So let's talk about this series for a second, I played pic related...

So let's talk about this series for a second, I played pic related, I thought it was pretty good and I'd like to play more megaman.
What are the good/must-play games in this series?

Megaman general if you want.

Other urls found in this thread:

rks.wikia.com/wiki/Rosenkreuzstilette
romhacking.net/hacks/2294/
romhacking.net/hacks/478/
romhacking.net/hacks/460/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

3's a favorite of mine. I'd suggest it for the music alone. Mega Man V on the Gameboy is pretty good, too.

Have you tried playing the first one?
That one was my favorite, although I do see why people don't like it.

I only have MM2 on my 3DS

All the classic titles on NES and Gameboy, plus 9 and 10, are pretty good. 7 and 8 are alright, though 8 has some infamous English voice acting. The X series starts out great then gets worse around 5 and 6 to hit rock bottom at 7. X8 is okay. Command Mission is a jrpg spinoff of the X series. The Zero series is good. ZX and ZX Advent are decent. All three Legends games are pretty fun. The Battle Network series is pretty beloved, with the exception of 4. Starforce is basically a not as good BN. Powered Up is a pretty good remake of the first classic game. Maverick Hunter X is a not so good remake of the first X game.

If that still isn't enough Mega Man, Mega Man Unlimited, Rock Force, and the Day in the Limelight series are all good fan games. Rockman Minus Infinity is an amazing romhack of Mega Man 4 that I recommend any fan of the series check out.

starforce might be be as loved but i dont think it has any weak games, and it has best girl with best hair

Pretty much all of 'em in chronological order is a good way to go about it

Skip Mega Man 8 unless you're interested in it, Mega Man 10 is also skippable but its Mega Man Killer levels are fantastic

Mega Man X you can skip everything after X4, X5 is dogshit despite the "omg x vs. zero finally" horseshit, X6 is half-baked because of 8 months of total development time albeit what it did it did decently or very very well and has the best soundtrack of the PSX games, X7 is pretty bad and X8 is okay to good but bland in its level designs

Command Mission is a fantastic JRPG

Never cared for Legends, all Battle Networks are good except 1 and 4 (1 is dated and summed up four or five times throughout the rest of the series so you don't really miss anything, 4 is horrid)

Star Force 1 and 2 kinda stink and are a stripped-down BN despite the system upgrade but Star Force 3 is Battle Network-tier

Powered Up is a fun chibi Mega Man 1 remake with two new robots and the ability to play as all of them + Mega Man with slide and charge-shot upgrades, normal Rock, Roll and Proto Man, Maverick Hunter X is an ok Mega Man X remake with questionable music changes, shuffled around armor locations so you can beat it without mandatory dash boots, a difference between the buster you get from Zero's death and Light's buster parts (Zero's is a red charged shot that deals more damage instead of Light's wave-shot), and the ability to play as Vile. Also comes with a pretty good OVA, Day of Sigma, that serves as a prologue for the game

what the beef with megaman 8 anyways?

Kind of an awkward game overall that experimented with Mega Man through Rush Jet shmup levels and a generally slower pace but not in a really good way

Its cutscenes are legendarily bad though, wheeling all the way around into being good such as through voice-actors stuttering in the delivery of their lines

i guess i agree, although i ended up enjoying it overall somehow. im sure the music helped.
that shit was below speed racer tier, i didnt even think anything of it at the time. it was normal to me

Honestly, there aren't too many Mega Man games that are that bad. The only ones that are usually panned are X6 and X7, and maybe a couple of the Battle Network and Star Force games for being bland, but I can't think of a terrible game in the series, unless you include obscure spinoffs that no one cares about.

Oh, and we shall never discuss Xover. That never happened.

But the animation was actually pretty awesome. It was the voice acting that was atrocious.

The classic series can be broken down like this:

Buggy, score system, establishes what Mega Man is about. The score system was dropped in later titles. Feels slower than later games.

Everything broken in Mega Man 1 was fixed up. Most peoples entry to the series back in the day, a good starting point still.

Sliding is added, all of them are pretty solid games. Felt like they were running out of ideas in the later ones.

Tried to take the graphics to a more "anime" look. Good entry to the series but it doesn't feel like the NES games, but it is close.

Continuing with the trend started in 7 they tried to make it a more cinematic experience. The dub is bad and I didn't play it much so I can't tell you any more.

Return to the roots of the series. Feels closer to 2 than any other game in the bunch because it doesn't have sliding. Feels solid on both consoles I've played it on (Wii and 360). I suggest the Wii version because changing weapons is mapped to the back button on 360 with no way to change it.

Having spent a lot of time with this game and 2 I recommend over 2. They are both really good but I like the levels in this one more.

Has time attack and endless attack modes so there is a lot of replay-ability.

A good game but it felt like a cash grab in a lot of ways. Not as memorable as 9 but decent and worth playing if you like 9.

Has quick switching of weapons (L and R buttons) but you can play it the old school way too as long as you're not in time attack mode.

This game is worth picking up if you like the classic series: rks.wikia.com/wiki/Rosenkreuzstilette

Also there are a ton of really good ROM hacks out there for the classic series. If you're a fan of the old games I suggest getting these:

romhacking.net/hacks/2294/

romhacking.net/hacks/478/

romhacking.net/hacks/460/

One thing I forgot about is charging the Mega buster. The early games (1-3) don't have a charge shot at all, 4-6 have a charge shot and made minor modifications to it over the course of those games.

