FATAL FRAME / PROJECT ZERO 零

FATAL FRAME / PROJECT ZERO 零

Tier list?
Best versions?
Shit list?

I've played 1,3,4 and Wiimake. I've played Wiimake multiple times. I've played 4 twice now. The rest once. I've never beaten the game beyond Normal, maybe Hard on Wiimake. Beaten the Wii ones on native then emulator.

Having just beaten 4 again, honestly the Wii games are dogshit. I knew this much already as the same pains come up everytime I tell myself I'm going to play through them to get all the endings and shit. They're great for extras, lots of pretty costumes with fuckable TecmoKoei characters to keep things fresh, more recent visuals.

However, everything about the gameplay is about wasting your time and not much else. Picking up everything up is a minigame, load times are now awful, running speed is awful (only reason I rebeat Wii games on emulator is cause they have movement speed increase to 6x at button press). Particularly in games where exploring all past areas after every chapter is key to finding everything on offer. It's torture. Cannot see all around character at all times. 4 is super casual because you can buy a million health boosts and powerful film with the points you get. Aiming is now done automatically and just waiting for the right moment. Aiming up and down at points is done by tilting the wiimote which is fucking awful. Long ass areas to run through just to find the right event trigger.

I fired up the first game on PCSX2 just for curiousity and holy fuck it's so much better. Even in the first few minutes you can get stuff done by just doing it, where as the new ones are deteremined to consume as much time as possible. Thanks RE4.

They also have classic RE controls and full retard controls in the older games, where as the Wii games are RE4 style only.

Worth noting the first game is 60fps and looks so pleasing on the eyes. Watching some Xbox gameplay via youtube it looks to be the best version, even rivalling PCSX2. I'm interested to know if the 2nd game on Xbox is 60fps as well but I suspect that's a no. 3rd game is PS2 only so 30fps only like 2nd game.

I knew the older games were much better, but I was more inclined towards higher polygon waifus, but now I feel it needs to be said that people should stay the fuck away from the wii games at all costs.

I used to think 2 was the best one (just from playing the wiimake), but thinking back 3 years to when I first did a single playthrough of the 4 games, I would dare to suggest 1 and 3 are the best. For me, 2 has too much running around between the locations, where as 1 and 3 are more compact. 3's twist actually seems interesting in hindsight for the multi-character approach for the first time in the series changing your approach, though I do remember the time-limit portion of the game being ballbreaking when trying to find what you're looking for.

3 does have the story piece in between chapters which could be a hassle if I went for multiple difficulties in succession, but I would prefer it compared to 2's running simulator all the time.

So all this interest came about out of nowhere, apart from I've bought a Wii U again because I sperged out on an eBay auction and I'm on the fence about whether to splash on the physical version of Project Zero V. I've hard some bad things, but I'm sure it's worth one playthrough? The running speed looks improved, Wii U gamepad might actually be really good for the game. Not sure about door loading times. Funny enough I flipped two copies of the limited release for a profit at release so I deserve to pay $100 for a copy. Shame about the bikinis but it will do for now until a few years and Wii U emulator with modded ISO etc. Dunno how CFW Wii U is and whether they already have it all fixed already, but I want this Wii U for playing online and I'm not sure what FW it's on.

I really want to like this series. The concept is great. I love the parts where you're just wandering around creepy old Japanese ruins, but then the combat starts and it isn't fun anymore. I have bought multiple of these games, hoping that this will be the one where they finally get the combat just right, but it never is.

Only played 1,2,5 Think I enjoyed 2 the most. Loved the setting compared to the others.
5 is alright, the Wii U gamepad works great. Only downside about the game is that it's separated into many smaller chapters.
Going to try 3 soon, just need to bother to setup the emulator.

I've only finished the 2nd (Xbox version) and 3rd Fatal Frame game

I couldn't tell you which one I liked more.

You can softmod the Wii U and still play online since the latest firmware (5.5.1) works with the softmod. I have yet to play 5 since I need to learn Japanese and I refuse to buy or play the censored versions.

4's controls are garbage and too easy. 2 Wii made the auto aim not so heavy and the final boss was a challenge. BOTH have waggle which I hate.

Like you, I also like 3 the most but then I have 2 Wii right after it. Just make sure to play either the undub or the Japanese version unless you like chav dubs.

who the fuck came up with this retarded name

The Jap name is "Zero".

The series has always been garbage tbh, not even scary anymore. It's just saggy anime ass and tits freakshow at this point.

japs are retarded

I see where you're coming from. Combat can take quite a while to resolve in certain situations and it doesn't feel like it changes enough for what it is. I mainly get kicks out of the survival horror + arcade (Kamiya?) type combo in being efficient and scoring high.

So basically there's no "open world" type approach that opens up more as you move on? If I understood, I could see this only being a small benefit as it means less "exploring" (basically you go back over more and more area as the game world grows larger to find what little autist-bait items and encounters the devs have placed off the path you're supposed to be taking, after every single chapter, just to be sure), but otherwise it could make it phoned in linear shit like every good ol' classic game has to do now because of budget limitations and shit while they convince us it's a good thing.

