I am 30 years old and after 30 years of playing video games from all different genres and ages i have reached the...

I am 30 years old and after 30 years of playing video games from all different genres and ages i have reached the conclusion that the Monster Hunter series is literally the best all inclusive video game series ever made.

If you erased all other video games from your life, if you removed all other hardware and software from your daily life that allows you to play video games, and you were only left with MH, you would be perfectly fine, MH is the one game you need in order to get your video game fix in life, you don't need anything else, it's a concentrated protein shake of everything worth experiencing in vidya.

-Tight, skill based movement and attacking

-Natural casual filter, if you're not good enough you're rejected first from the game itself (it's boring/it's clunky/why do i keep getting hit/it's too grindy/why is it so slow/i can't hit shit), and then there's a second rejection filter by the community itself where if you're not good enough, the skiller hunting groups will kick you out, these two filters keep the core community clean and devoid of unwanted impurities.

-Tons of content.

-Tons of replay value.

-Huge hours-to-$ ratio.

It's pretty much perfect.
If i was stranded on a deserted island with the ability to get new entries from only a single series and nothing else, i'd immediately go with MH.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/FvCxa
pastebin.com/GaKfEChk
pastebin.com/8KPFN689
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I agree.

I got a PS3 back in early 2007 because I thought the next MonHun was going to be on it. Once Tri came out I got a Wii for it and eventually I imported MHP3HD for the PS3 years later.

I don't regret spending a single penny.

On second thought I kind of regret getting a PS3 because I traded in my PS2.

I started out with MHF2 after FUCKING GAMESTOP gave me the wrong game. (I was after MHF1 to play with a friend.) Then another classmate joined in, and then another. Next thing you know, we had a solid monster hunting group composed of lance/gunner, GS, hammer, and the useless longsword. We would rotate where we played and always made a big deal out of it. Snacks, strategies, etc. It was great. I was the new one in the group, so I had to play solo for a bit in order to catch up to their skill level. I think I spent a solid six hours on the Velicodrome before it all clicked. I ended up being the best of the group after the hundreds of hours we played together, and I was perfectly capable of soloing every monster in the game. Yes, even dual rajangs. It's been years since and we don't play together anymore, but my love for the series hasn't changed. I haven't played Generations yet, but I'm looking forward to trying out the new styles when my N3DS comes in.

It would be nice if areas would randomize a bit, or if you didn't have to sharpen a fucking hammer. Otherwise I got no complaints.

It's a soulless grindan. But it does offer some exploration, that requires some survival.

Bad for kids. Unethical.

Focus on more fun, cut out the monster killing. Use flying foxes etc, keep the survival stuff and the villages, many more villages like a real RPG, all 3D but fixed camera possibly for towns to focus design and simplify the layout.

Get rid of the stupid weapons and parasitism.

Disgusting series. Denzidens don't deserve to live, but neither do players.

Rather play Jap hunter I suppose.
Do the surviving, help the monsters remove the students, save their children etc. Ride monsters.

To make it work:

Monsters stay hostile.
Very hostile.
Same as boss battles, every one a boss until you get better with whatever way you use. Not killing them either. Battling them to break them up from eachother, both attacking you and such.

Beat one, look it over remove any weapons implanted in them, heal them. Hear them growl in the direction of cowards. Go that way. Rip apart students. Kill them all. Blood there.

As battling animals or existing amongst them they get use to you and unpassable areas filled with them become less hostile and you able to judge danger accurately.

Humans of course increasing in number, having weapons. Draw the line in between their legs and head in red.

Also a test of courage. Who attacks first or who keeps their standard continuously. Some animals will see you for what you are, but you have to be that, not pretend it, not become it. Have to stay you. And aprreciate them as their self.

Those bringing in stupidity do not belong.

Start another story in fixing them, which is a juxposition of total corruption and despair, greedy grabs at power, nothing earned, slavery the standards. See what they are building. See some alternatives and things that didn't survive but should have, do through you. Fix them and turn away mankind from taking. Some sort of animal relationship where co-operation doesn't entail dependence. Enemies of hunger etc replace made up enemies that can be easily defeated, of heartingly, seemed to, scapegoats proving to be the best people. Not just in having the perspective of the other side of cowardice either. Their own thing. Mystery from there.

