Collection Thread

Collection Thread

How all you collectors out there doing?
Get anything rare?
Anything Good?
Anything Cheap?
Any mix of the few?
Post your collection and rant about hipsters and normalfags driving up the price of NES-N64 games!

Games, Figures, Posters, Comics/Magazines, anything vidya related!
Show off those beautiful shelves!

Talk about goals! you think you will ever add that one thing you always wanted to to your collection?

Pics related is my collection (Sorry for Glare+Potato tier quality), Not that large I know but its the small victories that count for me
(Filling a shelf, getting that one game I have been looking for, etc.)
Recently I got Super Bomberman 2, in prety alright condition and I just traded my copy of Skyward Sword for it.
Also got Vectorman 2 CIB for only 5 dollars, so thats not bad either!
I think what I really need is both more shelves and definitely nicer shelves.

Reminder to people that a bit of patience and persistence with checking local stores can net you some really good finds. Some of the more expensive stuff here I got for a lot less than they average normally, either because the store in question was slow to increase prices (if the game had been sitting there a while) or just downright fucked up on the prices for apparently no good reason.

Been a bit of a dry spell recently for finding cheap preowned stuff that I'd want to play but don't already have. Though i suppose that's alright since there's a few upcoming releases that are of interest that I ought to start saving for.

Oh man that is a crystal clean camera, Envious that I can actually read all the titles, my terrible phone-camera quality isn't so generous
Very nice bookshelves, as well!
You collection itself even seems very nice and clean!
I also need to get me tiny drawers like those for my gameboy games!

Also wish I could find a cheap frame from a poster I'm wanting to put up for a game I really like, but I've been having a bit of a hard time finding one that doesn't seem disproportionately expensive. Though I'm not even sure how well it might look in one of those anyhow, being one of those fold up kinds that are all creased.

It's just from a phone based camera that can output at high size and has decent focus, with some photoshop to resize and lay them out as one image.

Go to Office Max and look for containers in the "Useful Little Box" brand, if you're looking for ones specifically for GBA sized carts. Each of those cost $1 and can hold five cartridges perfectly, even some of the oversized ones like the Boktai games (you might have issues with stuff like Drill Dozer and most likely Warioware Twisted won't fit at all).

My nigga
fix the position of space dandy season 1 and 2 you dip

Good catch. Moved recently and hadn't noticed they weren't in order. Got them fixed up now.

As for TTGL, that DVD set isn't bad (I heard there's another one that the stopped producing part way through that only has episodes 1-9, or something, so you have to be a bit careful as far as checking which ones you're looking at if one's inclined to pick them up), but the subtitling for it seems rather low res compared to the actual animation, like old fansub quality as far as the visuals go. I've heard they did a more recent DVD release, but I think it was over $100 or so, which is a bit more than I'm wanting to drop, even on something I really like.

I have a copy of Deities & Demigods with the copyrighted sections still in it and no missing pages.

Wait…

Which edition?

my dad has an original copy of that with the cthulu mythos, it's pretty beat up though

Since you seem to enjoy JRPGs and have a PS2, you should consider looking into picking up the Wild Arms (1-3, anyhow; I enjoyed the later ones but they're a bit hit or miss with fans) and Shadow Hearts games if you're maybe looking for suggestions of things to look out for. Prices on a few entries aren't pretty though.

Unless you live in an area with no games and/or company presence
Then you are fucked

sorry that the picture quality is fucking terrible
I don't collect much old stuff I was trying to collect for ps2 but I ended up just getting a fat ps2 and modding it because I don't have a lot of money, I've got every thing I want for xbox360 except for lost odyssey I'm having trouble finding it for a good price.

sorry for the shitty quality

I've also got a copy of Ni no Kuni DS

shit I forgot to put my copies of Bayonetta 2 and Tropical Dong in my Wii U pile

I got that game when I had a roommate and every time he came in the room when I was playing it he would snap his fingers and say "I'm a strong independent woman, I don't ni no kuni" in a black woman voice and thatch all I can think of when I see the game now

It's mostly fucking Gamestops here (they've pretty much taken over the town apart from bigger places like Walmart, Best Buy, and multimedia places), but in the towns surrounding me there's still some independently owned places.