9 dropped the charge shot like since it was a return to what made Mega Man 2 so great. 10 continued that tradition and didn't have a charge shot either.

Oh one last thing about the mega buster: there is a pellet limit because the series was developed on the NES. You can only have 3 (iirc) on screen at the same time. So if you're closer the edge of the screen or near an enemy you can spam more hits quicker.

Finally the most important thing to remember about old school Mega Man is the difficulty is a bit artificial. All you have to do is memorize the stages and run forward with the mega buster. All bosses have predictable patterns and all spawns will be the same 99% of the time.

If you want to play Mega Man 1 then play Powered Up instead, it adds in two more bosses and lets you play as robot masters as well.

My Nigger. i came to post this

why is roll so perfect?

There aren't enough good action side scrollers. This one kind of reminds me of mega man.

I've been playing through the Game Boy games recently. They're actually really fucking good.

Except II, II's awful. But Mega Man III's probably one of my favorite games in the whole series now.

Minakuchi Engineering did good with Game Boy Mega Man games.

Depends on which one you want a challenge out of because Powered Up is significantly easier than the NES game unless you're explicitly playing on the Original mode, but the Original mode has none of the new content worth looking into and at that point it's just a graphical update

Megaman 6. Don't let faggots tell you otherwise.

Actually this reminds me a lot of that one armor in X6 that had a dash that could damage enemies.
This looks pretty damn fun, how long is it?

Sorry

Are the Game Boy games just ports of the NES games or are they different?

You fucked up not starting with 1 OP, controls are clunky and it doesn't have energy tanks and passwords, so it's pretty hard compared to the other games. Still a pretty good game and you should play it.
Mega Man 3 is my favorite after 2, bosses are cool, level design is alright and it added the slide which is pretty fun.
MM4 adds the charge shot and it's probably the hardest after 1.
MM5 is maybe the least good of the NES games.
And like said 6 is pretty underrated IMO, it's really easy though.

MM7 while keeping the elements of the previous games it adds a lot of stuff, like the shop, where you can buy items such as lives and energy tanks. It has a lot of hidden shit too. The graphics are awesome (although everything is too big in my opinion). It also introduces Bass who is pretty cool, the enemies are pretty good looking and it has probably the hardest last boss in any Mega Man game.

Can't much anything about 8 since the emulator keeps crashing after I beat the ice boss but I'll say one thing: the english dub is awful.

And haven't played 9 or 10.

You fight 4 bosses and then another 4 instead of 8 and Mega Man 5 is a separate game entirely with entirely new bosses.

like said, they're different games entirely, usually mixing bosses from two consecutive NES games into one game (1 and 2, 2 and 3, etc.), while adding a few original characters as well. V is all original bosses. They're numbered with roman numerals instead of arabic, so you'll typically know if people are talking about them or the NES games.

Play 8 through emulated Anniversary Collection or find a better emulator if you want to play 8, though AC's 8 is the PS1 version which doesn't have the cool stuff the Saturn version did like secret Cut Man and Wood Man fights

Megaman

As someone who is also just now getting into this series (playing all the games in order, including the DOS pieces of shit. Currently at 4), this has been bugging me. The title screens of the NES games are all in roman numerals. Yet everyone uses arabic numerals to differentiate them from the game boy games. Explain this bullshit.

Megaman classic: 1-10, but you don't REALLY need to play 8 unless you really want to. I'd also recommend megaman and bass.
I don't know much about the gba games, but those are supposedly good too.
If you want more, then megaman unlimited is always an option.
X: 1-3. You really don't need to go much further, but 4 is bearable. Command mission is one of my favorite rpgs of all time

Zero: all of em.

Zx: same as Zero

Battle network: I only played one of them a long while ago so my memory isn't the best, but I had fun.

Starforce: no idea
Legends: no idea either

Battle Network is extremely unique, and will likely be either love or hate at first sight. Opinions on which ones are worth playing vary, but general consensus is that the order of quality is something along the lines of: 3>2=6>5>1>dogshit>4. I personally would say 2,3,5,6 are worth playing. Release order is ideal, but not necessary by any means.

Legends 1 is extremely rough around the edges. 2 is exponentially better in every way. I wouldn't say you should skip 1, since it's nice in its own way, but if you're only intending to play the best in each series, go with 2 and don't look back. Unfortunately, it's difficult to say that you can skip 1, for plot reasons, but even if you do, it's not a huge problem. You could easily read a plot synopsis or something.

Starforce is Meh. 1 has some interesting concepts, but weak execution. 2 is pure, unfiltered garbage. 3 almost starts getting back to what made Battle Network so much fun, but the core mechanics still aren't as good as BN's.

(Checked)

Right in the childhood.

It was more refined than 1, but it also felt a lot more unfinished.

What felt unfinished about it?

The world was shit compared to Kattelox.

I'm counting Misadventures as one of them.

4's my favorite by virtue of having Pharaoh Man

Play them in chronological order, but skip a few. I'll lay the mainline games out for you

My favorite aspect of this series is how the story gradually changes from the cheesy cartoon plot of Classic, to the 90s anime style of X, to the gritty post-apoc Zero and ZX games. The music continues to be top-tier throughout the whole series.

Doesn't make them bad, plus they introduce Bass and Duo.