I've seen this guy post here from time to time and i think he's either legitimately schizophrenic or just very, very bored.

Your reality is where your stupidity is standard. It is only amongst yourselves.

The timed you've played games, is not what matters, what matters is how many games you have played. You also have to be a virgin, faggot

You haven't played games since birth. At best you're at 24 years of experience.

I want to play Monster Hunter, not Vegetarian Hunter

Posting this in every open Monster Hunter related thread. First pic is a screenshot of a leaked Rom for Generations, 2nd pic is a user's translation of the actual dialogue during said part of game.

Not a leaked rom, review copy.

Source: that's my pic

No, you go online and let other people with endgame equipment play for you.

If it just said "get good" and contextualised the language, you could almost get anyway with it, but because they actually wrote "git gud" memespeak, it sounds shit and completely unnatural ingame.

Why did I not see this kind of outrage on 4U's release? That script was pretty cringey too.

If it's your review copy then why don't you bash the translation?

I'm pretty sure 4u had zero meme speak and made their own memes by making guild girl have a fetish for monsters.

Because, as much as I might dislike it, it won't detract from most players experience with the game. It's not like the story or dialogue is worth a damn to begin with.

Were you born on top of a pong machine?

I always looked forward to speaking with Ace Cadet in the game. His lines are too stupid to not love.

This. I would have NEVER made it to G-Rank without people simply carrying me.

God speed user.

No. From the looks of it, they're using the script as a soap box to bitch at the "git gud" mentality people have. This only furthers my belief that most localizers like this are SJWs or the type of terrible people that turn into them.

I want to fuck the Guildmarm's thighs.

NO. That was one of the fucking WORST parts of MH4U, along with basically all of the rest of the RNG overload in that game.

My father thinks same about fallout 4. Its just a game you are addicted to, it doesn't mean its a masterpiece.

perfect my ass

Yeah, I get that. You didn't read what I said.

High level taste anyway.

Perfection is an impossible taste. Cross significantly reduced grinding though by using a better upgrade system that was originally only avaliable in 3rd I believe.

At this point, I care less about that. It's worth noting though, that they fucking lied to us about the lack of meme inclusion, even if it's an offhand mention and not explicit use. I agree with you.

Except for variant armors. Variant armors are a crock of shit to grind because they take an absolute minimum of 30 hunts each just to finish upgrading, oh and they're functionally worthless until they're upgraded too.

Played 3u on wiiu and its bretty gub. Wondering if I should get a 3ds for the others.

Yeah I read about that in a review.

4U and Cross are great, you should homebrew the 3DS and go ahead and grab em.
The WiiU port of 3U was kind of shitty tbh.

Second version with more context about it from the Vita thread it was originally posted in.

Wait did you even play MHX? Why are you talking about it as if you played it when you didn't?

Because I like Monster Hunter and like to stay up to date with the series. I was waiting for Generations to release but now I don't want to buy it.
Am I not allowed to talk about a game I really want to play?

I'm 30 and came out the womb playing video games. Wat.

I want what you're smoking.

Get PPSSPP and MHFU. It works perfectly fine online, you do need a controller though.

Get out.

Play FU on pc man, it's almost as good as 3U

Why the fuck do all of these characters have these absolutely retarded quirks? The Kokoto chief thinks he's a movie star and keeps acting all showy, thinking that he's a hero and that everyone loves him, when he was just a grumpy, and old, but actually kind of caring man originally.

The Yukumo lady or whoever you got quests from in 3rd keeps saying shit like "you will do this" in place of "you can do this" and it's really weird. Normally she was incredibly polite, ladylike, and elegant but now she's just this weird lady who talks in a weird way.

This localization is actually terrible. I just want it to be accurate and respectful to the original games but these things keep throwing me off and shit.

I agree that anybody who doesn't button-mash through every scrap to text in a MonHan game is some kind of super autist, but whether it detracts from the game isn't the issue here.
The agenda is to put localizers out of business so that games stop being translated altogether and the good vidya can fade into niche obscurity where it can flourish once again.

Do your part.

We're in the minority on this.