Have you checked neighboring towns for potentially good places? I suppose it depends on what the layout's like where you live whether that's feasible or not (where I am we've got about four or five towns all clustered together, with the city limits being right on the edges of each other with no big stretches of empty land between them), but it's what I wound up doing after the local play'n'trade (the last Non gamestop vidya focused store in town) wound up going under.

Modded to play off burned discs, or a hard drive?

Why not have your games arranged vertically? Just curious.

hard drive

I actually have Wild Arms 2! (cant tell because Potato Quality makes it hard to read the PS1 Games)
I only played the beginningbut really liked it, I got a bit side tracked and have yet to get back to it (because its exhausting to play RPGs after a while of absence)
I have heard of Shadow Hearts, but they seem pretty costly when I see em

Dont worry man, I think thats much more clear than the ones in my OP
Loving the dedicated Metal Gear section

I understand why people do this but man it bugs me

Out of curiosity, what all did you need to get to set it up to do so? Been considering doing so with mine for out of region and/or fan translated games. I'm considering getting an IDE drive and an IDE-to-USB cable to put stuff on it, but I'm not sure what or if there's anything else physical I need for it to get it working.

As far as Shadow Hearts goes, the rather expensive entries are Koudelka (which I'd recommend emulating or playing as an eboot on a PSP, as it has some noticeable and annoying loading from the discs) and the first Shadow Hearts, namely because critics shat on the former and the latter had very poor release timing and didn't do well in sales. Covenant and From the New World did better in sales and are thus more available at lower prices, Covenant being about $30-35 here average and FtNW being $20-25. I really enjoy the games, but I suppose I might mention that the only entry I paid all that much for was Covenant (found Koudelka and FtNW cheap at a local multimedia place, while SH1 was a gift).

Anyhow, if you find Wild Arms 3 at a low price (it doesn't strike me that it would have climbed much since I got mine a few years back for $8), I'd recommend picking it up. Though it does have a PS4 PSN rerelease now too (with trophy support I doubt it ever needed). Really got a lot more than my money's worth from that one, and I'd really recommend it, especially if you liked WA2; it's not directly connected to WA2 (if anything it's got more in common themewise with WA1/ACF), but it does feature a similar Force only combat style, while further refining the Personal Skill system.

I'm estimating that it's maybe 800+ dollarydoos of scotches and whiskeys, and that's really not a lot. Not shown is the 60 dollar bottle of Peat Monster.

I'm the guy that works at the classic game store, we get lots of cool stuff in, and apart from a lot of high demand NES games recently, we didn't see too much particularly interesting. So I'm just sharing some of the shit I have to put up with when cleaning, and if anyone wants any tips I can offer them.

I arranged shit vertically since it saves space.

I need to get more room for my collection honestly.

the only other physical thing I needed was the ps2 network adapter
I don't think mine is done perfectly because I have no way of playing multi disc games but it works alright for me

I suppose at the very least there's not a huge amount of multidisc PS2 games (at least as far as once with actual content across both that you'd have to swap when prompted for); Shadow Hearts Covenant being the main one that comes to mind.

What's on that one, soda? Cigarette ash?

if I had to guess, judging from the other batch, basement dirt. Probably in someones corner in a slightly damp basement, maybe near a leaky pipe. It did not come off too easily.

Try to get yourself a bottle of Octomore By Bruichladdich

I also work at a classic game store
lotta people give up some old carts because they didn't work and blowing into them with their spit-filled mouth like an idiot didn't provide an immediate fix.
That dodgeball game looks neat, is it fun?
I have wanted a fun dodgeball game for a while

I didn't test it, I had a huge stack to get through today, but I was thinking about giving it a try.

Everyone at the store tells the customers not to blow in them, use alcohol and a q-tip instead, or brasso if it's really bad, but wipe the brasso off with alcohol after cleaning with it. There's some great comparison images of carts that were blown in and carts that weren't. The blown in ones look horrible. I'd like to thank Nintendo for unintentionally introducing that with the absolutely fucking retarded NES design.

No big deal if its a bad game
I just often think about how there is not enough dodgeball games, I think it has a lot of potential for some fun

I seem to recall seeing some Kunio-kun dodgeball game for the DS. Not sure how it is, but might be worth looking into if you're wanting games about it.

