There are plenty of shitty low-quality free to play MMOs out there...

There are plenty of shitty low-quality free to play MMOs out there, but I wonder if there is at least single one of them that isn't riddled with horrendous restrictions, gatings and all that terrible stuff.
I mean isn't the point of open world MMO to give the illusion of freedom? But those that I played are anything BUT freedom.

There are my gripes with what would you call them "premium" MMOs, those sporting supposedly highest production values on the market.

Not ideal but it was my first MMO and it wasn't all that restrictive. I understand that class lock is a staple, and it's hard to expect it gone so soon, but still I look forward to games abandoning this archaic idea.

First impression was really good, but dear god this shit is pay to not get fucked in the ass. It is terrible.

I already whined about it in dedicated thread, no point in doing it again. In exchange for no class lock game restricts you everything. It's very annoying and depressing.

Despite Holla Forums's excessive shitting on it, it turned out to be the least restrictive of them all. Except for the class lock, that made me drop it after I leveled to 50. Because starting from scratch looks like a waste of time, and there isn't anything to do other than PvP and grind for better gear for PvP at the end game.
But the road to that end game was pretty damn enjoyable. I wouldn't mind leveling a couple of other classes, but it would mean that all my amassed non-combat spoils would be nulled.

So now's the question - what Massive Multiplayer Online game ever gave you the most freedom over your progression and play style, and rarely or never told you to go fuck yourself for some reason or another?

No game compares to UO.

Thst looks horrible

kys

anarchy online or age of wushu

You look horrible.

I don't understand how people think FF14 looks good. a lot of the assets look really overdesigned while siting right next to things that look like they were ripped straight from EQ2. not to mention it's just a copy of 11 without any of the finesse and with a worse color pallet.

I also should mention that I played a bit of Wakfu.
I liked it for what it was, but lost interest really fast. World felt too empty and combat too boring to keep going.

I understand the nostalgia and the first feeling of wanderlust when embarking on a journey into virtual world, but does it holds up today?

A lot of people are saying how great Ragnarok online was, but when I tried to play it I was met by horrendous UI, control scheme, super wonky and clunky, unsatisfying combat and overall lack of modern day commodities.
Of course it doesn't mean that the game is bad, but having comfortable interface and satisfying combat spoils person, and it's almost impossible to go back to more primitive games, despite their excellent worlds or immersion values.

No? If anything that spritework is really nice to look at.
How does the game play is another question entirely.

Are they still running? Or there are private servers? Can you go a bit in depth about either of them? What makes them to stand out? Are there any drawbacks, that you might acknowledge, but still enjoy games regardless?

Coherent artsyle makes it pleasant to look at regardless of dated graphics and not very good animations. Never I felt that something is out of place or doesn't fit. Everything look organic and, how should I put, proper together.
It might be not visually impressive game, but it is pleasing one.

To contrast - Black Desert has some really high tech behind its visuals, but the lack of artistic proficiency behind led me to occasional wandering what the fuck were they thinking with this, how in the world there is that. Game severely lacks stylistic consistency.

Guild Wars:

It was a game that was absolutely amazing to play. It wasn't F2P, but after you payed for the game, there wasn't a horde of micro-transactions. The closest to that would be that the game had a shop where you could buy things like costumes or extra character slots. Later they allowed you to use your characters as NPC allies for your other characters in that same regard.

It's a good thing that all of the developers who made the game didn't leave ArenaNet, causing a massive influx of local west-coast SJWs to infiltrate the company and produce a terrible sequel full of leftist propaganda, terrible writing, and shit which destroyed the lore, resulting in a decline for the game as the original user-base was split, and all incoming new players began moving to the sequel, never having a chance to experience how great the original was.

Yeah, that would be a terrible fucking shame if that happened.

Call me when there's an MMO that does away with all conventional systems like grinding levels in favor of actually fun shit.

>No "Class Lock" unless you build your character for a certain kind of martial arts / stat / weapon over time. Some still good despite this, as a backup Everyone has Buddha Palm Revolvers in pocket..

