Is there anything worse than making a direct sequel to a game with multiple endings and making the worst possible...

Is there anything worse than making a direct sequel to a game with multiple endings and making the worst possible ending canon to continue the franchise?

calling all the endings canon due to time shenanigans

Fuck that shit so much. Also,

being todd howard

>Sequel follows none of the endings
Bonus points if you know which game.

Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker's new story mode did this, with the canon ending being a fusion of two original endings.

What a coincidence, I just happen to be playing VLR right now.

Dude Sex: Invisimals Vore

making a direct story sequel to a videogame/series that had a solid ending in the first place deserves death.

That really depends on the genre.

give me an example where it worked out

Super Mario Bros.

just read a book or watch a movie

b-but the story D:

what story is there to mario?

while I agree for the most part, it definitely is more engaging to at least have a proper coherent reason for you to do these tasks other than

At least it makes sense why you have to do that in that game.
remember to write down anything that seems important like passwords or codes. the archive doesn't track everything

fuck that shit, just play the game, the only ending people should want is
Thanks for playing
Game Over

Once upon a fuck Mario was working in the sewers and then he finished cleaning the sewers.
The end.
Then this other time he went into a magic mushroom land where he found a mushroom guy that told him that their princess was kidnapped by a giant turtlewizard. Then Mario did a go to the castle and kicked the wizard in the sack, saved the princess and everything was wrapped up. The end.

Then one day, Mario found another magical land hidden away in a dream where the denizens of the dreamland were being tormented by a large animal in a robe. Mario and company choked the fuck out of his frog ass with vegetables and he died, and the denizens of the Dreamworld: Subcon were able to resume their peaceful lives and return Mario to his new home in the mushroom kingdom where he slept in preparation for the next day.

News spread round the mushroom kingdom about the mario brother's legacy and Mario was called to an archipelago in the distance to assist the kings of those lands. Mario fought bravely against the Not at all related to Bowser Koopa Kids. and defeated Bowser freeing the kingdoms and rescuing his beloved princess peach.

Every Mario game besides I think Mario Galaxy has ended conclusively. Mario Galaxy, or maybe it was galaxy 2 I don't remember and sunshine ended without any real note of a sequel.
Galaxy maybe 2 where the Mario Universe was reset meaning there's a whole new universe for mario to dick around with and the prior continuity no longer canon.

call me a cuck but I want to have an RPG that doesn't have suck incompetent writing for their quests that they rely on quest markers and location compasses, or a game that uses environmental storytelling intelligently, like Thief 1.

no dude, Invisible War did something different, it combined the endings so they ALL happened

The Shadow Hearts series manages to pull off the "bad ending is cannon" thing pretty well.

I thought that was a nice method to use

Making an entire franchise around having multiple endings for the newest game to say they all happened and then get rail roaded into a forced main final which makes every alternate ending in the franchise worthless.

And we end up with best bro being killed because moron can't understand that a dyke was just playing the underdog bonus so to prove the point of her argument

Letting people decide end up in shit everytime