Why is that Pikachu a hipster?

He is a respectful buisness man, hence the suitcase

businessman, you swine.

I'm kicking myself for selling my NES Contra game back in high school.

Think last times I saw that around locally (that I noticed anyhow) it was about $30 cart only. Could certainly be worse in terms of price.

Yeah. Thankfully I figured out that keeping most of my old games was a good idea, so now with the ridiculous nature of the retro market, my games collection is probably worth at least fifty percent more than what I paid for it.

I was never allowed much when I was growing up, so I didn't have much to trade in anyhow, and usually wound up picking up stuff I'd liked prior as need be. Wound up mostly sticking with just Spyro and Pokemon until I was like sixteen or so when a friend helped me branch out more into other games. Most of is from the past four or five years, and having better access to money than I did as a kid has certainly helped. Still, I tend to wait until I find stuff at good prices, and in some cases the games have only shot up since then (not sure why Chibi-Robo hit the $70+ mark aside from maybe Zip Lash being announced; I got my copy slightly before that for $9).

Do wish I'd known about emulation earlier though. Could have played a lot more as a kid/teen without my parents getting on my case about wasting money (though they'd have still bitched about wasting time).

I mostly collect old pc games and games i cant emulate (ps2, xbox, 7th gen) so games are really cheap, but that also makes my collection not morth much.

Personally I place more value on having enjoyable stuff that's of interest to play than games that go for a lot. Though finding one that fits both at a cheap price is always welcome, since I generally like to have an actual copy of a game I've enjoyed when feasible on the wallet.

Still, with stuff older than the PS1 I really can't catch a break and score occasional cheap shit, since the SNES library and the like tend to be well known scalper bait (even among both the better priced stores as well as multimedia ones that fuck up from time to time), especially the games I'd be interested in, so I just emulate those.

Yeah. My collection is 60% ps2 because its what i enjoy the most. The rest are jewel caes of old pc games, ps3 games, and the occasonal ps1 game. I really see no need to keep what i can emulate, because i have an android i play everything on, so being locked down to my ps3 when playing FFT or legend of mana is inconvenient.

I really want to pick up one or two of the Final Fantasy's for SNES. Megaman X, too. But they're all so god damn expensive in PAL

Also have skies of arcadia and some NGPC shit coming in the mail.

Might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure MMX is at least somewhat pricy here in the states too. Though I'm pretty sure X2 and X3 average a lot more than it for whatever reason (could be wrong, but wasn't Mega Man pretty damn popular even back then? Seems odd that the X games wouldn't sell well, so maybe they just didn't print many of X2 or X3 to warrant such high prices?).

Final Fantasy II and III (going by the SNES names here) were about $30-40 and $40-50 last time I saw them around. Not sure what sort of prices you guys are seeing but PAL JRPG fans seem to get fucked over in a number of sad ways, be it ridiculous prices for older stuff these days, delays in games being brought over, and various games outright not being brought over at all.

Hows that GBA Lufia game?

Also, might be good to take another photo with those DS games in the Starbucks rack visible. I can just barely see SN: Twin Age and Front Mission in there.

Around 30, 35 bucks for the cart. Not too bad, it's far cheaper than x2/3, but at the same time a brand new copy of X collection or the PS2 is like 15 bucks.

Isn't X Collection (as far as the compilation goes) best on the Gamecube anyhow? It's certainly a pricy bastard there at like $60-80 around where I live, though I suppose that's better than $200 or so just for an X3 cart alone.

Hello fellow game store worker! How does the board look?

Classic game store worker here too. Last year a guy brought in a Rubbermaid tote (minus lid) of SNES and NES games that were all in shit condition. Mold, grime and cigarette tar on almost all of them. Guy said he'd take any offer because he just didnt want them in his trailer home. Co worker gave him $10 not knowing if any of them would work. I spent the next day cleaning off gunk and sanding connectors, but I managed to save all but 2 of them. Selling Chrono Trigger more than covered what we paid the guy and cleaning supplies used to clean that shit. Got a rash on my arm from the cat hair that got into some of the cartridges but it was worth it.