Prepare to die. archive.is/FvCxa

Here's the image they are commenting about. RuPaul is some degenerate crossdressing nigger apparently.

RuPaul hasn't been relevant since the early 90s. Who the fuck ARE these faggot localizers? They write like meme-spouting 11-year-olds, yet they have cultural awareness of 30+ years.

I hope they choke on their pumpkin spiced lattes.

MH3rd HD and MHFU work perfectly on PPSSPP, you can even play them online.

Check this pastebin.com/GaKfEChk

Try the PSP ones first, wait a few months for the 3DS CFW to get more stable before buying one.

Why does this always happen to the things I love.

3DS CFW is stable as fuck now. The fuck are you talking about?

Not sure which version/entry you and are specifically talking about, but the series has been handled by 8-4 in the past for Monster Hunter Tri and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Wouldn't surprise me if they were involved again, but you'd have to check the credits to really be sure. Of course, with it being on the 3DS, it could always just be Treehouse/NoA faggotry, with them taking a page from Ireland's book on tossing in pop culture references (and not even actively current ones). Unlike 8-4, unfortunately neither NoA or Treehouse have their own wikipedia page to conveniently double check what they've worked on, at least from what I can find anyhow.

I think i should have said developed, like aside from playing ISO's there is not much going on the homebrew scene compared to what other "hacked" consoles can offer.

Oh and the bricking rate is still high, i know it's mostly due morons taking the memehax route when they can't follow instructions for shit but the risk is there and poorfags can't really afford to take it.

Isn't MH3rd pretty much the same thing as 3U though

MH3rd doesn't look like washed out garbage.

No, the fucking translation shouldn't be shit.

This is exactly why I've put off homebrew.

P3rd is piss easy and has a lot less content, no G rank, it has Tigrex and Amatsumagatsuchi though, also a better town.

Well I can't into monhun because I fucking hate tribal theme it has going for it.

You won't even see it if you just google "Monster Hunter", you'll get all those great monsters, cool ass armors, and intense screenshots and illustrations making you immediately play this.
But once you actually start playing - welcome to unga bunga village, dindu, here listen for these drums for the next 20 hours of your time and try to not go insane from it.
I just can't stomach it.
Needless to say that souls franchise having similar combat yet completely different setting and aesthetic is one of my all time favorites.

Over the years I got recommendations for other Monhun clones, but most of them turned out to be either garbage or completely irrelevant games.

It's 2016 and there still isn't a game to rival Monhun and not having tribal piece of shit setting.
An yes, being primarily on handhelds really hurts the game, it deserve proper full HD entry on real console or PC.

As someone who loves both, I need to tell you that you're bullshitting you nigger.

Fuck off retard, go get triggered elsewhere.

It really is?
At least as far as the beginning of the game in previous generation of Munhuns go, as I didn't play 3DS ones.
You have your stamina that is spent on everything other than walking, you have your movelist where every attack has its place and purpose, you have weapons that actually are different, you have enemies than can fuck your shit up when you're not careful.
I dunno how core combat system isn't similar.

Of course souls isn't a hunting game, so you don't lay traps, you don't cook food, you don't break parts of monsters, but controls and pacing are really fucking similar.

Did you even play the game fam?
Seriously, they're both action games and they're both kinda slow paced, but the combat is NOT similar.

Oh my god.

Don't really remember much about 3U but 3rd has superior HD textures.

You can use custom G-Rank though pastebin.com/8KPFN689

Where's the picture of the guy wearing a suit of armor made out of dinosaur heads?

Emulated 3rd has superior HD textures than the 3DS counterpart, because those textures are taken from the PS3 version, except for the UI which was left alone and looks like shit, you're basically comparing the PS3 version to the 3DS version instead of PS3 vs Wii-U or PSP vs 3DS.

Dude it's a mix of tribal, eastern, and fantasy. It's unlike anything I've ever seen in a game before and honestly I fucking adore the tribal setting.

It's some prehistoric shit and I love it.

Yo do know that people called Demon's Souls a monhun clone back then right?

They were wrong.

Hol up Wizard, so you play games since you were born?

Thanks for this dude, i'm going to try it out and hopefully get it working.

I've never played a monster hunter game.

