Old FPS games thread

Old FPS games thread

Downloaded Blood games again after remembering them suddenly yesterday, having fun again. Though I noticed I became really shit at these games

Other urls found in this thread:

swisscm.duke4.net/downloads/BMOUSE06.ZIP
moddb.com/mods/shogo-ikari
moddb.com/mods/shogo-hydra
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Most of are I guess. I have no shame in saying I play old school fps games on easy.

I played blood daily as a child and never got past the first level

are you retarded or something.

Finished Pirate DOOM, Golden Souls, D2 Reloaded and Doom the way ID did, now trying UAC Ultra

Is there a way to unfuck how mouse look works?

Talkin bout blood, forgot to mention…

No actually same happened to me with Duke3D

swisscm.duke4.net/downloads/BMOUSE06.ZIP

This will fix it? I might actually get out of bed now and go to my computer.

Vertical mouselook is still a little rough, but it at least fixes some of the problems.

What exactly do you mean by that? I was playing the gog version and it does have mouse options in the game

everything pre-Half Life was shit

everything after-Crysis is shit

Why are you allowed to have an opinion? Why do you exist?

Deathmatch Classic is pretty cool, too bad there are like 5 people playing it.

All shit, Doom is a fucking meme game that even had auto aim. Fucking hipster kids.

Nice bait.
Half-Life started the whole plague of scripted hell.

That was Half Life 2 and Call Of Duty 2, you are even younger than i thought

That was HL2 mongoloid

You haven't even played it for 5 minutes, I see.

Im quoting you just so others can laugh at you

Please do. It's filled with scripted events.

Hahaha oh shit

Isn't the problem with build engine itself; something about the vertical and horizontal axis not being allowed to update at the same time?

It feels like the mouse gets 'snagged' when trying to use mouselook and diagonal motion.

Only during the opening sequence it crawled and trapped you inside a room. Rocket launch scene, too, I guess.

Play the game

"Room that traps you" isn't the only kind of scripted event.

I played it more than a hundred times lmao.

Watch out man, he watched pewdiepie play through it

Nice samefagging.

What the fuck is happening to Holla Forums. A scripted event is one that is designed to occur in exactly the same way every time. This can be as simple as a scientist halting you to explain things. Half-life is an extremely script-heavy game, there is not much of what you could call emergent gameplay there. I've only put 20 hours into it how the fuck do you people not know this.
That's one fucking area in the game and it's solid scripted events from start to finish.

these were all shit?

What? Are you stupid?

Samefagging is effortless
And you have a VPN like everyone else. Congratulations.

What the fuck are you on about? Why dont you ask mark or someone else to show you my ip log?

Did you miss the part about VPN?

What? No, you are just a paranoid schizo.

You failed.

Failed at what?

Im trying to remenber a (possibly FPS) old PC game.

the only thing that I remenber is that when you died, a cuts-scene of an island or similar explodes. Also I think you fighted multiple weird monsters.

Could someone help me please?

didnt shadow warrior have scripted stuff? or ami getting to old to remember

Amazing bait, Captain Highliner.

Of course there's scripted events everywhere. I saw it as 'scripted events that ruined the pace of the game'. Once you're locked in to those sort of areas, you have to wait for the script to come to its conclusion before you're allowed to leave, no matter how much you fight to get out of it.
Ones that just appear and don't impede you, or just simply run past or grenade them away are minor annoyances in the first game.

Isle of Dead?

No, sorry.

Why are old FPS games so highly praised on Holla Forums?
Games like Doom require custom .wad's to be remotely good, which is following the terrible Bethesda philosophy of game design.
With the exception of maybe some arena shooters, there is absolutely zero strategic play involved and the tactical side consists of simple point and click firing and WASD movement.
To their credit they usually have meaningful level design, however majority of the time the overall game itself is linear, which gives off a false sense of complexity.

Well, let me ask you some questions then first. Which enemies do you prioritize over others? Do you just shoot the ones closest to you?
Which weapons do you use depending on the situation? The ones which are most powerful, or the ones which you get the most ammo for?
Do you just stand still most of the time in combat, or is there any rhyme to your movements?
Do you pay attention to your surroundings for secrets and/or traps?
How do you think enemy composition (e.g. which enemy types are used in an encounter and where they are placed) affects the way you deal with a given situation?
How do you think the level geometry synergizes with the enemies and the player's possibilities for movement?
How do you think the weapon balance affects what weapons the player should use in battles?
Are there any tactics you always keep in mind in order to deal with certain enemies while playing in Doom? Like shooting pinkies with rocket launchers when they charge at you?