And that's just the struggle for basic shit. Let's not get into the intricacies of guild wars, making taels, and lastly - combat flow.

I don't regret my time with it and it made me a far more tolerant person of PvP, but god damn the pay to win gap is massive when the game ages

UO

an hero

I tried nearly every mmo out there including capping multiple characters on ffxiv wow tera ff11 and shit like archeage

There is no reason to play any mmo besides wow if you want a polished experience with detail placed in the world and relative freedom barring retarded shit(y cant tauren be warlocks ect)

Wow bends over backwards to give players choice on how they progress in the game, much to the games downfall, aka the casualization. You can also make enough gold to skip the sub fee entirely and not have to worry about getting screwed by f2p aspects.

The only mmo id recommend besides it is ff11, where any race can be any class with any profession and you can choose any subjobs you want to get any abilities, but endgame is near dead and with restrictive party setups.

But your pretty new mmo games have more primitive gameplay than the older ones. Your comment makes no sense.

As an MMO, Wakfu is inferior to Dofus in everything but technical aspects. However, it's pay to play, and grinding is slow as fuck, perhaps one of the grindiest MMO out there.

Sad thing is Wakfu was very promising while it was a beta, but then they had to casualize the fuck out of it because the player base didn't want to play along. Now it's just a shell of its former self, and it looks like a really small and dull themepark with pointless class changes every month or so. They entirely stopped giving a fuck about the game after it became F2P since it doesn't give them enough money to bother expanding it.

I still remember when players had to produce their own coins. Good times.

ff11 really fell down a long way didn't it?

there was a (very broken) private server of FF11 here about half a year back, but it died due to lack of interest from the mods and because a couple of "old age" experts rushed all the content and left new players in the dust, i really miss it.

Recently started playing Wildstar, pretty fun game.

Community is very surprising and pretty mature, which is odd because I thought that the graphics and artstyle would attract kids. Combat is pretty "hands-on" so to speak, because you have to actually aim instead of clicking on someone and pressing ability buttons like a lot of other MMOs. There is a bit of grind for buying stuff for the housing aspect of the game and XP boosters, but no P2W.

isn't that the P2P game that went free in less than half a year?

anarchy online is still going on its original server, but there's massive hyperinflation so it's difficult for a new player to get going.
AO is a scifi sandbox mmo particularly notable for its twinking. You can twink harder in this game than in any other game. You can only pvp against characters in your level range, and items in this game generally have attribute requirements (but no level requirements), leading to MASSIVE amounts of twinking, and it can get pretty complicated. In most MMOs, gear is important, but here, gear is everything. A twinked level 25 can pk a typically geared lvl 60 without dropping below 90% health. There are various other interesting features, like competition between factions for world territory, and orgs (ingame guilds) can own cities. There are no garbage quest circuits you have to grind to level, you can afk while leveling very quickly with the right setup.

Age of wushu is a p2w chinese mmo with very interesting mechanics. It is EXTREMELY pay to win, but it's still the best game I've ever played. The mechanics in this game are beyond esoteric, and there's almost no information about the game online, so you have to learn just about everything ingame, preferably from a mentor. I had to break out a notebook and pen to plot out npc coordinates for one repeatable quest to farm a particular set, because there was no information on it anywhere. When I was done, I was the only person on the server who used this particular set. The game is one of the best political simulators I've ever seen, I've never found another game that lets you manufacture political incidents between guilds and use them as a pretext to try to arrange an ingame marriage between your guild and theirs. Leveling happens automatically (it's similar to eve), and the game is entirely pvp based. Guilds and alliances are drawn along racial lines, with the american vietnamese controlling most servers. I last played around a year ago, and I still think about this game every day.

Ff11 is ok but a shadow of what it was, i started playing it again a few months ago and got a few jobs to the new cap. Its ok, not what it was, no sembalance of teamwork or cooperation and you just teleport everywhere now.

The private server sounds like it couldve been comfy, thats a shame.

I don't know, but the game is fun and I really don't care about the game's past.

Age of Wushu relies on the players to continually pay money in order to be truly successful. It's a cancer that completely strips away player skill.