It's 2 button shit with a predefined outcome.
I'd rather have Quake or one of it's offspring. Bonus points if I have access to a map editor and can start editing my own bots. Wouldn't even need new iterations

Also
No

Gear grind is 100% optional outside of multiplayer.
Just get good

It has its flaws but it's near 100% gameplay. Most of your points are spot on.

The difference being one of those is shit and the other is actually good.

Someone is shit at video games.

Maybe if they got rid of the time limit it'd be doable but until then the gear grind is unavoidable

You can get enough armor spheres from quest drops without having to repeat any and get enough materials for servicable g rank weapons without grinding. Grind is completely unnecessary. Stop being shit at games.

Maybe if you're lucky as fuck with your drops and that's not even mentioning grinding for ore and bugs. I've been playing since MHFU and I've gotten enough materials for a new weapon from a single hunt maybe a dozen times.
Even in the casual as fuck new game I've had to make dozens of trips to the volcano for dragonite.

alright

Yeah, he did this in that thread the other day about cel shading didn't he?

I haven't even mentioned armor, just weapons.
Monster Hunter is a grindfest. Fucking everybody who's played it knows that. If you want any of the cool armor or weapons you'll have to fight the same monster over and over until it gives up a plate or gem or whatever. You'll also have to go to mining, fishing, and bug spots over and over to get those materials.
Pokke/Resource/Caravan/Academy points? Grind for those too.

Question about MHFU.
Are guild quests that are marked with four stars (HR4) considered High Rank quests? It's because I need Union Ore for weapon, where earliest way to mine for it is to go to High Rank Volcano Quest and gather there.

Holla Forums never changes.

what a madman, 30 years of pure madness

2 completely different types of games.

The only different things are setting and combat style.

Do you people seriously not screen people who join your groups?
If someone isn't pulling their weight and obviously sucks too much to be fighting the current monster, you throw the fight and kick them from the lobby.

Don't reward leeches for leeching.

Noone plays monster hunter to get better loot.

I enjoy the monster hunts, but once you've mastered a monster, the only reason to ever fight it again is for loot - plates and gems and whatnot.

Oh I've seen this shitty argumen ITT.
Well you know noone plays Warframe for loot either.
both can play this game, hypocrite

You poor thing, also blogspost

I'm ok with grinding when the game is fun, but I never played Warframe. Is it fun?

Didn't say I did. I was speaking in general, it's not hard to find lobbies with some HR999 guy carrying people who literally just got the game and ran straight to multiplayer.

Completely untrue. People have thousands of hours in these games because the enjoy the gameplay. Fucking retards are out in droves today.

I play it for better loot among other things. Collecting armor and weapons that have cool look/ good stats is pretty big part of appeal for me.

I've played both, and I can say with honesty and objectivity that warframe's combat system is shallow garbage, and the only depth is to be found in its mod system, which ultimately has only a handful of "best builds" removing any reason to experiment.

Monster Hunter you can do whatever the fuck you want and you'll succeed by your skill alone. In Warframe, your success is tied to the numbers and only the numbers.

Once you can do something in your sleep, why would you do it again? What a waste of time.
At that point, it's time to switch monsters or, if you've mastered every monster, pick a new game.

Warframe is fun.
But once you fougght every boss once, and finished every type of mission once you've left with nothing to do but to replay the same shit on higher difficulties to get better gear.

The same as monhun basically.

Guess what people have thousands of hours in warframe because they enjoy its gameplay too.
Funny how some people can have different tastes right?

Monhun's combat isn't any deeper. You use the same attack in the same situations every fucking time, that's what "mastering monster" is. Great freedom for experiment huh?

Monhun's combat has multiple moves and multiple weapons.
Warframe's combat is just point and hold the shooty button until nothing's moving.

Well if you're pugging with some overgeared fucks or running level 10 missions then yeah maybe.

What. the fuck? Monster Hunter is much more fluid when it comes to big boss battles by far, I wouldnt call it similar at all just because you take your time drinking your health, Monster Hunter has things that actually work like armor and you need it end game. Also it has zero pvp, small mob monsters besides the fucking konchu's, rhenlops, and the little raptors.

Monster Hunter is trash and only autist who like boring repetitive gameplay enjoy it.