Also
I didn't like it, it feels so generic and bland, it's almost like they made the story for another game but at the last minute slapped it onto a lufia game they were working on and just changed a few names/characters.
Here you go fam

It's not really all that better or different, certainly not paying 60-70 bucks over 15 different

Now that i think about it though it's really not that good of an option, x3 isn't even the snes version, it's the inferior ps1 remake.

also, some more higher quality pics

Thanks for the pictures. Is Rise of the Sinistrals as bad a version of Lufia II as some people make it out to be?

Also
Why exactly do you have that?

Fuck, I really need some decent lighting in my room. I just moved it, but at least my TV & record player are good to go. I've been told my AMP & TV are very expensive. Should probably clean them up one of these days.

Yeah, the lighting in my old room was pretty shit as well, and the layout was cramped to the point I had to lean backwards over my bed to get good photos. Thankfully that's not the case anymore.

The super nintendo game? No it's actually pretty good, albeit a bit buggy thanks to Natsume cocking up the game code/translation. Curse of the Sinistrals on the other hand has been retooled to be something closer to kingdom hearts or a modern FF than Lufia. Also the game just changes shit for the sake of changing shit(I.E The game starts off with maxim, who now looks like a final fantasy character, going off with professor Lexis to kick Gades ass, and then, when this plan SOMEHOW doesn't how out and Gades one shots him, they gets forcefed bullshit by Erim Iris about how maxim is the chosen one.)
I bought a DS lite from ebay and it came with that, and some other shit.

Sorry, got both of the names confused. Meant the DS one. Why did they change up stuff like that for that version anyhow? I mean, I suppose one could say that various other remakes Square did on the system, like FFIII and IV, had some differences from their prior versions too, but as far as I'm aware the character designs still worked based off the original style and as far as I know the plots and characterization are still largely the same. Change simply for the sake of change, with nothing to actually justify it, generally isn't a smart move for trying to appease both new and older fans.

Who was even responsible for the Lufia DS game anyhow, if Square themselves weren't (the way Matrix Software was hired by Square-Enix to develop the DS versions of FFIII and IV)?

WHAT YEAR IS IT

The same people who made the original Lufia 2 made this(though squeenix is also listed as a developer). Keep in mind though that they didn't really do anything other than rune factory at that point, and hadn't really made a lufia game in 9 years, and even then it was a gbc game co-developed with another company, and had all the puzzles axed for randomly generated dungeons

[Current Year]?

Maybe a case of the actual original dev team not being there anymore, or something? Reminds me of how Lunar: Dragon Song had that tagline on the front cover about it being from the developers that gave the world Lunar: Silver Star, but I have to question is either barely any of them were there anymore, had gone senile, or if Ubisoft was just plain bullshitting western customers with that line.

See, here's what scummy about this, technically they're right, GA did program the original two Lunar games and i'm sure many of the people who did that still work there, but it was a spin off company called studio alex that made the game as great as it was, and they were sued into oblivion by GA years before.

So technically, GameArts could still claim to be responsible for the games people liked, but they themselves were never responsible for developing them? What did they sue the shit out of Studio Alex over anyhow?

I wonder if the Japanese version had that promotion banner on the front cover as well, or if it was just the western releases that did.

Here are my rarest game related things in my collection.

My bride and joy is the scandinavian bucky o'hare cib. I play it now and then becouse it is actually a very good game and it has very good soundtrack. I bought it 5-7 years ago in a price about 80€. I don't know how valuable this is in current year.

The mega drive add-ons came in a package deal with a 19 mega drive games(very common), console it self, all the wires and the controller. Overall it was a very good deal. something like a 130€, about 4-6 years ago.

My friend was working on in some local recycling center 4 years ago and managed to save the vectrex games and the controller for me. Sadly the game console itself didn't make it. basicly some guy just dropped off his whole vectrex collection for the 1 way ticket to be processed as electric junk. There were strick rules that employees can't take some old electric devices like old game consoles or vhs players for them self. So the employees has to smuggle the stuff out when supervisors aren't looking.

It kind a makes me sad that people still throw away these old relics like every day garbage. This year's spring, i even found a hero quest board game in my rowhouse community's garbage shed.

Step up your game user

Only reason i even have 7 is because the guy threw in a free game and memory card.

What a waste of money.

I don't think I've ever seen Vectrex games where I live, even at the stores with better variety. Can't imagine there's a lot of demand for them though