

Unity

if you want to make a living youll have to be willing to stab anons in the back

Yes. So?

Not so much. It's not like I'd be forcing any of you to pay for shit, other than the initial game.

>You can contact me on here: [email protected]/* */

Нууебать совсем. Что ж тогда вас тут здесь расплодилось тут, а в РУГЕЙМЕРОЖУРНАЛИЗМЕ совсем про вас не слышно?

Но серьёзно, в лучшем случае вангую что ваш клон КС с долькой Маджики будет совсем немного популярнее какой-нибудь херни типа Хонотика, да и то не знаю. Переть донаты и кэшшопы в такую сцену - это мечта идеалиста и ежедневного игрока Path of Exile.

I'm using Yandex because at a particular point in time they had dank unlimited file storage on the cloud.

Please do stick with English, not everyone is blessed with understanding Russian memespeak.

I mean, I do speak it, but I don't really like it.

Hey, it could be Chinese, that'd suck more.

I was going to say that its a very difficult language and it would pay to know it well, but then I realized just how many fucking people speak it.

Yeah, you're right.

中文不太难的文化。只有非常多的汉字。

日文吸很大鸡巴。

go back to the pile of garbage you came from

But user, I'm already in the pile of garbage that spawned me.

Оп - хуй, сделай бочку итд
Just what kind of art direction are you going for? I want to know how good your lewds are gonna be.

So don't let players trade skins dumbass. Look at Path of Exile, free game, microtransactions can only get you skins for your gear, and its locked to your account once you've bought it. The game has the most amazing economy of any game, entirely built around in game consumables.

Allowing a player to make a futa character by increasing crotch bulge on a female.

Age will be a slider

Slutty outfits

Slutty voicelines (this one is going to be hard, non-landwhale voice actresses are hard to find)

I'll be "leaking" the models at some point for the obvious purpose of other rigging SFM porn

I'm pretty much into every single perversion out there - loli, shota, futa, guro, femdom, rape, incest etc.

The limit is how far I can implement these things without absolutely destroying my game's aesthetic and turning it into memeporn: the game, and not chasing off the normalfags, which make up what, 90% of the possible audience?

Eh, CS:GO allows people to trade skins. I've gotten tons of expensive ones while pretending to be a girl. There's really nothing wrong with that.