My god, you just put the whole fucking can of worms on a hook and called it a day.

That's exactly what BMOUSE is supposed to fix.

WHAT JUST HAPPENED

I will begin my responses under the parameters of vanilla Doom 1 on Ultra Violence difficulty.
For the most part, no. Yes.
With a few exceptions, I just use any of them randomly (disincluding the pistol), there wasn't any situation on my playthrough where this overall negatively affected me.
The most rhythm is probably just dodging enemy attacks.
Nope, the missing of secrets is usually of little negative impact and getting into traps rarely causes issues when you can just easily blast your way out.
Barely at all with the exception of rare encounters like Cyberdemons and the Spiderdemon at the end.
In a very limited way for combat with enemies, auto-aim for the y axis. Level geometry is impressive for the how open-ended it is for player movement I will admit.
Don't use the pistol or BFG unless necessary, everything else is seemingly fine. I think the game is too generous with ammunition.
Nope, unless the enemy is a Baron of Hell, Cyberdemon or Spiderdemon in which obviously I just use whatever weapon is the strongest.

In conclusion, only about 5% of the events where you have to problem solve actually require any thought into your actions what-so-ever (like versing Cyberdemons). The rest is just mindless aim and shoot and basic movement which reminds me of just any regular triple A modern FPS trash like Call of Duty. To top it all off, game isn't even that fast.

Fuck if I know, did you install it properly?
I forgot whether there was a mouse sensitivity option for Blood.

This game was better than Quake, prove me wrong.

Get out of here, Todd.

There

Then it's both of you that is "disadvantaged". You learn to use dynamite/pipebombs effectively or you still gripe decades later.

Have your tried Going Down?

I suppose I can see how the first three episodes might be a bit too generous with ammo (save for plasma cells and rockets), though episode 4 spits out anyone who plays the game 'mindlessly'.
You think the Cyberdemon requires the most strategy? The 'shoot at it until it dies' Cyberdemon? The 'circlestrafe it and hold down the fire button while aiming at it with the rocket launcher until it dies' Cyberdemon? Better levels combine Cyberdemons with other enemies in order to make the rocket-launching behemoth more dangerous. The spiderdemon is only a hitscan enemy with a lot of HP and just forces you to take potshots or trick it into infighting, and the tactics necessary are barely any different from regular zombie gunners and shotgunneers.

Just watch embed related to see what impact the enemy cast has on the gameplay of Doom. To say that all of them might as well be a gray blob with identical attack patterns and require no different tactics to deal with is just flat-out disingenuous unless you were playing on lower difficulties.

If you're going to bash on the enemies of Doom for barely forcing you to adapt, then I don't get why you are calling the level design of Doom great, as enemy composition and level geometry go hand in hand in level design. It doesn't matter how geometrically complex your level is, place hitscan enemies everywhere and your level be a bitch to play, while a geometrically simple level isn't always able to use enemy composition to its fullest extent. The level geometry makes up for the slow movement speed of most enemies, while at the same time limiting your superfast movement speed in order to prevent you from running away from everything. Serious Sam has big open levels, for example, because it has a fuckton of enemies at once which are faster than you and will cause trouble once they get close. Serious Sam wouldn't work in a Doom level, and neither would vice versa work. The many custom WADs (you said Doom only was really good with) all have different level design using these same enemies, so at the same time I'm wondering what custom WADs you are talking about before Doom only gets good.

I heard about it, looks cool

But you agree that the core game of FS is miles better than Vanilla quake?

You're just not used to them anymore.
I noticed it when "episode 5" for Quake got released and I replayed the first 4 to wash the stnech of the new one off.
I plain and simply sucked at it, while I used to speedrun it back in the day.

So I guess thanks to the dumbing down of shooters throughout the years I lost any reason to be even remotley good at them, simply because you didn't need to.
Look after ammo and health?
Why bother if every enemy leaves plenty of ammo and your helath regenerates anyway.
Prioritizing enemies and move accordingly?
Why bother when aiming at the closest is enough and most of them are too stupid to go after you anyway as long as you hide behind a corner.

And so on…

No, just about five years old and never seen a computer before.

How the fuck do you get this to work on windows 7, I tried all the fixes I could find

GOG version works fine with just a bit of flickering going on in the HUD.
I hope this isn't the "Worked on my machine :) tm"

moddb.com/mods/shogo-ikari
moddb.com/mods/shogo-hydra
related unrelated, some shogo half life mods
i don't know how to get original to run, sorry.