Contrast Guild Wars. No, you can't wander into a random player and start a fight. However, the actual PvP system is the most complex of any game:
There used to be Hero Battles and Team Arenas as well, though those were eventually removed. The point is, though, PvP was a heavy focus in the game.

Come to think of it, in many ways, Guild Wars is the exact opposite of Age of Wushu. Instances versus open, the way PvP is handled, the general speed of advancement, the focus on microtransactions. It's kind of an amusing comparison.

p2w isn't all that bad tbh
It doesn't make sense for buy to play mmos to market themselves to hardcore players. Most of their playerbase is going to be casual, so most of their revenue comes from casual players (since everyone pays approximately the same amount), thus determining their development direction.

However, if a game is p2w, then most of the game's revenue will come from hardcore players, and you can get a game with really neckbearded, esoteric mechanics, good itemization, open world pvp, few restrictions on gameplay, and so on.

this is your brain on Holla Forums

the truth is the server died for real when somebody found out that you could break the Lv75 cap and break all subsequent caps all the way to 95, even though all the content of the Wings of the goddess expansion was broken as shit.

Mithrabutts, why did you forsake us? ;_;

TOR still

I miss it every day.

define truly successful. You don't have to pay a lot if you're dedicated and smart about character development.
I had a strong toon with VIP and $30 I blew on making my FMS permanent (which wouldn't be necessary if I was more dedicated), I could pk almost everyone on the server.

I don't like guildwars. it's fair, but there's little room for character progression.

Sums it up nicely.

It's impressive, yet horrifying.

Age of Wushu was kept running by Saudi Oil Princes and people who paid to win for their guilds, so yeah. Its the truth.

I wish I died with it.

It was pretty much The Sims with a SW skin

You know what I meant.

I tried Dofus too and didn't see any immediate differences apart from bigger class selection and somewhat worse graphics. Even if it's much better in later game, I don't think I have patience for turn-based MMO.

Is it even possible to play FF11 today?
The more I look it up the more it looks like better version of FF14.

Kids like realistic stuff, while manchildren like anime and cartoons. Mature people don't play video games :^)
Either way I don't really dig "space wow" aesthetic going for it.
How is visual character customization?
I remember some boobs sliders controversy, can make girls with huge boobs in it? Or it was cut?

Googled up both of them.
One look more intimidating than the other, and your post doesn't really help.
Age of wushu looks cool, but I don't think I want to dive into such deep ocean just to be able to fight random people online that I will never meet irl. With p2w on top of that, it's rather nah than yeah.

That's Archeage levels of cuckery. Just no.

I keep hearing about it. How was the combat? Was your standard fare of stats-based dice rolls, or something more interesting.

Does it still run?

why do you think that most sandboxes are f2p p2w, and almost all themepark mmos are buy2play?
different business models for different people

I missed out on the whole raids and guild shit because I was too busy being an autist with Runescape.
Is there something that has that PvE class based gameplay but is more instanced? I despise the slow starts in every MM and I've never been able to play more than 30 minutes of any.

It was shit.
The game was never about combat. It was about living and breathing in a player built Star Wars universe.

Combat was the same as Evershit

You can have decent tuts and create your waifu how you like, she can be fat or anorexic, however you want. The "space wow" asthetic is only in menus and in menus.
I made myself a cute slim catgirl.

Something about that seems very… off. Like the world and the sprites are drawn like they're two separate angles of viewership.

mabinogi

there are no class and every char can learn all but a very few race specific skills,not to mention a n amazing storyline and shit.biggest issue is it being a koren mmo with all the grind that implies,thought the grind for combat skills is okay be prepared to get fucked in the ass for life skills.
also making your own music and playing it ingame is comfy as fuck especially when you're ina town and everyone starts playing their collected music.
been playing it on and off for 7-8 years now too,it's truly the only game that i come back to time after time after time.
but it's dying and slowly losing players due to the jew that is nexon and it saddens me.

god I'm retarded, I wanted to type "in menus and in cutscenes."