Do you know what the framerate was? Wondering if I should buy a shitbox 360 to play the 2 games in best way with most extras. Embedded a video of the first game on Xbox at 60fps.

I've only ever played the first game in Japanese and only had to look up help to get translations of Jap number symbols. Played, undub of wiimake and 3. Personally I would just play the English dubbed versions these days. I know what it meant to care though. Wiimakes dub is pretty gud.

Zero by itself would be a good name for finding something in English. Jap title is just Zero.

I was supposed to say wouldn't* be a good name. It's too plain.

Probably sounds cooler to a Japanese person. The English langauge is exotic to them.

Speaking of the games, why did japan during that era have such elaborate ceremonies for what is essentially a torture/killing room?

For anyone who wants to emulate the games.

I've always been under the impression that they were never really used, but more of a religious craft thing to encourage people to be nice or bad things will happen.

There's the blind priests in 2.

"Zero" doesn't sound that bad

In this case it wasn't in English, but rather it was 零, the Japanese word for zero.

Its been a while since I last played the Xbox version of 2, so I couldn't tell tell if you if it was awful (Don't remember having any drops)

Thanks Nintendo.

no problem user

I'm encountering the no-targeting PCSX2 bug now that I've reached the 2nd enemy. Really shitty being forced to play software mode. Thinking hard about buying some shitbox to play the first 2, 2nd has a bunch of extras as well. I can't stop buying stupid shit lately though, otherwise it would be an easier decision.

I think if you enter software mode and then back to hardware mode it'll work for a while, but I can't remember. When I made my image it was long after I played Fatal Frame 1, and I did the whole thing in software mode.

Another fun thing is Fatal Frame 1 on OPL CRASHSES on picking up the first item in the game. I don't know if any item after the first item will crash it, as I never tested it.

I should read my own image. I guess it works anyways if you use a non GSM version.
Still an annoyance.

I'm playing through 2 again with a friend, I forget how much I loved Fatal Frame 2 because no one ever talks about it
>tfw you encounter the Kusabi for the first time and try to take a picture of him
>that feeling during that part you lose your camera

Playing on the latest version of PCSX2, the no-targeting bug can be avoided by using OpenGL Hardware, but you cannot see the ghost until after you hit them once and even then it's weird. So it's either that or Xbox with its extra costumes, difficulties, modes and shit. But £55~ to play some 10 year old games on a whim, I must be crazy.

Really want to know if Xbox version of 2 is higher framerate.

What the fuck are those flabs on their sides?
If I recall anatomy, even if you have a little body fat, that sort of flabs shouldnt exist.
What the fuck is wrong with the mother's bellybutton?
Why is her left arm shorter than her right one?
Why does the ( supposed ) daughter have her hips weirdly bloat to the sides?
it doesnt create illusion of big ass or wide hips, just weird bloated hips.
What is wrong with the daughter's chest, there's just an empty space of skin color?
Why do her breasts look like implants?
If they were to look like they were small tits, they'd start higher, also parts of her ribcage would be visible in all that empty space.
Why does the mother's stomache defy all logic, there's no symmetry at all?

Sure at first glance it looks believable and possibly hot for someone but as an artist, drawings this fucked just trigger me

Also the mother's left breast is bigger than her right one
There's literally no sense of perspective here

Virgin. :^)

She's just a tall girl.

Played 2 Wii some time ago and couldn't beat the final boss, any tips or how much film to have before fighting it. (also couldn't stand the unskippable cutscene and long path leading to said boss which have to be repeat if you die).

Remember Nintendo is the reason why the "Haunted House" mode was put into the 2 Wii version.

Anyone played the Haunted House mode in 2 player?

Or tried the co-op co-assist in the story mode where a 2nd player can press a button in time when the first takes a photo to deal extra damage?

come on son
you're given the power to make things perfect and you'd take the chance to fuck it up?

What difficulty are you on?

>using a clip

Normal. It was my first time playing a FF game, and it sounded like good difficulty to start with.

I feel like I fucked up earlier on in the game after not realising that the lenses have to be manually activated with the d-pad. Because for some stupid reason I thought their effect was passive/always on.

I'm strongly considering scrubbing that save file and just restarting entirely on easy. Because I think I may have put myself into an near unwinnable state with the amount of film I have left at the very end.

I'm pretty sure there's some film on the long path to the boss. You'll have to either kill the enemies with weak film or avoid them altogether.

The boss itself you need patience, since the fatal frame opportunities trigger after his first swing. If you're too far away he'll throw projectiles at you, which are difficult to avoid. I think he has a different melee attack that's faster, but it looks completely different.

I think in 2 Wii the lense powers are all used at once, which is a new thing, so if you want you can remove some lenses to use less power. I don't know if you realised that while playing. In all the other games you only used one at a time and cycled through them.