Pretty much this

What warframe has 80 bosses with different patterns then "they shoot the bullet/hit you really hard, or have a shield that you have to shoot the bullets at really fast".

Also Warframe has microtransactions, an incredibly nonexistent gear progression "oh you hit level 30, time to drop that weapon to grind mastery rank"

People compare it to Souls because combat in both games has similar features:
Now if someone released a game with these features it would be called Soulslike, despite MH having those features much earlier. That's why that term is stupid. If it used life/death system, world building and level design then I can understand.

None of that was in OPs retarded arguments tho.

Ok how the ever loving fuck do you unlock the extra carts etc for the trader?

Reddit is fucking useless on this subject, they list quests but I've done them and that fuckwad won't unlock more stuff like honey farm etc

Nah nigger, warframe is shallow shit, and so is monhun.

So you can skip grind. Yes it's retarded since game IS a grind. You can't skip grind in Monhun fortunately.

You're supposed to rerank your shit to add polarity slots. It's an ass-backwards system, but linear progression is in there.

Ever heard of metroidvania? You can't beat that.

I bet OP would fucking love Warframe to death.

Most faggots who are obsessive about Monster Hunter are new players who started playing with TRI, which is scary as hell.

They never experienced the first which was amazing in armor design, monster balance and design, the mat gain was grindy however.

Dos was even more of the good stuff before the recent games it had even more Monsters then any of the previous games.
However only for Japan, to play now you need a emulator.
It was masochistically hard, with herbs only growing for two seasons with blue mushrooms only growing for one it was incredibly grindy in some ways while easier in others.

The PSP games where all pretty much solid except for the fact they were on the PSP where you were fucking up your hand to play.

I haven't played any of the 3DS abominations and am not going to buy a Wii U for one game.
Not that I would want the game seems to have succumb to the same cancer that infected frontier.
Over the top animu weapons and armor, was going through generations armor and it all looks like over the top animu shit that I would think is G rank armor not normal tier.

That's pretty poor progression. Even by adding polarity slots the effect on the weapon is "you can put a mod there for half the normal cost". The weapon itself doesn't really change much because it's mostly designed around grinding for mastery, it takes not too long to max a weapon, throw a potato at it, repeat to have a weapon that you use maybe once in a bit to grind out parts for a different weapon/frame or alerts.
Also "you can skip the grind" isn't a defense. I dislike MH but at least it has the conviction to go "yeah this is a grinding game tough it out" as opposed to Warframe which "oh pay us money for the new frame or grind to fuck and back little good goy".
Warframe has a cyclical progression because it's designed for them to shit out a new weapon and then you go grind it out, you can never really be finished, and as a shitty MMOFPS that system works.

Did we play the same Greatsword?
Also Generations has no G-rank, the Hunter Artes should not exist, and the style system has next to no thought put into it.

Gen 1 monhun is the same as gen 1 pokemon. A broken mess that was only good for its time.

Agreed, though we're far off from the lance and DS being the only viable weapons in the face of monsters straight out of some jap teenager's web novel spamming aoes that extend to the entire area. Just look at this shit.

I'm not defending warframe here. Yes it's shit even in meta sense with microtransactions and crafting wait times. At least monhun is honest buy to play game without any of that.

Cross came out in November, what on Earth were you waiting for?

Shouldn't be, but you're never going to have good translations except the ones you make for yourself. Never trust other people's translations. Besides, the real problem is that if games are made with the West in mind, they're going to get crippled and ruined, like Fire Emblem was starting with 7 admittedly, that was also due to Kaga leaving, but that was 6's problem more, and 7 is the one that decided 10 stage required tutorials were a good idea

Hes had a new show.

Fuck off, autist.

Are you some sort of a village shaman?

Because it was done horribly
The devs behind monhun are shit at regular level design, so it's no miracle that they would fuck up procedural generation

This isn't even a case of "git gud", this is a case of "actually fucking play the game"

I miss the magic of playing monster hunter tri on the big screen with my guild.

The multiplayer is a ton of fun.

Why did they have to exclusively make it handheld? Why can't monster hunter online get localized?

I bet you hated Golden Sun as well, faggot.

It's handheld because japs love mobile shit.