Paying money to make your character more powerful isn't hardcore. Hardcore is devoting yourself to the game and its skills. It's being ready at every update to see how the skills were changed, and putting together the perfect new skill combination. It's gathering a group of players together and working out ways to chain your skills and most effectively clear out a PvE or PvP environment. It's using the "viewing" option to watch how another guild handles their GvG fights for months in advance to figure out their tactics and most effectively counter them in a fight. It's setting records for the time required to clear out an elite dungeon, clearing out an area that takes most players hours in only eleven minutes.

Now that's not say that I would consider myself a hardcore player. I don't have enough of an attention span to do most of that, and I prefer PvE gameplay over PvP anyways. But those are the things that were required by people who played the tournament level PvP, or wanted to master the PvE areas of the game. The community was amazing, because you could always find a group who was looking to do something similar.

Character progression is limited to some degree, yes. However, unless you've gone through and unlocked every skill to put together different combos, you haven't pressed the limit of what you can do. And in any event, the focus isn't on your character. It's on you, as a player. How good are you? Can you outplay another guy in a PvP battle? Can you put together a good strategy for an elite mission?

Paying money to make your own character is absolutely ridiculous. You shouldn't be able to use in-game items to make your character the most powerful on a server. The only thing that should be dictating your power is your own skill. More importantly, everything has a counter. You may be the most skilled in this niche, but there will always be a player who has the counter for you. It's a massive game of rock-paper-scissors.

Guild Wars is still running. I'm hesitant to recommend it because you have to pay for it, and that money goes to ArenaNet, which is now a shitty SJW infested company. I suppose if you can find an account from another player, that would be another thing entirely.

The player base is mostly gone now, which makes the higher-level areas virtually impossible to complete. And I doubt any guilds are still recruiting. But there might be a couple of them still roaming around.

You should be shot, but also exploration in that game was pretty neato.

Did they ever fix the servers being literally unplayable? I remember the game went free to play and they didnt bother even getting good servers because they were cheap jews and the game just died again since no one could even play it. From what i've seen the devs are pretty incompetent.

The point of most games unfortunstely is to benefit the ones proviving them. Not for the games to be in excess of them.

Beautiful and free by the landscape always fighting.
A never ending, always changing, generated world.

It would be enjoyed. Best things are without demand.

Find something somewhere or away from yourself and it fresh, for you.

Prople could be matched to meet and team up if they want by what kind of land they pursue. The direction they go.

Invasion on a generated world would be infection. Choosing so a betrayal.

MMOs could be ok by more players on one world, closer together the prettier the generated world. So all move as an Army and wipe out in their way or battle invaders/occupiers, anything that isn't them. Find the end of the Earth. Somewhere new away from what theybare used to and bored of.

If/When game declines in popularity the Army on a fleet of ships finds the end of the world and sails off it into the stars.

That event entertaining enough start on one where they are sailing into fantastical dreamscapes of weirdness raised, tested andbmaybe corrupted by discoveries, building worlds to suit the tone. Their doom, most killed and only allowed to spectate. Last one goes through a finalbtrial and the rest spawn somewhere to the last one's taste or to some server aided utopia within. The rest not wanting to move on. Last one passing the test allowing entry that they'd go on.

The combat was pretty bad but the content was an ocean's depth. The problem with that new Swgemu shit is that most of the content is missing, so all you can do is combat, which was the worst part of Galaxies.

I liked Neverwinter, its like a Single Player co-op game almost.

People say its P2W with lockboxes, but most of them just have stupid mounts you don't even care about anyway. And you are playing an MMO, the whole point is grinding shit and dungeons for gear. If you paid to win, then you finished the game and would stop playing.

Actually, they should be about the same right now.

Much worse graphics. Dofus is shit in technical aspects compared to Wakfu. It runs on fucking Flash, after all.

Yes, Dofus is absolute horseshit until you reach level 120. If you don't have friends to powerlevel you, that could take between three months and half a year, depending on your class and your resources. Reaching max level can take one or two years playing regularly, and that's if you are in a guild that accepts to take you with them to level in the best dungeons.

