Noam Chomsky on market-driven education

Our favorite anaroldie on the US educational system:
truth-out.org/opinion/item/38066-noam-chomsky-on-the-perils-of-market-driven-education

How can we spread class consciousness if people are not taught to think and question the world around us? If people are only taught that all the knowledge that they need is the knowledge that is useful to their employers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6_FEhj2mn08?t=2m18s
youtu.be/B00qgKnz-uU?t=8m27s
chomsky.info/1992____/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is a faggot who made his bones critiquing US imperialism and hegemony and endorsed Hillary Clinton, he needs to die of old age soon.

It's a legitimate choice, if not a great one. I think the best is to refrain from voting, but you can justify nearly any electoral choice this election as being the relative "best" for the left, depending on your political priorities and how much you believe the candidates' rhetoric.

No. For all his talk, he got a dose of cognitive dissonance, that is all. Trump was too triggering for him, it's utterly disgusting to see it from him, considering his whole schtick was moral consistency.

Yeah, really. With one hand he'll successfully critique dubious state activity and rising trends in neoliberal capitalism, and with the other he'll suggest the stupidest, most liberal course of action. Anarcho-liberalism in a nutshell.

Left reactionaries are dumb as shit.

t. Noam Chomsky

If people actually have to be taught to question things and practice critical thought, there's no hope for the species.

Also, gentle reminder that Chomsky:
1. is a self-described conservative
2. opposes gun ownership
3. supports feminism and other idpol cults

I still respect him, though.

He actually criticised id Holla Forums viciously, and the French fucks who wasted everyones time with it, but as always with Chomsky he pussies out of any real world aspects of continuing his analysis.

Yeah, he has criticised some things, but he's firmly on board the "women in the west are oppressed" crazy train.

Jill Stein is pretty dumb, bro. She thinks wi-fi is killing people. I'd rather have a sane person in office.

I don't think you know who Chomsky even is tbh. He called himself a conservative? In what year? What are you talking about specifically?

Then why are you implying you'll vote for Hillary "Ratchet Up Tensions with Russia" Clinton?

I don't vote. But also her bad judgement doesn't mean she's crazy.

But really am I supposed to think Trump would be a better leader? Or Jill Stein or Lolbert Johnson? Because no… I would never feel that way.

It wasn't an endorsement, it was about who would do less harm. Granted, I'm not sure who is more hawkish, but I think Hillary is nominally better for working people because there's a minute chance her party will push her to be, so I see his point but im voting Jill regardless.

Stein is at least nominally anti-war and in favor of a socialized healthcare system. And you think she's insane and worse than Clinton because she wants more research on the effects of wi-fi? Doesn't that seem rather petty?

youtu.be/6_FEhj2mn08?t=2m18s
youtu.be/B00qgKnz-uU?t=8m27s

chomsky.info/1992____/

He also admires Burke, and incorrently believes that conservatism means opposition to state power.

Holla Forums needs to leave

Oh look a liberal faggot

You're grossly mis-stating Papa Noam's position and you know it.

He's shown time and again that he's imprecise with terminology when having casual conversations but is at other times pretty on point. Either way, who gives a shit. You know what he means when he says conservative in his own weird way.

You do understand what he's saying by this, right?

In case you don't: he's saying he's more conservative in the sense that neoliberals like Reagan really were (in their time) proposing socioeconomic policies that were incredibly unorthodox (deregulation, outsourcing, privatizing en masse but nationalizaing key industries, curbing labor's bargaining rights against capital, etc.). Compared to what was originally considered 'conservative' in the US (and elsewhere in western capitalism, really) Reagan was basically the first to break from the otherwise very Keynesian New Deal-type policy the US saw post-Great Depression. Chomsky's proposals, while incredibly flip floppy, are essentially at the base a heavily interventionist social democracy up to what is ultimately anarchism in one form or the other, and both are older ideas than neoliberalism. In this sense, Chomsky is the 'real conservative' compared to Reagan and other neoliberals because he's an advocate of what self-identified conservatives used to stand for up to only very recently.

No dude, really. I respect Chomsky a whole lot when it comes to what he's done for the left but when you take a real look at his proposal record and even what he says today it's really apparent that he's very contradicting in practice versus rhetoric.

Forgot pic related.

If people actually have to be taught to question things and practice critical thought, there's no hope for the species.
This, TBH. That education can be used to teach marketable skills is obvious. That education can be used to teach learning itself, rather than serving as an instrument to enforce intellectual compliance, far more contestable.

Providing better tools (raw data from greater transparency requirements, cheaper and more user-friendly software for using it, cheaper access to prepared intelligence like investment whitepapers and research journals) might be a superior approach.

shoo shoo Holla Forumsack