Guys, what if they make a game based on a camera obscura app on a HAUNTED cell phone?

Fatal Frame series pretty much died after it went to Nintendo.

Fatal Frame 2 will always be the scariest game ever, too bad it didn't sell.

If you're insinuating augmented reality there's Spirit Camera on 3DS, and it's garbage.

Is there some kind of uncensored, undubbed version but with English text like the Xenoblade one ?

Nah, i'm talking about something akin to the red room urban legend.

Is getting zero shots/fatal frames easier than it was in 2? In the second one I was literally walking up the the enemies to get them while in the 1st ghosts moved erratic as shit and teleported constantly on top of the fatal frames having slim timing windows. Though the second game being easy was probably because I played on normal.

I don't know, I haven't checked in a while. I think 5 has dual audio.

2 (not the remake) is unique in that damage is based on distance and not charge time.

I can't fucking do a playthrough of the first game in software mode. Even if I do get the OGXbone it's still going to be full of jaggies too. PCSX2 are a bunch of lazy incompetent fucks. Brings no joy when every edge is stabbing you in the eyes.

fullscreen shit resolution

Play in a 1024x768 window and make your desktop wallpaper a dark gray so your eyes can adjust properly to the game. That's the best you can do.

Remember, screenshots in PCSX2 are the internal resolution and aren't 4:3! You got to resize them yourself.

It's unplayable for me. Just going to go with 3 for now. Played 2 too many times on Wii (havent played original) to move to the original version of that next, more likely to burn out that way.

Don't be a graphics fag. I'm sure you can handle jaggies.

ELDER GOD TIER
Fatal Frame 3

GREAT TIER
Fatal Frame 2

GOOD TIER
Fatal Frame 5
Fatal Frame 1

WORTH EMULATING I GUESS TIER
Fatal Frame 4

Also, 3 heavily references 1 and 2 so you shouldn't jump to it yet.

For me it's

1 > 2 = 5 > 4 > 3 > SC

1 has the best sense of difficulty and atmosphere. Himuro Mansion is a top tier setting, and combat has generally felt a bit less tense in each game since IMO, especially when fighting old monks - seriously, I run from those guys if I can, they aren't worth the effort. It also has the best rendition of the broken neck ghosts by miles.

2 and 5 are equal for me because they both falter and excel in certain areas. 2 has the best pacing in the series hands down but the combat is the easiest, shifting from a charge-based system to a distance-based one, and while most games drown you in herbal medicines 2 is especially bad about it. 5 has subpar pacing and a metric shitton of backtracking but I adore the combat. All I wanted out of the WiiU was a Fatal Frame where the gamepad was the Camera Obscura and 5 nailed that element. It's admittedly dodgy elsewhere but I stop caring when spinning around in my room like a madman trying to snap ghosts. Game single handedly justifies the console IMO.

4's alright. The shift in setting was a nice touch and it did evoke one of my favorite moments in the series with the room with the mannequin head. Honestly, if it weren't for the glaring technical issues I'd say it's almost as good as 2.

3 was simply too bloated for its own good. It has the longest run time of any of the games easily, with house sections that mostly feel like filler aside from a couple good scares. It wasn't anything that Silent Hill 4 didn't do better, though. And then there's the meat of the game itself, where I was ready for it to end right when the miasma parts kicked it. Still a decent game, Rei is hot as fuck, but while I gave 5 shit for its pacing I think that game still flowed better than 3 did which says something.

Spirit Camera is basically spooky Face Raiders but I actually like it, it just doesn't hold a candle to a proper Fatal Frame game. The campaign was short but sweet AR fun, and the extras were fun, especially Spirit Photography which paired well with Swapnote when that was still a thing. Really, the game was let down more by the 3DS' underwhelming hardware than the actual concept itself, namely the shitty camera so you can't actually play it in the dark.

My main gripe with 3 is because of my turbo autism in which I must search every corner of the house when you return. Most of the stuff seems to happen around Yuu's shrine as the wall stains have already started to appear. No spoilers please. I like to be surprised. Does feel like there's a downtime just when things are going to pickup pace. But it's an autism problem, probably irrelevant on further playthroughs as you just jump straight back in mostly.

I finally played the PS2 trilogy last year. Really enjoyed them. III was kind of annoying at times, but it was good overall. Had a lot of trouble getting into the fourth game though, I stopped partway through chapter 7 and haven't gone back yet. Don't know why I can't get into that one.

Cause it's shit user. You have taste to notice, while I tortured myself through wiimake and 4 just for high poly waifu dressup potential. It's also easy as fuck. I finished the game with 3 million points nearly. That was enough to buy 100's of health items and film, and buy everything I unlocked at the shop. I went exploring to find everything and find all the hidden dolls which I'm surprised I managed to do, and the game took me 10+ hours of recorded time. During most of that I was doing fucking nothing and I was doing it with the help of a 6x run speed boost thanks to emulator cheat.