Some people claim to be able to reach max level with their characters in one day, but that can only happen if they already have a lot of resources (read: several already max level accounts and lots of ingame currency to spend), it's a double exp weekend and they were already saving up experience multiplier items. They also probably take shits in a sock or something.

Doesn't help that newest updates have utterly ruined the little build flexibility it had.

I stumble upon Neverwinter's gamepedia a couple hours ago, looking up fantasy mounts.

What's the gameplay of Neverwinter like? Is it grind heavy? Any element of skill to combat or is it just tab-target?

I haven't had any issues, I play on NA servers from EU.

from what i understand, back in the day (when the level was capped to 75) you could do pretty much anything with almost ANY party setup if the players were experienced.

some of the history bosses had level caps, meaning that you would get leveled down to the cap if you were above it, it was all up to the experience (actual experience, not number experience) of your party.

nowadays you can get powerleveled to 99 in about 2 hours, there's cheap iLvl117 equipment in an NPC, making pretty much all other gear in the game that isn't ilvl absolutely worthless and all content a joke except for the last 2 expansions, Adoulin and Rhapsodies.

also, the endgame content all need fixed party setups to win, there's 7-8 jobs (out of the 22 available) that are actually used for endgame, the rest are all useless. to be honest, when iwas a kid i wanted to play it really bad, when i went in as an adult in 2016, it wasn't the game i remember begging my mom to buy me a sub for anymore.

Has anyone played those freetard MMOs like Planeshift and/or Ryzom? How were they?

Rip.
I guess I'll never experience it the

What are you saying, it still runs somehow? Google and wikipedia say that game was closed earlier this year.

You should put that under trigger warning.
I'm sorry I'm not touching anything with that mechanic ever again. Now it reminds me that Tera also had them, guess one of the main reasons I dropped it.
Fuck this mechanics and anyone who puts it into their games.

THe servers on pc are still up and get monthly updates. You can dl and play right now but it will take a few days to dl. There are frequnt free weekends and exp bonus events as well as login events. Game is still comfy. Some servers arr more populated than others.

the PS2/Xbox360 server was closed.

but the windows servers are still alive.

It uses a centre target on the screen, so whatever is in the centre target is your current target.

Abilities are similar to GW1 slottable, but very limited choice until very late game so you cant bork your class. Also a "Super Meter" for using your big attack/ability.

The game pretty much is a straight WoW style questing, fully voiced questgivers, Racial/Class specific quests. At max level, its turns into a massive grindfest solo for some sort of currency for gear/upgrades, or doing dungeons repeatedly for the same thing, until the next content patch.

By the numbers pretty much, but pretty impressive polish. With seasonal events, bonus events on the hour for certain activities.

I'm retarded, I'm sorry.
I guess I'll give it a go.

If you want good freedom, just play a private Ragnarok Onliine server were the admins aren't full Jewish. You won't be forced by story questlines because for the game you're just an adventurer who is living in ragnarok's world, the story went along with the patches and were used as excuses to explain additional content. SAo if you want there are probably places where you can read it.
To avoid inmense grind I would recomend playing on a 10x/10x/9x and up. it's not even difficult to level a few classes and try them out. heck even you could try a 1000x/1000x/10x server if you just want to try how the game works and explore like an autist. I think 8ch plays on a server, even if it's lower, you could get some help.
Also I recomend to play on a Pre-Renewal server, renewal was a massive rework of the games mechanics (stats were the most reworked) to accomodate it for the 3rd Job Classes, it was a shitty update because it made several character builds totally unusable, fucking up lots of players They probably even gave free resets to players but I don't fully know the story. 2nd Jobs were better executed, even if that meant extra grinding for everyone.

Also about FF14:
The game restricts everything by level, so only when you get max level the fun begins, it's bad, but it's not as bad if you like the story.

don't go to Phoenix, its fucking dead.

from what i recall, the server with the most population is Asura, also, don't expect some ebin fun journey with your friends to level up and shit, that age of the game is long dead.

This is always a big sell to me now. I feel casual for it but I just can't read all the quest info because I get bored of it 1hr in, especially if it's always head to Field-A and kill Monster Type-B.