Probably because capcom doesn't think it's worth it to bring over mmos like DDO or Frontier

Yes yes

All heil superior grourious nippon gaymen.

Are either of these titles worth it? are they nearly as good as any monster hunter? I hear alot of mixed things about them? which one is better?

feed me

To be fair, it can become a grindfest if you NEED a weapon with certain sharpness to fight a upcoming monster properly and the RNG drops fucking hate you.

The appeal is that the "grind" is fun and if you have UNFUN then change monster.

I keep fighting "crap" monsters if they intrude (or for Free Hunt) LONG after their drops were obsolete because i actually like fighting them and i doubt im the only one.

FFXIV "Zodiac/Anima/Animus/Zeta Weapon" Grind or Disgaea "Gotta hit level 99999999999999999999 so i can reincarnate and do it again" it ain't.

Only played the first God Eater on PSP, better then Soul Sacrifice, Not as good as MonHun, too much focus on "story" for my taste and the monsters were kinda bland, both in design and behaviour.

I played GEB on the psp. I'm a big monster hunter fan and enjoyed it quite a bit. It is pretty different from MH though. More story, less weapons and monster variety, less meaningful gear, faster gameplay. It still provides the fun of hunting big shit. Plus you don't have actual armor so your clothing is all just for looks, which makes playing dress up easier. I'd say it is worth playing but do not expect just a MH clone.

what a casual, im 32 and i have played 40 years of vidya.

toukiden is so easy it's not even funny

you can just stand and watch npcs beating the game for you

does god eater follow the formula that MH uses? dismembering and fighting bosses to upgrade gear, with a constant, seemingly endless path of upgrades to progress in a constantly changing game? i like how in NH it feels like every time i go into battle, ive got atleast some new shit to try out.

does god eater have that feeling?

i played a demo of it and yes. the NPCs wipe mobs faster than me… but they get killed in boss battles. im not disagreeing, it is easy i assumed it has difficulty levels though, right?

Toukiden Kiwami's NPC's will absolutely rip and tear any enemy for a good chunk of the game. But once you start taking on harder missions your allies won't be doing as much and you'll actually have to start pulling your weight. Story missions are generally easy while the multiplayer missions are more difficult.

I concur 3/3, what puts me off is that you have to kill the monster. I would like a game where you have to hug the monster, and perhaps even caress the monster. Nice.

u wot m8

I'd play Monster Petter, monsters are a cute, C-U-T-E!

Especially giant violent carnivorous ones.

IIRC it does, but doesn't really have the same "WEAR THEIR SKIN" style of design and a load of "Same weapon, different colour", was fucking ages since i played though so i might be misremembering.

I didn't realize game mechanics applied retroactively, faggot.

It's also not really about whether or not you need to do it. Most of the stuff you'd want in the game even for cosmetic reasons is "Grind X things til you get Y items". Not everyone wants to do autistic naked-soulsborne-tier runs

I just checked that part of the game. The Japanese text the user posted and translated is what she says before you accept the quest, and the English text in the screenshot is what she says after you accept the quest. It looks like the user translated the wrong part.

Yeah, why can't we play assfaggots and shooters instead?

I took screenshots of the dialogue in that part in the Japanese version. No idea what it says, though

I'll link these posts to the Vita thread, as that's where the user that translated the earlier text was from. Maybe he can do some quick translations from the screenshots if he's around.

it says " git gud, wat are u? casul?" I know since I learned Japanese in high school 15 years ago:^)

According to an user there ( , ) that attempted to translate, there's still nothing along the lines of the character complaining about the notion of getting good.

上手になる。カジュアルしているの?

It's a great game, the newer entries biggest flaws are that they are only on 3DS though. I'd love to see a PC or console release so I can play it on a bigger screen.

Maybe when Citra's developed enough or develops a widescreen hack or something but until then you get to put up with a 3DS or 2DS.

Shit. My bad.

"When you want to know information about a Monster, you should open the …"

"And look at the in the "

"If the information isn't yet (listed?)… You should go talk to the "

"And with that, off you go! Good luck, Hunter!"

I'll never get the people that bitch about the over the top weapons, it's like you hate fun.

PQube doesn't alter any content and includes duel audio in their games.