I might give it a go if I get bored and want to waste 3 or 4 dozen hours.

As someone that played FFXI when it was first released on ps2 I can tell you that there has always been specific classes you had to play for a lot of the content. People would not invite you if you were something odd.

What was great about the game was that you HAD to have a party to do anything if you weren't specifically playing a solo job. At level 10 you went to the Valkurm Dunes and begged for some party leader fag to get you in and then grinded on monster for hours, but every fight was difficult and you would die if you fucked up at all. You were forced to interact with people and made a lot of friends just looking for parties to advance in. It was an entirely social experience.

Now you just go do quests like in WoW and they give you free experience (which they never used to give exp) and you get to max level in a couple days. The entire charm of the game is dead.

I played on a free weekend recently for nostalgia's sake, and it really made me depressed. Nobody does any of the old content anymore because you level past it immediately. There's no reason to group up and kill shit because it's faster just to do a few quests and level for free.

FFIX is complete garbage. Everything is time-gated when you reach max level, so you must wait a literal week after one day of play to every do anything again. Not to mention that everyone that plays it is a casual moron that can't do simple things so you can never progress even with a "static" that you have to dedicate autistic amounts of time to. I would argue that the game is fun UNTIL you reach max level for the adventure. The environments are wonderful and the story is cool.

Too bad every single class plays exactly the same as their same type of class. I've played them all and they just feel like reskins. If you look at the skills they're pretty much all the same thing with slight variations. There are no interesting concepts for any of the classes. Even summoner, one of the coolest jobs in final fantasy, doesnt really summon anything except little faggy things that might as well not even be summons.

Woops meant XIV. no idea why i put IX.

thats pretty much whats it for.

Ok FF11 asks me to pay 10 euro for it.
It it subscription based like 14, or buy to play?
Does it have cash shop?
I know the game is old as shit, older than WOW, but how is visual customization? Can I put costumes over armor? Can put skins on weapons?

It's sub based. I dont know about the other stuff since i didnt play it long enough to see if they added any of that. There was not weapon or costume skins before though.

Ff11 is pay to play
There is no ingame cash shop but you can buy server changes. Armor customization is better than wow because it isnt painted on. Models are nice. You can save current look or outfits with lockstyle command, and hide helm command, too.

People will still team up to help, many people kngame are chomping to do anything, at least where i was at, asura. I rolled an entirrly new character, many people were availablr to helpnfor bcnms and missions.

you have to buy the game AND pay the subscription
no, no such thing
yes, you can, its called "Lockstyling", you don't exactly use costumes, but you lock your "appearance" to any set of armor in the game that you can actually equip (ie, if you want to lockstyle to Dark Knight armor, you need your DRK job to be able to equip said armor, if its level 1, you can't) it will take you about 2 weeks/1 month to get used to the HUD and menus.
forget every generic MMO you've ever played, XI is nothing like that drag & drop skills into slots shit, all your skill shortcuts are made through text commands that you program into slots that you can trigger with ALT/CTRL + number/F keys, if you write the macro wrong, you'll get an error message, so you need to know how it works beforehand.

I know this wasnt asked but if you are planning to play ffxi i would recmmend a gamepad of some sort, keyboard controls i never grew accustomed to.

don't listen to this, using a gamepad hinders your ability to play in the long run because you have a lot less keys and you STILL need to switch back and forth to the keyboard in order to chat

once you master the KB+M, you will play a lot better than padfags

One would expect them to at least implement modern UI after all these years.

You need to be 18+ to post here

Its true but i didnt have an issue back in the 75 era with gamepad. Even in 100 with summoner it was fine.

What the fuck are you talking about? Are you one of those faggots who flew everywhere on the flight paths and never went mountain climbing for the hidden word walls?

Nah, buddy
A friend of mine is 26 and he just never tried to get into the genre

Do you realize that Tera is old as shit?
Even if you played is it as 12yo, you'd be around 17-18 now.

i just started playing OSRS again, but with a twist, im not going to buy membership, im going to farm GP on free mode and buy Bonds, anyone want to join in?

lv21 attack already